PDA

View Full Version : Tuscarora Trail

CassSarahSilvius
05-14-2017, 18:56
Anyone thru hiked or even section hiked the Tuscarora? It's in my backyard, literally, and my wife and I day hike it all the time. We would love to thru hike it when the lil one gets older. Its a beautiful trail, great shelters (especially Shockeys Knob) but its hard to find a complete trail map of. I know parts of it aren't maintained that well and information online seems pretty scarce. Rarely see other hikers but some of the views shouldn't be missed. Anyone tackle it?

globetruck
05-14-2017, 19:11
I'm with you - would like more info on this trail.

ChuckT
05-14-2017, 19:41
252 mile AT bypass route thru Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Some connection with Tuscarora University.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

CassSarahSilvius
05-14-2017, 19:41
My area is maintained great. There is a conservation club that really keeps after it. Trying to figure out how much road walking it entails. Through winchester into West Virginia there seems to be a lot
Not any info on shelters or water sources though.

RangerZ
05-14-2017, 21:20
Google it and there is plenty of info. The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club has guide books and maps.

I started at the north end in PA in August 2015, intending to stay out for nine days, 99 miles and make it to Maryland, 8.6-13.1 MPD. It was too ambitious for me at the time and I had too much pack weight. After three days I was a day behind my plan and only made 25.3 miles in four days. The second day I only made 5.9 miles, 0.6 MPH for a while over the rocks and hills. The TT thoroughly kicked my ass. YMMV.

My trail notes have comments like "steep and steeper", "very rocky", "rocks suck, like constantly walking on riprap, sprained ankle/broken leg threat constantly". It led me to take a NOLS Wilderness First Aid class. Also, realized that it may not be smart to solo hike some places.

I only saw two other hikers in the four days that I was on the trail. Water can be scarce up on the ridge lines, I filtered and treated out of a road puddle - leading to my rule: "Don't pass up current water for future water." The Irvine shelter was new at the time and was a very welcome sight. It has a front and side porch (with picnic table) and a good view over the Cumberland Valley. The caretaker had it stocked with gallon bottles of water; it also has two rain barrels and there must have been 30 gallons of water in them, which was very much needed. Good privy.

I used the AT from the PA 944 underpass to the Darlington Shelter as an approach trail, so I completed another 2 miles of the AT also.

Does anyone want to join me and continue south from COL Denning State Park this summer?

Spirit Walker
05-14-2017, 21:41
We hiked it several years ago, when large parts were barely maintained. There were a lot of blowdowns and briars. There are a lot of very rocky sections. The roadwalks weren't that bad and there are a lot fewer now than there were then.

CassSarahSilvius
05-15-2017, 07:15
yea my experience is the same very steep, killer switch backs and not a whole lot of water sources. but the views are worth it and if solitude is what your after this is it. my main concern though is how well it is marked further north in VA into PA as far as road walking because where im at the blazes can get confusing and very spread out.

RangerZ
05-15-2017, 10:45
I can't help you with VA, MD into PA since I was only on the northernmost 25 miles. I forgot to mention the blow downs and sparse blazes. Some places as long as I didn't slide left or right off the ridge, I was okay. Some may call them briars, to me they're jaggers - one day I was bleeding from both arms and legs from jaggers and falls on rocks.

mankind117
05-15-2017, 11:28
Your best bet is to buy the guide books and maps from the Patomac Appalachian Trail club and just go hike it. You can find one thru hike account here:
http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/16075
In general it will be a much different experience than the AT. You will not see many people, parts may be not well maintained. But if you want solitude you will find it there. The southern part starts and Shenanoah, walks through the Shenandoah valleys over Massanutten and goes through part of the Great north mountainarea in the GW national forest before heading north into the VA/WV border area to the PA border. The WV/VA section does have a fair amount of road walking once you get past great north mountain (though there are some really nice off-road sections too). The Pennsylvania section has not a lot of road walking but you are pretty much up on those ridges so you need to plan water carefully and this will be a tough section. Not great maintenance, rocks, and dry. One good thing is that the PATC has been hard at work putting shelters in PA and VA/WV section north of great north mountian. They have a bunch of really nice shelters, and since they are so lightly used and generally newer they are much nicer than the AT shelters. Please ask about specific sections for more details.

CassSarahSilvius
05-15-2017, 16:03
would you happen to know anything about devils nose in Hedgesville WV im unsure if its part of the TT I've read conflicting things. im trying to figure out the distance and if it loops back to parking area.

handlebar
05-15-2017, 17:54
It's my trail journal that's linked above. I did a loop hike using the AT to close the loop. FWIW, there's a selfie of me at Devils Nose in the journal. I echo the recommendation to get the guide and maps from PATC. I still have my hike plan and data book for anyone that might want it (though it is now a bit dated and there may have been reroutes.) Also, there's a Facebook group for the TT.

ki0eh
05-15-2017, 20:59
would you happen to know anything about devils nose in Hedgesville WV im unsure if its part of the TT I've read conflicting things. im trying to figure out the distance and if it loops back to parking area.

I've done a dayhike 11+ mile circuit using some doubletrack (old TT) in Sleepy Creek WMA including Devil's Nose. I parked at the end of Audubon Road on the back side of a resort community. http://www.thewoods.com/documents/HikingMapBrochure_web.pdf shows the road access but you'll want a current edition PATC trail map besides this vague notional map.

ki0eh
05-15-2017, 21:00
The "nose" itself, if you want to go out on it is a short spur off the TT.

AegisIII
05-15-2017, 23:40

A short loop can be made starting at the Maverick Lane parking lot (refer to posted map). A jeep trail and woods road takes you to the TT, which you then head to the Nose. There's a trail heading down the ridgeline of the Nose eventually getting to the creek. (Note: poisonous snakes, deep crevices). You'll need to ford the creek to get an obvious woods road on the other bank. (Don't attempt with high water). Taking this woods road uphill will get you back to the turnaround at the end of the jeep trail, maybe 2.5-3 miles total.

There's a nice small cascade and swimming hole if you take the final woods road downstream to where it crosses the creek. Also, the small stream the woods road follows uphill has seasonal waterfalls.

There are other loops available, sometimes using trails not shown on the map (through nice areas tho "trail" sometimes is the wrong word for the way thru there) and/or via the old TT on the mountain. Though, when I hiked it back in the summer, the treadway had been fully grown over in parts, and some places were nearly fully blocked with poison ivy.

CassSarahSilvius
05-16-2017, 07:20
thanks for the info. today i will be finding a TT map. as far as devils nose i think were going to try parking at maverick rd, go to devils nose cut back hit the pond then take fisherman trail to the TT to Audubon rd, unless i can figure out how to add a few extra miles.... we don't get a babysitter to often so i want the hike to be well worth it.

Malto
05-16-2017, 07:53
yea my experience is the same very steep, killer switch backs and not a whole lot of water sources. but the views are worth it and if solitude is what your after this is it. my main concern though is how well it is marked further north in VA into PA as far as road walking because where im at the blazes can get confusing and very spread out.
I have only hiked the extreme northern section, about the distance that Rangerz hiked. In that section the trail was EXTREMELY well marked, just follow the no trespassing signs. I have never seen as many No trespassing signs as I did on that trail.

RangerZ
05-16-2017, 16:34
I have only hiked the extreme northern section, about the distance that Rangerz hiked. In that section the trail was EXTREMELY well marked, just follow the no trespassing signs. I have never seen as many No trespassing signs as I did on that trail.

I forgot the private game Reserve. I also liked the "stay on path" sign in the middle of the rock field. I checked - front, back, left, right - rocks.

Malto, want to continue farther south?

Malto
05-16-2017, 18:46
I forgot the private game Reserve. I also liked the "stay on path" sign in the middle of the rock field. I checked - front, back, left, right - rocks.

Malto, want to continue farther south?
Maybe in the fall. I need to get some serious training hikes up north a bit to get ready for the Colorado Trail. F on what I saw this would give you training for rock hopping. :)

Tinstaafl
05-17-2017, 23:31
First post. I'm a hiking noob; sort of fancied backpacking for quite a few years, but never took the leap until now at age 67. I want to do it as more of an access to isolated camping than striding for striding's sake.

That being said, I hiked the TT just this Sunday, 9.5 miles from Rt 74 to 34 in PA. Initial 1/4-1/2 mile was a rock scramble, very slow. Not bad after that, but still a fairly aerobic workout. Blazes were pretty good overall, though about a half-dozen times it took some casting around to locate the trail. Some blazes were missing because the tree had fallen; some were just hard to see because of the new spring growth. Definitely time for some trail maintenance by the great volunteers.

An old knee injury resurfaced 8 miles in, and I hobbled the last 1.5 miles like Chester on Gunsmoke. Just a bit too much too soon. But it was a fun hike with great views of the Cumberland Valley. Worth it.

CassSarahSilvius
05-18-2017, 08:48
my wife and i also did a couples miles Sunday on the TT on VA-WV border. we are currently trying to get our gear figured out as far as what works best for us.

RangerZ
05-18-2017, 11:46
Wow, the TT was crowded last Sunday, north and south.:banana

RangerZ
05-18-2017, 20:02
First post. I'm a hiking noob; sort of fancied backpacking for quite a few years, but never took the leap until now at age 67. I want to do it as more of an access to isolated camping than striding for striding's sake.

That being said, I hiked the TT just this Sunday, 9.5 miles from Rt 74 to 34 in PA. Initial 1/4-1/2 mile was a rock scramble, very slow. Not bad after that, but still a fairly aerobic workout. Blazes were pretty good overall, though about a half-dozen times it took some casting around to locate the trail. Some blazes were missing because the tree had fallen; some were just hard to see because of the new spring growth. Definitely time for some trail maintenance by the great volunteers.

An old knee injury resurfaced 8 miles in, and I hobbled the last 1.5 miles like Chester on Gunsmoke. Just a bit too much too soon. But it was a fun hike with great views of the Cumberland Valley. Worth it.

That's the section where I did 0.6 MPH, I was faster nearer the beginning, 1.4 MPH. You probably did better because you went the other direction over the rocks. :banana I admire you if this was a newbie hike. And, :welcome .

Malto
05-18-2017, 20:42
I was trying to figure out where I left off the TT. I did a day hike out of the AT work center, up the AT to the start of the TT. I recall at least two major road crossings until I hit a small park where there was a bunch of folks bird watching for raptors. i took that road down the mountain and made my way back to start. Anyone have any idea what road that was. I remember it being very rocky right before that road.

Tinstaafl
05-18-2017, 21:17
That's the section where I did 0.6 MPH, I was faster nearer the beginning, 1.4 MPH. You probably did better because you went the other direction over the rocks. :banana I admire you if this was a newbie hike. And, :welcome .

No doubt about it, hitting the rocks while still fresh made them much easier. But what finished my knee was the descent straight down 1/2 mile of powerline. I think I'd have done better going the other direction. Wouldn't have burnt out the brake pads so quickly.

I have no experience with judging MPH over various sections, but the whole thing took 5.5 hrs, and that works out to about 1.7 average. Would have been closer to 2 if I hadn't come up lame. I'm satisfied with that for now.
Thanks for the welcome!

RangerZ
05-18-2017, 21:18
I was trying to figure out where I left off the TT. I did a day hike out of the AT work center, up the AT to the start of the TT. I recall at least two major road crossings until I hit a small park where there was a bunch of folks bird watching for raptors. i took that road down the mountain and made my way back to start. Anyone have any idea what road that was. I remember it being very rocky right before that road.

You've described a route up the AT from PA 944 (AT tunnel under road) to the TT, on the TT across PA 34 and PA 74 (radio towers) and down PA 74 to PA 944. The park (before PA 74) is Florence Jones Reineman Wildlife Sanctuary (part of Dickenson University), also the location of your No Trespassing signs.

Not that I remember it, I'm actually looking at the maps trying to plan out my next section. Anybody have any help with water up on the ridge after Fowler Hollow and Hemlock Road?

RangerZ
05-18-2017, 21:26
No doubt about it, hitting the rocks while still fresh made them much easier. But what finished my knee was the descent straight down 1/2 mile of powerline. I think I'd have done better going the other direction. Wouldn't have burnt out the brake pads so quickly.

I have no experience with judging MPH over various sections, but the whole thing took 5.5 hrs, and that works out to about 1.7 average. Would have been closer to 2 if I hadn't come up lame. I'm satisfied with that for now.
Thanks for the welcome!

The power line was the "steep and steeper" comment in my trail notes. Looking at the guide I also wrote "needs escalator".

My first camp was planned to be outside of the state game lands. I lost the sun and may have still been inside them.

Malto
05-18-2017, 21:26
You've described a route up the AT from PA 944 (AT tunnel under road) to the TT, on the TT across PA 34 and PA 74 (radio towers) and down PA 74 to PA 944. The park (before PA 74) is Florence Jones Reineman Wildlife Sanctuary (part of Dickenson University), also the location of your No Trespassing signs.

Not that I remember it, I'm actually looking at the maps trying to plan out my next section. Anybody have any help with water up on the ridge after Fowler Hollow and Hemlock Road?
Thanks, I was racking my rapidly diminishing brain trying to remember the route. Heading up north to hike a bit of the mid states trail south out of Blackwell to Little Pine Creek SP. should help restore the brain a bit.

CassSarahSilvius
05-29-2017, 17:33
Went out on a short section hike of the Tuscarora when we were able secure a babysitter (rare occurrence). Started along route 50 in Gore Va. The parking was a nightmare, had to pull into a lot that was for sale and hope that no one was tow happy.. the beginning of the trail was overgrown, unmarked and nearly impossible to find. It runs along a creek bed and abruptly cuts into a field ( private property) then cuts across the creek before you start to see consistent blazes. The creek was a good three feet deep in spots and we did a lot of stumbling before seeing the blaze. Once on the trail though it was a simple hike to a beautiful shelter. The shelter was approx 3 miles from the road and was wonderfully maintained. I have yet to encounter a shelter on the TT that wasn't top notch. Keep kicking it to pinnacle shelter if you have time( we ran out ) another 6 miles from Barclay Shelter.

RangerZ
09-03-2017, 16:29
Google it and there is plenty of info. The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club has guide books and maps.

I started at the north end in PA in August 2015, intending to stay out for nine days, 99 miles and make it to Maryland, 8.6-13.1 MPD. It was too ambitious for me at the time and I had too much pack weight. After three days I was a day behind my plan and only made 25.3 miles in four days. The second day I only made 5.9 miles, 0.6 MPH for a while over the rocks and hills. The TT thoroughly kicked my ass. YMMV.

My trail notes have comments like "steep and steeper", "very rocky", "rocks suck, like constantly walking on riprap, sprained ankle/broken leg threat constantly". It led me to take a NOLS Wilderness First Aid class. Also, realized that it may not be smart to solo hike some places.

I only saw two other hikers in the four days that I was on the trail. Water can be scarce up on the ridge lines, I filtered and treated out of a road puddle - leading to my rule: "Don't pass up current water for future water." The Irvine shelter was new at the time and was a very welcome sight. It has a front and side porch (with picnic table) and a good view over the Cumberland Valley. The caretaker had it stocked with gallon bottles of water; it also has two rain barrels and there must have been 30 gallons of water in them, which was very much needed. Good privy.

I used the AT from the PA 944 underpass to the Darlington Shelter as an approach trail, so I completed another 2 miles of the AT also.

Does anyone want to join me and continue south from COL Denning State Park this summer?

It's now late summer, 3 September 2017, and I'm thinking about another section for Columbus Day weekend. Friday to Monday, from COL Denning SP south to PA 641. Not big miles, only 26.5 miles, 6-7 mile days.

Anybody interested?

AegisIII
09-03-2017, 23:25
Tough section, but good for solitude. I've hiked most of it save for Knob Mtn. You got plenty of steep up/down hills. Tells us about 641 parking; I need to do a couple of day hikes or shuttles based around there.

Tinstaafl
09-04-2017, 16:00
It's now late summer, 3 September 2017, and I'm thinking about another section for Columbus Day weekend. Friday to Monday, from COL Denning SP south to PA 641. Not big miles, only 26.5 miles, 6-7 mile days.
I might if you were going this month. That's archery season, and I'll be busy looking for Bambi then.

RangerZ
09-04-2017, 18:40
I might if you were going this month. That's archery season, and I'll be busy looking for Bambi then.

That reminds me to put the orange vest on Pack and wear my orange neckerchief.

RangerZ
09-04-2017, 18:49
Tough section, but good for solitude. I've hiked most of it save for Knob Mtn. You got plenty of steep up/down hills. Tells us about 641 parking; I need to do a couple of day hikes or shuttles based around there.

I know that water is scarce on the ridges and am prepared to carry, I'm trying to lose pack weight elsewhere. Any wisdom on water sources?

I'm planning on tenting near the Fowlers hollow shelter and near the trail registers noted on the map and guide. Any wisdom about locations?

RangerZ
09-14-2017, 21:37

Anybody interested?

Tuscarora Trail. I'm bumping this again looking for anyone interested. Don't make me do this solo.

DaveOTN
09-26-2018, 14:10
Tuscarora Trail. I'm bumping this again looking for anyone interested. Don't make me do this solo.

Did you ever get around to it RangerZ? If you still haven't, two years later, send me a message. Not sure I can do much more than a day hike in the rest of 2018 but I'm very local to the northern part of this trail (Carlisle) and have done bits and pieces. A friend and I did the northernmost 35 miles or so of it in WV in June and I'd like to get all of it in someday.

RangerZ
09-26-2018, 15:57
Did you ever get around to it RangerZ? If you still haven't, two years later, send me a message. Not sure I can do much more than a day hike in the rest of 2018 but I'm very local to the northern part of this trail (Carlisle) and have done bits and pieces. A friend and I did the northernmost 35 miles or so of it in WV in June and I'd like to get all of it in someday.

I shifted my focus to the AT and completed 1041.2 miles from GA into MD. Injured my knee and got off in July. I'm planning an October return to get into PA and halfway, then finish next year.

I've touched both ends of the TT in PA and VA. I'm loosely thinking of sometime returning to the TT in PA and section hike south into MD, then later section hike north from VA to MD. The AT may put me off of truly long distance hiking.

I might be interested in a 2019 spring section south from COL Denning SP. I've almost forgotten how much that I did not like the TT.

DaveOTN
09-28-2018, 14:12
It's rough up here at the northern end of it, that's for sure. Rock hopping along ridges and making about a mile an hour does get old. If you ever get a chance to do the area around Sleepy Creek (Sections 12 and 13), it was a totally different beast - a real pretty trail that was relatively well-maintained, considering that we hiked it in about 72 hours of constant downpour. :) We did lose it at one point (which I think is par for the blue blazes) but yeah - the areas of it I've hiked locally have all been just jumping from rock to rock and wondering where the blazes were.

I have a clear memory of hiking up to Flat Rock in Colonel Denning - a beautiful overlook hike, well trafficked, that happens to be on the TT - and then standing there for twenty minutes trying to figure out where exactly the TT got to after that.

Dogwood
09-28-2018, 22:56
love the rocks seems like a nice thru