PDA

View Full Version : Do I have allergies?h

Gambit McCrae
05-17-2017, 21:45
For 1300 miles of the AT I have more mornings then not woken up and can not start my day without a good dry heaving that always ends with mostly a yellow bile on the ground. I was tested as a child and was positive for something like 13 trees as allergic. However I have seen anxiety before college jobs and school so i cant determine which it is.

dudeman_atl
05-17-2017, 22:01
For 1300 miles of the AT I have more mornings then not woken up and can not start my day without a good dry heaving that always ends with mostly a yellow bile on the ground. I was tested as a child and was positive for something like 13 trees as allergenic. However i have seen anxiety before college jobs and school so i cant determine which it is.
There is hella-tree-pollen out there & it has been wrecking me this year. Otc allergy meds seem to help.

Huntmog
05-17-2017, 22:55
If you figure out a cure please share... my hiking companions all make fun of my dry heaving starts in the morning that produce that same yellowish bile ...can't get a cup of coffee ready quick enough!!!

becfoot
05-17-2017, 23:27
Expensive but get the store brand of Allegra at your next resupply, assuming it's allergies. Best stuff out there. I always have horrible allergies and this stuff is a lifesaver. Hope you feel better soon.

dcdennis
05-18-2017, 10:18
Would allergies really make you puke? I thought they just made congestion.

Rmcpeak
05-18-2017, 10:25
My allergies can give me a horrendous migraine-like headache that can actually make me nauseous. I take a zyrtec every day. It helps.

burger
05-18-2017, 10:31
Um, I don't think dry heaving is an allergy symptom. See a doctor.

Gambit McCrae
05-18-2017, 10:32
I usually wake up, and pretty quickly after 5-10 minutes my mouth starts salivating and I either puke up about a 1/2 cup of yellow bile and swallowed saliva OR a am bent in half for 5-10 minutes dry heaving until some sort of bile comes out. Then my stomach is in a knot, no appetite for most of the day hence my low calorie intake, low energy.

rocketsocks
05-18-2017, 11:13
Sounds like you may be dehydrated

burger
05-18-2017, 11:40
I usually wake up, and pretty quickly after 5-10 minutes my mouth starts salivating and I either puke up about a 1/2 cup of yellow bile and swallowed saliva OR a am bent in half for 5-10 minutes dry heaving until some sort of bile comes out. Then my stomach is in a knot, no appetite for most of the day hence my low calorie intake, low energy.
Yeah, I would see a doctor ASAP. Everyone in my family has allergies, and I've never heard of anything like this.

Slo-go'en
05-18-2017, 11:41
I suffered so bad in Georgia from tree pollen at the end of April I had to go home. My head was all clogged up and when I laid down my lungs would start to fill up with mucus, which I'd then spend all night coughing up. Benadryl helped me sleep, but made me really groggy. Between loosing a lot of sleep in the beginning and the antihistamines, I was really struggling to go up hills.

Interestingly, after I got back to NH, where the trees here are in a similar state of blooming and pollen levels are quite high, I have no trouble. I guess I'm immune to the type of trees we have here.

Anyway, your symptoms don't sound like allergies, something else is going on.

Gambit McCrae
05-18-2017, 12:43
Never happens at home. Starting to think that is it more of anxiety then anything else.

Falls Down Goes Boom
05-18-2017, 12:58
I have bad allergies. Claritin D helps, but my eyes still itch, I still sneeze, and post-nasal drip is constant. It's bad enough that although I am most comfortable sleeping on my back, the feeling of mucus running down the back of my throat and into my lungs is so unpleasant that I have to sleep on my side, and I roll back and forth all night long to take the pressure off my sinuses.

MuddyWaters
05-18-2017, 13:03
Never happens at home. Starting to think that is it more of anxiety then anything else.

Why anxiety on trail?

Ive known football players that threw up before games, but never a hiker.

BuckeyeBill
05-18-2017, 13:13
I am not trying to scare you, but you need to get checked for Lyme Disease and Powasson Virus asap. Here is an excellent article (http://www.mvtimes.com/2016/07/13/visiting-physician-sheds-new-light-lyme-disease/) posted yesterday.

Gambit McCrae
05-18-2017, 13:39
Why anxiety on trail?

Ive known football players that threw up before games, but never a hiker.

I overthink and stress about just about everything in life. "Will I make my miles today" "Will I make it up the big climbs today" "Will I be late for my pickup" "Will I finish the trip". I have been this way with everything in life.

BuckeyeBill
05-18-2017, 13:43
From the wisdom of Lone Wolf: "It's only walking."

kestral
05-18-2017, 18:50
If you were my patient I would not test you for Lyme disease, I would treat you for it. Summer flu? Outdoorsy person? Rule out Lyme. Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for 3 weeks unless allergic to this antibiotic, pair with good probiotic to minimize gi symptoms.

Get ye to a walk in clinic or md.

Best of luck and good health to you!

MuddyWaters
05-18-2017, 19:27
I overthink and stress about just about everything in life. "Will I make my miles today" "Will I make it up the big climbs today" "Will I be late for my pickup" "Will I finish the trip". I have been this way with everything in life.

Ever heard of xanax or valium?

scrabbler
05-18-2017, 20:35
After 1300 miles any anxiety would probably be lessening to some extent. Im not a doctor, but I recommend you go see one, that's not normal.

Mugthumper
05-18-2017, 23:34
I've had allergies as far back as I can remember and this year has been the worst I have experienced in roughly 20 years. Incredibly, infuriatingly itchy eyes that are puffy and swell nearly closed, intense sinus pressure, ears popping, intermittent sneeze attacks with a constant fully stuffed nose for multiple weeks that never stops dripping, snoring all night long, and the occasional hacking because it feels like everything is running into your lungs. I know how debilitating allergies can be, it is awful. Thankfully the worst of it ended about 10 days ago for me after about 3 weeks of pure misery.

What you describe sounds nothing like seasonal allergies. I don't know you personally or know of your potential anxiety issues but I don't think that that is what you are experiencing either.

I would quickly get myself off trail and to a doc.

Like yesterday.

Gambit McCrae
05-19-2017, 07:11
I should have stated, I am not thru hiking. I am out on the trail about every other weekend. This only happens when I am on the trail.

TexasBob
05-19-2017, 10:00
Try a zantac at bedtime maybe you have an indigestion problem rather than allergies.

Deadeye
05-19-2017, 22:29
For sure, when I'm puking up stuff on a daily basis, the first thing that comes to my mind is to ask a bunch of stupid hikers for their unqualified opinion.

Ask a doctor, man!

Gambit McCrae
05-19-2017, 22:59
For sure, when I'm puking up stuff on a daily basis, the first thing that comes to my mind is to ask a bunch of stupid hikers for their unqualified opinion.Ask a doctor, man!

Its not on a daily basis. Its on a hiking basis, mostly on unhiked trail basis.

Deadeye
05-20-2017, 10:00
You missed my point - we are completely unqualified to give you medical or psychological advice. Find someone who is.

TexasBob
05-20-2017, 14:50
You missed my point - we are completely unqualified to give you medical or psychological advice. Find someone who is.

Your advice to him is don't take online advice? So - should he take your advice or is he suppose to ignore your advice? :confused:

Kalaallit
05-23-2017, 00:42
I have a horrible tree allergy, and so my nose is constantly runny/stuffy (about 8 months running as of now). At night, all of the mucus in my nose runs down my throat and into my stomach. At any time during the day, it can strike. I get a horrible feeling in my stomach. Think of the flu, but way worse. I've often puked as a result. Granted, I am a one-off in this, but it might apply to you too.

perdidochas
05-23-2017, 11:08
For 1300 miles of the AT I have more mornings then not woken up and can not start my day without a good dry heaving that always ends with mostly a yellow bile on the ground. I was tested as a child and was positive for something like 13 trees as allergic. However I have seen anxiety before college jobs and school so i cant determine which it is.

Do you take any allergy medication? If I were you, I'd try Zyrtec (cetirizine) in the morning or benadryl (diphenhydramine) at night. If it is allergies, that should help.

perdidochas
05-23-2017, 11:09
Would allergies really make you puke? I thought they just made congestion.

Some people get post-nasal drip, which can make you puke. I have had that once or twice if I'm not careful with my otc allergy medication.

Riocielo
05-23-2017, 13:31
Perhaps gastric reflux, especially with the bile vomitus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Francis Sawyer
05-23-2017, 13:53
My $ is on Lyme.

Francis Sawyer
05-23-2017, 13:54
See a doctor. Don't ask for advice from random forum lurkers.