PDA

View Full Version : 2017 AT Museum H.O.F. Inductees. Hmmm...

capehiker
05-10-2017, 12:21
I have agreed with every choice of inductee since the charter class of 2011, but this is the first year I'm left scratching my head. A good majority of the inductees are faces from behind the scenes of the trail. It's what I like the best about who the committee selects. These are people who have tirelessly championed the trail and made an impact.

With that being said, I'm flummoxed as to why Peace Pilgrim is being inducted? I get that she is technically the first woman to complete the AT, but that is where her involvement ends in the AT community. There's no long standing campaigning for preserving the AT corridor, or anything activist related. Nope, it was a stepping stone that launched her place in this world.

For the record- I'm not against what Peace Pilgrim stood for or anything like that. I just believe those induced into the HOF, especially this early into the lifespan of the HOF, should have significant accomplishments and/or specific support towards the Appalachian Trail.

Link to 2017 inductees: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/28ce041cdaee5373b2068cc48/files/878c436e-a3a3-4f74-9993-2a2b15ce1082/5_1_17_Final_2017_Hall_of_Fame_Inductees_Announced _1_.pdf

*A better alternative to her would've been Dan Bruce, who despite the controversy towards the end of his AT involvement, did more to propel the AT into the modern age than the ATC ever did at the time.

JPritch
05-10-2017, 12:34
I'll take it one step further....the fact that there is even a "Hall of Fame" for the Appalachian Trail boggles my mind a bit. The ethos of the trail to me runs counter to singling out individuals for their "fame".

rocketsocks
05-10-2017, 21:22
This^^^^^^^^^^^^