PDA

View Full Version : Monson ME to Northern NH

Turtle-2013
05-11-2017, 07:58
I KNOW this is a long-shot. But, If anyone will be driving from Monson, ME to anywhere in Northern NH, (or the parts of Maine near northern NH) ... on either the afternoon of June 7th, or anytime during the day on June 8th ... I can pay for your gas if I can tag along. It appears that all ground based public transportation between those two points routes through Boston and therefore takes all day. Thanks!!

peakbagger
05-11-2017, 09:22
Good luck. Hitching is actually an option as if you get lucky and have an appropriate cardboard sign ( I would suggest one side says SKOWHEGAN for your hitch from Monson and the other side says NH , AT HIKER , it can be as little as two hitches. The vast majority of traffic going through Monson are people going to and from Greenville to Skowhegan and the closest large supermarkets and the ubiquitous Walmart is in Skowhegan. US RT2 runs through Skowhegan and its major east west route through central Maine and goes right through Shelburne NH where the AT crosses into the Whites. There is pretty steady traffic on RT2 and several intersections that traffic has to go through in Skowhegan where its a good place to hitch. In addition to Maine traffic there is a lot of Canadian traffic as its shorter to drive through Maine via RT2 from the Atlantic provinces to southern Ontario then it is driving through Canada ( a lot cheaper too as Canadian gas is lot higher than US gas). Timing wise figure 1 to 1.5 hours to Skowhegan and about 2 1/2 hours to Gorham.

Even if you aren't planning to hitch, its good to get familiar with RT2 as its the best way to bail in case you need to (the black flies could be atrocious this year) . Every AT crossing between Monson and Gorham all typically lead to US RT2. There are some short east west options north of RT2 but they are very rural and low traffic.

Slo-go'en
05-11-2017, 13:04
I concur with Peakbagger - hitch. It's still going to take all day, so plan to spend the night in Gorham or the White Mt hostel in Shelburne. Anyone willing to do that as a shuttle is going to want a lot of money. It's a long way and close to an 8 hour drive for someone who would have to make it a round trip. I assume your going to drive to Monson and leave a car there?

Of course, by taking RT 2 to Shelburne and starting the AT from there, you will be starting with the hardest 30 miles of the AT. I hope your ready for that.

TJ aka Teej
05-11-2017, 13:41
Turtle, check with Lake Shore House and Pete's Place, they know everything that's going on in town. They might be able to help you out.

peakbagger
05-11-2017, 16:32
http://trailangelshikerservices.com/

Looks like $325 for this firm.

Turtle-2013
05-12-2017, 22:31
Thanks for the feedback ... I'm working on a variety of solutions. Still hoping that someone shows up who will be heading that way, if not I'll work something else out. I have some less desirable options, but either way I won't be using a traditional shuttle... too pricey.

peakbagger
05-13-2017, 05:11
Its not pricey as much as in Maine "you cant get there from here"

The roads tend to follow drainages which are usually north south and you need to go east west

Turtle-2013
05-13-2017, 07:17
Its not pricey as much as in Maine "you cant get there from here"
The roads tend to follow drainages which are usually north south and you need to go east west

True, we have that same problem in SW Virginia ... but in this case the main problem is the distance.

In this case since I expect to be able to catch a ride back to Waterville or Bangor ...
I can get where I need by a LONG bus ride for $50ish (by way of Boston) ...
OR I can do a one-way car rental for $100 give or take...

THAT is why the shuttle is to pricey, I have options that cost far less......

BUT, I would, of course, prefer to tag along with someone already heading that way.... : )

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 07:21
OR I can do a one-way car rental for $100 give or take...

i've always thought this was interesting idea, but, in this example, there are no car rental places in monson or gorham.

the same is true of most of the trail.

just suck it up and pay for a shuttle is my advice. $50 for a bus ride that goes through boston (can this really even be completed in one full day? i have my doubts) versus $200 for a 3 or 4 hour car ride. have you ever heard the expression time is money? or maybe you just dont value your time that much.

the other option, which i'm surprised you havent considered, is driving to boston, taking the bus to one end of your hike, hiking, then taking the bus back to your car.

you seem intent on finding the hard way to do this.

Turtle-2013
05-13-2017, 07:28
I concur with Peakbagger - hitch. It's still going to take all day, so plan to spend the night in Gorham or the White Mt hostel in Shelburne. Anyone willing to do that as a shuttle is going to want a lot of money. It's a long way and close to an 8 hour drive for someone who would have to make it a round trip. I assume your going to drive to Monson and leave a car there?
Of course, by taking RT 2 to Shelburne and starting the AT from there, you will be starting with the hardest 30 miles of the AT. I hope your ready for that.

Thanks for your comments ... but no I won't be leaving a car in Monson. I'm not going to go into the details but my trip is not what you assumed. I won't be doing the "hardest 30 miles" of the AT this trip ... that will be sometime in 2018 or 2019 and will be nearly the last miles of completing the AT by sections. Also I'm VERY familiar with area, have driven Rt 2 a number of times, have been in NH-VT-ME regularly for the past 20 plus years. Like I said, I know it is a long shot ... I'd just love to find a new trail friend to ride with, rather than any of the other available options ; )

Turtle-2013
05-13-2017, 07:39
i've always thought this was interesting idea, but, in this example, there are no car rental places in monson or gorham.the same is true of most of the trail.
just suck it up and pay for a shuttle is my advice. $50 for a bus ride that goes through boston (can this really even be completed in one full day? i have my doubts) versus $200 for a 3 or 4 hour car ride. have you ever heard the expression time is money? or maybe you just dont value your time that much.
the other option, which i'm surprised you havent considered, is driving to boston, taking the bus to one end of your hike, hiking, then taking the bus back to your car. you seem intent on finding the hard way to do this.

You missed that I HAVE a ride back to Bangor or Waterville (both of which have car rental) .... and as Peakbagger pointed out the shuttle is approximately $325 (actually more to where I need to get too) ... and yes the bus ride takes 8.5 hours from Waterville and can be completed in one day. The QUICKEST way to get there without a direct ride is the car rental ... and in this case time isn't money as long as I get there that evening since I'll be hanging out "somewhere" ; )

The basic point is this ... I wasn't looking for advise ... I KNOW how to use shuttle drivers, and the bus, and the car rental, and even hitchhike .... I know the options and the cost of each........ I've been successfully navigating from point A to point B on the trail for MANY years.

What I was looking for was the long-shot chance that someone on here was already going to be "going that way" on the dates I mentioned..... If so I would love to hear from them.