PDA

View Full Version : 3p tents used for two people

Elaikases
05-16-2017, 22:50
Was looking at this one https://mytrailco.com/collections/tents/products/tent-ul-3

Could not tell if it was free standing except for when the wind was high or you didn't use the rain fly.

But it did look attractive.

• Min Weight: 2lbs, 15.5oz (Fly + Nest + Pole Set)
• Max Weight: 3lbs, 4.5oz (Min + Stakes + Guy Lines + Stuff Sacks)

• Body Area: 38 sq ft
• Vestibule Area: 8 sq ft

Anyone with experience with one of these?

(The UL 2 is not free standing and a little small in some ways).

Feral Bill
05-16-2017, 23:11
Not a three person tent unless they were desperate. For two, maybe very nice.

Elaikases
05-16-2017, 23:33
Not a three person tent unless they were desperate. For two, maybe very nice.

:) I was thinking of it for two people. Most 2P tents are 27 to 30 square feet. This one is 38.

Anyone have any experience with it?

LIhikers
05-17-2017, 00:07
While I don't have any experience with that tent, my wife and I use use a diferent 3 person tent.We use the Tarptent Rainshadow II. It covers me, the wife and our 90 pound dog with easy.You can see it at https://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html

4shot
05-17-2017, 07:12
I am in the market for a new 3p tent. My wife and I like the extra room. I am replacing a tarptent double rainbow, which we both loved. I will probably get another TT but am in no rush since I don't have any summer trips planned. Anyone ever heard of this company? IIRC, didn't they used to exist under another name.?

Elaikases
05-17-2017, 07:20
The core company folded after expanding too much, and a sub-set of the principals and such relaunched.

The 2P was really close to perfect.

Elaikases
05-17-2017, 07:21
While I don't have any experience with that tent, my wife and I use use a diferent 3 person tent.We use the Tarptent Rainshadow II. It covers me, the wife and our 90 pound dog with easy.You can see it at https://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html

Looks nice, I'm just shooting for freestanding at the moment.

bigcranky
05-17-2017, 07:22
We've used 3-person tents for two people. Many "3 person" tents are exactly 60 inches wide, which is the same as the width of 3 20-inch sleeping pads. So three people would be jammed in there pretty tight -- pads may be 20 inches wide, but people aren't :) So a 3-person tent can have a lot of room for 2 people and gear/dog/kid. (Note that I can't find the actual dimensions of that tent anywhere.)

For that kind of money though I'd get a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo. Tons of room, great weather protection, amazing interior volume, and ~40 ounces. Not free standing, uses trekking poles, and not double wall, which turns off some folks. But a very capable tent. Probably the best combination of (low) weight, (big) size, and (moderate) price for a 2-person backpacking tent, IMHO. (Disclaimer: we used one for years, we are just satisfied customers of SMD.)

We also used the original Rainshadow from Tarptent, which actually sleeps three people. Also a great tent, though I didn't like the one door at the head end -- I'm not that flexible to get in and out :) Used it when hiking with our preteen daughter, then sold it for the Lunar Duo.

Currently using a Zpacks Triplex, which is similar to the Lunar Duo, but at half the weight and twice the price. I very much like this tent, though the Lunar Duo had some features I preferred (like the zippered doors over the vestibule).

Venchka
05-17-2017, 14:38
Add to the list:
TarpTent StratoSpire 2. Expanded floor. Room for 2 25" pads and space leftover. Two inner tent configurations available: All mesh or partial solid (real double wall construction).
I own the SS1, part solid. Very spacious. Very well made. Very sturdy. Use with or without the inner tent as conditions permit.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethesis
05-17-2017, 17:32
What freestanding recommendations do you have?

JC13
05-17-2017, 19:05
The closest to free-standing you are probably going to get is a MSR or Big Agnes. Both are 3-person, the BA is $450 at REI and the MSR is $600. From what I recall, most backpacking tents aren't really truly freestanding anymore.

Venchka
05-17-2017, 20:23
I also own an MSR Hubba Hubba NX. It most assuredly is freestanding. The 3p model is the Mutha Hubba NX.
In a head to head comparison in a shop last Memorial Day weekend I picked the MSR over the BA. I'm glad I did.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grunt
05-17-2017, 22:21
We have the Pyramid 4 from MTC. Yeah it's a 4P on paper but it is a hotel for two. My buddy and I ditched our coffin 1P and 2P tents a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. He carries 3lbs and I carry 3lbs and we have room to spare in a tent most people can stand up in. We sleep with ALL our gear (yes, food bag too). Never had an issue finding space for it yet. I'm a really big supporter of Teepee style tents.

I have the old Golite version (Emogene) of the UL2 and when I'm alone it's great but if I did it over, I'd get the smaller Teepee version for a single tent with lots of room.