PDA

View Full Version : GoatBone Ultralight Pot Cozy

hipbone
05-13-2017, 23:57
I made a simple pot cozy for my TOAKS 550 Ultralight Pot (with no handles). The design uses minimal Reflectix tape which lightens the cozy a bit. This version of a pot cozy can be stored multiple ways in your pack because it breaks down flat.Final weight: 16.8 grams (0.6 oz)

video: https://youtu.be/bHgzqHreofI

TOAKS 550 Ultralight Pot: https://www.toaksoutdoor.com/collections/ultra-light-pot/products/pot-550-nh

theinfamousj
05-18-2017, 15:11
I really like that. Packing flat is a great bonus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

burger
05-18-2017, 16:24
If you're really concerned about shaving grams, pick up a single-thickness windshield screen (basically just like the reflectix you have except with just one layer of bubbles instead of 2). It works just fine and probably weights a decent amount less, relative to the double thickness stuff.

Odd Man Out
05-18-2017, 16:26
I do like that. However, I just store my pot in the cozy, so it it doesn't really take any space. Folding it up and putting it in the pot isn't really an advantage. Also I found that my first cozy made of reflectix seemed to collapse and loose insulation after just a few trips. I now use one made from the mylar coated foam from a car sun screen from the dollar store. It seems more durable. But it is true that taping the bottom piece to the cylinder on the side is a pain. Leaving them as two parts and using those tabs to hold the bottom in places is a nice trick. I will have to try that.

hipbone
05-18-2017, 22:02
I do like that. However, I just store my pot in the cozy, so it it doesn't really take any space. Folding it up and putting it in the pot isn't really an advantage. Also I found that my first cozy made of reflectix seemed to collapse and loose insulation after just a few trips. I now use one made from the mylar coated foam from a car sun screen from the dollar store. It seems more durable. But it is true that taping the bottom piece to the cylinder on the side is a pain. Leaving them as two parts and using those tabs to hold the bottom in places is a nice trick. I will have to try that.
I packed my other cook kit with the cozy on it. It just seemed so bulky. It was the biggest piece in my pack and I was always packing around it. I like the other style pot cozy a lot also but this one is a lot easier to make also. Just 1 piece of tape to stick :)