PDA

View Full Version : Ozark Trail - Training Through Hike

mml373
05-12-2017, 02:57
Hi. Currently am in the very beginning stage of thinking about an Ozark Trail through hike (see resources at http://www.ozarktrail.com/thruhiking.php#q1). I was wondering if there are any here who have completed such a hike.

To me, it seems as though this would be a good intro/training hike in prep for my A.T. through hike, anticipated in 2020 or so (oh, "use or lose" leave...!) Biggest questions/concerns I have are in regards to water availability and lack of proximity to resources/towns compared to the A.T. Some of these issues are lightly addressed in the link above and by other links off their main page, but I think it would be great to open deeper discussion on the topic of O.T. through hikes to further elaboration.

Speaking of which...why is there no section for the Ozark Trail in this "Listing of Other Long Trails"?

Venchka
05-12-2017, 10:28
There is a lengthy discussion of backpacking on Arkansas trails here at WhiteBlaze. 2-3 years ago.
The Cliff Notes version: Winter was the only time when the trail was passable. Overgrown trails, insects, heat, humidity, generally awful conditions the rest of the year.
Search. It's around here somewhere.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronk
05-12-2017, 10:38
I've hiked most of the northern half of it, down to about Taum Sauk, but not all in one shot. My advice is to hike it in the fall or winter. Try it in the spring and you may drown and try it in the summer and you'll probably be found with heat stroke covered in ticks. I've never had much of a problem finding water in the parts I've hiked. I've always hiked with a partner so we had 2 vehicles to do shuttling. Doing a thru would definitely require more logistical help. Lots of times I've base camped and just did day hikes on sections of the OT and other nearby loops.

Dogwood
05-12-2017, 11:56
It's great you're anticipating getting out. This sounds like a great fall or maybe late winter pre AT training hike. I'd also suggest picking your Ozark Tr hiking time frame to avoid what Bronk said. People do hike the Ozark Tr with success in summer and with some high water though. I have hiked thru-hiked the Ouachita Tr in June and will be thru hiking the entire Ozark Highlands and Buffalo River Trails this June.

lonehiker
05-12-2017, 12:35
It's great you're anticipating getting out. This sounds like a great fall or maybe late winter pre AT training hike. I'd also suggest picking your Ozark Tr hiking time frame to avoid what Bronk said. People do hike the Ozark Tr with success in summer and with some high water though. I have hiked thru-hiked the Ouachita Tr in June and will be thru hiking the entire Ozark Highlands and Buffalo River Trails this June.

I attempted to hike the Ozark Highlands trail a few years ago. Must have been in March or April. Had to abort the hike as the little creek crossings became raging rivers from all of the rain that fell and with several more days of rain forecasted. But, the 70 miles or so I did hike, was a great trail. Speaking of the Ouachita trail, it was probably the most solitude I have ever experienced on a trail. Fourteen of the seventeen days on the trail I didn't see a soul. Of the 11 people I did run into 6 of them were trail maintainers. Saw one westbound thru-hiker (I was going east). Great guidebooks for both trails by Ernst.

Venchka
05-12-2017, 18:11
Don't believe me. Here is the earlier thread.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/119398-Ozark-Highlands-Trail?highlight=Ouachita
Wayne

Dogwood
05-12-2017, 20:01
Yup Lonehiker Shamrock Shan. LOL. Just got off reading your nicely worded Medicine Bow 100 article...again. So you did wind up doing/finishing the TRT, PCT, OT, SHT, and CT as you said? Wow, nice follow through. Thanx for the MB100 maps, tracks and notes. Going to be in WY this yr and the "Bow 100" should be a nice 5-6 day jam. Mahalo. You are so serious in those pics. Yeah, the Ozark Tr can have high creek crossings after several days of rain. There are some noted high water alternates though. I remember Nimblewill Nomad telling me about an extensive 30+ mile walk around to avoid an impassable high water stream on the Ozark Tr on his "Triple O" hike - Ozark Tr, Ozark hHghlands Tr, and Ouachita Tr hikes all done in one back to back fashion ...which is often what I like to do too. I had two chest high deep ones on the Ouachita though too. Kinda hairy not seeing the bottom on fords that deep in water moving fast enough to sweep ya away. A OHT thru-hiker cetainly can have impassable or dangerous fords as well. :)

Venchka
05-12-2017, 20:51
Dogwood,
Reason enough to avoid Arkansas.
Thanks!
Wayne

Dogwood
05-12-2017, 23:27
Dogwood,
Reason enough to avoid Arkansas.
Thanks!
Wayne

I once had this mistaken opinion about Arkansas, Utah, Idaho, Michigan, eastern Oregon, eastern Washington state, China, Russia, and Vietnam.

mml373
05-13-2017, 04:51
Appreciate the replies. I've hiked around some of the state parks in MO this time of year (and later) and concur that heat and ticks are abundant.

Unfortunately have missed all intended hikes this year due to work schedule and the floods, so am looking for options to sneak one in before it gets too warm. And then the waiting game for Fall begins. Perhaps there are other trails, farther north, I can hike during the rougher months here in the Midwest.

Dogwood
05-13-2017, 08:47
River to River Tr - west side garden of the gods is nice, Shawnee Nat Forest

Dogwood
05-13-2017, 08:47
http://rivertorivertrailhike.com/dir/?page_id=4

ScareBear
05-13-2017, 09:23
River to River Tr - west side garden of the gods is nice, Shawnee Nat Forest

Wait. What?

You've hiked the Garden of the G-ds???? The Shawnee????

Dude, that, Taum Sauk, Big Spring, Current River, 11 Point, ShawneeNF, MarkTwainNF, are all my stomping grounds! How in the world did you come to the River to River TR?

It's hard to explain to people that Southern Illinois is incredibly beautiful. The area south of IL13 to the Ohio is great!

Bronk
05-13-2017, 10:34
Speaking of the Ouachita trail, it was probably the most solitude I have ever experienced on a trail. Fourteen of the seventeen days on the trail I didn't see a soul. Of the 11 people I did run into 6 of them were trail maintainers. Saw one westbound thru-hiker (I was going east). Great guidebooks for both trails by Ernst.The Ozark Trail is similar traffic wise. There are a few popular tourist spots where you will run into day hikers on weekends or holidays, but for the most part you will have the whole place to yourself. I have NEVER encountered another hiker who was backpacking. I doubt very many people backpack on the OT...this is evidenced by the fact that seeing a campsite on the OT is pretty rare. You might walk 30 miles and see one fire ring off the side of the trail. In certain places there are campgrounds set up for horses and you might encounter some people out riding for the day. But these are situational like the popular tourist spots. For the most part you won't see anybody.

lonehiker
05-13-2017, 10:58
Yup Lonehiker Shamrock Shan. LOL. Just got off reading your nicely worded Medicine Bow 100 article...again. So you did wind up doing/finishing the TRT, PCT, OT, SHT, and CT as you said? Wow, nice follow through. Thanx for the MB100 maps, tracks and notes. Going to be in WY this yr and the "Bow 100" should be a nice 5-6 day jam. Mahalo. You are so serious in those pics. Yeah, the Ozark Tr can have high creek crossings after several days of rain. There are some noted high water alternates though. I remember Nimblewill Nomad telling me about an extensive 30+ mile walk around to avoid an impassable high water stream on the Ozark Tr on his "Triple O" hike - Ozark Tr, Ozark hHghlands Tr, and Ouachita Tr hikes all done in one back to back fashion ...which is often what I like to do too. I had two chest high deep ones on the Ouachita though too. Kinda hairy not seeing the bottom on fords that deep in water moving fast enough to sweep ya away. A OHT thru-hiker cetainly can have impassable or dangerous fords as well. :)

I have completed all those listed with the exception of the PCT and I might finish it this year. Will do Oregon for sure with tentative plans to continue as OR is fairly short. I want to clarify about the article on the MB100. I did not write the body of the article. That was written by Roger Ludwig a local freelance writer. He has a great blog with hikes around the country, with many in Wyoming and Colorado, at www.awayfromthegrind.com. I did assist with the descriptive part of the article.

Because the MB100 is not a loop you do have to figure out the vehicle issue. If I am not hiking I would be willing to help shuttle or drop off a vehicle. Just send me a PM or direct to my email at [email protected]. Just an FYI, I am in the process of finding a way to make this a complete loop. It will entail following some closed FS roads, a bit of trail, and a road walk. But, this road walk will take you through a town that can be used for re-supply etc. I just don't know if I will be able to generate the maps for it until 2018. We will see what I can get done between trips this summer.