PDA

View Full Version : What are some conveniences sreendiptiously bought on a hike?

Dogwood
05-15-2017, 14:44
I bought a back washing brush(used once), two exfoliator scrubbies(used once), and several hair cuts. I've paid for massages too.

saltysack
05-15-2017, 15:45
That massage come with a happy ending?[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckeyeBill
05-15-2017, 16:50
I'm with DW on the massage. Felt great afterwards. My hair is long all the time, maybe get rid of the split ends. I did pay for several shampoo sessions because nothing feels better than someone else washing your hair. Before I stopped drinking and smoking, I bought a very nice bottle of Merlot and a Churchill cigar.

Harrison Bergeron
05-15-2017, 19:43
I bought a Thermorest pillow case at Three Eagles outfitter Franklin, to turn my clothing bag into a usable pillow, after finally giving up on the high-dollar Big Agnes blow-up pillow I bought at Mountain Crossings in search of a good night's sleep. It is amazing what a difference a simple pillowcase made -- although nothing improved that damned blow-up pillow. I finally left it in a hiker box somewhere.

Dogwood
05-15-2017, 20:20

No comment. ;)

On another note with nothing but complete respect for Tilly's granddaughter Neville and her husband Michael of Woods Hole Hostel in VA on the AT gave great foot massages. It was worth every bit the $10 at the time. Michael and Neville are now growing a garden in a well run AT hostel worth a stop for anyone looking for an authentic historical AT stopover. It has been two of my most memorable AT thru-hiking experiences having the privilege of staying at Woods Hole two times.

I bought a Thermorest pillow case at Three Eagles outfitter Franklin, to turn my clothing bag into a usable pillow, after finally giving up on the high-dollar Big Agnes blow-up pillow I bought at Mountain Crossings in search of a good night's sleep. It is amazing what a difference a simple pillowcase made -- although nothing improved that damned blow-up pillow. I finally left it in a hiker box somewhere.

Bet it had Winnie the Pooh on it. :p

Leo L.
05-16-2017, 04:08
Going to the barber after coming out of the desert. Just for a shave, as a haircut would find rarely anything to cut.

When hiking with my wife, we give each other a foot massage every now and then.
We do our hikes in areas where the old Bible things supposedly had happened, and it's written that Jesus washed and anointed the feet of some guys. We clearly understand that this is about the greatest service one can give, in the desert.

Bansko
05-16-2017, 10:13
A haircut. Of course, being considerate, only after a shower and clean clothes

Puddlefish
05-16-2017, 13:48
I started with some expensive Vivobarefoot camp shoes, that took me months of research and internet shopping to find my size at a decent price and get shipped to me. In practice, they were heavier than advertised, kind of cold and clammy at the end of the day, didn't let my feet dry off, and just generally useless for my purposes. Looking around me on the trail, I saw a few people with Cushe camp shoes that looked really cozy.

A shuttle back to the trail went wrong, and never showed up, so in the process of walking to a different place I stumbled across a little outfitters that sold the Cushe ones, they even had my size. I left the expensive ones in a hiker box.

putts
05-16-2017, 14:40
In 07 I bought a discman portable CD player/headphones and 3 cds in Pearsburg. I went light weight though and ditched the CD cases. Luckily the damn thing broke before I got to Waynesboro.

Tipi Walter
05-16-2017, 15:18
I was thrown by the word "sreendiptiously" which is an awful approximation of Serendipitously but I get the idea.

One definition of Serendipitous is "discovered by chance" and if there's one truthful thing I can saw about my backpack---NOTHING inside it will ever be discovered by chance. I know exactly every piece of gear I'm carrying.

The other definition is "occurring in a happy or beneficial way" and so I can say every backpacking trip has in part ample serendipity. Happy to see a creek, happy for snow, happy for a windstorm, happy for an all-night rain, happy for a good open trail, happy for the weight on my back etc. All beneficial.

Conveniences bought on a hike? No haircuts for me. Never a massage. I consider food a real convenience and much of it has been bought. One time I hitched up to DC and threw my pack on the Metro line and paid for a ticket. That was a convenience. Hitching the Beltway was madness.

I guess I have to include getting a motel room once during a 30 day hitchhiking trip off Interstate entrance/exit ramps in 1984. There's no more grungy feeling than hitching for a month and stealth camping near highways---you get covered in a sort of asphalt sludge layer from head to foot. Ergo the motel room with a hot shower.

Deacon
05-16-2017, 18:26
No comment. ;)

On another note with nothing but complete respect for Tilly's granddaughter Neville and her husband Michael of Woods Hole Hostel in VA on the AT gave great foot massages. It was worth every bit the $10 at the time. Michael and Neville are now growing a garden in a well run AT hostel worth a stop for anyone looking for an authentic historical AT stopover. It has been two of my most memorable AT thru-hiking experiences having the privilege of staying at Woods Hole two times.

Michael and Neville

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170516/fa7d93e343770cd4dc0fedeae6682223.jpg

Dogwood
05-16-2017, 18:59
Thx Deacon.

MuddyWaters
05-16-2017, 23:02
Hotel and 3 hot showers /shampoos in a row after 2 weeks in the desert
And theres still dirt between toes , under nails, in ears, etc

-Rush-
05-19-2017, 13:33

Tread lightly. I got crucified for making a locker room comment like that. Just ask Dogwood!

saltysack
05-19-2017, 20:32
Tread lightly. I got crucified for making a locker room comment like that. Just ask Dogwood!

People are far too serious these days.....[emoji16]

swjohnsey
05-19-2017, 20:38
The Amish ice cream at Woods Hole.

August W.
05-20-2017, 18:29
I paid a premium to ride for a little over an hour in a taxi rather than hitching from one trail head to another.

Time Zone
05-20-2017, 19:45
I was thrown by the word "sreendiptiously" which is an awful approximation of Serendipitously but I get the idea.

I suspect the OP meant "surreptitiously", as in, conveniences bought quietly so no one would notice (at the time ... they seem to be spilling the beans with this thread though).