PDA

View Full Version : Route 50 Parking in VA

JLorenzo77
05-15-2017, 10:42
Hi everyone - I am thinking of doing an overnight hike from Route 50, north to Snickers Gap. I would leave on Friday afternoon of Memorial Day weekend, hike a quick few miles and stay at Rod Hollow for the evening, before hiking the rest of the way to Snickers Gap.

I'd leave midday Friday but am concerned about the parking lot filling up. Does anyone know how many cars the trail head at 50 can handle?

I know this hike won't cover a ton of miles (~14), but it's challenging terrain and I'd be going with some guys who haven't done an overnight before.

Pastor Bryon
05-15-2017, 11:10
Going on memory (just did this in January), I would say you could get about a dozen cars in the parking area so long as everyone parks smartly. If you are hoping to arrive at the parking lot midday Friday, I think you would be able to get a spot. Snickers Gap parking is just as tight and lightly will have even more traffic than 50. Have you looked into parking at Bears Den and having them shuttle you to the starting point at 50? You would still get almost the same mileage, and they have ample parking.

JLorenzo77
05-15-2017, 11:38
Going on memory (just did this in January), I would say you could get about a dozen cars in the parking area so long as everyone parks smartly. If you are hoping to arrive at the parking lot midday Friday, I think you would be able to get a spot. Snickers Gap parking is just as tight and lightly will have even more traffic than 50. Have you looked into parking at Bears Den and having them shuttle you to the starting point at 50? You would still get almost the same mileage, and they have ample parking.

Thanks, pal. That's a decent idea. I usually park in the commuter lot on the other side of Route 7 for day hikes and was planning on doing that again. But I can certainly check in with Bears Den and see about a shuttle. That would be better in terms of not having to take two cars. Thanks!

Kaptainkriz
05-15-2017, 20:16
The parking at 50/601 can hold around 10, with extras around the edges. I've used it a number of times.