PDA

View Full Version : Hand saw/ pruning saw

squeezebox
05-12-2017, 05:30
So I'm thinking about getting a small pruning saw for around the house. To trim trees, thin the bamboo patch, etc. So I might as well get a nice folding saw that I could take on short hiking trips, or car camping. Do you have any opinions about a nice small, light folding saw appropriate for such use?
Thanks!

Old Hillwalker
05-12-2017, 05:35
Check out the Felco brand. I have a Felco pruning saw that I have carried and used on the trails for at least ten years, Very sharp, fast, and dangerous to ones hands and clothing if used carelessly.

Rain Man
05-12-2017, 09:11
I have 4 folding saws, not counting collapsible bow saws for yard work and backpacking.

I recommend Bahco folding saw. Very light. Makes short work of small (4" or so) limbs and blowdowns. It's what I take these days, unless I'm taking my Sven collapsible bow saw for bigger blowdowns.

I don't know the Felco brand, but would certainly trust Old Hillwalker's recommendation too. After all, he met me in the Mahoosuc Notch and shepherded me through and up and over Mahoosuc Arm like a mountain goat (him, not me)! :D He knows his stuff.

HooKooDooKu
05-12-2017, 09:34
I would suggest looking into two different saws, one for each purpose.

For a camping saw, you want something that is light weight, and that might mean a blade that isn't as sturdy as something you would want to utilize for yard work where weight isn't so much of a problem.

For example, I like using this Gerber saw (https://www.rei.com/product/730550/gerber-gator-folding-wood-saw-with-sheath) when camping. It's light weight and extremely sharp. I can cut thru a log the size of your wrist in almost no time with this saw.
However, I have to be very careful using this saw to make sure I don't bend the blade.

For around the house, I prefer something with a little more heft to it... such as Corona brand saws available at places like Lowes. About twice the weight, and it's a bit more difficult to bend the blade.

tarditi
05-12-2017, 10:09
x2 on the Bahco - tough, stays sharp, makes short work of it

JohnHuth
05-12-2017, 10:31
Sven folding saw

peakbagger
05-12-2017, 10:44
I carry a Sawvivor when I head out to work my AT boundary line in Maine and usually in the spring/early summer to do some quick blowdown removal. https://www.rei.com/product/689759/trail-blazer-sawvivor-saw. Sadly they are out of business. Luckily I have plenty of spare blades. I find I can cut a bigger blow downs with a frame saw than a folding blade type saw. Of course no saw will last long without paying attention to physics, if you cut on the wrong side of the branch when its under compression, the blade is going to get pinched (same with a chainsaw) With a folding blade type saw like the Fedco, you may bend the blade whne it pinches while with a frame type saw its far less likely to bend the blade but is more likely to just plain get stuck. Sven Saws https://www.rei.com/b/sven/c/camp-saws?r=b%3Bc&origin=web&ir=brand%3Asven%3Bcategory%3Acamp-saws&page=1&s_kwcid=PS_Bing%7C401_2791740%7CSven+Saw%7CNB%7C4b dbd64c-48b7-42af-b76f-a828086870bd%7Ckwd-25553611252 would be my second choice and are a long term favorite of many canoe campers. It has a bit less capacity than the Sawvivor due to it throat depth but still has the same benefits. One thing to keep in mind it that most of these blades are intended to be replaced when dull. If you stick to clean wood they last a long time but cutting dirty wood with soil in the bark is going to wear out a blade. I have run into far too many sven saws over the years with dull blades and they sure can make things miserable. I strongly suggest buying spare blades when you buy the saw.

Of course if you want one hand tool to inflict the maximum amount of damage and don't care on cut quality its hard to beat a surveyors brush ax. https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-3022-Clearing-Axe/dp/B000288XQ8. I used to hack many a line in the woods with one and a quick touch up with a file on occasion keeps it fairly sharp. The downside is that it tends to leave sharp "punji sticks" in its wake. When I want to move blowdowns quick that's my tool of choice. Far better than a machete and a lot faster than a saw.

Dogwood
05-12-2017, 11:09
I'd have different saws. Several viable options offered. I would not be using a folding saw for anything larger than 3-4" max in either camping or home situations. If you do use one saw as a do it all saw be mindful to disinfect it regular or you can transfer disease

Slo-go'en
05-12-2017, 11:43
I picked up a saw in Hot Springs at Bluff Mt outfitters one year when there were a lot of recent blow downs across the trail and I got tired of trying to break off branches by hand. It was a Gerber which the blade slid into an aluminum handle, vertically. It was very light and compact. I used it to clear a lot of trees off the trail in the following couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I don't think it's available anymore and I eventually snapped the blade in half trying to cut down a tree much bigger then I should have (at home).

devoncloud
05-12-2017, 12:09
Silky saws are my favorite. They are beasts. I backpack a lot in the Ouichitaw forest in Arkansas which has a lot of wood cutting involved (firewood, trail maintenance etc...) so I use their Big boy folding saw. It will cut through adult trees in no time flat, but they also have smaller models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
05-12-2017, 14:55
Tipi Walter is known to have nice things and carries this folding saw. I personally carry a sven saw on shorter "camping trip" hikes.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2017-Trips-79/The-Accidental-Blizzard/i-9kLFmvn/0/07acec6f/XL/tRIP%20182%20%28230%29-XL.jpg
I finish the North Fork trail and connect to the brushy poorly maintained Rocky Flats trail and go in several miles and stop for a break with my trail tools.

TNhiker
05-12-2017, 15:18
thats the model i use as well (in gambit's post with tipi's picture)------its like 20 bucks at home depot..........

and easy to store in backpack...

mPalozzola01
05-12-2017, 16:09
Bahco 396-LAP Laplander Folding Saw, 7-1/2 -Inch Blade great light weight versatile and sharp

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
05-13-2017, 00:06
thats the model i use as well (in gambit's post with tipi's picture)------its like 20 bucks at home depot..........
and easy to store in backpack...
What's the weight ?

orthofingers
05-13-2017, 07:14
+1 Anything made by Silky. One thing you didn't mention is the size ( diameter) of the material you intend to cut. Silky makes small, light folding saws like the PocketBoy that would probably max out at a 3" branch, all the way up to the Katana Boy 500 and 650. Those will cut large trees almost as fast as a chainsaw.

The Bahco Laplander mentioned above has become almost the gold standard in the bushcraft community. They are lightweight, inexpensive and the blade is almost indestructible.

lumberjaime
05-14-2017, 00:44
+1 for Silky (I particularly like the "Big Boy") and +1 for Sven Saws. I have used both for cutting wood between 1"-8" in diameter, they make quick work and are easy to handle.

GoLight
05-14-2017, 15:16
http://www.gerbergear.com/Cutting-Tools/Saws/Exchange-a-blade-Saw_46036

I agree with above, two saws. A bigger, better, longer buck saw for yard work and trail work and a small, lightweight folding saw that can slip in the pack for camping. I like the Gerber folding saw with replaceable blade, available at Lowe´s or Home Depot for about $22. It is sharpenable with a small three corner file and replacement wood cutting blades are about $6. Only weighs 8 ounces (without the included sheath which you don´t need to carry). Folds to a sleek shape about 9¨x 1¨ that slides in the pack with no problem. Room on the handle for two handed hold. 7¨blade for limbs up to 3¨ which is ideal for campfire billets.

StillMoving
05-14-2017, 23:18
I have a Silky that I can't find...think the blade is about 10-12". Great saw and I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them.

Frustrated, I just bought this one for $20.00 at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-Power-Tooth-Softgrip-10-in-Blade-Pruning-Saw-390470-1002/204667606

Seems to work as good as the Silky...not sure how long it'll last but it seems pretty stout.

Bansko
05-22-2017, 09:49
I've had a Sven for about 45 years. It's a great saw for ripping through wood in the 1-4 inch range, but it makes a lousy pruning saw, as does any bow saw design. Good for car camping though, or for short hikes in if you plan on a nice big fire. I don't do fires much these days, but they have their nostalgiac place in my camping world.

Slo-go'en
05-22-2017, 12:29
Time for me to start packing a saw and pruning shears when I day hike on local trails. Ran into a couple of blow downs on a hike yesterday.

JFKinYK
05-23-2017, 16:25
For light trail use I have a Coghalns Sierra Saw. Yes it's a piece of crap and must be used lightly, but it's about $9 and weighs around 6-7 ozs I think. It will do most camp chores if you are nice to it. I wouldn't use it for home duty though, and think you might be better off with two saws instead of one.

lonehiker
08-21-2020, 15:52
Recently acquired a Silky Katanaboy 650 (~25" blade). I used it last Tuesday and removed 42 trees (55 cuts), some being at least 10" diameter. I think that, comfortably, I can do 12" diameter trees but would probably limit it to 14"....? Picture is tree with about 9" diameter.

JiminSC
01-25-2022, 12:48
Silky F180 for backpacking, Silky Big Boy 2000 stays in the truck at all times.

cmoulder
01-25-2022, 21:00
For local trail maintenance I have a Silky Gomboy 240.

I don't carry a saw for backpacking.

BlackCloud
01-26-2022, 09:26
I carry a Sawvivor when I head out to work my AT boundary line in Maine and usually in the spring/early summer to do some quick blowdown removal. https://www.rei.com/product/689759/trail-blazer-sawvivor-saw. Sadly they are out of business. Luckily I have plenty of spare blades. I find I can cut a bigger blow downs with a frame saw than a folding blade type saw. Of course no saw will last long without paying attention to physics, if you cut on the wrong side of the branch when its under compression, the blade is going to get pinched (same with a chainsaw) With a folding blade type saw like the Fedco, you may bend the blade whne it pinches while with a frame type saw its far less likely to bend the blade but is more likely to just plain get stuck. Sven Saws https://www.rei.com/b/sven/c/camp-saws?r=b%3Bc&origin=web&ir=brand%3Asven%3Bcategory%3Acamp-saws&page=1&s_kwcid=PS_Bing%7C401_2791740%7CSven+Saw%7CNB%7C4b dbd64c-48b7-42af-b76f-a828086870bd%7Ckwd-25553611252 would be my second choice and are a long term favorite of many canoe campers. It has a bit less capacity than the Sawvivor due to it throat depth but still has the same benefits. One thing to keep in mind it that most of these blades are intended to be replaced when dull. If you stick to clean wood they last a long time but cutting dirty wood with soil in the bark is going to wear out a blade. I have run into far too many sven saws over the years with dull blades and they sure can make things miserable. I strongly suggest buying spare blades when you buy the saw.

Out of business! This is the best saw ever! It weighs nothing and cuts through wood like a champ. Glad I have a spare blade like yourself.

peakbagger
01-26-2022, 12:22
I picked up two saws in hopes of replacing the Sawvivor. The first was a folding Gerber Freescape saw. It looks slick and well built but the blade that it comes with is darn close to useless. Its has minimal set to the teeth so it cuts thin kerf and then jams. If I coudl find a better blade it might be worth it as it about the same size folded up in pack as Sawvivor. The other saw is 21" Spring Creek TUff Saw https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Creek-Manufacturing-Tuff-Camp/dp/B07PHNV12R?th=1. It does not fold up as short or as compact at the Sawvivor but the extra length means faster cuts. The supplied blade has some set to it so it doesnt jamb unless its pinched. A definitely thumbs up for trail maintenance for those who cannot find a Sawvivor. Spring Creek also sells replacement blades. Gerber does not list spare blades on their website. I did find a Nicolson product that may fit but didnt go to the hassle of buying one. Its for plywood which would be less aggressive set.

cmoulder
01-26-2022, 18:14
Out of business! This is the best saw ever! It weighs nothing and cuts through wood like a champ. Glad I have a spare blade like yourself.

14oz is nothing?

Okey dokey.

BlackCloud
01-27-2022, 10:58
14oz is nothing?

Okey dokey.

It's that heavy? It feels weightless as it cuts through wood. I never take a saw backpacking, but for a camp saw it's unparalleled.

peakbagger
01-27-2022, 11:53
For trail maintenance, a saw has to be combination of light, durable and easy to set up. I havent found any lighter alternatives that meet the criteria.

cmoulder
01-28-2022, 08:54
It's that heavy? It feels weightless as it cuts through wood. I never take a saw backpacking, but for a camp saw it's unparalleled.
According to spec in the link...

Technical Specs

Best Use
Camping

Max Blade Length (in.)
21 inches

Closed Length
23 inches

Blade Construction
Swedish steel

Handle Material
Aluminum

Weight
13.7 ounces

As saws go that's pretty light, but *for me* a single item weighing 14oz certainly triggers the "need vs want" debate inside my gram-weenie-wacko noggin. Usually the answer is no, I don't need it.

However, on a recent trip to the Adirondacks my hiking partner carried an 11oz MSR stake hammer. Conditions were such that there wasn't enough snow for my usual deadman sticks for pitching the tent, and the ground beneath was frozen so that stakes were nigh impossible to place by hand, and small rocks, which I'd normally use, were very hard to find under the snow. That stake hammer was just the ticket, and I offered to carry it for the rest of the trip. Worth it in this instance, so I now have one for such occasions. I guess we'll take turns carrying the hammer! ;)

BlackCloud
01-28-2022, 10:16
Swedish Steel

Who knew?

MtDoraDave
02-01-2022, 16:27
I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be a "you don't need a saw" sort of thread.

But, for trail maintenance and for clearing downed trees/ limbs, then a good folding saw would indeed be worth having a thread about.

I have never used a "good" folding saw. The cheap ones always seem to fill up/ clog with sawdust and lose their efficiency quickly.

I have seen videos on youtube where the Silky saws were spoken of quite highly. If I was going to pick a "good" folding saw, I would choose the Silky saw of the size and weight that fit my need.

peakbagger
02-01-2022, 18:03
My friend who maintains a long remote trail in the whites carries a Silky folding saw but If I go with him with one of my larger folding 3 sides saws we tackle much larger stuff. His trail is in wilderness area and the US forest service in understaffed. He can supply them a list of stuff too big for Silky and the FS will get to it eventually (or sometimes a caretaker for a tent site helps out) but cutting the bigger stuff that is in the PITA zone (too low to go under, too high to step over), really makes a difference to the folks using the trail. No doubt the trail runners really like it.

OhioHiker
02-05-2022, 18:52
I backpack with this Opinel, not sure I would recommend it for around the house sized jobs but it works well for backpacking. Admittedly I have kind of gotten out of the fire making business while backpacking unless I have friends or kids with me. When that happens I am mostly snapping things by hand or mechanical advantage by using a V notch in a tree.

turtle fast
02-11-2022, 05:58
Another Sven saw user…perfect for larger blowdowns and trail maintenance. I also use a Gerber or a Fiskars pruning saw but for things under the 4” mark.

OwenM
02-11-2022, 08:38
The smaller of my Corona pruning saws weighs 179g/6.3oz. I used it to remove about a dozen small trees overhanging or partially obstructing a FS road this week, and it's enough for anything I'm likely to tackle on a trail.

I'm always doing reviews and tutorials that noone else will ever see...
https://i.imgur.com/wui4WkB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/b4CDRb3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rT39Bqr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/q0nsuT7.jpg

Gambit McCrae
02-11-2022, 11:54
Owen that is great work sir!

I am surprised Tipiwalter hasnt chimed in, he is a proud sporter of hand tools on trail

Mockernut
02-11-2022, 12:04
Tipi is likely out on a 30 day hike while we are sitting inside looking at our phones....so jealous.

peakbagger
02-11-2022, 14:22
A small fold up saw and competent user can really clean up trail pretty quickly as the photo shows. In this case it was a lot of small stuff, but a lazy hiker may find a go around until it is cleaned up. What I try to concentrate on are the larger diameter logs that are across the trail, too high to step over and too low to climb under. I can go up to about 8" diameter, but it is really depends on the how the log is loaded. If there is lot of compressive stress along the length of the log they can be problem. I really need to start carrying some small plastic wedges to deal with those logs as otherwise the saw kerf can close up.

Tipi Walter
02-11-2022, 14:56
The smaller of my Corona pruning saws weighs 179g/6.3oz. I used it to remove about a dozen small trees overhanging or partially obstructing a FS road this week, and it's enough for anything I'm likely to tackle on a trail.

I'm always doing reviews and tutorials that noone else will ever see...
https://i.imgur.com/wui4WkB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/b4CDRb3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rT39Bqr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/q0nsuT7.jpg

GREAT PICS OWEN! When new the Corona cuts thru wood like butter but after hard use the Kerf is lost and the blade must be replaced. Due to heavy cutting I have to get a new Corona 10 inch saw every year. Your pics remind me of my Before and After pics too.

I like the Corona brand cuz it's available locally plus the Silky is heavier in equivalent size.

Here's a nasty clump on Brush Mt trail and so I dump the pack and start cutting.

Voila an easy walk thru---and much safer for body and gear.

Here's a large blowdown on the Nutbuster trail.

Big stob fixed.

A tremendous mess on the Warrior's Passage trail.

I judge the difficulty of the blowdown by how many cuts required. This one had about 40 separate cuts and took 30 minutes.

Finally, a simple hemlock cut on Kirkland Creek trail.

peakbagger
02-11-2022, 15:00
Major trailwork :)

OwenM
02-11-2022, 22:40
What I like about the smaller saws is, well, how small they are.
A habit I've developed with the little Corona one is keeping it behind a water bottle in one of the side mesh pockets of my Exos. That way, I can just reach back, push the water bottle up and slide the saw out. I also do the same kind of thing with a BeFree filter and power bank for charging my phone at different times.
Since starting that, I'm a lot more likely to get the saw out than I would be if I had to drop my pack to get at it.
Now I stop for a minute to make a couple of cuts in places I'd previously have gone around or pushed through something. It usually doesn't take much to make things better, as just cutting a few limbs off a downed tree can leave it a lot easier to get by.
I hike in some places that receive little maintenance, so picking up trash and occasionally clearing some trail seems like an appropriate way to show appreciation for having free access to them.

Tipi Walter
02-12-2022, 11:26
As I hike with my pack I keep my Corona folding saw inside my t-shirt next to my chest for quick access---and it's always inside a long bread bag to avoid exposed teeth. It stays below the sternum strap too and the hipbelt keeps it from dropping out. This way I can saw with the pack still on (it sucks tho cuz my pack is heavy)---or use the blowdown for a good excuse to dump the pack and take a mini reststop---workstop.

BradMT
02-12-2022, 12:04
The Opinel pruning saw was mentioned by another poster earlier. It's what I've used for the last 6 years. Compact and light, while still being a "real" saw.

Venchka
02-15-2022, 23:01
Which Corona folding saw hits the Sweet Spot for backpacking?
A Google search returns a lot of saws.
Thanks for any help!
Wayne

OwenM
02-15-2022, 23:36
Don't know about sweet spot, but the little one I have that's 6.3oz is the "Corona Professional RS 7041":
https://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/rs-7041-razor-tooth-folding-saw-7-in.html

The site shows full retail, but they're $21.99 on Amazon, and was about the same at a local hardware store when I bought mine.

Venchka
02-15-2022, 23:46
Owen,
Thank you.
I will hit Tractor Supply, etc. and hopefully find one!
Wayne

OwenM
04-28-2022, 21:42
When new the Corona cuts thru wood like butter but after hard use the Kerf is lost and the blade must be replaced. Due to heavy cutting I have to get a new Corona 10 inch saw every year.
Mine is probably well past the point of needing replacement, though it is still getting the job done after what I think of as a tremendous amount of use(it's seen a lot of use cutting down and sectioning trees on my lot at home, too).
It was frustratingly slow, and kept binding and sticking on its most recent use, which was a series of small jobs like this, and made me tbink of tbis post.
Time for a new blade...

StillMoving
07-05-2023, 14:13
I have a Silky that I can't find...think the blade is about 10-12". Great saw and I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them.
Frustrated, I just bought this one for $20.00 at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-Power-Tooth-Softgrip-10-in-Blade-Pruning-Saw-390470-1002/204667606
Seems to work as good as the Silky...not sure how long it'll last but it seems pretty stout.
It appears they last about 6 years.

Was using it in April 2023 and noticed cracks on both sides of the handle around the bolt.

I seriously got my mileage out of it and bought another one. They don't seem to carry them in the store now...had to order it. Maybe they're selling existing stock and will quit carrying it. Used it for the first time today.

Never did find that Silky.