PDA

View Full Version : Guthooks LT APP?

Rolex
05-10-2017, 13:11
I've downloaded the latest version of Guthooks app for the Vermont Long trail and really like it a lot.
I remember using the guthooks app on the PCT and it would draw a red line and heading toward the nearest point of the trail in straight line distance.

Does the AT/LT App not do that? I couldn't find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolex
05-12-2017, 10:11
After looking closer, I find it does show the magnetic bearing and distance from your location. Just no red line which isn't really needed actually.
Guthook rules!

somers515
05-12-2017, 12:41
I've always just used paper maps but I'm curious. Am I correct you need to get "AT Hiker: Guthook's Guide" and then purchase the Long Trail as an in-app purchase for $8.99? So total cost is $8.99?

Rolex
05-15-2017, 03:38
I had to go back and make sure. Yes. Only the one charge shows on my ccard.

bemental
06-10-2017, 20:49
+1 for Guthooks, if only for the mapping functionality. Comments were helpful for water sources (flowing/dry) and I really like the pictures of shelters and descriptions when I thru'd the AT (let me know what I was going to arrive to at the end of the day).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eamonn
06-10-2017, 22:28
All though I had some hiccups with it on the AT, but it's seriously worth it.

bemental
06-13-2017, 09:42
All though I had some hiccups with it on the AT, but it's seriously worth it.

What we talking here - map errors? Incorrect information? User error?

Eamonn
06-13-2017, 09:51
Yeah it sent me down a fire road (an abandoned access road) in Virginia that supposedly went into town. I think maybe Buena Vista?
Anyway I found the only fire road around, like it had said in the book, with a sign an everything. I think it was supposed to be 3 or 4 miles on it before you get to brp for a hitch.

Well I certainly got 3 or 4 miles down the road but instead of road access it was just a dead end to a cliff and brp to be found.

Was super hot out and there was no water on the road. So I had to hike back, and another 12 or so before the next hitch spot. Mind you this was already towards the later part of the day.
When I did get into town I checked where I was and with the book and notes what the error was. I immediately sent an email.

It was very bad not good day to say the least. If I had used a little more common sense maybe I woulda double checked or something.

But this was in AWOL guide. Nothing like this happened with guthooks. Sorry I got them mixed up.

Eamonn
06-13-2017, 09:55
Yeah it sent me down a fire road (an abandoned access road) in Virginia that supposedly went into town. I think maybe Buena Vista?
Anyway I found the only fire road around, like it had said in the book, with a sign an everything. I think it was supposed to be 3 or 4 miles on it before you get to brp for a hitch.

Well I certainly got 3 or 4 miles down the road but instead of road access it was just a dead end to a cliff and no brp to be found.

Was incredibly hot out and there was no water on the road and was supposed to resupply that day so I had very little in the way of snacks. So I had to hike back, and another like 8 or so before the next hitch spot. Mind you this was already towards the later part of the day.
When I did get into town I checked where I was and with the book and noted what the error was. I immediately sent an email.

It was a very bad not good day to say the least. If I had used a little more common sense maybe I woulda double checked or something.

But this was in AWOL guide. Nothing like this happened with guthooks. Sorry I got them mixed up.

Rolex
07-12-2017, 03:48
Just got back from the first 20 miles(counting the approach) and the App was spot on. I like the elevation feature for forecasting what's next. Here's a screenshot.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170712/440e37bf53a36ea1d228d657c134bc85.jpg