PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite piece of gear?

Wildmtnchild
05-10-2017, 14:48
Just interested to hear about what people consider their single favorite piece of gear. Mine is the Sea to Summit back country shower. It's essentially a waterproof stuff sack with a twist shower nozzle on the bottom of it. You can fill it with water, lay it on a rock and in three hours you will have a warm shower. It packs down to absolutely nothing. But I mostly use it in camp to easily distribute water for washing my hands, doing dishes and cleaning up around the camp . I do some guiding as well and it's very handy for that.

DuneElliot
05-10-2017, 15:39
I have to pick just one? That's a tough call.

Probably my camera/phone...I am adamant about recording trips with photos and journaling so that I can share it with my family, especially my mom who I don't see very often

BuckeyeBill
05-10-2017, 16:16
Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. Best sleep in my life.

Feral Bill
05-10-2017, 16:28
Svea stove, bought in 1969. Always works.

Wildmtnchild
05-10-2017, 17:11
Also my most awesome 4 inch thick Big Agnes sleeping pad.

Mags
05-10-2017, 17:31
Maps.

They show possibilities, let me dream, and let those dreams become reality.

saltysack
05-10-2017, 17:37
Zebra light H52 headlamp...I always plan my hikes with aggressive schedules.....I can't remember the last trip that didn't involve at least a few hours of night hiking.....I guess I'll never learn.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tour-kid
05-10-2017, 18:30
At the moment it's my Native ultimate 14.5 kayak

i just got back from a 3 night paddle/fish/camp trip on Shakelford banks, Cape Lookout, NC

devoidapop
05-10-2017, 18:40
Maps.

Can't agree more. There is something special about a physical map.

theinfamousj
05-10-2017, 18:55
For me it comes down to the bug proof mesh of my tent vs all my delicious warm down. I love my feathery, bug free nest.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4shot
05-10-2017, 19:42
the stuff inside my foodbag.;)

Teacher & Snacktime
05-10-2017, 20:31
An indomitable spirit of adventure. If I bring that, the rest is easy.

Theosus
05-10-2017, 20:50
I have to pick just one? That's a tough call.

Probably my camera/phone...I am adamant about recording trips with photos and journaling so that I can share it with my family, especially my mom who I don't see very often
I agree. "Favorite gear" to me says something that may not be your core stuff but something more of a choice item. I enjoy making trail videos as much as planning the hike, and I geocache. So I like my camera/phone for all of that.

BuckeyeBill
05-11-2017, 10:34
In today's society, a large majority of people carry a cell phone, some carry two; one for work and one for personal use. Cell phones have come a long way from the original "brick phone" to small flip phones to flat "It can do anything" style phones. Today's phones are capable of taking great still shots and record videos. While I still use a separate digital camera, I classify a cell phone as a piece of emergency equipment. It can be used to contact emergency personnel in the unlikely event you need to be evaced out. We have come a long way from building smokey fire to signal for help. Phones should be included on your gear list, even if it just stays in its waterproof bag. Please no Flintstones comment.

Longboysfan
05-11-2017, 10:58
Maps - they let me see what I've done and what's up next.

tenlots
05-11-2017, 11:08
my western mountaineering sleeping bag. no matter what weather, I look forward to being in it or resting on it:)

scope
05-11-2017, 13:01
Netless hammock

eggymane
05-11-2017, 16:10
I was going to say my Tilley hat since that's the only thing I bring that's even close to a luxury item..however, I just recently got a deuce of spades trowel- and coming from that plastic s2s trowel this thing is incredible! So my answer is definitely my trowel

evyck da fleet
05-11-2017, 18:31
Cell phone for pics but not really gear...trekking poles for all the falls and injuries it has prevented( some would say unnecessary or luxury item) ...tent to get away from snorers and camp legally wherever I want.

Tipi Walter
05-11-2017, 20:30
my western mountaineering sleeping bag. no matter what weather, I look forward to being in it or resting on it:)

Exactly right. Since 1980 my most valued piece of backpacking gear has been my high quality down bag(s). They allowed me to get thru the worst weather and the coldest weather with some amount of comfort and peace of mind.

Lately I've been putting more and more value on my inflatable sleeping pad(s)---comfort is king on long trips.

plexusbritt
05-11-2017, 22:12
Hmmmm at this particular moment? The new pack I scored off of Facebook marketplace for less than $50. It's supposedly military surplus but, not sure I believe it. It fits like an absolute dream and I'm an average sized woman. Freak purchase but, I've been doing my cardio (uphill walking) in with with my shelter packed and it's been really really nice.

Kalaallit
05-11-2017, 23:11
Either my hammock which is perfect for day hikes and short trips as a comfy way to relax around camp, or my camera. There's always something special about photos for me, even more so when they fit together to tell a story of a trip.

Leo L.
05-12-2017, 02:19
Difficult to say whats my favorite, there are various categories of favorite.
When it comes closer to luxury, it sure is my Thermarest and my down sleeping bag.

When I would have to chose an overall favorite, I would chose the smartphone.
It provides perfect navigation in parts of the world where no maps exist, and replaces tons of paper printouts I had to carry before.
Not to mention the other doodies, like Internet access when in town, backup camera and lighting, as well as communication.

rocketsocks
05-12-2017, 05:36
Chair.....

LittleRock
05-12-2017, 07:49
MSR Pocket Rocket stove - small, lightweight, durable, never needs maintenance, still works great after 10 years!

LittleRock
05-12-2017, 07:51
i just got back from a 3 night paddle/fish/camp trip on Shakelford banks, Cape Lookout, NC
That's a beautiful area - I'm jealous!

The Snowman
05-12-2017, 13:03
For me its my Swiss army knife. It was a gift from my dad back in high school and its sill going strong after all these years.

MikekiM
05-12-2017, 13:20
That's a tough one..

I would say my Blackbird hammock would take the award as I have NEVER had a better night sleep than when I am in the hammock. Honorable mention would go to my Zimmerbuilt pack.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
05-12-2017, 13:41
My hammock system as a whole is my favorite gear. Great sleep is something I am still not used to on the trail since I previously slept on the ground in tents with no mattresses.

Kaptainkriz
05-12-2017, 18:16
I love my Sea to Summit Aeros Premium pillow. Best luxury addition I ever made.

Trailweaver
05-13-2017, 01:37
I love the headlamps I've used for several years now. Don't you all remember trying to hold a flashlight and cook or set up camp in the dark before headlamps? Back then I used to say really nasty things under my breath while struggling to cook in the dark & I just knew there was a better way! I hope the inventor got every dime he deserved for it!

jefals
05-13-2017, 03:51
I'll follow up Trailweaver, talking about headlamps and cooking. I'll go with the jetboil. don't need a lighter, built-in windscreen, glows when the water's hot, it's stable -- what's not to like?

garlic08
05-13-2017, 08:07
I think my best purchases in the last decade have been my Tarptent Contrail, and enLightened Equipment quilt.

Any LED headlamp is way up there, too. I remember those huge halogen things. And batteries. And charger.

Maps.

I wish this forum had a "like" button.

DuneElliot
05-13-2017, 10:00
After testing some gear for my upcoming Centennial Trail hike I have discovered the joys of my Zelph Fancee Feest stove...that thing is awesome; so much faster and better than my home-made stove. I had been debating between taking my canister stove and the alcohol stove and was leaning towards the canister stove for speed and power...yeah, that changed when I saw how efficient the Zelph alcohol stove was.

jefals
05-13-2017, 10:30
Oh yeah. The guthook app. Does that count?

Heliotrope
05-13-2017, 11:39
My Gossamer Gear Gorilla backpack. It always stays close to me. Keeps its' arms around me when we hike together. Never rubs me the wrong way. Always keeps water and food in its' pockets for me. Protects all of my things. Makes the burdens of life more tolerable. Will sit by my side when I stop to enjoy a scenic vista. And after a long trip we might even share a room together.

saltysack
05-13-2017, 15:32
My Gossamer Gear Gorilla backpack. It always stays close to me. Keeps its' arms around me when we hike together. Never rubs me the wrong way. Always keeps water and food in its' pockets for me. Protects all of my things. Makes the burdens of life more tolerable. Will sit by my side when I stop to enjoy a scenic vista. And after a long trip we might even share a room together.

You've been in the woods far too long!!! You paint a face on it?[emoji23]

Heliotrope
05-13-2017, 15:43
You've been in the woods far too long!!! You paint a face on it?[emoji23]

If I ignore him for too long I swear he calls to me: "Let's go hiking". I was thinking of naming him "Wilson" What do you think ? [emoji12]

DuneElliot
05-13-2017, 16:49
If I ignore him for too long I swear he calls to me: "Let's go hiking". I was thinking of naming him "Wilson" What do you think ? [emoji12]

Being that it's a GG Gorilla, King Kong might be more appropriate...sounds like it's a pretty demanding backpack, and best not to be ignored.

Heliotrope
05-13-2017, 17:24
Being that it's a GG Gorilla, King Kong might be more appropriate...sounds like it's a pretty demanding backpack, and best not to be ignored.

King Kong it is! Better pack some bananas too!

Pony
05-13-2017, 22:17
Headlamp, hands down.

Last Call
05-14-2017, 03:44
the Copper Spur, then boots & stick.....

GoLight
05-14-2017, 08:24
Wow, just one? It seems treasonous to all the others that are my favorites depending on the task at hand. The one that has been with me the longest is my Suunto mirror compass. I´ve had it over 40 years. It weighs less than 2 ounces and I feel lost without it. I use the mirror for shaving and for tick check underneath, magnifying glass when I don´t want to unpouch my reading glasses, measuring things and scaling map distances with the ruler, sighting accurately across the mirror, heck I´ve even used it to get my bearings.

tflaris
05-14-2017, 17:59
My titanium long handled spoon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

egilbe
05-14-2017, 18:18
My sleep system. EE Accomplice and Exped Synmat Hyperlite Duo, Exped Schnozzle drybag and my girlfriend's snores. Absolutely heavenly.

gbolt
05-15-2017, 18:32
The easy answer for me is "The Big Three" - ULA Ohm 2.0, Shelter (CF Winter Palace Tarp over WB Blackbird Hammock) and HG 20º Burrow TQ / Yeti 20º UQ.

Harrison Bergeron
05-15-2017, 20:15
Probably my belly bag. It's a waterproof stash for phone and other valuables that I like to keep handy -- like guidebook, journal & map.

Or my wonderful Danner GTX 453 hiking boots.

Or my poncho.

Or my Houdini wind shirt.

Or my kitchen sink (cut-off bottom of a gallon milk jug).

It used to be my hiking stick made from a rake handle, until I switched to poles. Still miss that stick, though. Hard to pole vault a creek with a flimsy hiking pole.

... no, it's definitely the belly bag.

DuneElliot
05-16-2017, 09:40
The one that has been with me the longest is my Suunto mirror compass. I´ve had it over 40 years. It weighs less than 2 ounces and I feel lost without it. I use the mirror for shaving and for tick check underneath, magnifying glass when I don´t want to unpouch my reading glasses, measuring things and scaling map distances with the ruler, sighting accurately across the mirror, heck I´ve even used it to get my bearings.
Seriously, was that intentional??? Feel lost without it!!! Bwah ha ha ha:D

nsherry61
05-16-2017, 09:49
Hmm. Probably my Sea To Summit ultra-sil nano poncho tarp. Shelter and raingear combined for 8 oz of weight. Hard to beat.

Bansko
05-22-2017, 09:34
My Western Mountaineering Sycamore sleeping bag. I can swap out packs, tents, cooking gear, sleeping pads, clothing, etc., but that bag stays in the center of the orbit. It's earned it's place.

QiWiz
05-25-2017, 16:58
My favorites are the things I DIY'd myself, including ti trowel, pot and cup cozies, windscreens, and stoves.

chasingthewind
06-01-2017, 11:11
Helinox Chair Zero. One totally unnecessary pound of awesome.

rocketsocks
06-02-2017, 08:43
Shoulder straps...they come in pretty handy, the alturnative would be hellish.