PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions North of Erwin, TN

sadlowskiadam
05-10-2017, 16:31
I will be heading out May 12-19 doing about a 100 mile stretch of the AT north of Erwin, TN. Any insight on the trail conditions along this stretch? Any issues with water or the trail generally that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance!

- Counselor

Tennessee Viking
05-11-2017, 10:30
I haven't heard anything bad from my TEHCC contacts. But you will also probably in the thick of the NOBO and Trail Days crowd. Hikershuttles.com can give you local assistance

It was reported that Roan sustained some high gust winds last week. You might encounter a down tree here or there within the area.
Watauga Lake is open to hiking only. No camping from 321 to Wilbur Dam Rd.
Iron Mtn/Holston Mtn sources should be ok. But they tend to start get low in the hotter months. Check with Kincora if you are going that far.

TNGabe
05-12-2017, 11:14
It was reported that Roan sustained some high gust winds last week. You might encounter a down tree here or there within the area.

I was up there Monday and would guess the sustained wind were around 30mph with up to 70mph gusts. I could be overestimating, but I did think I might end up in Oz a few a times. There were some trees down, but nothing I remember as major.