PDA

View Full Version : Lots of late starters this year?

HDLV
05-10-2017, 11:50
Well, initially I was going to make a post asking if there were any other late starters hitting the dusty trail on the weekend of the 20th. My registered start date is the 21st and I just realized the bus to campo doesn't run on the weekends and was looking to see if anyone wanted to split a shuttle.

However, before posting I went to the PCTA website to check out how many people had registered start dates for that weekend and I'm seeing that almost every day of this month is booked 50/50. Could this be true or did they simply close up all these dates early? I thought i was starting late. Maybe not...

HooKooDooKu
05-10-2017, 12:05
I don't have much insight into PCT hikers, other than I know that the PCT and JMT share a lot of mileage through the Sierra Nevada mountains.

What I do know is that there's been a lot of chatter in the JMT Facebook Group because of the snow levels this year.
These graphs of water content in the snow pack of the Sierra Nevada mountains (http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/swcchart.action) show that this years snow pack is running about 150% to 175% of normal. That's pushing a lot of JMT thru hikers to delay their hikes for either later in the year or simply a later year.

Since PCT hikers have to go thru much of the same stuff, I could see where many hikers might be delaying their start rather than skipping the Sierra Nevada mountains.

AllDownhillFromHere
05-10-2017, 17:17
I'd say you're later than many, given that the permits went fast, and there's people at mile 600 already. There was also various fail around the permit server crashing, showing all open days, the notice not being clear about when the process began, etc. Either way, it's probably a blessing in disguise - the snow levels in the mountains are epic as HooKooDooKu says, so giving them a little time to simmer down isn't a bad thing. It's the 2000 mile race from KM to Canada before October that you need to really worry about.

I'm starting May 14, not by choice, but I think it will work. Just pull 20s for 4 months straight, how hard could it be?

This is also a good link for snow, a little more tactical - http://www.postholer.com/snow/Pacific-Crest-Trail/1

Malto
05-10-2017, 18:39
Let's look at some numbers. I started May 21st 2011 and there were three other hikers that I know of that started that day. This year there are 50 if everyone who has a permit starts and nobody without that days permit doesn't. I believe I was the last NOBO starter to finish. This year there will be 50 starting on May 22, another 49 or 50 starting every day for the next few. So yeah, there are a whole lot more late starters than previous years, even previous high snow years.

Venchka
05-10-2017, 19:42
It's a shame we don't have don't have permitted starters versus actual starters. That information might invalidate the permit system.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDLV
05-10-2017, 20:47
I have a feeling it must be a website glitch or they closed out the dates. I just feel like people would be talking about such a heavy month. This is a screenshot from the site.

Malto
05-10-2017, 20:49
I have a feeling it must be a website glitch or they closed out the dates. I just feel like people would be talking about such a heavy month. This is a screenshot from the site.
I have watched the photos of the border monument and there have been hoards of hikers. It can't imagine the amount of poo that is near every possible campsite listed in Guthook. It almost takes the appeal out of hiking that trail again.

HDLV
05-11-2017, 05:34
I have watched the photos of the border monument and there have been hoards of hikers. It can't imagine the amount of poo that is near every possible campsite listed in Guthook. It almost takes the appeal out of hiking that trail again.

Ive been watching closely myself and have not seen anywhere near the suggested 1000+ people suggested by the site. People these days don't miss the chance to post something like their starting pictures to social media. As far as I've heard poop has always been a problem unfortunately.

HDLV
05-11-2017, 05:34
Also question still stands. Anyone on here starting that weekend?

lonehiker
05-11-2017, 06:25

Fortunately there are countless sites not listed. Hope I didn't give a deep dark secret away...

AllDownhillFromHere
05-11-2017, 08:06
It's the curse of Guidebook Culture, it used to be the same thing with the Wingfoot AT book. Everyone whipped out their books and went to the same bar, the same shelter, the same scenic overview, as if you were missing something and not doing it "right" if you deviated. Nowadays it's the same with gear, too. What, you don't have a ZPack Eleventy TarpTentPackBag? Dude, how can you hike? Does anyone know if the PCT guidebook (blue & red and small) is like the AT guide book, a simple listing of mileages, peaks, streams and road crossings?

Sorry for derailing you HDLV. Happy trails man.

Wyoming
05-13-2017, 19:40
I started last year on May 9th right in the middle of a large number of days with the 50 max, but the trail was never crowded nor the camping overwhelmed at other than a few spots. Lake Morena, Hiker Heaven were really packed of course. The only place really ugly was Kennedy Meadows were there were about 100 hikers just at the area around the store and that place was disgustingly filthy (of the 8 portajohns there was not one where the poop was not higher than the seat - I assume everyone was heading out into the trees in the nearby area and can't imagine what that must have been like).

The real issue this year is not the late starters as about now is the right time to have started really. It is the 2000 early starters who are up ahead hiking slow, getting fat and sitting around losing conditioning and then, when the snow gets down, are going to charge en mass into the Sierras. That is going to be a mess as just when they do this the group which started at a better time are going to be catching up to them and then will all bunch up together. It might be interestingly epic. I imagine some interesting stories coming.

gwschenk
05-17-2017, 10:48

After what I saw at Wrightwood last year, there's no way I'd want to be on the trail in that mess. Fortunately once you get a few hundred yards away from the PCT you have peace and quiet once again.

-Ghost-
05-18-2017, 17:26
Also question still stands. Anyone on here starting that weekend?
I also start May 21st. Name is Ty but I'll be going by Ghost from my AT hike. Staying with Bob Saturday night. I'll probably see ya out there this Sunday!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HDLV
05-18-2017, 23:44
I also start May 21st. Name is Ty but I'll be going by Ghost from my AT hike. Staying with Bob Saturday night. I'll probably see ya out there this Sunday!

nice! We fly into San Diego Saturday. How do you plan on getting to the trail head?

-Ghost-
05-19-2017, 07:30
nice! We fly into San Diego Saturday. How do you plan on getting to the trail head?
Bob Reiss is picking me up Saturday at 930p and hosting me for the night. Then taking me to the trailhead on Sunday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Desertdave
05-28-2017, 22:21
Just a note on epic snow pack...Tioga, Sonora and Ebbetts pass's are still closed with no real expected open dates. I was up near Ebbettes last weekend and spoke with a sherrif who was headed up the past the closed gate. He said he thought it may open around the end of July! They are using excavators on Tioga to pull the snow down to the snow blowers.... 10-12 feet on pavement at this time. The below pic is 3 weeks ago at the PCT trail head on 88, Carson Pass. Yup. Gonna be a late season.....

Venchka
05-30-2017, 16:52
May 25, 2017. The NOBO HOBOS, Sarah & Matt, reached Kennedy Meadows. Sarah had a Banana Split appetizer before dinner.
Y'all go!
https://nobohobos.wordpress.com/about/
Wayne

Venchka
06-15-2017, 07:03
June 14, 2017. The NOBO HOBOS, Sarah & Matt, reached the base of Forester pass.
Apparently, hikers ahead of them have crossed over Forester.
Wayne

egilbe
06-15-2017, 07:49
June 14, 2017. The NOBO HOBOS, Sarah & Matt, reached the base of Forester pass.
Apparently, hikers ahead of them have crossed over Forester.
Wayne

Younggun and his gf crossed Forester pass a week or so ago, according to his flicker pics. Lots of snow still.

https://www.flickr.com/x/t/0189006/photos/younggunthehiker/

Venchka
06-15-2017, 10:34
Younggun and his gf crossed Forester pass a week or so ago, according to his flicker pics. Lots of snow still.

https://www.flickr.com/x/t/0189006/photos/younggunthehiker/

And lots of 32.1 degree water approaching waist deep. No fun at all.
No resupply in site. Maybe Mammoth or June Lake? A long way from KM and the HOBOS are doing 8 mile days.
Wayne

gwschenk
06-15-2017, 17:56
No resupply in site. Maybe Mammoth or June Lake?

There's plenty of eastside passes to bail from.

Venchka
06-15-2017, 18:53
There's plenty of eastside passes to bail from.

If that's true, why do always hear about the places that are closed and no opening dates mentioned?
After bailing over an east side pass, where are you?
Wayne

Malto
06-15-2017, 19:27
If that's true, why do always hear about the places that are closed and no opening dates mentioned?
After bailing over an east side pass, where are you?
Wayne

Lone pine, independence, Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, lee vining, maybe big pine and June lake
, twin lakes and Bridgeport.

Venchka
06-15-2017, 20:15
I got 2 right. Without a map. [emoji106][emoji1][emoji41]
Thanks.
Wayne

Miner
06-15-2017, 21:54
Kearsarge Pass (side trail just after Forester pass) is often used by PCT Hikers who then hitch down into Independence or Lone Pine. Afterwards, most hikers stop at Vermillon Valley Resort (while the resort is in the process of opening, resupply pickups are available now) on Lake Edison which is 1.5 days before Red's Meadow. And while the road to Red's Meadow is still closed, you can hike to the town of Mammoth Lakes on a side trail just before it, or hike the closed road. And as Malto mentioned, there are other options out the east side to Highway 395, they just aren't used as often as the ones I mentioned. So plenty of resupply opportunities available today. While Hwy 120 through Tuolumne Meadows is still closed so no resupply there, the highway over Sonora Pass is open, so Kennedy Meadows North or town of Bridgeport is available after hitching. And the closed roads are getting closer to opening every day as crews work on clearing snow.

Venchka
06-16-2017, 17:19
A loose group just north of Forester are taking about going to Bishop.
I looked at the PCT data sheet yesterday and VVR was listed as closed with no projected opening date. ????
Wayne

Venchka
06-16-2017, 18:00
A loose group just north of Forester are taking about going to Bishop.
I looked at the PCT data sheet yesterday and VVR was listed as closed with no projected opening date. ????
Wayne

They are about 8 miles down the side trail to Bishop.
Wayne

Miner
06-16-2017, 21:22
Get VVR info straight from their mouth: http://www.edisonlake.com/ They say open today, but when they were closed last week, they still stated on their website that resupply packages were available for pickup.

Venchka
06-17-2017, 00:00
Ok. Thanks.
Wayne

Venchka
06-23-2017, 11:22
Kearsarge Pass (side trail just after Forester pass) is often used by PCT Hikers who then hitch down into Independence or Lone Pine. Afterwards, most hikers stop at Vermillon Valley Resort (while the resort is in the process of opening, resupply pickups are available now) on Lake Edison which is 1.5 days before Red's Meadow. And while the road to Red's Meadow is still closed, you can hike to the town of Mammoth Lakes on a side trail just before it, or hike the closed road. And as Malto mentioned, there are other options out the east side to Highway 395, they just aren't used as often as the ones I mentioned. So plenty of resupply opportunities available today. While Hwy 120 through Tuolumne Meadows is still closed so no resupply there, the highway over Sonora Pass is open, so Kennedy Meadows North or town of Bridgeport is available after hitching. And the closed roads are getting closer to opening every day as crews work on clearing snow.

Venchka
06-25-2017, 23:03
Latest from the NOBO HOBOS.
Super Hero Hiker Breeze finished the desert in 30 days. He then hiked through the Sierras in 40 days. The PCT is snow free north of Sierra City to Crater Lake.
https://nobohobos.wordpress.com/2017/06/24/episode-58-in-which-sarah-issues-a-bizarre-proclamation-we-encounter-a-superhero-and-bridges-save-the-day/
Wayne

Miner
06-26-2017, 00:56
When I drove to southern Oregon 2 weeks ago from SoCal for a wedding, there was still snow in the mountains from Castle Craggs SP going north. In fact, I got snowed on south of Klammath Falls as drove along Hwy 97 when it went above 4500ft. I stopped by Saied Valley for breakfast at the cafe and they recently had 2 hikers going SOBO through from Ashland. One said that if he had been alone, he would have turned back from the snow.

That said, its been a warm 2 weeks since then.

AllDownhillFromHere
06-26-2017, 10:16
The postholer snow chart shows massive melting, and CA water charts now show southern Sierra below average, with the northern parts right behind it. With 110+ temps in the latest heatwave people heading up now are going to be in great shape.