PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Dish washing liquid

Longboysfan
05-10-2017, 13:06
I was in Home Depot trying to get something to kill yard bugs on plants.

The person there said Dawn dishwashing liquid in Blue - a little bit into water onto the plants.
Dries up the bugs and kills them.

Segway question - anyone use this on trail to get rid of ticks?

theinfamousj
05-10-2017, 13:09
If ticks were afraid of soap, they wouldn't bite children who are bathed regularly.

Just pluck the tick off. Less to carry that way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Longboysfan
05-10-2017, 13:10
Your missing the point - Dawn Blue kills bugs while other types do not.

theinfamousj
05-10-2017, 13:10
There is a technique to learning to pluck ticks off, so make friends with someone with a dog who has woods and you will learn in a season.

Old Hiker
05-10-2017, 13:15
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/dawn-dish-soap-kill-bugs-garden-88374.html

"Researchers theorize"

theinfamousj
05-10-2017, 13:41
All actual soap kills aphids and other bugs. It gets in their pores. There is nothing special about Dawn Blue, except that it is the plainest of the Dawns. Green has Apple Scent. Orange has citrus oil. And so on and so forth.

(I have a friend who is a detergent chemist.)

perdidochas
05-10-2017, 15:34
I was in Home Depot trying to get something to kill yard bugs on plants.

The person there said Dawn dishwashing liquid in Blue - a little bit into water onto the plants.
Dries up the bugs and kills them.

Segway question - anyone use this on trail to get rid of ticks?
There isn't anything special about Dawn for kiling bugs on plants. They've been making that suggestion since before Dawn was a name brand.

Slo-go'en
05-10-2017, 17:38
If you spray a liquid soap onto bugs infecting a plant, you will kill them. It won't repel them, which is what you want to do with ticks. Ticks are pretty hardy so you need a real pesticide to deal with them.

lonehiker
05-10-2017, 18:27
The accepted way to remove a tick is to grasp, with your fingers, as close to its head as you can and gently but firmly pull it out. Wash hands thoroughly afterwards. They do make a tool to do this as well. My thoughts on tweezers are that I don't prefer to use them as it may be hard to judge how hard you are squeezing them. Although with tiny ones it may be your only option.

For my money, permethrin is the best, and perhaps simplest, way to go to piggyback on Slo's post.

MuddyWaters
05-10-2017, 19:17
All actual soap kills aphids and other bugs. It gets in their pores. There is nothing special about Dawn Blue, except that it is the plainest of the Dawns. Green has Apple Scent. Orange has citrus oil. And so on and so forth.

(I have a friend who is a detergent chemist.)

Dawn blue produces formaldehyde in water. It contains quaternium-15.
It also contains about 5% ethanol
Veterinarians recommend you wash dog with it to kill fleas, which it does well., Instead of wasting money on other flea shampoos.

BuckeyeBill
05-10-2017, 20:16
Trying to remove a tick with tweezers without squeezing the head or breaking off the stinger was very difficult for me. I found these tick nippers (http://www.campsaver.com/adventure-medical-tick-nipper#tabshere) for about $5.00. Never had any problems since, but I am wearing clothes treated with permethrin.

Longboysfan
05-11-2017, 10:53
Veterinarians recommend you wash dog with it to kill fleas, which it does well., Instead of wasting money on other flea shampoos.

That is what my friend said who owns a dog and they wash him after a walk in the woods.

perdidochas
05-11-2017, 13:38

Not really. They've been recommending putting dish soap on plants to kill bugs since before Dawn Blue existed.

perdidochas
05-11-2017, 13:45

I haven't been able to find the quaternium-15 listed on recent Dawn detergent ingredient lists. It does contain ethanol.

Sarcasm the elf
05-11-2017, 16:08

I'm not even gonna ask about what Red Dawn does. :D

saltysack
05-11-2017, 16:54

Classic flick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckeyeBill
05-11-2017, 19:06

Kills you then sprays wolverines on a rock.

Alligator
05-11-2017, 19:07
I'm not even gonna ask about what Red Dawn does. :DIt kills Russian bugs...you put it under your desk, in your ac vents, on those mirrors over your bed, etc.

Francis Sawyer
05-12-2017, 12:48
The OP is the regional sales rep for PG brands. He's in cahoots with Home Depot trying to sell Dawn. I guy at the liquor store said that Jim Beam repels ticks. I bought two gallons.:rolleyes:

MikekiM
05-12-2017, 13:25
On the topic of Dishwashing soap.. it is good for controlling bugs in the garden setting because it actually give them the equivalent of diarrhea.. In other words, it's makes life extremely uncomfortable so they avoid areas with the soap on it.

I have never heard of there being any benefit to using it to remove ticks.. for that I rely on a tick key.

blw2
05-12-2017, 21:28
yeah, I doubt it would do much against ticks.
I bought a "ticked off" spoon years ago. After many years, finally has cause to use it on one of my kids. Best thing since sliced bread! I was shocked how easy it was to use. I've since tried some other spoon type tools, but nothing so far compares.... not even close.

BlackCloud
05-13-2017, 13:25

Takes up 2 hours of my time every time it's on.

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 14:06
Takes up 2 hours of my time every time it's on.

The funny thing is that when I first saw the movie as a kid I thought those Soviet helicopters with the winglike armaments were a totally fake Hollywood invention. It wasn't until years later that I learned the Soviets were crazy enough to actually build it.

waywardfool
05-15-2017, 08:44
back (sort of) on topic. Back in about '87 or so, I got to Newfound Gap, southbound. Signs saying trail closed at clingman's dome for insect spraying. Loooong detour down and off the mountain, then climb back to the ridge. So, I figured to get up before dawn, be about on top of Clingman at early light, before they'd be working, and slip thru. Welp, get there, and they are already spraying. Old firetruck at the parking area, and handlines run about 4 different directions. One of they workers said it was OK to go on thru....they were just spraying soap, to kill some bug. Woods smelled nice.

As to the Dawn, that's how I kill fire ants around here. Couple of cups of blue dawn stirred into 3 or so gallons of water (stir, don't make suds). Dump it on a mound....and they are gone for good.