PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Hostel

ScottP
01-28-2006, 04:59
Are any WB members staying in the hiker hostel on March 18th?

neighbor dave
01-28-2006, 08:25
yes...... profile and almanac are!!:jump

digger51
01-28-2006, 23:45
I plan to start my hike between the 15th and 20th so I might be there.

minnesotasmith
01-29-2006, 08:41
I'm starting my thru-attempt relatively early (Feb. 11th or 12th), so am concerned with opening dates for services.

neighbor dave
01-29-2006, 09:16
I'm starting my thru-attempt relatively early (Feb. 11th or 12th), so am concerned with opening dates for services.
it's here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2836

minnesotasmith
01-29-2006, 11:04
I personally won't have a need to go there when I head to Georgia for my upcoming (mid-Feb.) thruhike attempt. I have a family member living in the Atlanta area who will let me stay at their place for 3 days as I finish my preparations, and then will drive me to Amicalola with my pack to see me off. However, anyone that provides a legitimate, remotely market-priced Trail service (i.e., not the AMC) is IMO always welcome to spread the word about their being in business, their location and terms of service, etc. Good luck to you.

BTW, for anyone reading this, there are a couple of things in Dahlonega worth hitting IMO. For example, there is a gold mining history museum (charges something like 7 bucks, but is worth it one time) there, that has a neat movie, lots of artifacts with explanation, gold leaf in vials for sale, etc. FWIW, it seems to employ only women, judging from when I've been in there, but they are mainly OTH moos; sorry. ;) Allow about an hour and a half if you ever go to that museum.

Second, there is a drug store there that sells (in yellow as well as gray, which I've never seen anywhere else) some ultracheap but useful sunglasses that IMO are ideal for any hiker who wears eyeglasses. :cool: They are just a piece of superlightweight molded plastic costing only a couple of bucks that cover both in front of the eyes, and all the way around the side. I've used these for years, but they've gotten very hard to find (only nonchain truckstops have a decent chance of carrying them anymore in my experience). They do scratch easily, though, so buy several, and store and clean them carefully.

Lastly, there is a place of business that has more reference stuff free for the asking than you can shake a stick at about all the nearby options for doing the conventional tourist routine in north Georgia. (There's very little about the AT, but you already know more than enough about that from your SO's POV, right?)

Otherwise, the town reminds me a bit of a small Helen, GA, but easier to drive around or through.

P.S. The last AYCE in the area before you get to Amicalola is where the road to the AT intersects GA 400/19. It's on the west side of the road, about 1/4 mile north of and the opposite side of the Home Depot there. It's an above-average Chinese restaurant that charges too much at night but is quite reasonably-priced at midday, with serious sushi, shellfish, fruit, fatty desserts (two kinds of custard, usually), etc.

Skidsteer
01-29-2006, 12:02
P.S. The last AYCE in the area before you get to Amicalola is where the road to the AT intersects GA 400/19. It's on the west side of the road, about 1/4 mile north of and the opposite side of the Home Depot there. It's an above-average Chinese restaurant that charges too much at night but is quite reasonably-priced at midday, with serious sushi, shellfish, fruit, fatty desserts (two kinds of custard, usually), etc.

The name of the place is Lin's. It is located in the same shopping center as Ingle's supermarket. It is indeed a good place to "camel up".

domnokmis
01-29-2006, 12:29
it seems to employ only women, judging from when I've been in there, but they are mainly OTH moos I will probably regret asking this, as the tone seems to be an insult, but what is an OTH moos?

Fiddler
01-29-2006, 13:51
I will probably regret asking this, as the tone seems to be an insult, but what is an OTH moos?
I've seen this before, somewhat of an insult. Over The Hill Cows.

minnesotasmith
01-29-2006, 15:57
The name of the place is Lin's. It is located in the same shopping center as Ingle's supermarket. It is indeed a good place to "camel up".

That Chinese restaurant is located at the southwest corner of 19 and 53. This intersection is about 5 miles from Dawsonville; take 53 north to get to Dawsonville from there.

http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/gamaps/ga1999map5.htm

There's also a dollar store in the same shopping center. Groceries are probably cheaper at the Kroger's on the north side of 53 just east of that intersection than they are at Ingle's. There is NO Wal-Mart right around that intersection; there is one back south on 19/400 to Cumming (exit #14, go east, take turn north at first light in shopping center on north side of road, go about 1/4 mile on east side of drive, voila).

Also, I think I remember a Wal-Mart further along the way to Amicalola from 53/19, along with another dollar store and a Fred's Hardware (less expensive and more general than it sounds), but won't swear to it.

Almanac
01-31-2006, 14:51
There's also a dollar store in the same shopping center. Groceries are probably cheaper at the Kroger's on the north side of 53 just east of that intersection than they are at Ingle's. There is NO Wal-Mart right around that intersection; there is one back south on 19/400 to Cumming (exit #14, go east, take turn north at first light in shopping center on north side of road, go about 1/4 mile on east side of drive, voila).

The area you are talking about is Dawsonville, and there are more new places going up every day. There is currently a Wal-Mart under construction (next to Home Depot). There is at least one other AYCE place...Fire Mountain next door to Kroger. There is also a small outfitter (The Outside World), which is geared more toward kayaking, but you could easily pick up a canister of fuel there if needed.

Also, I think I remember a Wal-Mart further along the way to Amicalola from 53/19, along with another dollar store and a Fred's Hardware (less expensive and more general than it sounds), but won't swear to it.

There is no Wal-Mart between 53/19 and Amicalola unless you get lost and go through Dahlonega.

FiveWay
02-12-2006, 01:07
It looks like a kick off date either March 10th or 15th for me. Still need to get some home issues taken care of. FiveWay:jump

minnesotasmith
02-13-2006, 06:29
I had some glitches with my thru-hike attempt start (long story -- on other thread). I called several times, getting their answering machine. Their ans. machine did confirm it was the hostel, but did not give directions nor did it confirm that they were indeed currently open. I left a message, but didn't ever get called back. I ended up going back to my sister's place in Atlanta (where I am now), and will go back to Amicalola early today (Mon. 2/13). I would have liked to have tried out this new hostel, as it would have saved my mother 2.5 hours of driving, but it didn't happen.

BTW, does anyone know if this hostel is listed in the various Data books? (I have the new Companion, but haven't looked to see, and it's in my pack in a vehicle outside at the moment.)

02-13-2006, 10:25
Sorry we missed you las tnight. I got your message (I think it was you, no name was given on the message) left at 6:15pm. We were at dinner. I don't keep the phone on while eating (thinks it is rude). When I checked messages last night I had 7 to return. Decided it was late and did not want to call people to late. Wish you would have said you needed to stay last night, I would have called back. Was under the impression from the short message you just wanted to reserve a night. Sorry again. Maybe you can stop by in a few days as you pass thru Woody's Gap.

minnesotasmith
02-13-2006, 16:20
Sorry we missed you las tnight. I got your message (I think it was you, no name was given on the message) left at 6:15pm. We were at dinner. I don't keep the phone on while eating (thinks it is rude). When I checked messages last night I had 7 to return. Decided it was late and did not want to call people to late. Wish you would have said you needed to stay last night, I would have called back. Was under the impression from the short message you just wanted to reserve a night. Sorry again. Maybe you can stop by in a few days as you pass thru Woody's Gap.

Message left about 6:15 P.M.? Yes, that was probably me. If any of the following had happened before I drove from Dahlonega back to Atlanta to spend the night at my sister's, I'd have stayed at your hostel last night:

a) you'd called me back;

b) the message on your answering machine had clearly stated both that you were open for the season and given explicit directions to your location (including address and distances);

c) the information in #b had been available to me at Amicalola.

Well, live and learn. BTW, are you going to offer safe short/medium-term parking for hikers at your place, say, for a buck or two a day? If I section-hike around GA in the future, that might be of interest to me, given your location.

digger51
02-13-2006, 19:50
It is rare for Josh or Leigh to not be available, but they do so much for the hikers who stay there it is possible to miss them. This is one fantastic place to stay. Pick you up at the bus station or airport and shuttle you to the hostel. Then take you to dinner downtown if you want. Also take you to the local shopping area to get those last minute supplies. Then breakfast and a shuttle to your choice of several spots to start or continue your hike. This is the premier way to start your hike. See you around the 17th of March Josh, I'll call later to schedule a pickup at the bus station.

mweinstone
02-17-2006, 00:40
why is this word like the word decribing hostile behavior?is it from hospitality? what word is this earthlings? what word?

freefall
02-17-2006, 01:46
why is this word like the word decribing hostile behavior?is it from hospitality? what word is this earthlings? what word?

Hostel-Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin hospitale hospice

Hospice-French, from Latin hospitium, from hospit-, hospes host

Hostile-Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin hostilis, from hostis;
adverse to the interests of a property owner(host)

mweinstone
02-17-2006, 23:52
wow thanks i needed that.