PDA

View Full Version : Who actually uses trekking pole wrist straps???

saltysack
05-13-2017, 09:07
About half the time I find my self not using the straps on my poles...I'm debating removing them....thoughts? Not that it matters but they're BD alpine carbon corks...notice GG doesn't even have straps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 09:10
About half the time I find my self not using the straps on my poles...I'm debating removing them....thoughts? Not that it matters but they're BD alpine carbon corks...notice GG doesn't even have straps...

pretty much never saw the point of poles until someone showed me how to use the straps correctly. given a choice between strapless poles and no poles i'd go with no poles

saltysack
05-13-2017, 09:16
pretty much never saw the point of poles until someone showed me how to use the straps correctly. given a choice between strapless poles and no poles i'd go with no poles

Well I'd pic my poles over almost anything as they save my big arse on every trip...besides supporting my shelter....I know how to use them properly.....I think???

Kaptainkriz
05-13-2017, 09:18
this ^^ i only guide the poles with two fingers very lightly. The strap is a functional part of the pole. There are a number of threads on this, and several camps of opinion. YMMV.

DuneElliot
05-13-2017, 09:18
I removed mine. I shift my poles from hand to hand all the time and the straps were in the way. I don't miss them. There was a minor injury incident where if I had been using the straps I probably would have got hurt much worse. I like to have my hands free to drop the poles immediately, if necessary.

Sandy of PA
05-13-2017, 09:22
I remove the straps, I use the poles all wrong, but the right way rubs me raw when the straps get wet. I just grip the poles lightly in my fingers and use them mostly for balance not weight bearing. The other uses are knocking down spider webs and blocking loose unknown temperament dogs.

Furlough
05-13-2017, 09:37
Had to think this one through a bit for usage over time. I honestly think I may be unscientifically in the 50-50 camp. The straps do not bother me, probably have helped along with poles in saving my carcass more than a few times. I never use the straps for water crossings. On those rare occasions when there is an extended flatish cruise control section the poles are carried. At the beginning of the ups and downs after a cruise control section - initially no straps, but I transition to straps as I get serious about navigating the ups and downs. And from time to time I hang the poles by the straps.

swisscross
05-13-2017, 09:37
I use the straps as intended about 80 percent of the time. I don't use them when the terrain is sketchy or water crossings.
That said after I pull out of the straps for such conditions I am in no rush to start using them again.
They don't bother me flopping around and the fact I use them often I see no reason tocut them off.

ScareBear
05-13-2017, 09:41
I don't use the straps, ever. There was a very lengthy prior thread about this. My opinion comes from having skied for more than 40 years all over the world, in some very gnarly shtuff on some very steep slopes. No straps for me. It's a safety thing. YMMV.

evyck da fleet
05-13-2017, 09:42
It depends on the terrain. If it's rocky and rooty, I'm not using the straps so I have the ability to easily let go of the pole if it gets snagged.

Keeping the straps also allowed me to retrieve a pole by slipping the other pole's tip through the strap after taking a fall and having a pole go a few feet out of my reach down a cliff on the side of the trail.

TexasBob
05-13-2017, 09:45
I have a feeling this is going to be like the thread on poles with antishock - some think your crazy to use them and some think your crazy not use them. I use the straps. I agree that unless you use the straps the correctly you are missing most of the benefit of using the poles.

bigcranky
05-13-2017, 09:48

Yeah, +1 on this. The straps take all the weight and I don't have to grip the poles at all. I also use the BD Alpine Cork.

I did try to go strapless on a weekend hike once and hated it.

Doc
05-13-2017, 09:48
Never use the straps while hiking but they are great for hanging on a branch stub while in camp. Too many times I have had a pole hang up on something as I was hiking or falling so they present too much of a risk for wrist injuries for me.

Puddlefish
05-13-2017, 09:54
I remove the straps, I use the poles all wrong, but the right way rubs me raw when the straps get wet. I just grip the poles lightly in my fingers and use them mostly for balance not weight bearing. The other uses are knocking down spider webs and blocking loose unknown temperament dogs.
I "upgraded" to a pair of Leki poles, and ended up with the same problem. I felt like the wet straps were going to saw my wrist in half. Never had the problem with my old cheapo pole straps. I'm thinking about sewing in some sort of padding/stiffener. If that doesn't work, I'll just remove the straps as well.

rhjanes
05-13-2017, 10:12
removing double post

rhjanes
05-13-2017, 10:14
I used to use the straps. I went with Gossamer Gear carbon, strapless, poles. They come with a very small loop. I tied some reflective twine to those for two reasons. 1: the loop I tied on, is large enough to slip over my wrist. I try and do this on water crossings. I use the poles for my third balance point, but WHEN I fall in, it is good they are attached to me! I've watched as a pole headed down stream without me (I didn't use the strap), thankfully saved by my hiking partner! 2: I use them to put my hammock tarp in porch mode (one side raised up). The pole handles are down in the dirt and being reflective, when I get up at night, I can see them.

So are the loops used like traditional pole straps? Nope.

lonehiker
05-13-2017, 11:07
Most people I have observed use the straps incorrectly so they would probably be best suited to simply not use them. If used properly I doubt that the straps have contributed to many wrist injuries. Improper usage may be a different story.

Ethesis
05-13-2017, 11:37
I have a feeling this is going to be like the thread on poles with antishock - some think your crazy to use them and some think your crazy not use them. I use the straps. I agree that unless you use the straps the correctly you are missing most of the benefit of using the poles.

exactly.

I find that bu switching up how I use my poles I hike better than if I use them the same way all the time.

Removing the straps would change that for me.

jefals
05-13-2017, 12:15
at first I thought they were a nuisance, but after dropping them a number of times, now I always use them. I'm not sure what it means to "use them right". You just slip your hand thru it and grab the pole, right? On my Lekis, there is a pole with the strap attached correctly for the left hand, and b he other for the right. so, as long as you have the correct pole in the correct habd, and you slip your hand thru the strap, I think that's about all there is to "using the strap correctly". Right?

TexasBob
05-13-2017, 13:07
at first I thought they were a nuisance, but after dropping them a number of times, now I always use them. I'm not sure what it means to "use them right". You just slip your hand thru it and grab the pole, right? On my Lekis, there is a pole with the strap attached correctly for the left hand, and b he other for the right. so, as long as you have the correct pole in the correct habd, and you slip your hand thru the strap, I think that's about all there is to "using the strap correctly". Right?

The wrong way (good demo at 2:00) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IszfjOC6KLI

The right way --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQFPL2lpMY

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 13:11
Personally I find the straps to be absolutely essential. I use them differently than most people as I leave them fairly loose, put my whole hand through and rest the strap on my wrist just behind the joint. From here I barely hold the poles themselves and let all weight get transferred from the strap to my forearm. It works great for me and there is zero chance of my thumb getting caught up in the strap the way some others complain about.

jefals
05-13-2017, 13:31
The wrong way (good demo at 2:00) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IszfjOC6KLI

Hey, this is "kinda" great! I never knew I could adjust my straps!
However....
These two vids are contradictory, when describing how to put your hand thru the strap.
If you want to spend the time, compare video 1, about 1:59 into it with video 2, about 1:14...
I've always used the method shown in video 1...

lonehiker
05-13-2017, 13:40
However....
These two vids are contradictory, when describing how to put your hand thru the strap.
If you want to spend the time, compare video 1, about 1:59 into it with video 2, about 1:14...

Video one is incorrect.

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 14:00

The video you claim as the "right" way is the one of the methods that results in people to spraining or dislocating their thumbs when they fall. I'd never recommend it.

jefals
05-13-2017, 14:01
However....

Video one is incorrect.
Ok. But how do I know you're right about that? ?

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 14:03
Ok. But how do I know you're right about that? ?
Because it's the internet, therefore everyone's correct. :D

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 14:09
Most people I have observed use the straps incorrectly so they would probably be best suited to simply not use them. If used properly I doubt that the straps have contributed to many wrist injuries. Improper usage may be a different story.
yup. ive gotten the polls snagged and/or fallen over while using them with straps countless times. never came anywhere near hurting my wrist. now whacking myself or others with a flailing poll... but not using the straps isnt going to really stop that.

just let go of the grip and you have a very loose and flexible thing dangling from your wrist. dont really see the potential for much injury.

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 14:13
Video one is incorrect.
i actually find it sort of odd that someone is instructing someone to use the straps that way on a video that looks so "correct" and official.

definitely the wrong way.

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 14:14
The video you claim as the "right" way is the one of the methods that results in people to spraining or dislocating their thumbs when they fall. I'd never recommend it.
i fall all the time. comically. never hurt my wrists or hands at all. frankly dont see how its possible unless the straps are too tight

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 14:19
i fall all the time. comically. never hurt my wrists or hands at all. frankly dont see how its possible unless the straps are too tight

People do end up injuring themselves like this, I think your last comment explains it well.

TexasBob
05-13-2017, 14:25

Go to 2:40 on this video and he demonstrates why this method is safer ----- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEbEzK2Ez0&list=PLa1HDk3xfWN5Dl7N98sqBA-XeyrPzn806&index=40
When you let go of the handle the pole falls away from your hand instead of trapping your hand.

However....

Here is a video from Leki, they should know ---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaILfy0MsEI

BuckeyeBill
05-13-2017, 14:46
U use a set of LEKI Corklite Poles with straps. I have used a walking staff in the past, but found myself switching hands too many times. Here is what LEKI says about adjustment and strap use (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0kdlY4uSS8).

BuckeyeBill
05-13-2017, 14:46
U=I sorry..........

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 15:52
People do end up injuring themselves like this, I think your last comment explains it well.

so the options are straps that are dangerously too tight or removing them?

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 15:53
When you let go of the handle the pole falls away from your hand instead of trapping your hand.

exactly. i cant imagine how tight you have to make the strap for this to not happen

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 16:15
so the options are straps that are dangerously too tight or removing them?

Those are your words not mine and I think we both know that statement is silly.

I was responding to someone who posted two videos and claimed one was the right way and one was the wrong way.

The video they claimed to be the wrong way is the one that is less likely to result in injury, but if done incorrectly is inefficient.

The video they claimed to be the right way is efficient, but if done incorrectly is more likely to result in injury.

Both methods can be employed safely and effectively.

Odd Man Out
05-13-2017, 16:20
When I got my first poles, my plan was to not use the straps. On that hike I hiked the first day without then. The second day I thought I would try them. Decoded I liked that much better

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 16:22

I was responding to someone who posted two videos and claimed one was the right way and one was the wrong way.

The video they claimed to be the wrong way is the one that is less likely to result in injury, but if done incorrectly is inefficient.

The video they claimed to be the right way is efficient, but if done incorrectly is more likely to result in injury.

i guess i dont see the point in a method that is not efficient but safer when it is so clearly easy to do the most efficient approach safely.

so why do you do it the less efficient way? you dont trust yourself to not make the straps too tight?

cmoulder
05-13-2017, 16:33
I don't use wrist straps for 3 season...

I'm in good company. :D

https://annoyzview.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/moses-leading-israelites-out-of-egypt.jpg

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 16:38
i guess i dont see the point in a method that is not efficient but safer when it is so clearly easy to do the most efficient approach safely.

so why do you do it the less efficient way? you dont trust yourself to not make the straps too tight?

Because I find the way I use them (as described in an earlier post) perfectly efficient and more comfortable.
Plus I recently discovered that it inexplicably seems to annoy snarky people from New Jersey, which I'm finding to be an added benefit.

cmoulder
05-13-2017, 16:50
Because I find the way I use them (as described in an earlier post) perfectly efficient and more comfortable.
That and because it inexplicably seems to annoy snarky people from New Jersey, which I'm finding to be an added benefit.

One problem with the "CORRECT" way is that it can restrict blood circulation in the hand and it can depress nerves in the 'heel' (ulnar metacarpal area) and at the base of the thumb. At least it does so for me after a few days.

Also, in very cold winter conditions when wearing over mittens it is a royal flying purple pain in the ass to get hands into and out of the straps, and I find that my hands are warmer (see above re blood circulation) when using the 'hanging from the wrist' technique.

The correct answer is: Know and understand all the options, experiment for yourself, and figure out what works for you.

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 16:55
One problem with the "CORRECT" way is that it can restrict blood circulation in the hand and it can depress nerves in the 'heel' (ulnar metacarpal area) and at the base of the thumb. At least it does so for me after a few days.

Also, in very cold winter conditions when wearing over mittens it is a royal flying purple pain in the ass to get hands into and out of the straps, and I find that my hands are warmer (see above re blood circulation) when using the 'hanging from the wrist' technique.

The correct answer is: Know and understand all the options, experiment for yourself, and figure out what works for you.

Just so you know, when I got to the "royal flying purple pain in the ass" comment, my internal monologue changed from it's normal state to your voice clearly reading it outloud. :D

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 18:46
Plus I recently discovered that it inexplicably seems to annoy snarky people from New Jersey, which I'm finding to be an added benefit.

for the record, you called your approach less efficient in an earlier post. is it less efficient or perfectly efficient?

i went to college in CT, so i guess i will forever be amazed by the way you folks do certain things.

Franco
05-13-2017, 19:36
The way Leki shows how to use the straps is how I use it. Nothing new there, I saw that 50 years ago with cross country skiing.
If there was a problem with that I am pretty sure that guys that ski for 50 km at speed would use them like that.
you should be able to see that if you trip over you open your hand and it will slide off the strap.
As mentioned the first video has that the wrong way.
Why WRONG ?
Because it is dangerous that way.
BTW, most things can be right or wrong depending on exactly how they are done...

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 19:37
The way Leki shows how to use the straps is how I use it. Nothing new there, I saw that 50 years ago with cross country skiing.
If there was a problem with that I am pretty sure that guys that ski for 50 km at speed would use them like that.
you should be able to see that if you trip over you open your hand and it will slide off the strap.
Why WRONG ?
BTW, most things can be right or wrong depending on exactly how they are done...

i dunno... some guy from CT swears his way is much safer...

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 20:44
for the record, you called your approach less efficient in an earlier post. is it less efficient or perfectly efficient?

i went to college in CT, so i guess i will forever be amazed by the way you folks do certain things.

You may want to go back and re-read my post, you missed the part where I explicitly stated it is only less efficient if done incorrectly.

Then again you went to college in CT, so I'll forgive the lack of reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

[Edit to add: I hope that at this point neither of us are taking this seriously, because this is a really stupid thing to spend this much energy debating ;)]

tdoczi
05-13-2017, 21:14
it is only less efficient if done incorrectly.

which is what you're doing...
Then again you went to college in CT, so I'll forgive the lack of reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

this is a really stupid thing to spend this much energy debating ;)]

you mean trekking poll straps or hiking in general?

BuckeyeBill
05-13-2017, 21:19

https://annoyzview.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/moses-leading-israelites-out-of-egypt.jpg

This is good. but I bet when your pole strikes a rock, water won't come out.:D

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 21:26
you mean trekking poll straps or hiking in general?

Both I suppose. :banana

cmoulder
05-13-2017, 21:43
Life is good if these are our worries. :sun

saltysack
05-13-2017, 22:08
Sorry I asked!

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2017, 22:16
Sorry I asked!

Come on now, there are at least four or five productive posts in this mess.

In my defense I've been stuck inside a small house watching a 2 year old since the rain started this morning.

Greenlight
05-13-2017, 22:31
Yea and amen. Even when I'm flatlanding it, I normally throw poles. Once you get into a rhythm, you don't even think about it anymore. I found some really light carbon Foxelli's (Similar to Leki but less than half the price). Mine have saved me from some falls, too.

Well I'd pic my poles over almost anything as they save my big arse on every trip...besides supporting my shelter....I know how to use them properly.....I think???

macdiver
05-13-2017, 22:31
Poles can be used to power you forward with your upper body strength and takes stress off of your legs. If you haven't tried it do so and your shoulders and pecs will be sore the next day showing how much work they are doing to propel you forward. Get the rhythm going and you can really move fast. The straps take the weight and puts it on your arms without having to grip the poles with your hands. You have to have good straps that are wide around the wrist where they contact the wrist - like the ones in the video above - and tapered to fit into the palm as your hand goes up the loop from the bottom. Look at how she put her hand through the bottom of the strap. On my Lumi poles the left and right were not marked but I figured it out and marked them myself.

saltysack
05-13-2017, 22:33
Come on now, there are at least four or five productive posts in this mess.

In my defense I've been stuck inside a small house watching a 2 year old since the rain started this morning.

[emoji51]I feel your pain...I've been stuck at the skate park watching my 11 yr old whine like his mom!

hikermiker
05-14-2017, 07:18
When out hiking all day I will use the straps for a change of "pace". I do also use them when scrambling to give me a free hand or two. When going along a flat, easy section I often just hold both poles in one hand.

Traveler
05-14-2017, 08:02
I use the straps as a matter of routine, with several thousands of miles, countless rock climbs, a few "stuck" poles, and one or two falls later, I have not found straps to be any more or less dangerous than not using poles. I had a chafing issue with straps years ago but solved that using paddle gloves that protect my hands with the added benefit of providing some protection when scrambling over rock.

Claiming straps are a safety hazard is a bit of hyperbole, but if one is not using them properly I can see where the opinion may be generated from. I find straps handy for a number of reasons, from more easily picking up poles that I drop to allowing a very subtle grip on the poles when making serious mileage to boost my pace a bit.

Bottom line is, if you like to use them do, if you don't, don't.

Furlough
05-14-2017, 08:16
[QUOTE=saltysack;2149874]Sorry I asked!
Yes, really. Next question you should ask is - to double tie shoe laces or not? I wonder how many posts/pages that discussion would garner.
Furlough

Sarcasm the elf
05-14-2017, 08:21
Yes, really. Next question you should ask is - to double tie shoe laces or not? I wonder how many posts/pages that discussion would garner.
Furlough

Do you remember the great "how do I dispose of my coffee grounds?" debacle a few years ago?

Time Zone
05-14-2017, 09:24
Clearly, someone needs to design a "Grip Your Own Grip" bumper sticker.

TexasBob
05-14-2017, 10:12
Sorry I asked! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not your fault this discussion devolved into an argument. Kind of like watching two cats hiss and spit at each other.

Dogwood
05-14-2017, 10:23
Why WRONG ?

Thanks Franco.

SkeeterPee
05-14-2017, 10:31

I'm sure either method could result in injury given the right cirmucmstances, but I'll go with how the experts at Leki say to use the straps. And the only time I have hurt my thumb was falling with them on the way you say is correct. It went numb for 30 mins that time. the poles have always fallen away when held the way Leki recommends. How do you do the Leki method incorrectly and where is your evidence that it more likely to result in injury?

egilbe
05-14-2017, 10:34
So...to recap...up through the bottom of the strap is wrong, or correct. Down through the top with your thumb gripping the strap, is either wrong or correct. Using poles straps at all is either wrong, or correct. Did I pretty much cover it all?

Venchka
05-14-2017, 10:43
Correct. Or incorrect. It depends.
Wayne

SkeeterPee
05-14-2017, 10:45
People do end up injuring themselves like this, I think your last comment explains it well.I'm curious if have you actually injured yourself with the strap in either position? I have injured myself using your method. And I do not think it ithe strap that injures your thumb, it is that the pole does not fall out below your hand as it does in the Leki method. So you land with pole and strap and it the pole that strains your thumb. I was luck and my thumb went numb for 30 minutes and was sore for a week or two. It can cause a lot more damage than that even requiring surgery.

jefals
05-14-2017, 11:28
Furlough
Is there a youtube out there, showing the most safe, efficient manner for unrolling toilet paper?
Top? Bottom? Should you be gripping your trekking pole in one hand whilst unrolling with the other? :D

tdoczi
05-14-2017, 11:39
I'm sure either method could result in injury given the right cirmucmstances, but I'll go with how the experts at Leki say to use the straps. And the only time I have hurt my thumb was falling with them on the way you say is correct. It went numb for 30 mins that time. the poles have always fallen away when held the way Leki recommends. How do you do the Leki method incorrectly and where is your evidence that it more likely to result in injury?

Hes from CT

egilbe
05-14-2017, 13:13
Is there a youtube out there, showing the most safe, efficient manner for unrolling toilet paper?
Top? Bottom? Should you be gripping your trekking pole in one hand whilst unrolling with the other? :D

From the top. Anyone who puts rolls of toilet paper to unroll from the botton deserves to be feasted on by black flies.

devoidapop
05-14-2017, 16:26
I remember the day, February 17, 2008, I learned that I was peeling bananas from the wrong end. It was a life changing moment.

tflaris
05-14-2017, 17:58
I love my poles and use the straps but it looks like I've been doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

egilbe
05-14-2017, 18:04
I love my poles and use the straps but it looks like I've been doing it wrong.

Or you may have been doing right

tflaris
05-14-2017, 18:18
Or you may have been doing right

According to the experts I'm most likely to break my thumb

tdoczi
05-14-2017, 22:42
According to the experts I'm most likely to break my thumb

so that mean you're doing... right?

in all seriousness, if the people who design build and sell these things tell you how they're supposed to be used... i dont know, i'm a natural skeptic but this is one case i'd be inclined to take their word for it.

then again i'm not from CT.

BuckeyeBill
05-15-2017, 10:40
It doesn't matter where you are from, following manufacture's directions can't be too wrong. It's kind of like down quilt/sleeping bag storage. Leave it in a small stuff sack and you will have problems.

BuckeyeBill
05-15-2017, 10:40
of course men are known for not reading the directions.

tflaris
05-15-2017, 11:04
The strap annoys me if I follow the manufacturer's instructions. I'm an Inside Journeyman Wireman and we as a trade are notorious for not reading directions.

Bansko
05-16-2017, 10:58
What the heck is an inside journeyman wireman?

Toofar
05-16-2017, 20:38
I love using the straps. When I'm going uphill I can position my wrists in the straps and have a firm push with my stride.

tflaris
05-17-2017, 09:27
What the heck is an inside journeyman wireman?

http://www.nejatc.org/acrobat_docs/inside_wireman_job_descript.pdf

BobTheBuilder
05-17-2017, 09:39
I've been using my Lekis for years, and I have to admit, I was relieved to watch the videos and learn that I had been using them correctly.

scope
05-18-2017, 09:35

Yeah, especially when you need to keep your other hand free for carrying stuff. :)

...The correct answer is: Know and understand all the options, experiment for yourself, and figure out what works for you.

Personally, I do it wrong on purpose. I go in through the top as it allows height adjustment on the fly. Like the guy in this video, about the 9:50 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jH9e4QGUP4

You know, some people just don't fall very well. So for some, the safety of the proper method might be a good best practice. Doing it "right" is really somebody else's decision based on their criteria (even if its good criteria). Doing what's right for you is always better, but do yourself a favor and find out why the straps are there in the first place. And learn from discussions like this one and why the preponderance of hikers do use the straps. Cutting off straps on a nice pair of poles? Yikes! Carrying poles? Yikes!

cmoulder
05-18-2017, 12:05
Well according to PacerPoles (and ardent PP aficionados) we're all doing it wrong. So there's that.

I personally am not familiar with the constant stumbling and falling that many report. Did 31 miles the last couple of days and slipped 1 time in mud and caught myself.

I make my own poles and don't put the straps on in the first place so there's nothing to cut. And I carry them in one hand on the flats.

I can honestly say I have nothing to learn at this point. My preferences have been carefully developed and refined and I couldn't care less what "the herd" thinks. ;)

Franco
05-18-2017, 20:59
"Well according to PacerPoles (and ardent PP aficionados) we're all doing it wrong. So there's that."

That is because the PP handles are of a very different design.
note that they are designed to keep the wrist straight , something that you can't do with the standard handles if you wrap the hand around them but you can using the straps as suggested in this thread and by pole manufacturers.
(sorry about the bold , I could not get rid of it...)

shelb
05-18-2017, 23:01
This would be a personal choice, as others have noted.

I like to balance out between using the poles with a grip or using them by pushing down with my wrists...

cmoulder
05-18-2017, 23:10
Yes, I know the PP handles are different.

I use the grips that GG use on their LightTrek poles and I make a little 'shelf' (by removing a bit of material with a little Dremel drum sander) for the index finger which has the effect of reducing the circumference of the pole, thereby letting the thumb 'lock down' the index finger. What this means is that I don't need my hand fully wrapped around in a death grip... which results (for me) in a relaxed hand position that causes none of the problems that PP is alleged to cure.

Therefore I have never suffered wrist or hand fatigue and don't foresee enough benefits to justify carrying poles that weigh more than twice as much — 508g/pair (PP's lightest) compared to my MYOG poles at 243g/pair.

rocketsocks
05-19-2017, 07:25
Not only do I use straps, but one broke so I repaired the fowl that held it in place. I don't always use the straps, sometimes I find them a pain in the arse, but in an area where loosing an unretreavable pole would really tick me off (i.e. like down a rock crack over over a cliff) I use em, also when I feel fatigued or hands are schwetty I find they help a lot.

rocketsocks
05-19-2017, 07:27
Indecently...I don't recall ever putting a strap around my wrist, just four fingers in.

cmoulder
05-19-2017, 08:00
Indecently...I don't recall ever putting a strap around my wrist, just four fingers in.

Then you're doing it INCORRECTLY!!! :D

According to "experts"

devoidapop
05-19-2017, 08:10
Anybody use cross country poles for hiking? Do you like that style of grip? And why?

MikekiM
05-19-2017, 08:42
Interesting question and of course every answer is steeped in personal preference with only a sprinkling of scientific data.

I hated poles until I tried them.. now I always have them with me. On flat terrain I often shoulder them or carry two in one hand, unless I am really steaming along in which case they absolutely help me move faster. Same for water crossings.. unstrapped.

I would say I use the straps 90% of the time. The BD Distance Z poles have a nice thin material, broad strap. I've never had a problem with the straps. I do think that getting them properly adjusted makes a huge difference.

tdoczi
05-19-2017, 10:47
Then you're doing it INCORRECTLY!!! :D

According to "experts"

yes, the experts who actually designed and sold the product.

imagine this conversation-

guy who designed leki polls- "here, i got this great new product for you. let me show you how it works."
hiker- "no no no i dont like that, you're doing it wrong. i'm gonna do it my way. its better."

cmoulder
05-19-2017, 13:17
yes, the experts who actually designed and sold the product.

imagine this conversation-

guy who designed leki polls- "here, i got this great new product for you. let me show you how it works."
hiker- "no no no i dont like that, you're doing it wrong. i'm gonna do it my way. its better."

Hey, nice job setting up and knocking down your own straw man there! :)

"hiker" (I guess that'd be me) NEVER said they (nor ANYONE ELSE) are doing it wrong, and NEVER said my way is better. I did say it's better FOR ME.

The only thing I said was KNOW and UNDERSTAND all the options, and EXPERIMENT and see what works best FOR YOU.

Clearly, you choose to stick with "conventional wisdom" and that strategy seems to work for you. Great!

tdoczi
05-19-2017, 23:29
Clearly, you choose to stick with "conventional wisdom" and that strategy seems to work for you. Great!

nope, im actually rather unconventional, but that doesnt extend to my deciding that something works better (even FOR ME) when i use it in a way that the designers of it didnt intend.

rocketsocks
05-20-2017, 01:14
Silly puddy and WD-40

rocketsocks
05-20-2017, 01:20
The engineers should've checked with me first, I could've told em "metatarsal management strap" was a much better descriptive term than 'wrist strap"...I suppose the marketeers found it a bit clumsy though, big money wins again!

cmoulder
05-20-2017, 06:20
nope, im actually rather unconventional, but that doesnt extend to my deciding that something works better (even FOR ME) when i use it in a way that the designers of it didnt intend.

Well despite your rather strident objections, I'll continue making and using my own poles as I please, experimenting as I please with various grip modifications.

Innovation does not come from people with your mindset.

cmoulder
05-20-2017, 06:21
The engineers should've checked with me first, I could've told em "metatarsal management strap" was a much better descriptive term than 'wrist strap"...I suppose the marketeers found it a bit clumsy though, big money wins again!

That would be problematic since metatarsals are in your feet. :-?

rocketsocks
05-20-2017, 09:16
That would be problematic since metatarsals are in your feet. :-?im ibedextrose

rocketsocks
05-20-2017, 09:19
Innovation does not come from people with your mindset.exactly! We all might still be clunckin' along with square wheels were that the case.

rocketsocks
05-20-2017, 09:21
Silly puddy and WD-40...post toasties were first going to be a new type nylon I think.

cmoulder
05-21-2017, 11:13
Good discussion HERE (http://andrewskurka.com/2015/black-diamond-alpine-carbon-cork-trekking-poles-review/), with good info and observations in the comments/answers.

Not because I am a Skurka fanboy (although I am:)), but because I happen to concur with his conclusions after independently arriving at the same ones.

And I started making my own poles because I couldn't find any on the market that met my specific wants, which were 2-section CF with flicklocks.

saltysack
05-22-2017, 17:49
Good discussion HERE (http://andrewskurka.com/2015/black-diamond-alpine-carbon-cork-trekking-poles-review/), with good info and observations in the comments/answers.

Not because I am a Skurka fanboy (although I am:)), but because I happen to concur with his conclusions after independently arriving at the same ones.

And I started making my own poles because I couldn't find any on the market that met my specific wants, which were 2-section CF with flicklocks.

Agree the BD ACC have been great and very durable...I'm about 215lbs and have put my full weight on them and still haven't broke one....can't say the same for the z pole...broke first trip....no pun intended! I've prob got about 1,000 miles on them and still on original tips....

Wise Old Owl
05-22-2017, 20:48
nope remove them and replace with zip ties to hang off the back of your pack... (UL)

poolskaterx
05-23-2017, 20:15
I use straps; I really liked them on my Leki poles however the straps are not quite as usable on my LT4's. I sometimes hold on to the top of my poles and the attachment screw that holds the straps on the LT4's just is not very comfortable :(

Sure like the weight savings though:)

LazyLightning
05-24-2017, 05:09
I saw how most people use their poles but that wasn't as comfortable for me. I heard of people "palming" their poles so I tried that and I loved it. I don't know if their is a correct way to palm them or if that's considered wrong all together but I just slip my hands up threw the straps so their loose, I like the straps cause I wont accidently let go and their loose enough where they don't seem to be an injury hazard. I extend them to about my hip bone and that seems to be a good height for palming up or down hill. I do realize that this is probably not "the right way" but it's what's most comfortable and what I found to work best for me... does anyone else use them in a similar way?

devoidapop
05-24-2017, 06:47
I saw how most people use their poles but that wasn't as comfortable for me. I heard of people "palming" their poles so I tried that and I loved it. I don't know if their is a correct way to palm them or if that's considered wrong all together but I just slip my hands up threw the straps so their loose, I like the straps cause I wont accidently let go and their loose enough where they don't seem to be an injury hazard. I extend them to about my hip bone and that seems to be a good height for palming up or down hill. I do realize that this is probably not "the right way" but it's what's most comfortable and what I found to work best for me... does anyone else use them in a similar way?

I do the same thing on steep downhills

Desertdave
05-29-2017, 01:48

Yep, palm em....

mallthus
05-29-2017, 15:05

Actually, having used poles for both trekking and skiing over the last 30 years, I can tell you that I've never had a thumb injury using them as described in the second video. I've actually used that second technique since seriously spraining my thumb using the 1st technique and only learned of the 2nd from the doctor who treated my thumb injury. In fact, my ski poles have a glove integration (with breakaway) that mimics the free thumb grip.

So, your experience may be different from mine, but I'm going to stick to keeping my thumb out of the loop.

Smithereens
05-31-2017, 02:19
im ibedextrose

?? That some sort of GMO sugar??

rocketsocks
05-31-2017, 11:45
?? That some sort of GMO sugar??Extractly...

MtDoraDave
06-03-2017, 07:47
After learning the "correct way" to use the straps, and putting hundreds of miles on poles this way, I can't imagine not using the straps.

99.9 percent of the time, I don't need the straps, but when I do eventually trip on a hidden root or rock, or when an ankle roll happens, having/using the straps allows me to plant the pole(s) with all of my suddenly shifting weight and not be limited by sweaty hand grip strength to keep me from actually going down.

The two different types of poles I've used haven't caused any chafing issues; the walmart poles with a simple web strap and the Cascade mountain tech with the wider softer surface. I have noticed that wearing gloves was more comfortable that not wearing gloves, so the chances are that if I start the day wearing gloves (cold weather) I'll probably keep them on all day, or at least until the lunch break if the day warms up considerably.

Perhaps I've been lucky or perhaps my reflexes are quick enough (or a combination of both), but when a pole has "hung up" or gotten snagged between roots or rocks, I've always been able to reverse the direction of the pole and free it without having to break stride... but this may just as much into the baskets vs no baskets discussion as it is the straps vs no straps discussion.

QiWiz
06-07-2017, 11:26
I particularly find straps helpful when I am taking lots of pictures (poles can dangle from wrists while I'm holding phone or camera for the shot) or when needing hands to scramble on rocky steep trails (poles can dangle from wrists while I'm scrambling). This mostly means I use poles with straps on longer trips out west. For local weekend trips I usually use GG poles with no straps and no problems.

tflaris
06-12-2017, 18:45
My left hand uses the strap correctly while my right hand protest conformity and does t use the strap at all.

It's been a strange 260 miles so far on our AT Section Hike.

I hope the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.