PDA

View Full Version : One week

Suzzz
05-14-2017, 19:36
So...

You only have one week - the last week of July (from weekend to weekend)

You don't mind travelling to get there

You may or may not be alone (still to be determined)

You will be carrying a tent

You don't care whether it's SOBO or NOBO

Which section of the trail do you do?

4eyedbuzzard
05-14-2017, 19:55
Somewhere in Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine. Close to you and cooler temperatures than further south. I don't think you have enough time to do the 100 mile wilderness in ME along with a Katahdin summit. If you're in good physical condition, I'd recommend doing at least part of the Whites in NH. If not, hike VT or anywhere ending south of Franconia NH, although the section from Glencliff over Moosilauke and the Kinsmans is pretty tough.

Heliotrope
05-14-2017, 20:58
How about Stratton to Monson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suzzz
05-16-2017, 09:33
Thanks for the advice, I keep forgetting about the hot weather in the lower states. So it will definitely be in the upper half of the trail, probably in New England. There's still plenty of time to decide so I'll keep studying my trail guide.

I know it's just a section hike but I'm getting pretty excited!!!

Venchka
05-16-2017, 10:17
No worries. People forget about the frigid weather in the South as well.
Have fun!
Wayne

MtDoraDave
05-19-2017, 06:35
For me, the next section. I'm "trying" to do them in order, northbound.
I've been doing 2 or 3 trips per year, driving up from FL, hiking for a week, then driving home. Pretty soon, the drive will be over 12 hours. At some point, flying may become more practical...so I'll start trying to do 2 weeks on the trail to help mitigate the travel.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
05-19-2017, 06:38
So...

Which section of the trail do you do?

AT?
NH or ME

Suzzz
05-22-2017, 18:59
Yes, sorry, I meant the AT

egilbe
05-22-2017, 19:47
How about Stratton to Monson?

Or Rangeley To Caratunk.

Odd Man Out
05-22-2017, 20:26
Yes, sorry, I meant the AT

Nuts, I was going to suggest Abiko to Nikkaluokta (SOBO) on the Kungsleden

https://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/leder/abisko-nikkaluokta/

illabelle
05-23-2017, 09:05
Thanks for the advice, I keep forgetting about the hot weather in the lower states. So it will definitely be in the upper half of the trail, probably in New England. There's still plenty of time to decide so I'll keep studying my trail guide.

I know it's just a section hike but I'm getting pretty excited!!!

Late July might be too hot for the Smokies. Then again, maybe not. I wouldn't cross them off the list just yet. I would eliminate mostly everything else south of Vermont.

Suzzz
05-24-2017, 09:19
Late July might be too hot for the Smokies. Then again, maybe not. I wouldn't cross them off the list just yet. I would eliminate mostly everything else south of Vermont.
I'm still debating but Stratton to Monson is looking good right now.

At this point I've got all of the gear I need, most of my meals are ready to go and I'm walking hills on my lunch breaks... I can't wait for the end of July to be here !!!!

Deacon
05-24-2017, 10:50

It could be 95* in Gatlinburg, but the Smokys will be comfortably cool.

Suzzz
05-24-2017, 19:48
It could be 95* in Gatlinburg, but the Smokys will be comfortably cool.

How is the area doing with last year's fires? The Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area was so beautiful before.

Alligator
05-24-2017, 23:44
So...

Which section of the trail do you do?The next one.

illabelle
05-25-2017, 05:57
How is the area doing with last year's fires? The Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area was so beautiful before.
Parts of the AT south of the Park were blackened. The AT inside the Park was not really affected. The town of Gatlinburg, on the other hand, lost 2400 structures and 14 lives. Despite the tragedy, Gatlinburg is currently functioning well and welcomes hikers and other visitors.

Several weeks ago, we hiked a portion of the scorched Rainbow Falls Trail (between Gatlinburg and the AT). We'll go back next month to see how well the forest is recovering.

shelb
05-25-2017, 22:59
If yu are a new hiker and not planning on doing many miles, I would do Maryland (Harpers Ferry - Penn Mar Park). Granted, this is only just over miles, but it is the best 50 miles of the trail!!!!

Suzzz
05-26-2017, 08:24
If yu are a new hiker and not planning on doing many miles, I would do Maryland (Harpers Ferry - Penn Mar Park). Granted, this is only just over miles, but it is the best 50 miles of the trail!!!!

Thanks for the tip, shelb!

I'm not a new hiker but new to the AT and long distance hiking. Up until now I've been a weekend warrior. The AT has been on my bucket list for far too long (about 25 years), however career and family got in the way (and that's a good thing!) but now it's time to start putting some miles on those section hikes and who knows, I might event try a thru when I retire.

I just want to get out there and have some fun! So now I'll sign off and go on a ''NICE'' 10 mile training hike in the pissing rain. Haha... Sucks to have your day off when it rains but then again, it's been raining almost every day around here for the past two months. Not fun but we don't have to shovel it, so that's a good thing! And since it will more than likely rain when I'm on the trail...