PDA

View Full Version : training

jefals
05-11-2017, 10:55
Lived here 22 years and just discovered a trail close to home. It's about a 3 mile trail with 240 feet of climbing. And it's a loop, so can easily be repeated as many times as you like. So I decided it would be a great training trail, packed up my gear as if I was heading to the southern terminus and went hiking. Pack, I'm guessing was between 30 and 40 lbs.
This trail beat me up. But I went back and did it again the next day.
This morning my knee is giving me the usual signs that I'm stressing it too much.
So, I'm wondering, if I'm trying to build up to carrying more weight over longer distances, is it better to start with less weight, and work towards a goal of, say, 20 miles, before increasing weight, or stay with 3 miles and keep building up the weight first until comfortable with the weight and then build up the miles?

Longboysfan
05-11-2017, 10:57
Start with 20 in the pack.
I used the 16 oz water bottles.

Work your way up.

Longboysfan
05-11-2017, 10:57
When I say 20 - 20 lbs total.

PGH1NC
05-11-2017, 11:13
I am in a similar situation. Most of my training has been on flat rail-trails, so far up to 6 miles each time with about 45 flat miles carrying a 17 lb. pack. Once I put in 2.5 L H2O and could tell the difference.

Last evening I carried the light pack on a series of close-by trails that could be considered rolling with mud, roots, etc. It went well. Now that things are drying up I expect to spend more time on local dirt single track trails. I intend to gradually increase the distance and weight up to the expected 22-23 lb. for a week on the AT in late July.

PGH1NC
05-11-2017, 11:14
Also I am 74, so ease into it seems to be working for me.

jefals
05-11-2017, 11:25
I am in a similar situation. Most of my training has been on flat rail-trails, so far up to 6 miles each time with about 45 flat miles carrying a 17 lb. pack. Once I put in 2.5 L H2O and could tell the difference.

What do you mean, "6 miles with 45 flat miles"?
By the way, 74? You're an OLD dude! I'm just 70, fresh from the cradle!

jefals
05-11-2017, 11:30
Start with 20 in the pack.
I used the 16 oz water bottles.

Work your way up.
Ok, so I start with 20 lbs and 3 miles, till I'm comfortable with that. What's next -
a) 30 pounds and 3 miles?
b) 20 pounds and 5 miles?
Is it better to build up the weight first or the distance first. Or does it matter?

PGH1NC
05-11-2017, 12:12
I meant 40+ total miles carrying the pack on flat trails, sometimes with 20+ lb. So far just up to about 9 miles in a day but walking/hiking or biking many days a week. Even walked in the rain a couple times.

Seems to me gradually increasing the weight and miles on various woodland trails makes the most sense. Last week carried the 20-21 lb. 6 mi. with "no aches, no pains, no blisters. Yea, I might even be 75 at the end of our trek on the AT (1 week, SNP).

Nodust
05-11-2017, 12:36
If you can't do the miles with no weight you'll never do it with weight.

I do miles without a pack. Or just a daypack with water. Weight just wears the knees out faster.

egilbe
05-11-2017, 13:01
If you are 70, ease into it. Give it a day or two of rest in-between training days. Start off lightweight and go slowly. Same advice I'd give a 20 something who hasn't hiked much.

Dogwood
05-11-2017, 13:17
What amt of wt can you carry over what distance currently? How far have you ever gone under any scenario in a day? AND, what amt of wt are you seeking to increase to from the 30-40 lbs?

I would be taking my age and this, "Pack, I'm guessing was between 30 and 40 lbs.
This morning my knee is giving me the usual signs that I'm stressing it too much.", into consideration.

Reducing the wt you haul increases the daily mileage ability as well as the day after day after day mile per day avg ability in itself. THIS has to be considered IF you desire to have more endurance, daily and trip hiking ability, comfort, less fatigue, and risk of bodily injury.

I don't like the idea of adding significantly more wt to what you already max haul before you do the 20/day if that's the daily mileage goal. Depends on your current status and wt you ultimately wish to haul.

Puddlefish
05-11-2017, 13:28
Ease into that pack weight. Start with water and basic day hiker safety gear only. Every spring I pretty much need to start over, because I don't hike in the winter. My local loop trail has a 900' hill. The first hike of the year, I pretty much go up halfway til I'm out of breath and turn right around. Then I see how I feel the next day. Used to be that a day of recovery and I'd be great, now it's more like two days of recovery when training. I'll eventually work myself up to hiking every other day, and by the end of summer, I'm up to hiking every single day for ten miles, with a full pack.

Start small, pay attention to your body.

Malto
05-11-2017, 14:39
I always cringe when I read someone recommending loading up a pack for training, that is a good way to get hurt. If you expect your pack to be 20 lbs. train with 20 pounds. Make it more difficult if you must by doing more elevation gain, less breaks, longer days, faster (within reason) etc. But don't load up the weight. And if your pack is 30-40 lbs normally maybe re-evaluate what your carrying. there are easy and inexpensive ways of dropping the weight below 30 or even 20 pounds.

ScareBear
05-11-2017, 19:28
I am assuming you are only doing one 3 mile loop right now? If so, then my advice would be to ditch the pack and carry 500ml of water. When you can do the 3 miles in under 1.5 hours, then you can work on two loops. When you can do two loops in under 3 hours, then you can add a pack with 10 pounds of weight. When you can do the two loops in under 3 hours again, up the weight to 20 pounds and see if you can do one loop in under 1.5 hours. When you finally can, do the two loops until you get to under 3 hours again. You don't need a total pack weight of more than 25 pounds for just about any hiking, except in winter.

Listen to your body. Stop all exercise with your legs until the inflammation in your knee reduces/resolves. If you aren't taking NSAID's you might want to talk to your Doc.

jefals
05-11-2017, 19:53
What amt of wt can you carry over what distance currently? How far have you ever gone under any scenario in a day? AND, what amt of wt are you seeking to increase to from the 30-40 lbs?

I would be taking my age and this, "Pack, I'm guessing was between 30 and 40 lbs.
This morning my knee is giving me the usual signs that I'm stressing it too much.", into consideration.

Reducing the wt you haul increases the daily mileage ability as well as the day after day after day mile per day avg ability in itself. THIS has to be considered IF you desire to have more endurance, daily and trip hiking ability, comfort, less fatigue, and risk of bodily injury.

I don't like the idea of adding significantly more wt to what you already max haul before you do the 20/day if that's the daily mileage goal. Depends on your current status and wt you ultimately wish to haul.
I think I'm starting to agree. Build up the miles, then the weight. I went back out there today, light weight, and it was a very pleasant hike.

But, you asked about what I can do, and my goals....
Well, there's a fairly flat 11 mile trail close to home that has always been my "default" hike when I didn't want to drive 50 or more miles. When I hike this, I usually just have water, maybe a couple candy bars - around 7 pounds, maybe.
The "biggest" thing I've done was in November, 15, 90 miles on the PCT, over 18 days with a pack that started out around 54 pounds. About 6 mpd. Had to quit 6 or 7 miles from my goal, due to my knee.
I did a road trip in March, cross country, (CA to GA and back), and did a lot of day hiking along the way, with a fairly light day pack. I hiked maybe every 2 or 3 days, around 4 hours on the trail. When I got back, tho, I "couch surfed" for 3 or 4 weeks.
So, I'd like to get ready for the PCT again in November - desert area, down at the border. Because of the water situation, I need to be able to carry some serious weight. Although I saw,a youtube that this guy, Redbeard from Zpacks, said he never carried more than 2l even on the PCT.
But that guy moves a LOT faster than me, so he can get from one water source to the next faster than me! I like to plan on carrying at least 6. And I know there's more water than normal, even in S. Cal right now. But, it could be gone by November...

jefals
05-11-2017, 19:56
I meant 40+ total miles carrying the pack on flat trails, sometimes with 20+ lb. So far just up to about 9 miles in a day but walking/hiking or biking many days a week. Even walked in the rain a couple times.

Seems to me gradually increasing the weight and miles on various woodland trails makes the most sense. Last week carried the 20-21 lb. 6 mi. with "no aches, no pains, no blisters. Yea, I might even be 75 at the end of our trek on the AT (1 week, SNP).
Are you saying that, at 74, your goal is to be able to carry 20+ pounds for 40 miles? I'd give you an award for that, if you get there!

jefals
05-11-2017, 20:12
I always cringe when I read someone recommending loading up a pack for training, that is a good way to get hurt. If you expect your pack to be 20 lbs. train with 20 pounds. Make it more difficult if you must by doing more elevation gain, less breaks, longer days, faster (within reason) etc. But don't load up the weight. And if your pack is 30-40 lbs normally maybe re-evaluate what your carrying. there are easy and inexpensive ways of dropping the weight below 30 or even 20 pounds.
Yes, after my hike today, with a light pack and the way I feel -- plus what you and everyone else is advising, I think I agree. Best to build up the miles, then gradually add weight.
I'm thinking of doing 9 mpd, maybe, so figuring I need to carry a lot more water (desert sections of PCT). But - maybe I'll look at it from the standpoint of "less water = more miles" - and x shoot for 15 to 20 mpd. In which case I won't need to carry as much water. ...

jefals
05-11-2017, 20:16
I am assuming you are only doing one 3 mile loop right now? If so, then my advice would be to ditch the pack and carry 500ml of water. When you can do the 3 miles in under 1.5 hours, then you can work on two loops. When you can do two loops in under 3 hours, then you can add a pack with 10 pounds of weight. When you can do the two loops in under 3 hours again, up the weight to 20 pounds and see if you can do one loop in under 1.5 hours. When you finally can, do the two loops until you get to under 3 hours again. You don't need a total pack weight of more than 25 pounds for just about any hiking, except in winter.

Listen to your body. Stop all exercise with your legs until the inflammation in your knee reduces/resolves. If you aren't taking NSAID's you might want to talk to your Doc.
Thanks, Scarebear, for spelling that out. Sounds like a real good plan

SkeeterPee
05-11-2017, 20:18
I've never seen any training plans for hiking like you do for other activities. But as an older person I feel the need to work up to my planned pack weight with food/water. I walk everyday, but that does not prepare your muscles and tendons for the extra weight of a pack. Younger people may not need the training, but I certainly do. Personally I follow the insight for long distance running. You can increase speed or distance, but don't increase both at the same time. so each week only consider adding one or the other not both. Also you don't have to make every hike the same. Some can be with pack and others without. Some short, some longer. some hilly some flat.

shelb
05-11-2017, 23:25
I think other posters have given great advice for starting out.

Once you are no longer the "Nube" to training, I would suggest you build in the elevation changes. Either do steps, climb hills, or get on a stair climber at a gym. NOTE: My first year, I trained by walking... walking... walking... carrying a pack... I walked up to 25 miles a day; however, those "flat lander walks" did not pra\pare me for the mountains of the AT. The next year, I didn't walk so many miles; however, I did spend several hours a week climbing dune stairs. That mad a difference!

DownEaster
05-12-2017, 01:16
I'm afraid I'm not that disciplined in training. Mostly I follow the "European forced diet" model of only eating what I carry home from the store. So if a local (the most common either 3 miles or 6 miles) grocery store has a sale on caffeine free diet Dr. Pepper, I load up my huge pack and carry 55-65 lbs. on the return trip. But mostly I'm making 2-3 shopping trips a week of 20-30 lbs., with milk and juice providing most of the weight. The rest of my training hikes I'll walk to a movie (6 miles) with the trip mostly along a greenway, or up to the Baylands park and hike along the marshes (maybe 9 miles total). When I'm not carrying a load home from the store I'll add extra water, snacks, and a couple of books to my day pack so there's some weight there. So I'll carry anywhere from 15 lbs. to 65 lbs. depending on the circumstances, though only for 3 miles on the return trip at the top weight. Those hikes vary greatly in difficulty. But as I see it, the important thing is to get out and walk frequently, and leaving the car in the driveway nearly all the time is how I achieve that needed frequency.

jefals
05-12-2017, 03:04
I think other posters have given great advice for starting out.

Once you are no longer the "Nube" to training, I would suggest you build in the elevation changes. Either do steps, climb hills, or get on a stair climber at a gym. NOTE: My first year, I trained by walking... walking... walking... carrying a pack... I walked up to 25 miles a day; however, those "flat lander walks" did not pra\pare me for the mountains of the AT. The next year, I didn't walk so many miles; however, I did spend several hours a week climbing dune stairs. That mad a difference!
Wow! Well, as I work up my miles on this trail, I will be getting more climbing. (More times around the trail = more climbing).
But...25 mpd? How long did that take you? And how often did you do it?
Sometimes I do an 11 mile flat walk, around a lake, no weight except water.
When I workout indoors, I do 20 minutes of stairs and 45 on the elliptical. But since I found this trail so close to home, I decided that is what I really want to train on. My mistake - as many folks have mentioned - is worrying too much about weight. So I'm going to focus on getting my miles up to where I want, and then gradually add in the weight. .

jefals
05-12-2017, 03:12
I've never seen any training plans for hiking like you do for other activities. But as an older person I feel the need to work up to my planned pack weight with food/water. I walk everyday, but that does not prepare your muscles and tendons for the extra weight of a pack. Younger people may not need the training, but I certainly do. Personally I follow the insight for long distance running. You can increase speed or distance, but don't increase both at the same time. so each week only consider adding one or the other not both. Also you don't have to make every hike the same. Some can be with pack and others without. Some short, some longer. some hilly some flat.
Thanks Skeeter. Speed or distance. Can we change that to weight or distance? I'm not all that concerned with speed. Except, from the standpoint that, since I'm training for desert hiking and sometimes long distances without water - then speed could be a factor in the sense that, if I am confident that i can make it to that next water source before "quitting time", then I might not need to carry as much water.

Engine
05-12-2017, 08:23
There are 3 key factors which directly affect your ability to maintain thru-hiking miles without injury. 1. Volume. 2. Intensity. 3. Ability to withstand the insult of downhill (especially steep pitches).

Training for volume and intensity is easy, it can be done almost anywhere. Cardio-pulmonary fitness comes quickly as well, just from a combination of volume and intensity.

But, what chased most aspiring thru-hikers off trail in the first couple weeks was knee issues resulting from their lack of preparation for sustained steep downhills. Unless you live in an area with steep long grades, it's just about impossible to condition the distal quads and knees for the abuse pre-hike.

For that reason alone, even after all the pre-hike training, plan on easy 8 mile days for the first week. Especially as an older hiker...

Counting the approach trail, we covered around 37 miles the first 2 days this year. On day 3 I limped down Blood Mountain on a terribly painful knee. It too weeks of easy hiking for it to fully recover.

(Of course now I'm laid up with giardia. Not sure how you can train to crap through a screen...lol)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ScareBear
05-12-2017, 08:29
Thanks Skeeter. Speed or distance. Can we change that to weight or distance? I'm not all that concerned with speed. Except, from the standpoint that, since I'm training for desert hiking and sometimes long distances without water - then speed could be a factor in the sense that, if I am confident that i can make it to that next water source before "quitting time", then I might not need to carry as much water.

Training using speed as a tool is vital as it is speed rather than distance that improves your cardio. You have to get your HR up, and keep it up, for as long as possible in order to achieve maximum cardio. So, it's a bit of a compromise. Your body needs the distance to get accustomed to the duration of the exercise, but also needs the speed to get better cardio. As another stated, just flat walking for 20 miles won't help so much with 10 miles on the AT in GA or NC. It will help, no doubt. Just not so much. It is the cardio that will get you up the mountain, IMHO. That is why I set some arbitrary time parameters in my previous post for you to work at. Feel free to adjust them, but I was trying to get across that it is the mix of the duration and the intensity that determines the success of any athletic training endeavor. IMHO, the best way to train for mountains is to hike them. Or try to create a facsimile. StairMaster is a great tool/torture device....

cbxx
05-12-2017, 09:20
Great point ScareBear, I think after getting into the training a ways, working on upping your speed (and sustained raised heart rate) is a very good strategy. I shoot for 2.5 - 3 mph. This way we can get in a 20 mile day in 8 hours (ideally). Most people can't spend that time training, so intervals and even strength training are shortcuts. By the way, I love that this is a bunch of old guys trying to help each other...stay strong my brothers! (I'm 59).

JohnHuth
05-12-2017, 10:55
FWIW - I typically start with low mileage and low weight. I then slowly up the degree of difficulty on the hikes, and begin to add in weight. By the time I'm ready to go, I can shoulder a full pack and do what I anticipate as the hike for a hard day.

This can produce some interesting situations. Locally in Boston, there's an area called the Blue Hills Reservation - the hills aren't so high, but there is a lot of ups-and-downs, so by stringing together trails, I can get up to 2000 vertical feet and about 10 miles. There are all day hikers out there, so carrying a full pack looks kinda weird, but every so often, I see a like-minded person training up.

SkeeterPee
05-12-2017, 13:58
Yes that was the concept I was meaning. Add weight or distance, but not both.

jefals
05-12-2017, 14:25
FWIW - I typically start with low mileage and low weight. I then slowly up the degree of difficulty on the hikes, and begin to add in weight. By the time I'm ready to go, I can shoulder a full pack and do what I anticipate as the hike for a hard day.

This can produce some interesting situations. Locally in Boston, there's an area called the Blue Hills Reservation - the hills aren't so high, but there is a lot of ups-and-downs, so by stringing together trails, I can get up to 2000 vertical feet and about 10 miles. There are all day hikers out there, so carrying a full pack looks kinda weird, but every so often, I see a like-minded person training up.
Right. My trail is also only dayhikers. But, when you get to my age, one of the good things is you no longer worry about looking wierd. ?

jefals
05-12-2017, 14:30
Yes that was the concept I was meaning. Add weight or distance, but not both.
Ok, I think I'm going for distance first. Shooting for 9 miles with a pack loaded with just my 3l camelbak and sleeping bag. Once comfortable with that, I'll start adding stuff slowly to the pack till, hopefully, I'm comfortable with the full pack...

Venchka
05-12-2017, 15:44
I wonder...
Would watching the videos made by the Alabama hiker on the PCT add sufficient encouragement?
I'm also trying to do the mental arithmetic for the 15 miles to the next water in a day or overnight. I'm not sure that you would be carrying much less water. Maybe a liter different. I'm probably wrong. I don't have any arid location experience. High altitude but not SoCal arid.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefals
05-12-2017, 17:02
I wonder...
Would watching the videos made by the Alabama hiker on the PCT add sufficient encouragement?
I'm also trying to do the mental arithmetic for the 15 miles to the next water in a day or overnight. I'm not sure that you would be carrying much less water. Maybe a liter different. I'm probably wrong. I don't have any arid location experience. High altitude but not SoCal arid.
Wayne

While I don't think I need encouragement, I do enjoy her videos. ROLL TIDE!
15 miles, I think IN GENERAL, they figure 5 miles per liter. That kind of figuring could kill ya, tho, out on the PCT. If you're not in hiking condition, if the weather's hot, you may need more. And 15 miles between water is not uncommon on the PCT. Sometimes it's 30 if you don't count caches. So, if you can do 15 or 20 a day, it helps. If I have to go 15 miles between water sources and I'm only hiking 6 miles per day, I have to figure, not only the water I need for hiking 15 miles, but also at least a couple liters for 2 nights of camping. So, altho I like to ramble on about 6 per day, I guess I should shoot for at least 9..

Venchka
05-12-2017, 17:10
Fair enough.
Hopefully you'll get over to the Rockies soon where the trails are positively soggy by comparison.
Wayne

TwoSpirits
05-12-2017, 17:24
I have been relying on a few different exercise each week to work off the winter sloth and prepare for summer/fall hiking. Various obligations and responsibilities affect all of us in terms of how and when we can train, but this routine works for me:

Three days a week (M/W/F) I focus on basic stretching & calisthenics -- squats, crunches, push-ups -- to focus on leg & core strength. On these days I also walk about 6 miles (just around town or city trails), and also do 10 minutes on my Bowflex (great cardio workout along with strengthening the legs.)

Two days a week (Tue/Thur) I hit some of the trails nearby (the hills of southern Indiana are really quite good for this.) One of the days is intended to be fairly short but intense -- 6 to 8 miles with a very basic daypack and focused on speed (with a couple of steep & long staircases thrown in.) The other hiking day is focused on developing miles and endurance. I start the spring with just 4-6 easy miles, and then work my way up a specific series of distances over the next several weeks. On these hikes I wear my backpack, but only filled with the essentials. Last year I worked my way up to 20 miles, did that twice (i.e., repeated the next week), and then I dial it back to 10-12 miles with increasing weight in the pack. For weight, I simply use the gear I plan to hike with, instead of "artificial" weight (I hear people talk about using bags of rice or sugar, etc.) I stay at this mileage until I'm comfortable with my weight.

On Saturdays I try to get a few miles on my bike, and on Sundays I rest.

I'm finding, at 54, that I really, REALLY need that rest! If I feel like I need more rest, I listen to my body and dial it all back for a few days, but I don't stop moving for more than a day. If & when I have been off for a few days, I'm careful about starting up again -- it feels like the rust builds up very quickly even after a couple of days.

Dogwood
05-12-2017, 17:29
That's twice where I'm reading you had knee problems doing modest daily miles. Aiming to reduce the wt you haul not increasing it no matter other daily distance or pack wt goals should be a priotity as it sounds like that is having a negative effect on your knees. If you don't use trekking poles consider using them with intention to reduce knee stress. There are other things you should consider to address the knees as well such as hiking technique, knee support like a compression sleeve, maybe some supplements working with your health care pracititoners, etc. Red Beard @ ZP likely is very good at water wise logistics. The idea that one always needs to haul high amounts of H2O wt for SoCal is a misnemanor. Most I ever carried in Socal on the PCT was 3 L starting mid April and that turned out to be too much winding up pouring a liter on the ground. UGGGH! I didn't have the water report for that PCT segement. GET current water reports! There are quite a few water wise LD hikers here on WB that have thrued the PCT. I suggest you tap them and peruse older threads where many of us have shared. SoCal for the PCT one can offset the possible water wt one does haul with lower wt kits.IMO, it's great you're getting out and willing to still evolve your backpacking skill set at 70+ yrs. I applaud you!

Venchka
05-12-2017, 17:42
Jeff is planning to hike in November. No doubt quite dry. Nobody parked at road crossings with fruit, water, juice and beer.
Wayne

Dogwood
05-12-2017, 20:14
Missed that V. :)That means cooler weather though too! Could be another good time to night hike?

jefals
05-12-2017, 20:14
That's twice where I'm reading you had knee problems doing modest daily miles. Aiming to reduce the wt you haul not increasing it no matter other daily distance or pack wt goals should be a priotity as it sounds like that is having a negative effect on your knees. If you don't use trekking poles consider using them with intention to reduce knee stress. There are other things you should consider to address the knees as well such as hiking technique, knee support like a compression sleeve, maybe some supplements working with your health care pracititoners, etc. Red Beard @ ZP likely is very good at water wise logistics. The idea that one always needs to haul high amounts of H2O wt for SoCal is a misnemanor. Most I ever carried in Socal on the PCT was 3 L starting mid April and that turned out to be too much winding up pouring a liter on the ground. UGGGH! I didn't have the water report for that PCT segement. GET current water reports! There are quite a few water wise LD hikers here on WB that have thrued the PCT. I suggest you tap them and peruse older threads where many of us have shared. SoCal for the PCT one can offset the possible water wt one does haul with lower wt kits.IMO, it's great you're getting out and willing to still evolve your backpacking skill set at 70+ yrs. I applaud you!
Yeah, I'm sure there's some underlying arthritis or something in there, but this was the first tine with a modest day hike. The first real problem was on the downhill coming into, I think it's Barrel Springs, after 16 days on PCT, pack probably around 40 by then... (but I don't really know; could have been more or less)..2nd time I was kinda racing down a ski slope , coming off the TRT. It was sandy, steep, and I was rushing, pack wasn't all that heavy , but fast-walking down that hill with tge pack weight, well...
But this time it was just a few miles and not real steep. But tge heavy pack.
So, yeah, I always use poles, and I've been taking osteo-biflex for years. Had a cortisone shot in the knee in March, just prior to a lot of day-hiking.

As Wayne mentioned, if I go to Campo, it'll be in the fall, most likely. There probably will be no one else there. (That's kinda the way I like it, tho it would be good if there are a few other vagabonds out there. But not the crowds that are out there now). And yeah, I'll agree that you can do it with 3l -- if you can do the daily miles. So we'll see what kind of miles I can work up to...

jefals
05-12-2017, 20:25
Missed that V. :)That means cooler weather though too! Could be another good time to night hike?
I don't think my eyes are good enough for night hiking. And here's another geezer problem: - your fingers don't work as good as they used to.
Now, with that in mind, picture yourself on a high, narrow ridge, late on a dark night, and your headlamp goes out. You gotta change that little battery. In the dark. With fingers that aren't quite as nimble as you'd like them to be. First - you gotta get the case off, and you might need to find some small tool just to do that....if it's cold, those fingers REALLY don't work!...Well, you get the idea.
Part of survival is knowin your limits, and I know mine!

Venchka
05-12-2017, 20:42
Walmart sells headlamps for $1.00. I have 6 or 8 of them. I carry one in my pack. It's a spare if my primary needs batteries. It is also my midnight excursion lamp and tent nightlight. My good headlamp is saved for serious use.
Wayne

jefals
05-12-2017, 21:38
Walmart sells headlamps for $1.00. I have 6 or 8 of them. I carry one in my pack. It's a spare if my primary needs batteries. It is also my midnight excursion lamp and tent nightlight. My good headlamp is saved for serious use.
Wayne

Ok, but I don't think I wanna night hike anyway. ?
No real need to, anywsy, that time of year. ..

Venchka
05-12-2017, 22:00
Ok, but I don't think I wanna night hike anyway. ?
No real need to, anywsy, that time of year. ..

Sorry. I wasn't suggesting night hiking. I'm just saying that for $1.00 you get a spare light with batteries that weighs nothing and just as hands free convenient as a headlamp. I tried a practice battery replacement with my good headlamp. Pitch black dark. Not happening. The little headlamp from Walmart made battery replacement a piece of cake. I'm now using the little light in the tent. Saving the big one for emergencies like night hiking.
Wayne

Dogwood
05-12-2017, 23:02
I don't think my eyes are good enough for night hiking. And here's another geezer problem: - your fingers don't work as good as they used to.
Now, with that in mind, picture yourself on a high, narrow ridge, late on a dark night, and your headlamp goes out. You gotta change that little battery. In the dark. With fingers that aren't quite as nimble as you'd like them to be. First - you gotta get the case off, and you might need to find some small tool just to do that....if it's cold, those fingers REALLY don't work!...Well, you get the idea.
Part of survival is knowin your limits, and I know mine!

Yes, I'm picturing it. I would have another light source even if it's just a BIC lighter or the moon.

In Nov in SoCal might want to have some light wt gloves and/or pockets in your outermost layer and/or chemical heat packs for just such a purpose...to keep comfortably and safe extending your hrs moving...which as you are aware, extends your daily miles avg...which snowballs into hauling less water wt or being tethered to camping at water sources.

When night hiking is spoken about it simply can mean extending hiking before sun up during the pre dawn hrs or after sunset if only just an hr after sunset. You can define night hiking as you wish not abiding by anyone else's rigid or assumed definition. This really factors back into your original questions of increasing your daily mileage...hike more hrs...and hiking with less wt...less need for water hiking when it's cooler...possibly overall having fewer risks to knees and the rest of your body and mind. ;)

jefals
05-13-2017, 02:11
thanks, DW. yes, I keep a pair of gloves in my jacket pocket. I think most folks, when talking about night-hiking, are already up to at least 15 mpd, and trying to extend that. have you seen Redbeard's videos? he was up at 3 and hikin at 3:30! NOT ME! ? In the morning, I like to feel the sun before I get going, and then, after maybe 6 hours of hiking, I've had enough for the day. You might ask why I just don't hike where there's more water. And I don't mind doing that. But, after my experience on the PCT a couple years ago, I don't know what it is, but it just seems to be calling me back. I don't know. Maybe it's the apple pie in Julian! ?

MuddyWaters
05-13-2017, 07:53
I think most folks, when talking about night-hiking, are already up to at least 15 mpd, and trying to extend that. have you seen Redbeard's videos? he was up at 3 and hikin at 3:30! NOT ME! ? In the morning, I like to feel the sun before I get going, and then, after maybe 6 hours of hiking, I've had enough for the day.

Usually need a reason
I like to start early.
Avoiding heat is good reason, very good
Seeing sunrise alone from places is too
Need to make miles is ok

It can be hard to get up sometimes. Im always glad later I did.

jefals
05-13-2017, 10:43
I think most folks, when talking about night-hiking, are already up to at least 15 mpd, and trying to extend that. have you seen Redbeard's videos? he was up at 3 and hikin at 3:30! NOT ME! ? In the morning, I like to feel the sun before I get going, and then, after maybe 6 hours of hiking, I've had enough for the day.

Usually need a reason
I like to start early.
Avoiding heat is good reason, very good
Seeing sunrise alone from places is too
Need to make miles is ok

It can be hard to get up sometimes. Im always glad later I did.
If you're in Campo in November, that will take care of a couple things you mentioned...
It won't be too hot
You can see the sunrise alone. You'll most likely be alone pretty much all the time.

Runner2017
05-13-2017, 12:55
The best you can do is to just walk carrying nothing at leisure pace for 3 to 5 miles every day in the beginning. The goal is to lose 10% to 15% of your current body weight in two to three months so that your body can easily carry your load later on trail.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

TX Aggie
05-13-2017, 13:05
Your feet will most likely be the weakest point. That being said, miles per outing will be the most important factor in initial training. Getting the reps with the shoes, callus buildup, etc. even with just 20 lbs you'll be strengthening. If you're going out several days a week, make one day a heavy/short day.

Nodust
05-13-2017, 17:05
I added biking for intensifying training. Running hurts my knees but pedaling all out for 30 minutes has helped build my legs up. Follow with 4-8 mile walk depending on how much time I have. I normally walk at 16 minute
miles very light or no pack.

Try to get a 10 or more mile hike in once a week. With a light pack.

jefals
05-13-2017, 18:45
update: some of you guys have been giving me great advice. Knee w a s feeling ok today, so went up there with my lightweight pack, 2.5l water and sleeping bag. no problems with knee at all. I only did one loop, but I know I could have done another. I think next week I'll start doing 2 loops, and when I'm doing 3, then I'll start gradually adding weight...

Venchka
05-13-2017, 20:16
Sounds like a winner. Don't add weight until your knees says OK.
Wayne

Leo L.
05-14-2017, 13:44
I'm afraid I'm not that disciplined in training. Mostly I follow the "European forced diet" model of only eating what I carry home from the store. So if a local (the most common either 3 miles or 6 miles) grocery store has a sale on caffeine free diet Dr. Pepper, I load up my huge pack and carry 55-65 lbs. on the return trip. But mostly I'm making 2-3 shopping trips a week of 20-30 lbs., with milk and juice providing most of the weight. The rest of my training hikes I'll walk to a movie (6 miles) with the trip mostly along a greenway, or up to the Baylands park and hike along the marshes (maybe 9 miles total). When I'm not carrying a load home from the store I'll add extra water, snacks, and a couple of books to my day pack so there's some weight there. So I'll carry anywhere from 15 lbs. to 65 lbs. depending on the circumstances, though only for 3 miles on the return trip at the top weight. Those hikes vary greatly in difficulty. But as I see it, the important thing is to get out and walk frequently, and leaving the car in the driveway nearly all the time is how I achieve that needed frequency.
I really like this attitude!
When I still had my office a few miles away from my house, starting a few weeks before an upcoming hike I used to pack a backpack and walked it to and from the office daily, an various routes, for training purpose.

Longboysfan
05-24-2017, 11:14
Ok, so I start with 20 lbs and 3 miles, till I'm comfortable with that. What's next -
a) 30 pounds and 3 miles?
b) 20 pounds and 5 miles?
Is it better to build up the weight first or the distance first. Or does it matter?

Sorry slow on the reply.

I did the lighter weight till I was very comfortable with it.
I did not find carrying 29 a problem.
It's when I got up to near 35 that I felt it a lot.

Stay low weight to start then add miles with it.

jefals
08-20-2017, 15:45
Thanks guys! I started this thread in May and took your advice. slowly worked up to the weight I'd need for this 23 mile section of the TRT. Just finished it and, while it wore me out, I had no knee problems. Hoping to tackle the next section soon!

PGH1NC
08-20-2017, 17:04
Thanks guys! I started this thread in May and took your advice. slowly worked up to the weight I'd need for this 23 mile section of the TRT. Just finished it and, while it wore me out, I had no knee problems. Hoping to tackle the next section soon!

Jefals, glad it worked out. Two weeks ago I finished the AT SNP section. My training mentioned earlier in this thread ended up with 180 pack miles on local trails gradually increasing hills and weight. I finished with no foot, knee, back or any other problems so I feel it worked well for me.

The only difference between me and my younger companions (upper 40s) was on the steeper, longer hills. If moving (relatively) fast I just had to stop for about 30 seconds every couple of 100 yards. I was not out of breath but seemed that my legs needed a few seconds to get a ready oxygen supply which I attribute to an older person's lower maximum heart rate. I did use my pair of trekking poles religiously.