PDA

View Full Version : Tent Opinion

carissa
05-15-2017, 15:45
Big Agnes - Fly Creek UL Tent

Only hiked about 30 miles of the AT last summer.

lonehiker
05-15-2017, 16:06
I've since changed to another tent but I used a Fly Creek UL2 for several years with no complaints. For the money/weight it is a decent tent.

ScareBear
05-15-2017, 16:10

I have had the BA FCUL3 for the last 3 years. It is a fine tent. Some don't like the single front door and single front vestibule, but they work ok for me. The UL2 is more like a 1.5 person tent, the UL3 more like a 2.5 person tent. It has survived 50mph winds and torrential downpours. I invested in the fitted groundcloth and am glad I did. You can set up the tent fly-first in the rain and then hang the tent body and clip it on to the poles.

For as thin as the fabric is, it has proven quite durable. The only issue is with the rain flap over the fly vestibule zipper getting caught in the zipper. It's a known issue...just zip slowly and stop the minute you encounter any resistance...also be sure to stake the front fly stakes carefully/correctly...

carissa
05-15-2017, 16:41
thank you i wasn't expecting the tent's to be 400 bucks but i do want one that's decent and about a pound

ScareBear
05-15-2017, 17:28
thank you i wasn't expecting the tent's to be 400 bucks but i do want one that's decent and about a pound

A pound? Really? And $400 is too much? :eek:

The BA FCUL1 weighs in at just under TWO pounds, if you include the stakes and guy lines. The lightest it weighs without that stuff is 1lb, 10oz. It is on sale all over the internet for $250. ;)

The only tent that weighs a pound will set you back $600, is not freestanding, needs hiking poles, is single walled and has a single entry.

New to backpacking? Weight costs. You want a $100 tent, be prepared to carry 4 pounds. You want a $250-400 tent? Be prepared to carry 2-3 pounds. Want a one pound tent? The cheapest is $600 but you can find one for $1000 if you look....

Sarcasm the elf
05-15-2017, 18:03

I used a Fly Creek UL 1 for about a year. It was a perfectly acceptable tent, but ended up getting rid of it for three reasons:

1) I could not sit up inside it, which proved to be the deal breaker since it made it difficult to change, rollover, read etc.
2) I did not personally like the front entry.
3) I found it snug for a person of my size (5'11")

I ended up getting a Tarptent instead which I'm quite happy with. A lot of people also recommend the BA Copper Spur which is similar to the fly creek but has a side entry, however I don't have personal experience with it.

TNhiker
05-15-2017, 19:48
this topic comes up every few months or so-------if a search is done, find various other threads on the FL tent....

and likewise---the 3 reasons The Elf laid out is the same reason i sold my FL1 and FL2..........

and the Copper Spur is a different design-----side entry and can sit up in it.........

RangerZ
05-15-2017, 21:13
I also agree with the above, I like my CS1. I can sit up in it to change my gauchies. Its big enough that I haul my pack inside also.

With the left side entry and a left zip sleeping bag you can roll right into your bag.

carissa
05-31-2017, 10:51
I used a Fly Creek UL 1 for about a year. It was a perfectly acceptable tent, but ended up getting rid of it for three reasons:

1) I could not sit up inside it, which proved to be the deal breaker since it made it difficult to change, rollover, read etc.
2) I did not personally like the front entry.
3) I found it snug for a person of my size (5'11")

I ended up getting a Tarptent instead which I'm quite happy with. A lot of people also recommend the BA Copper Spur which is similar to the fly creek but has a side entry, however I don't have personal experience with it.

would you have liked it more if you bought the 2 person..I'm thinking of doing that, just for a little extra room.

carissa
05-31-2017, 11:18
what do you think about this one https://www.campsaver.com/checkout/cart/

HooKooDooKu
05-31-2017, 11:31
what do you think about this one https://www.campsaver.com/checkout/cart/
You'll need to supply a link to the item, not your shopping cart.

Maineiac64
05-31-2017, 11:33
A pound? Really? And $400 is too much? :eek:

The BA FCUL1 weighs in at just under TWO pounds, if you include the stakes and guy lines. The lightest it weighs without that stuff is 1lb, 10oz. It is on sale all over the internet for $250. ;)

The only tent that weighs a pound will set you back $600, is not freestanding, needs hiking poles, is single walled and has a single entry.

New to backpacking? Weight costs. You want a $100 tent, be prepared to carry 4 pounds. You want a $250-400 tent? Be prepared to carry 2-3 pounds. Want a one pound tent? The cheapest is $600 but you can find one for $1000 if you look....
The zpacks duplex is new at $600 at 21oz is roomy for 1, cozy for 2, and has two entrances and vestibules. There is an option to make it freestanding if you needed it.

HooKooDooKu
05-31-2017, 11:59
would you have liked it more if you bought the 2 person..I'm thinking of doing that, just for a little extra room.
I too have tried a FCUL1 and had 3 issue with it:

1. Too small, my sleeping bag touched the tent wall and I wound up with condensation on my sleeping bag.
(obviously a larger model would correct this issue)

2. Didn't like the front entry. It was like sliding into a sleeping bag just to get into your tent.
(this is a personal preference think, some people hate the front entrance, others are not bothered by it)

3. Difficult to zip the rain fly closed without practically getting out of the tent.
(comparing the specs on the vestibule area for the CS v FC, not sure why this was an issue other than perhaps the door for FC is sloped, and the door on CS is nearly vertical)

Sarcasm the elf
05-31-2017, 12:18

A lot of people do exactly that, the 2 person model would allow you to sit up inside and would give you a lot of additional functional room. Keep in mind that the fly creek 2 person model is more like a 1.5 person model. It cab technically fit two people, however if you put two adult sleeping pads in it, they will overlap towards the end of the tent.

Personally I would still prefer a Tarptent Double Rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html) over the BA FC UL2, however each tent has
certain advantages and disadvantages, they're both good and it comes down to personal preference.

Falls Down Goes Boom
05-31-2017, 13:27
I have a BA FC UL2 and have used it around 20 nights. It's a good tent and I have no real complaints. The fabric is so lightweight I was worried about accidentally tearing it on something but so far so good. The screen appears to have developed some small holes, but still keeps the bugs out. The fly doesn't come all the way down to the ground so on a windy day it can get pretty breezy inside. I agree the front entry is not ideal as it seems like I am pulling leaf litter and dirt in where my head is going to be, but that's a minor annoyance. I like that it's a lightweight freestanding tent, so I can pick the whole thing up and shake it out before breaking it down and packing it up.

Tipi Walter
05-31-2017, 13:34
My backpacking buddy Patman uses a Fly Creek UL in some configuration (he's on his third???) and here's his review---

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/fly-creek-ul2/#review24531

Here's his tent on some shared trips---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/22-Days-Pisgah-Holyland/i-PRKs99D/0/dde0d2ea/XL/TRIP%20157%20202-XL.jpg
On the Timber Ridge trail in Pisgah NF above Lost Cove Creek.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-in-Solitude/i-95x82Mt/0/f1a505e3/L/TRIP%20130%20270-L.jpg
On Bob Bald eating breakfast.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-in-Solitude/i-vXcSBsJ/0/eda1f950/L/TRIP%20130%20066-L.jpg
On Fodderstack Ridge on the BMT---cold night at 9F.