PDA

View Full Version : Visa advice required for an Englishman hoping to hike the AT

originalsmoothie
05-13-2017, 01:58
Hi there,

I am from England, living on the road in a motorhome, or on the water in a boat, all in Europe with my Californian wife. I'm looking at the logistics involved in coming to the USA to hike the AT. I can stay for 3 months without a visa but, as far as I can work out, if I want to stay longer, I have to apply for a ten year visa which allows me to stay for a maximum of six months in any one year. There don't appear to be any other options. Being married to an American doesn't appear to help, as she no longer has an address in the USA so can't sponsor me for citizenship, or even for an extended stay.

Are any of you fine people from the UK? If so, what did you do to obtain a visa?

4eyedbuzzard
05-13-2017, 09:11
You should probably post this question over on expertlaw.com in their immigration forums.

DuneElliot
05-13-2017, 09:17
You are correct. My step-mom went through this a couple of years ago. The application isn't tough, nor problematic. She is married to my dad who is also an American.

There is an interview and a paper application and I think you have to provide a couple of documents pertaining to residing in England, but it didn't sound like it was a huge problem at all. I would contact the US embassy in London and talk to them.

GoldenBear
05-13-2017, 12:53
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/VisaFlyer_B1B2%20March%202015.pdf

You'll pay $160 fee for an interview, at which you'll have to prove that, during & after your six-month visits to the U.S., you will (1) not be engaging in any type of paid employment, (2) have sufficient funds to support yourself, and (3) leave the U.S. at the end of your visit. Proving the latter is done by showing you have major connections back home; the fact that you have a wife back in the U.K. will help.

One thing to note: do not over-stay your visit by even ONE DAY, or you will have extreme difficulty in EVER returning to the U.S.

English Stu
05-13-2017, 13:49
I have used been to the US several times and used the non-immigrant visa for a temporary stay. Others from the EU and elsewhere I have met, who had gone the the longer visa process, were not phased by it. It is just bind having to travel to the US Consulate for a short interview. Well worth it you will enjoy the AT

Bansko
05-13-2017, 16:13
Unless you have a criminal record and jail time, or have shown terrorist leanings, it should be fairly straightforward for you. My wife is a US consular officer, and an extended visa for a UK citizen is pretty routine. Sure, you'll be out $160, but just consider it part of the cost of a great experience.

BTW, I was hiking along a remote section of Hadrian's wall a few weeks ago while on vacation and it got me thinking that I'd love to do some backpacking in the UK some day.

Runner2017
05-14-2017, 09:58
you can always extend your three month stay later at any immigration office in any state later.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

BlackCloud
05-15-2017, 09:40
I don't think so. The Visa Waiver Program is 6 months at a time and that's it. Want to stay longer & you must get a visa. If you apply for a visa after you get here I believe you have to leave and come back in. If you exceed your stay by even a day, you will forever be barred from the Visa Waiver Program & will always have to get a visa to come to the U.S. $160 is like the cost of an extra, oversized piece of checked luggage!

Bananajoe
05-15-2017, 11:29
As a swissman i had to do all the interview and such stuff. +paid 160$
Start online with a formular where you write down some information about yourself. Pay the money and make an appointment. Really easy. I was wooried about the interview. But it was so easy, i think they are happy about people like us. Four days later i had my visa and was super glad.
I hope i could help you a bit. I dont think, there's a big difference between Switzerland and GB

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

FishyOne
05-15-2017, 12:44
Try contacting Keith Foskett ... http://www.keithfoskett.com/contact-us/

He completed AT through hike few years back.