PDA

View Full Version : Lighting ?

Rolex
05-14-2017, 07:41
What is some of the latest recommendations for lights and lanterns for thru hiking and 3-5 day trips?
I do hike and setup at night or tear down in mornings occasionally.
I currently have the following but I know technology has moved up a bit in the time since I got these.

Diamond storm headlamp. Triple A

Petzl E-lite with the retractable string headband. 2032 battery

Luci 2.0 solar lantern

Kindle paperwhite for reading and iPhone 6+ for general stuff like photos,maps,in touch, etc. with a 2200 Mha USB battery backup.

I'd like to say I don't carry all at once but I find that I actually do most of the time. I'm one of those have a backup types.

Any other honorable mentions out there in "Gear Junkie World"?

Thanks,
Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swjohnsey
05-14-2017, 07:58
Petzl E-lite is all you need.

soumodeler
05-14-2017, 08:59
The new version of the e-lite. I like the wider band and waterproofing. Still same weight and cost.

saltysack
05-14-2017, 09:17
I've had about a dozen headlamps from all mfg...Zebra light H52 single AA is by far my favorite and the most durable light weight headlamp putting out 300lm if needed....I also carry a LRI photon as back up and also clip to my pup at night for night hiking...i night hike on every trip so I find this set up optimal for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
05-14-2017, 10:01
The only time I need to hike or do anything significant after dark is in the fall, so during the summer I just carry a $1 headlamp from Wallyworld and rarely use it.

DownEaster
05-14-2017, 16:58
My through-hiking light setup is this Bushnell Pro High Performance Rechargeable Headlamp (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-20221-Bushnell-Pro-High-Performance-Rechargeable-Headlamp-300-Lumens/49840414) (300 lumens), and my Android phone as backup light. The phone has a useful "karate chop" on-off light feature, slaving the camera LED to the motion sensors, so no fumbling with buttons or screen swipes. I've got a power bank to keep both the headlamp and phone charged.

That's it. I can read books on the phone, so no separate device is needed there. The headlamp has a bunch of brightness settings and can hang in my tent for general illumination, so no separate lantern. Both devices are USB rechargeable, so there aren't any other batteries to carry.

Keeping things simple is good. Having a backup is good. Multiple uses per item is very good.

swjohnsey
05-14-2017, 17:09
The new version of the e-lite. I like the wider band and waterproofing. Still same weight and cost.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't like the retractable stringy thing as much as the old one with case.

Leo L.
05-15-2017, 08:35
There are so many great headlamps out there.
While I'm proud of my strong and bright Petzl and always carry it, I rarely use it.
After some time into a hike I'm so used to the camp chores that I can do most without artifical light, and the headlamp is too bright for short things like a bathroom run.
So I usually have my headlamp and my phone tucked into the shoes aside my sleeping place, and mostly use the mild phones light instead of the bright headlamp.

plexusbritt
05-15-2017, 12:12
I have an Ozark Trail head lamp that is going strong 3 or 4 years later. I saw where Sintax77 put a balloon over a flashlight as a lantern and can now say that it works on the headlamp. Makes a pretty nice little lantern in my hammock.

HooKooDooKu
05-15-2017, 15:13
I haven't tried the Petzl e+LITE because it uses watch batteries, and I've read a few bad reviews on the controls when dirt or dust gets in them.

But I've loved my Black Diamond Ion.
It uses the more common size AAA batteries, is brighter, and last longer than the e+LITE.

Seems it's only negative is the e+LITE weight less (1.0 oz v. 1.9 oz, and that includes batteries). But with all the other pluses of the Ion, it's worth it to me for the slight weight penalty.