PDA

View Full Version : Sea to Summit Aeros Ultra Light Pillow Failure

SkeeterPee
05-15-2017, 10:29
I've had this pillow less than 2 years and used it at most 30 times when it developed a leak. I figured I would fix the leak and patched it yesterday. But now I find it was not just the one leak I had originally marked. when I wetted the pillow with soapy water and squeeze there are 100 places with bubbles on both sides of the pillow.

Anyone else have this happen? I am thinking there must be an air tight coating on the inside of the pillow that broke down and allowed leaks all over. Should that happen in 2 years and 30 nights?

I'm now thinking I need to find a non-air filled pillow. any ideas? Leaving Sunday for a trip.

BuckeyeBill
05-15-2017, 10:34
You can use a stuff sack with extra clothing in it.

saltysack
05-15-2017, 10:39
I've found with my shoes wedged under pad I don't need a much of a pillow...I'm a back and stomach sleeper though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkeeterPee
05-15-2017, 10:50
I have a bad back and always sleep on my sides. I have a small stuff sack of clothes between my knees to properly align my back. Not enough clothes for a head pillow too. So I need some sort of pillow. The sea to summit pillow was not really big enough, but I stuffed my frog togs in a bag with it which made it big enough.

BuckeyeBill
05-15-2017, 10:59
I have used my pack as a pillow. I have a sciatic nerve problem and also need a need something between my knees. I have used my packa as a knee pillow and clothes for my head, but I am a hammock hanger.

nsherry61
05-15-2017, 11:56
I've had this pillow less than 2 years and used it at most 30 times . . . I find it was not just the one leak. . . there are 100 places with bubbles on both sides of the pillow.
. . . I am thinking there must be an air tight coating on the inside of the pillow that broke down and allowed leaks all over.
. . . I'm now thinking I need to find a non-air filled pillow. any ideas? . . .
1) You will not find a pillow option that is anywhere nearly as nice as the S2S Aeros pillow. They just rock for weight and comfort compared to all the suggestions listed above . . . that being said, I often use my Aeros pillow and I often choose not to. But, the alternatives are not as comfortable. Okay, I am a fan of my wadded up fleece jacket as a pillow, but I often don't take it, and when I do, I often use it as night insulation so it is not available as a pillow.

2) No gear lasts forever, no matter how well made, AND, there is always the chance of failure due to a rare defect. Failure of one piece of gear that may be defective does not mean the next Aeros pillow won't surpass your wildest expectations.

3) Yes, you Aeros pillow is made with a fabric using an airtight laminate layer that, yes, over time, can fail and is guaranteed by the manufacture. If you contact Sea-to-Summit you will probably be quite happy with their customer service and you will probably end up with a new pillow at no cost to you. . . but you won't get it before the weekend.

Good luck.

JPritch
05-15-2017, 15:02
That sucks...I was looking at that exact pillow. Out of all the ones I tried at REI, it felt really comfortable, and it turned out to be the lightest too.

HooKooDooKu
05-15-2017, 15:03
1) You will not find a pillow option that is anywhere nearly as nice as the S2S Aeros pillow. They just rock for weight and comfort compared to all the suggestions listed above . . . that being said, I often use my Aeros pillow and I often choose not to. But, the alternatives are not as comfortable. Okay, I am a fan of my wadded up fleece jacket as a pillow, but I often don't take it, and when I do, I often use it as night insulation so it is not available as a pillow.
2) No gear lasts forever, no matter how well made, AND, there is always the chance of failure due to a rare defect. Failure of one piece of gear that may be defective does not mean the next Aeros pillow won't surpass your wildest expectations.
3) Yes, you Aeros pillow is made with a fabric using an airtight laminate layer that, yes, over time, can fail and is guaranteed by the manufacture. If you contact Sea-to-Summit you will probably be quite happy with their customer service and you will probably end up with a new pillow at no cost to you. . . but you won't get it before the weekend.
Good luck.
I totally agree that the Aeros pillow is THE best camp pillow. Very light weight with a cloth outer next to your skin (for us side/stomach sleepers).

The closest comp would be the Exped pillow. The Exped UL is lighter than the Aeros, but the material is some sort of plastic absorbs oils from your skin that don't wash off.

100s of bubbles from all over sound a little odd.... but then the way I would describe my Aeros pillow is a piece of cloth with a ziplock bag liner. It's possible you have only one hole, but that the air spreads around between the liner and cloth layers.

Sea-to-Summit Warranty (http://www.seatosummitusa.com/warranty/) says they warrant their products for the intended life of the product (excluding things like damage and neglect). 30 nights over 2 years does sound like too short a life-span for a well cared-for camp pillow. So assuming it hasn't been damaged by a puncture, you should be able to work something out with Sea-toSummit.

But that's not going to happen before this weekend. So for now, you might want to make due with one of the other suggestions until you can see what Sea-to-Summit can do for you.

putts
05-15-2017, 15:31
I used one for my thru hike and loved it...until it gave out with about 200 miles left. I figure I got my $ worth out of it, bought another just like it and it failed on my first trip out. Returned that to REI, and tried another, It deflated itself about halfway over the course of one night. Im back to the find something soft to prop under my head solution. It was sure nice while it lasted, but I'm not going to but another one.

blw2
05-15-2017, 16:18
its what happened to it between those 30 nights that i would question.... for example, stored in an attic?
also, you never know what happened to these things in transit or in storage before you ever bought it.

For what's it's worth, I have a Nemo Fillo pillow I bought several years ago as a luxury item. I too have neck issues and I'm a side sleeper, so I was willing to pay a bit for something nice. I like it and so far so good, but i do find it noisier than i'd like

TX Aggie
05-15-2017, 17:40
Sorry to hear you're having issues with it. This is one reason why I tend to not be a gram counter. I'm more willing to buy something a little heavier if its heavier duty. Same thing with pricing, if I think it will hold up just as well and is less expensive but heavier, I'll usually go that route.

Cuban fiber is the one thing I've seen lately that actually seems to be somewhat durable and still extremely light. But then the cost comes into play.

Hopefully S2S will help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbolt
05-15-2017, 18:18
I think the S2S Aeros is the most comfortable pillow. However, I am on pillow number two as well and am worried that the life of the pillow is not worth the replacement aggravation. I purchased a Hammock Gear Down Pillow that I like, especially on cold nights. My second choice "air" pillow is the Klymits X Pillow. It is the lightest and possibly the toughest material. I use my buff around the pillow for soft cloth against the face.

Here is video if interested: http://youtu.be/i9E__bKPLu8

Sandy of PA
05-16-2017, 17:18
Sounds like you got Deet on it. Deet will melt plastics and I have heard that many pinholes is what happens.

SkeeterPee
05-16-2017, 21:23
I suppose a little deet is possible since it is on your neck and arms. But I don't put on any at night so i'm not sure there would be much to rub off while sleeping.

I did call and it seems likely Sea to Summit will replace. I just need to take a picture and send them an email. But that will not be in time for a Sunday Trip. I'll probably see if I can get a new one locally.

My Aeros was the ultralight. It seemed like most comments did not mention the UL version. So I think I may get the regular version this time.