PDA

View Full Version : Philly Hikers

Pages : [1] 2

Wonder
01-28-2006, 13:37
I have seen many "Philly Pholk" here on WB. Many who are leaving to hike this year! I thought that it maybe fun for all of us to get together sometime in the next couple weeks. Since many off us are in the suburbs, we should try and find a central local, probably the city. I work at World Cafe Live in University city which might be a spot, but I will go anywhere.
What do you think?

lbbrown
01-28-2006, 14:07
Hey T-80,
XPN is my favorite radio station! I work at a car lot and I set every radio to 88.5. Cheesewhiz and Wyclif live near me. After work today, a friend and I are going out to the Ruck. Got to take advantage of this weather. It's going to snow on Monday! I hike all the time along the Brandywine near Thompsons Bridge. Canoe from Lenape to Thompsons Bridge also.
Say hi to David Dye and the crew at the Cafe!

Wonder
01-28-2006, 14:18
No prob.....though my only connection to them is serving them a 1/2 price lunch....lol. how would you feel about a get together.....wilimington is near by for me......shucks, thats where I buy everything. Anyway, let me know. I just picked up a very parttime job in claymont to help supplement my hike money.

lbbrown
01-28-2006, 15:08
How about a weekend hike at Hawk Mountain which is in Hamburg PA>near Cabellas. Only an hour and 30 minutes from here. Day hike a Saturday or Sunday or meet there Saturday nite and stay at Windsor Furnace shelter and hike the AT. Big burgers,giant fries, and cold Yuengling in Port Clinton which is only 6 miles from the shelter. Are you going to Duncannon in March?

Wonder
01-28-2006, 16:07
Sounds great, but may be tough for me. I'm a waitress and they do let our kinds out much on the weekends. I may be able to take a sat night and sun off.....I'll let you know. Man, I'd love to get in one more night before march.....I'll see what I can do. I was thinking along the lines of meeting up for dinner and talk one night. I know many of us will be leaving soon, and traded info would most likely help many of us.

lbbrown
01-28-2006, 16:20
Bucca de Beppo-" Main Street at Exton " shopping center Rt100 and Rt 30.
Killer Italian family style food!!!! There is also an EMS store there but why pay PA sales tax when u can shop EMS at Concord Mall Rt 202 Wilmington. Where in Claymont do you work?

mweinstone
01-28-2006, 16:21
as i clicked on to send you a note, the java promp told me you sent me one.sup trail g mamma!?im not spending money these days and im not eating resturant food.im hardening to the point where my food bag in the fridge is the best food in the house. im down to one meal a day and im working all the time flat out. i may have a ride for the 24th of feb! i might be at ems in west philly and ill stop in .in any event im out of philly on or before the 3rd of march. well see each other at some point. my best hopes on these last saturdays before launch.

prozac
01-29-2006, 00:38
Count me in if you can come up with a time and place.

Mouse
01-29-2006, 00:54
Sounds like fun!

Wonder
01-29-2006, 03:29
HOw is next Wed. evening for everyone? ANd what is better for people philly or someplace like King of Prussia?

Cheesewhiz
01-29-2006, 13:07
Sorry for the delayed responce, I was at the PA ruck all weekend. I leave 3/17 to head south so I am pretty clear all evenings and weekends. Next weekend is the Billville winter warmer at the doyle! Im probably going to that. But who knows

Wonder
01-29-2006, 13:10
I don't think the warmer is until march.......

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2006, 13:22
The Duncannon event is indeed 3-5 March, and NOT next weekend!

Mouse
01-29-2006, 13:25
Wed sounds good, either downtown or King of Prussia.

Wonder
01-29-2006, 13:42
It will most likely be downtown, since I don't think that all have cars....... WOuld I sound like a BIG dork is I said lets have fun with this. All bring our stoves and each try different trail a recipe.....fun, yet educational

Cheesewhiz
01-29-2006, 16:34
I'm sorry, your absolutely right my dumb mistake, I knew it was the first weekend in March, I guess I was just IMAGINING next weekend was the first weekend in march in anxiety for my start date.

Panzer1
01-29-2006, 17:24
Hay, Cheesewhiz,

Lucky you left before the rain started. It would have been good proctice for the trail though. Had to tear down the tent in the rain and everything got wet. It's all drying in my livingroom now. Everyone looked like drowned rats. They all woke up at 11am with hangovers to the sound of rain on the tent roof. Had to hit the road without breakfast or lunch. I guess it'll make up for all the beer last night.

panzer

ps Party on

themooseisloose
01-29-2006, 18:26
Hey I live in Philly (Center City) - the Philly peeps meeting up?

ARambler
01-29-2006, 18:36
I'd like to get together. This Wednesday is not too good for me unless you are going to stay out late.
Rambler

Wonder
01-30-2006, 02:20
U all tell me. I am not working on Weds., but I kinda live a 24 hour schedule....I'm in the restaurant biz so I"m all over the place. I can meet up when ever. What is good for everyone else? If you send me a private.....I'll give you my number. ( regional requests only please :jump )

Panzer1
01-30-2006, 22:50
If it's Ok with everyone I would like to join in too. Wednesdays evenings are good for me. I work in center city and get done work at 5:30, so a meeting in the city would work well or somewhere in the suburbs is good too. I live in lower Bucks. Also Friday night or Saturday or Sunday would work.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-30-2006, 23:36
It will most likely be downtown, since I don't think that all have cars....... WOuld I sound like a BIG dork is I said lets have fun with this. All bring our stoves and each try different trail a recipe.....fun, yet educational

Some suggestions:

If you want to do something with the stoves, I would suggest meeting at a state park on the weekend as long as the weather is tolerable.

If you want to skip the stove thing and do something easier, we could meet at a coffee shop on a week night in the city. Wednesday and Friday nights are good for me.

Panzer

Wonder
01-31-2006, 02:11
I know that this is SUper Bowl Weekend......but how would Sunday at Valley Forge Park sound......around noon.( Rain or Shine, gotta break in that gear) Maybe we could all do Mt. Misery. It's about a 3 mile loop, I guess. Takes about an hour. If we did some food after.....we'd all be leaving by 3 at the latest. ANd if people need to take the train.....I live right at the Paoli Train Station (R-5) I can fit some people in my piece of junk. I only live 10-15 mins from the park.

Wonder
01-31-2006, 02:12
All area(yep, Delaware too) are invited!

Mouse
01-31-2006, 09:37
I am largely free except tonight and next Saturday night.

lbbrown
01-31-2006, 10:52
All area(yep, Delaware too) are invited!
Hey T-80..Thanks for including the Delawareans! So far I've found about 10 Whiteblazers in this area that have recently posted:
Trailgirl80
Mooseisloose
ARambler
Panzer1
Prozac
Mweinstone
Cheesewhiz
Mouse
Wyclif
lbbrown

I think Trailgirl80,Mweinstone and Cheesewhiz are leaving Springer this March, is that correct? Sunday would be a great time to hike and cook. Let's "git 'er done!"

Wonder
01-31-2006, 12:58
Yea!~!~!~! Let's do it! Everyone let me know if you need me to drive from the train!!!!

Panzer1
01-31-2006, 14:20
Sunday works for me..

Panzer

Wonder
01-31-2006, 14:25
OK....WE've got Panzer
lbbrown
mouse?
Who else?

lbbrown
01-31-2006, 14:42
Count me for 2 people plus if they want , Wyclif and Cheesewhiz can ride with us.

Wonder
01-31-2006, 15:03
Rock on! I think that we should met in the parking lot near Washingtons headquarters, right of of pa Rt23....... Unless you all know where the covered bridge is......that's the closest lot to the trail head. THe directions might be tricky

CampTim
01-31-2006, 15:49
Hey Philly folks,
I don't think I'll be able to make it to a get-together this Sunday, but I would love to meet up with a group later on. Future weekends should be ok for me, but nights are definitely clear, too. Enjoy the hike this weekend, and good luck to all the people departing this spring (including THIS guy!).

lbbrown
01-31-2006, 16:25
Rock on! I think that we should met in the parking lot near Washingtons headquarters, right of of pa Rt23....... Unless you all know where the covered bridge is......that's the closest lot to the trail head. THe directions might be tricky
We'll meet you at the covered bridge at Rt252 and Yellow Springs Road. Is that the correct covered bridge? I p.m.'d my cell to u yesterday.
The Philly Bunch for Lunch..................See ya

Mouse
01-31-2006, 16:41
I can be at bridge or HQ. :jump

ARambler
01-31-2006, 17:59
I plan to be at the bridge on Sunday.

Note, the Headquarters is OK but I seem to remember signs that says "no picknicking". The sign reminds me of the Woody Boyd quote: "If we didn't lose the Revolution, why are we speeking English?" [who else say we can't we eat in the Washington Headquarters parking lot?] The dragoons might not like us demonstrating our stoves there.
Rambler

lbbrown
01-31-2006, 19:49
What kind of stoves are you bringing?

LB-Jetboil

Mouse
01-31-2006, 19:57
So it is at the bridge?

Wonder
02-01-2006, 02:12
YEah, Let's do the bridge at noon. BY the way, I make no promises about my condition that early( I am in the restaurant biz) BUt we will meet there and move somewhere else after the hike if there is no picnic postings........but they do have a table there.
ps.....llbrown i did not receive that pm........anyone can pm me for my #......See y'all sun.!

wyclif
02-01-2006, 05:55
Thanks for the invite; I'd love to go and hope that things fall into place so that I can go because I'm dying to get out there again since it's been so warm.

However, as mentioned this is Super Bowl Sunday and I've been put on notice that if I don't support the Steelers I cannot show my face in certain households ever again...:D and unfortunately it may require a long drive that will cut into my early afternoon.

We'll see. I wish I could firm it up on half a week's notice but let me know if plans change.

Check your WB messages!

mweinstone
02-01-2006, 18:59
the tv says i can go but he wants me to leave him on anyway.how weird .

Panzer1
02-01-2006, 21:29
In case you don't know your way around, I found some maps of the park.

http://www.nps.gov/applications/parks/vafo/ppMaps/VAFOmap1.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/applications/parks/vafo/ppMaps/general_kiosk_overall.pdf

Panzer

Cheesewhiz
02-01-2006, 21:41
Im not going to make it this time around. Me and my girlfriend are going backpacking in Caldonia State Park for an 18 mile loop.

sternecharles
02-01-2006, 21:59
I'd be happy to meet with prospective/present/past AT hikers who reside in the Philadelphia area. You can contact me at [email protected]

CampTim
02-02-2006, 10:15
Turns out I am free this weekend, and would love to come along. Sadly, I don't have my stove yet (it's being ordered, no worries), so I can't partake in cooking. I hope people don't mind. I certainly don't want to be one to borrow everything when I get on the Trail, but I just might have to for the time being. Anyone else planning on bringing some unnecessary pack weight just for the practice/exercise?

themooseisloose
02-02-2006, 12:44
Hey guys,

I'm meeting friends for the Super Bowl, too, so I'm out.

Have fun!

lbbrown
02-02-2006, 14:59
Turns out I am free this weekend, and would love to come along. Sadly, I don't have my stove yet (it's being ordered, no worries), so I can't partake in cooking. I hope people don't mind. I certainly don't want to be one to borrow everything when I get on the Trail, but I just might have to for the time being. Anyone else planning on bringing some unnecessary pack weight just for the practice/exercise?
Tim- I'll carry about 20 lbs-just tryin to get into shape. I can bring my spare Esbit stove that you can use so you can cook something. Just bring your own pots. Let me know.

Wonder
02-02-2006, 15:34
I have to get something together to cook.....I haven't started drying yet......or build a cozy. But I have my Jetboil!!!

Wonder
02-02-2006, 15:36
oh, I don't know if I'm gonna do full pack.......I should. I"ve gotten really out of shape recently. (thanks to the old woman that ramed my car going 60!!! Thanks Grandma!)

Panzer1
02-02-2006, 16:08
oh, I don't know if I'm gonna do full pack.......I should. I"ve gotten really out of shape recently. (thanks to the old woman that ramed my car going 60!!! Thanks Grandma!)

I hope the injuries were only minor.

Panzer

Wonder
02-02-2006, 16:10
Sprained neck and back. Pretty bad concussion too....... It was in late september, but it took a real chunk out of my training. Feel a LOT better now. ( wish I could say as much for my car)

lbbrown
02-02-2006, 16:17
20-25 lbs. is my full pack weight goal, but I should probably carry 50 lbs. to get in shape! Carried 53 lbs. DWG- Sunfish Pond trail and my knees wont forgive me.

Panzer1
02-02-2006, 16:23
Sprained neck and back. Pretty bad concussion too....... It was in late september, but it took a real chunk out of my training. Feel a LOT better now. ( wish I could say as much for my car)

dammm!!!

Panzer

Panzer1
02-02-2006, 16:30
20-25 lbs. is my full pack weight goal, but I should probably carry 50 lbs. to get in shape! Carried 53 lbs. DWG- Sunfish Pond trail and my knees wont forgive me.

I don't know why you would train with more weight that you are going to carry on the trail. One of the principals of weight training is that you start off light and gradually get heaver and heaver as your body adapts.

Panzer

lbbrown
02-02-2006, 16:34
dammm!!!

Panzer Hey Panzer-Since Trailgirl started this little club of Philly Hikerz, don't you think we should elect her as "Queen" and since she is somewhat injured,we might carry her (part of the way) on a Cleopatra style bed? :clap

Panzer1
02-02-2006, 17:06
I was thinking that we should call this the "Philly Ruck", which would make this our "Ruck Zero". Some day people may look back us as the founders.

Panzer

lbbrown
02-02-2006, 18:46
I was thinking that we should call this the "Philly Ruck", which would make this our "Ruck Zero". Some day people may look back us as the founders.

Panzer 10-4 on the Philly Ruck Zero!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go Philly Pholks-----How many are coming??????:clap

Great Idea Panzer!

Green Bean
02-02-2006, 20:49
I really would love to join and thanks for the invite, but im leaving for Wyoming this saturday and will be gone for 2 weeks, but SOunds like you folks are on to something here.

HOpe it goes well and you all have fun. Would like to here how it went. ~GB

Panzer1
02-02-2006, 22:57
Weather looks good for Sunday.

Partly cloudy with a high of 42.

Panzer

Wonder
02-03-2006, 02:31
I don't know how many are coming for sure.....I"m guessing most likely around 8. There was a lot of intrest, but being the sports holiday that it is...... ( I'm actually kicking myself for not working. I would hae made a bundle) I may have a couple hiking buddies joining us as well. Either way....I"m Uber psyched. As for the queen thing(I've been called worse:jump )....you just have to carry my pack up those peaks...wouldn't want to break a sweat you know!:bse That would be a riot wouldn't it? Could you imagine how dumbfounded people would look..........Man! THe threads that would come of it! HA!!

WHo ever we are...Philly Pholk...Philly ruck..freedom hikers..."thoses wierdo hiker people" We will have our first gathering in just a few days. I"m really looking forward to this and to meeting all of my neighbors who share this same passion.

Wonder
02-03-2006, 02:32
p.s.......I kinda like Philly Hikerz

lbbrown
02-03-2006, 21:17
WOW...The Philly Hikerz sure were quiet today- no comments since 1:30am!

I'll bet everyone is home concocting their recipes for Sundays hike.

Will anyone be upset if I bring a big ole' giant Cheesesteak?

Panzer1
02-03-2006, 23:08
The weather for Sunday is partly clound and windy with winds at 24mph.
42 degrees by noon with a wind chill of 33 degrees. 20% chance of rain.
So dress warm and bring the wind shield for your stoves.

Panzer

Wonder
02-04-2006, 01:59
The wonder of jet boil....none needed. I' just trying to find time to put together a recipe. I work too dam much! Oh, well.....I'm sure that I'll come up with something. Been gettin' ideas of the freezer bag cooking thread........cu sun.!

Panzer1
02-04-2006, 02:32
The wonder of jet boil....none needed. I' just trying to find time to put together a recipe. I work too dam much! Oh, well.....I'm sure that I'll come up with something. Been gettin' ideas of the freezer bag cooking thread........cu sun.!

I didn't know there was a freezer bag thread.

That jetboil will work real good on a windy day.

I was just going to bring something simple like oatmeal and milk/sugar.

Panzer

Wonder
02-04-2006, 11:07
Ramen or rice for me. Went to the "pantry " store the other day and got cheese powder and stuff like that......If I actually get my rear moving before I go to work to day....I might come up with something intresting

prozac
02-04-2006, 11:11
Would love to be there but can't pass up buffalo wings and football. Maybe another time, have fun all. Pr :) zac

Wonder
02-04-2006, 11:30
come on....the game isn't till late! We'll be done by 3 :-)

CampTim
02-04-2006, 11:33
If we're starting at noon, any guesses as to what time we'll be finishing up? These Super Bowl junkies that aren't coming are worrying me cause I want to see the game too, (I'm a junky myself). I just figured there'd be plenty of time to get back for a 6pm game. Of course, that means close to a 7pm start time with all of the hoopla before the game.... Are people planning on getting back to Philly before the game?
And yeah, I'm staying simple for this meal. A Lipton side or something like that. I won't be fed up with backpacking food just yet, so I'm willing to go with the usual stuff.

lbbrown
02-04-2006, 11:53
We should be able to head home by 3..4 at the latest....

T-80...what is the trail like? paved, grass, rock ?

Panzer1
02-04-2006, 12:29
If we're starting at noon, any guesses as to what time we'll be finishing up? These Super Bowl junkies that aren't coming are worrying me cause I want to see the game too, (I'm a junky myself). I just figured there'd be plenty of time to get back for a 6pm game. Of course, that means close to a 7pm start time with all of the hoopla before the game.... Are people planning on getting back to Philly before the game?
And yeah, I'm staying simple for this meal. A Lipton side or something like that. I won't be fed up with backpacking food just yet, so I'm willing to go with the usual stuff.

The game does not start until 6 PM. If we finish at the park by 3 PM that will still leave you 3 hours to get home and get ready for the game. It's very doable. You should even be home in time for most of the pre game show.

Panzer

Wonder
02-04-2006, 15:15
This trail is your typical pa trail. YOu are pretty much going up and then down a small mountain. Some sections are a little rocky(nothing like hawn mt, or anything) We will have the choice of a long up and a short down, or vice virsa. Without a pack, I tend to do it in one hour flat.....so about 3 miles.
I will be bringing a little excess food to try and smoe neet little food things I have found. My mother is my trail chef so she is coming along too(if it dosen't rain) Unfortunatly we cannot pratice water filtration there as the water is deemed poison. Can't even swim or fish......makes me sick! May run into some horseback riders too! The trail we will be hiking intersects the pa horseshoe trail.
I'm going to do full pack, and bring a new tent I just picked up to set up for the first time. ($25!!!!) So bring all of the gear you want to test out as well as a notebook and questions and answers. Philly Hikerz are going to ROCK the trail this year! I'm already game for next week too! Don't have to be in work until 6:30. See y'll tomorrow....call me if you need to.
peace out!:banana

Wonder
02-04-2006, 15:21
Camp TIm......we should hae you on the 3:30....4:30 train out of paoli at the very latest! I have a date with a tv and barstool tomorrow night my self Go STEELERS ( I guess) Give me a ring or p.m. with what train you will be on. My mother will be driving since she have a less "ghetto" car then I do. She is meeting me at my plkace at 11:30. I pretty much live at the train station, just on the other side of 30.....so whe ever you get in I can meet you. I don't think that Matt is coming so I'm just going to be meeting up with you. See you tomorrow!

Heater
02-04-2006, 16:59

You might want to eat something more substantial before the game because you won't have much of an appetite after the Seahags destroy the Steelers on Sunday night. :p

:banana

Panzer1
02-04-2006, 17:18
You might want to eat something more substantial before the game because you won't have much of an appetite after the Seahags destroy the Steelers on Sunday night. :p

Wouldn't it be funny if you had to eat those words. That would be substantial meal for you.

Bring it on.. Panzer

Wonder
02-05-2006, 03:24
Man I hope that you get this in time.....I had to work tonight. I there is a train that arrives in paoli at 1130....so it most likely takes off around 1030. I'll be meeting camptim at the starbucks on the eastbound side around 1140 or so.....if you are there with your pack on.......you got a ride! I"ll pm you wit my number if you don't stil have it. I REALLY hope that you can come......there is always room for one more. Chances are, I can just drive you guys back too!

RobK
02-05-2006, 09:55
Hi you all,

lbbrown gave me the scoop on your hike.
My Cell phone is 302-258-8011
I'm going to hope to be there by 12:00
You can call to see If I'm close...
Hope to be there before

Thanks, Rob

mweinstone
02-05-2006, 17:11
matthewski wishes all a good hike and to all a k summit.and for our sobos,happy spring and i hope you spring to the summit of springer.hey trail woman 8000000, got ride with girl from the fork .so resturant folks do rule.interesting.love you girl.ill slow down sometime and you'll speed up and we'll hang and drink shots of spring water at the trail bar.**** ya later!

Wonder
02-05-2006, 18:18
Hike on Matty! We'll have a blast!

lbbrown
02-05-2006, 20:23
Despite cloudy skies and blustery winds, 7 founding members of the Philly Hikerz gathered today at Valley Forge State Park and conquered a tuff 3 mile mountainous, muddy, horse congested trail. Led by Queen Bee Trailgirl80, who organized this roundevous, and accompanied by her own personal trail chef (her Mother), this group of new friends shared ideas about hiking and camping the AT. The group was also made up of Panzer,Mouse,ARambler of Pennsylavnia and RobK, JD and LB from Delaware. RobK got the award for driving the farthest as he is from Lewes, Delaware. That had to be about a 200 mile round trip. Maybe his prize should have been an EZ pass instead of a cup of hot chocolate(LOL). Anyway, we talked gear, hammocks,Jetboil stoves,pocket rockets, tents and sleeping bags...we could have talked into the night if there wasn't a football game on tonight. Trailgirl80 cooked couscous,LB cooked a cheese omlette in a frying pan on his Jetboil, JD made an Apple Cobbler and RobK made a spicy chicken dish by Mountain House.
Rob also showed his Clark Tropical hammock and LB put up his homemade Rayway tarp. A good time was had by all!
Stay tuned for more info on the Philly Hikerz next get together- coming soon to a trail near you.

RobK
02-05-2006, 21:18
Click on the thumbnail for enlagement - ENJOY

lbbrown
02-05-2006, 21:43
Thanx Rob!

RobK
02-05-2006, 21:43
Thought I could put more than 2 pics in a post?
Also thought I could edit my posts?
Trailgirl80, could you remove my cell number from my earlier post?
Thanks, and I Ditto lbbrown's post about the great day we had today!

Panzer1
02-05-2006, 23:07

Looks like you are going to have to eat those words. Bon Appetite.

Panzer

Heater
02-05-2006, 23:22
Looks like you are going to have to eat those words. Bon Appetite.

Panzer

It was a pretty good game compared many in the recent years. Congratulations to your team!
:clap

And hey... it only took them about a decade and a half to catch up in SB wins with the niners and my team, the Cowboys. Welcome to the club! :D

So... How do you think they'll do next year without the bus? :bse

Big Oz
02-05-2006, 23:30
It was a pretty good game compared many in the recent years. Congratulations to your team!
:clap

And hey... it only took them about a decade and a half to catch up in SB wins with the niners and my team, the Cowboys. Welcome to the club! :D

So... How do you think they'll do next year without the bus? :bse
Austex your a good sport,Hope next year you and me root for the same team in the superbowl (Dallas Cowboys)

;)

Panzer1
02-06-2006, 00:19
Yea, I had a good time too. In some ways this small group is better than the large groups. You get to know everyone and we actually got to do a hike. Looking forward to the next get together and maybe a long weekend hike on the AT.
<o:p> </o:p>
Next time maybe we should get a pavilion for our cookout.
Happy Trails
Panzer

Panzer1
02-06-2006, 00:23
Hay, where did all these happy faces come from??

Panzer

Wonder
02-06-2006, 02:46
ROb....sorry, I don't kow how to remove stuff from threads.....am I able to? Not so good with this newfangled techno stuff (lol) I had a great time today! I learned so much from everyone, and I look forward to out next outting. (maybe I'll be more organized) Have a great night all, and GO STEELERS!!!!

Wonder
02-06-2006, 02:48
ps....thanks for posting the pics! In the words of my favorite animated feline ..........."They're Great!"

Panzer1
02-06-2006, 14:56
Also thought I could edit my posts?
Trailgirl80, could you remove my cell number from my earlier post?

Rob,

she can't edit you posts and neither can you. It is designed so that whatever is said is permanent.

Panzer

calearn
02-06-2006, 15:10
Rob,

she can't edit you posts and neither can you. It is designed so that whatever is said is permanent.

Panzer
If you become a Donating Member, you can now edit all your previous posts.:)

Wonder
02-06-2006, 15:41
LB....THink that there is anyway I cuold get the pattern for your tarp setup?

Fiddler
02-06-2006, 15:57
could you remove my cell number from my earlier post?
Send a PM to attroll or dixiecritter, (moderators) maybe they will remove it for you.

mweinstone
02-06-2006, 18:18
you really did organize well trail fembot.im proud of you all.and guilty i didnt show. just as wel i had a hospital emergensy with my son max and got home at 3am after a night of hell. hes fine false alarm. my ride may have fallen through cause im weird and i had lunch with the girl who offered a ride and i blabbed and was an energy vampire.i hope she still wants to drive. shes a real hiker and may hike a day with me if we do go together. shes a hammok person yoga teacher into chinnese medicine. how coll is that? and im a big blabbig,needy ,.....blabber.must learn to control my hole in my face.god job," eighty on the scale of one to ten girl"

Wonder
02-06-2006, 23:40
It was great meeting you all yesterday. I learned alot. Thanks for the pics, Rob. Had a good time. TG's Mom

Mouse
02-07-2006, 08:45
I look forward to getting together again! :)

lbbrown
02-07-2006, 11:41
T-80 - Just go to www.rayjardine.com (http://www.rayjardine.com) and look at his website. You can see kits for the tarp and quilts. I shredded the patterns after I made the tarp. Ray will track you down and poke holes in it if you copy a pattern (lol) Not really but thats how he makes his money, by selling the kits. Look at the new Rainbow from Henry Shires at tarptent.com. You will need protection from the bugs during your thru. I'd use my tarp this time of year but I haven't made the net tent yet so I don't know how fast it is to set up and how effective it is. The Rainbow is under 2 lbs. and has bug protection and cover. Take a look at it.

lbbrown
02-08-2006, 11:15
I'm going to Pine Grove Furnace this Sunday (5am) to hike north to Fry shelter. Only about 7 miles- any takers?

wyclif
02-08-2006, 12:07
I was sorry when I realised I wasn't going to be able to make it last week (Superbowl party that required a looong drive).

Now I'm really sorry I didn't go, because it looks like everybody had a great time. Oh well, maybe next time, I hope. :)

Mouse
02-08-2006, 13:08
I'm going to Pine Grove Furnace this Sunday (5am) to hike north to Fry shelter. Only about 7 miles- any takers?

I need to see if I am free then.:rolleyes:

Wonder
02-08-2006, 13:09
I'd love too....but I get off of work sat. night a mere 3 hours before that leave time....sorry, I won't be able to join this week. bummer

lbbrown
02-08-2006, 13:20
I'd love too....but I get off of work sat. night a mere 3 hours before that leave time....sorry, I won't be able to join this week. bummer

C'mon T-80 you can sleep on the way there. We can pick you up at Rt 30 and Rt41 at Gap Pa.- Waffle House for a big breakfast and you'll be leading the pack!!!!!!:sun

Panzer1
02-08-2006, 20:37

Sorry, we are having our Valentines day dinner on Sunday. Won't be able to make it.

Panzer

Wonder
02-10-2006, 11:00
So a couple updates. First off....I will be unable to attend on Sunday due to the fact that my caddy took a trip to the "Great carwash in the Sky" yesterday. (not to mention the snow) I will be trying to get together with everone again before my hike.
Reality has hit me this week. I just broke down after work the other day because I relized that I'm really walking away from my life for 6 months. I can't beleive that I'm leaving my guy and my mom for that long......it's a tough realization. Oh, well. I'm just going to try and see him as much as I can before I leave. I'll be intouch soon. I do have all the sundays before I leave off now, so we have to get back out there.

mweinstone
02-10-2006, 11:11
425.00 offered for ride to springer.got one response this morn.hope to leave for trail sap.im payin any one who wants to drive me the cost of amtrack sleeper 325.00,plus the cost of cab and food,100.00$.

Panzer1
02-10-2006, 11:35
425.00 offered for ride to springer.got one response this morn.hope to leave for trail sap.im payin any one who wants to drive me the cost of amtrack sleeper 325.00,plus the cost of cab and food,100.00$.

Can you go over this one more time for me. Why can't you just take the Greyhound to Atlanta for $67.00?

Panzer

ARambler
02-10-2006, 13:18

Really bad idea.
Airtran Airways has kept one-way last-minute fairs to Atlanta really cheap, e.g. $ 84 for Monday. From Atlanta, it is ca. $2 (1/2 hr) train to Springs Station. From there, the Hiker Hostel will pick you up, take you to any stores returaunt you need, give you alcohol/white gas fuel, a night in the hostel, breakfast, and a ride to the trail for $55. Look at hikerhostel dot com

You will be much better rested for the trail if you go this way.
Rambler

lbbrown
02-10-2006, 17:02
I doubt i'll drive the 132 miles to Pine Grove Furnace Park if we get 12 inches of snow. I'll get plenty of exercise shoveling snow for church early in the am.

lbbrown
02-10-2006, 18:04
So a couple updates. First off....I will be unable to attend on Sunday due to the fact that my caddy took a trip to the "Great carwash in the Sky" yesterday. (not to mention the snow) I will be trying to get together with everone again before my hike.
Reality has hit me this week. I just broke down after work the other day because I relized that I'm really walking away from my life for 6 months. I can't beleive that I'm leaving my guy and my mom for that long......it's a tough realization. Oh, well. I'm just going to try and see him as much as I can before I leave. I'll be intouch soon. I do have all the sundays before I leave off now, so we have to get back out there.

Don't worry about your hike. You will be fine! Take your time the first few weeks out there until you're in tune with the trail. Talk to Mouse and Panzer and see what worked for them on their hikes. Put your gear list on WB and get opinions about it. And don't forget...
The Philly Hikerz are behind you!!!!!!!!!!!:sun

Panzer1
02-10-2006, 20:54
Reality has hit me this week. I just broke down after work the other day because I relized that I'm really walking away from my life for 6 months. I can't beleive that I'm leaving my guy and my mom for that long......it's a tough realization.

Just a suggestion: You could try to arrange for your boyfriend to visit you on the trail once a month. You could have your boyfriend "slack" you for a week when you get to PA. That way you would see each other every day for a week. And you could also consider returning home for a week when you get to PA. You could also bring a cell phone and call home often. Your mom could also visit you along the trail in PA, NJ, NY.

Panzer

mweinstone
02-11-2006, 00:12
if you get a sleeper from amtrack you just wake up in gainsvill as freash as a daisy. you stroll ten feet to the cab and your in the park at 10 am and freash as hour old daisys. you dont need a hostel to start the trail. and riding in a car is even better. you arive at the trail sooner and its more fun to drive. im impatient. i cant be in a hostel and a bus and a shuttle and all that .im getting picked up and dropped off. i dont fly that short of a distance .flying is too stressfull to go so short a hop.allhail to the queen.queen girl.first name,trail.xoxomatthewski.

Panzer1
02-11-2006, 03:25
if you get a sleeper from amtrack you just wake up in gainsvill as freash as a daisy. you stroll ten feet to the cab and your in the park at 10 am and freash as hour old daisys. you dont need a hostel to start the trail. and riding in a car is even better. you arive at the trail sooner and its more fun to drive. im impatient. i cant be in a hostel and a bus and a shuttle and all that .im getting picked up and dropped off. i dont fly that short of a distance .flying is too stressfull to go so short a hop.allhail to the queen.queen girl.first name,trail.xoxomatthewski.

It looks like the bed is only 6 feet long. You better not be taller than 6 feet...

Panzer

Wonder
02-11-2006, 04:43
You guys are great....I am coming home for a week in the middle, but I"m just having some jitters now. The car thing didn't help. I just feel that I'm wasting precious hour on septa now......oh, well. In six weeks, I walk away from this stress. I'm really looking forward to that!

Panzer1
02-11-2006, 21:32
You guys are great....I am coming home for a week in the middle, but I"m just having some jitters now. The car thing didn't help. I just feel that I'm wasting precious hour on septa now......oh, well. In six weeks, I walk away from this stress. I'm really looking forward to that!

So, what happened to the caddy?

Panzer

PS. You can sleep/read/ect. on the train..

Wonder
02-12-2006, 00:00
Tranny blew.....car was a piece of crap anyway......I just wanted it to get me 3 more weeks. Oh, well. These things do happen!

Panzer1
02-12-2006, 02:07
Tranny blew.....car was a piece of crap anyway......I just wanted it to get me 3 more weeks. Oh, well. These things do happen!

Well, think of it as one less thing you have to pay for while you are on the trail. No more insurance, tags, inspection, ect. One less distraction from hiking.

Panzer

mweinstone
02-12-2006, 11:02
the first thing one notices when one climbs abord a sleeper car is that the bed doesnt allow a 6 foot person to lay down.only on ones side can you avoid pushing against the bar. and since the bench is actually a toilet,you hear loud splashing and it allways smells like urine. the one super cool thing is that you look out the window from behind the curtins at 6 am and see rush our commuters 12 inches from your nose,looking worried and late.

Panzer1
02-12-2006, 13:17
the one super cool thing is that you look out the window from behind the curtins at 6 am and see rush our commuters 12 inches from your nose,looking worried and late.

Keep an eye out for me...

Panzer

Wonder
02-13-2006, 00:48
Well.....I have off next Sunday. I" thinking 309 to Bake Oven know...then beers at Molly McGuires in Jim Thorpe. We are an AT group....let's hike it! The only bummer is, if I can't convience my boyfriend to come....I need a ride. I do have someone up there who would most likely shuttle us back to our cars......thats my stomping ground..what do ya think?

Cheesewhiz
02-13-2006, 01:43
I think it might be doable, I will have to check with me girlfriend. If its not to dang cold we might go out for the night.

Wonder
02-13-2006, 16:42
awsome! Anyone else?

lobster
02-14-2006, 11:35
Did you Philly folk ever get together or are you still planning a date?

Cheesewhiz
02-14-2006, 12:00
The get together was the first weekedn in Feb. I did not attend because I was out with my girlfriend in Caldonia state park on the AT and other side trails. Basically making our own loop.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=550&stc=1&d=1139933694

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=549&stc=1&d=1139932781

lbbrown
02-14-2006, 12:07
awsome! Anyone else?
What time and where do u want to meet?

Nice pics Cheesewhiz.

Wonder
02-14-2006, 12:59
I'm thinking of taking off around 11am. I will let you all know if I can get my boyfriends car for the day......or even better, bring him along!

Panzer1
02-14-2006, 16:46
I'm on call all this week until Sunday night, so that would make Sunday difficult for me. If they called me and I was far from home, I would have to drive all the way back home to fix the problem. But, they usually don't call me on Sundays. So, I'll wait and see what I can do. Won't know until end of week what I am going to do. I'll check with my boss on Friday and see what the chances of being called are.

Panzer

Cheesewhiz
02-14-2006, 17:25
taking off as in: leaving paoli at 11AM or at trail at 11AM

Panzer1
02-14-2006, 17:44
How many miles are we talking about hiking??
It looks like 5.7 miles one way.

Panzer

Cheesewhiz
02-14-2006, 17:50
Hey panzer I took your advice and got maps!

Wonder
02-15-2006, 02:17
I would think stepping off around 11-11:30. I haven't checked mileage....just thought up 2 road crossings I know. THe bummer is things are not looking promising for me transportation wise......but I"m working on it. I'd say lets do the Pinnicle loop, but I've done that in ice and I will never do it again. I spent most of my day trying not to break my head open

Jester2000
02-15-2006, 11:58
Hello all! Jester here, checking in from the rockin' metropolis of Roslyn, PA. I'm off to Ireland today, so I'll be incommunicado for a bit, but just wanted to extend an invite on this thread to all of you.

Billville Winter Warmer, March 2,3,4 in Duncannon at the Doyle. There's a separate thread with all the info, or send Chomp a private message on this site.

Hope to see some of you there.

Jester

Mouse
02-15-2006, 12:16
This Sunday I can make it. Where do you need a shuttle from? I am coming from NW Philadelphia.

lbbrown
02-15-2006, 12:29
I would think stepping off around 11-11:30. I haven't checked mileage....just thought up 2 road crossings I know. THe bummer is things are not looking promising for me transportation wise......but I"m working on it. I'd say lets do the Pinnicle loop, but I've done that in ice and I will never do it again. I spent most of my day trying not to break my head open
If you park at the Hamburg resevoir and hike up the fire road, its not as dangerous as trying to climb the rocks. Its about a 1.5 mile gradual uphill fire road to the top of the ridge then turn right and flat walk to Pinnacle.

lbbrown
02-15-2006, 12:30
I'll bet T-80 can't eat a large french fry at Port Clinton!

lbbrown
02-15-2006, 12:33
Hello all! Jester here, checking in from the rockin' metropolis of Roslyn, PA. I'm off to Ireland today, so I'll be incommunicado for a bit, but just wanted to extend an invite on this thread to all of you.

Billville Winter Warmer, March 2,3,4 in Duncannon at the Doyle. There's a separate thread with all the info, or send Chomp a private message on this site.

Hope to see some of you there.

Jester Thanks Jester...Ive already talked to Vicky..Some of us plan to be there!
Have a safe trip and kiss the Blarney!

Panzer1
02-15-2006, 13:32
Does anyone know the trail conditions up there???

Panzer

lbbrown
02-15-2006, 14:28
Does anyone know the trail conditions up there???

Panzer I just spoke with the friendly folks at the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary. There is about 6 to 8 inches on the ground. With the melting and freezing at night, the trail will certainly be sloppy and slippery.All the more reason the use the fire road. Bring your golf shoes!

Cheesewhiz
02-15-2006, 16:01
I don't think im gonna make this one either, I am making a trip down by da beach mon. I am gonna try to see my grandfather before my hike.

mweinstone
02-15-2006, 19:48
got the ride. waiting .leaving sat,arrive amicalola,sun.

Panzer1
02-15-2006, 20:45
got the ride. waiting .leaving sat,arrive amicalola,sun.

Who with??

Panzer

Panzer1
02-15-2006, 20:46
Hey panzer I took your advice and got maps!

Smart move..

Panzer

Wonder
02-16-2006, 12:18
I am so sorry that I started this trail idea and may not be able to go. Please plan what you would like to do, and I'll join in if I can. It completly depends on what my BF has up his sleeve. ( He is realizing that I"m leaving so) I'm trying to talk him into going.........hope to see you soon!

lbbrown
02-16-2006, 13:09
Count me out also. I have to jackhammer the basement floor to fix a pipe. Can't go to Duncannon if it aint fixed!

Wonder
02-16-2006, 15:30
Bummer.....

Mouse
02-16-2006, 18:18
So it is off?

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2006, 18:30
Just wanted to take a minute and remind you guys (and invite all of you) to the Billville weekend at Duncannon, March 3-5. It's about 120 miles from Philly to the Doyle, and takes around two hours.

Hope to see some of you there!

lbbrown
02-16-2006, 19:34
Just wanted to take a minute and remind you guys (and invite all of you) to the Billville weekend at Duncannon, March 3-5. It's about 120 miles from Philly to the Doyle, and takes around two hours.

Thanx Jack...Got it all mapped out!!!!! Philly Hikerz Eastbound for the Partay!

As a friend of mine once said "Boogie till ya' puke" ! Then I chugged a fifth of Jack Black. Good thing I puked or I would have died. But that was in another life.

Panzer1
02-16-2006, 23:56

Yes, thank you Jack, I've been thinking of goint to that.. I am free that weekend and would like to attend. See you there.

Panzer

PS I would like to bring my wife but she insists that there are rats at the Doyle. I told he no, that isn't true. What do you think??

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2006, 00:02
I've stayed at the Doyle on more than a dozen occasions and never have seen any signs of a rodent problem.

The new owners are very hard-working, fine, conscientious people, who've worked very hard over the past few years preserving, maintaining, and upgrading the building, and they deserve our thanks for this.

Panzer, I hope to see you there, and I hope your wife joins you!

ARambler
02-17-2006, 00:03
Panzer

PS I would like to bring my wife but she insists that there are rats at the Doyle. I told he no, that isn't true. What do you think??

Well Jack and I were there last year but nobody called ME a rat.

BTW you might make better time if you went west from Philly.
Ramber

Panzer1
02-17-2006, 00:09
I am so sorry that I started this trail idea and may not be able to go. Please plan what you would like to do, and I'll join in if I can. It completly depends on what my BF has up his sleeve. ( He is realizing that I"m leaving so) I'm trying to talk him into going.........hope to see you soon!

Well, I can't make it this weekend either, because I'm on call this week and I just heard that there are going to be people working on Sunday and they might need me.

Maybe we could make it next Sunday. (I won't be on call)
Next Sunday might be better anyhow because the snow should be gone by then. Also it gives us another week to organize. What do you think?

Panzer

Panzer1
02-17-2006, 00:13
I've stayed at the Doyle on more than a dozen occasions and never have seen any signs of a rodent problem.

The new owners are very hard-working, fine, conscientious people, who've worked very hard over the past few years preserving, maintaining, and upgrading the building, and they deserve our thanks for this.

Panzer, I hope to see you there, and I hope your wife joins you!

Ok, she's over the "rats" thing, but now she saying that there's dead men at the Dyle.

Panzer

lbbrown
02-17-2006, 10:10
Well Jack and I were there last year but nobody called ME a rat.

BTW you might make better time if you went west from Philly.
Ramber
Very observant Rambler! That was a test and you passed. See ya there!

Wonder
02-17-2006, 12:55
I guess this week is off.....sorry guys. I'll be spending sometime this week doing trail prep. You'll be sure to hear from me if I have any problems

Ribeye
02-17-2006, 13:07
whoo hoooo, Philly hikers. I'm in Manayunk, anyone still going to Duncannon in the begining of March?:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

lbbrown
02-17-2006, 13:49
whoo hoooo, Philly hikers. I'm in Manayunk, anyone still going to Duncannon in the begining of March?:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana
Welcome Ribeye! I've added your name to my list of Philly area Hikerz. 16 so far. Several are going to Duncannon.

Panzer1
02-17-2006, 17:24
I guess this week is off.....sorry guys. I'll be spending sometime this week doing trail prep. You'll be sure to hear from me if I have any problems

We never did see your equiptment list. Are you going to post it?

Panzer "the nosey"

Panzer1
02-18-2006, 18:37

Actually I wanted to congratulate you on starting this thread. You have over 2,600 reads by now and over 150 posts.

Panzer

Mouse
02-18-2006, 22:07
Hear, hear! :banana

Wonder
02-19-2006, 13:18
aw, thanks guys! It was a purely selfish move. I just wanted to meet someother people who were into this. I'm sure you know that most people in this area think that roughing it meens the HOliday Inn. Now, I don't feel so alone in this. It's going to be a huge help for me next month knowing that I have this Philly HIkerz comunity....no, brotherhood, behind me when I leave. YOu have all been a huge help already.
WHo else from our little group is doing a long section/Thru hike this year? Or even another adventure of sorts?
I think that CampTim is dong a thru, and Mouse, aren't you doing an Ocean Voyage this year?

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2006, 13:21
I'll be out there with ya Trailgirl! when do you start?

Wonder
02-19-2006, 20:04
Stepping of the morning of3/20

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2006, 20:07
Im sure we'll run into each other

Panzer1
02-19-2006, 21:41
Stepping of the morning of3/20

That will be one month from tomorrow. Time is starting to get short. In 2 days you will be "sub 30".

Panzer

Panzer1
02-19-2006, 21:58
I don't think its too soon to start thinking of a short AT hike for next Sunday 2/26.

How about this: leave parking lot at rt. 309 around 11AM or so, and head south for 4.1 miles, across good/level ground to the Allentown shelter and then have a picnic/late lunch there. They have a nice shelter and a picnic table there. Stay for about 1 hour and then return back the same way. I figure it will take about 2 hours to get from the road to the shelter, one hour there, and then 2 hours back. That makes for a 5 hour trip. There is a stream there by the shelter so you can filter/treat your own water.

This would be shorter than the other hike from rt 309 north to Bake Oven Knob Shelter as that hike is 5.9 miles one way. (11.8 round trip)

Panzer

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2006, 22:25
further past alentown shelter is the tri-county lookout no? And I belive there is parking in between ins't there? the hike from 309 to allentown shelter is kinda boring and i've done it a bunch of times.

Tommy Bahama
02-19-2006, 22:54
Good to hear there's a hiker comunity from Philly. My My (trail) name is
Tommy Bahama thru hiker from 1999 I live in South Jersey just outside of phillly, Since my thru hike I have thought about the trail every day since.
XPN keep on rockin. BAHAMA 99:sun

Panzer1
02-19-2006, 23:19
further past alentown shelter is the tri-county lookout no? And I belive there is parking in between ins't there? the hike from 309 to allentown shelter is kinda boring and i've done it a bunch of times.

The Tri-County view is another 1.3 miles south of the Allentown Shelter.
The last mile of which is very rocky, but it does have good views.

If we use 2 cars and hike north there are several options. Including: there is parking lot on the AT (Bake Oven Knob Road) at about mile 8.5 south of the Lehigh River. (This is just a little south of the Bake Oven Knob vista and shelter). We could park one car here and the other at the river where mountain road meets rt 873 and the AT. This would give us a 8.5 mile north hike. You would be hiking over the PA turnpike at one point. It very rocky in parts though. There would be a big downhill at the end with an easy drive back to the AT parking lot.

And yea, same here, I've hiked most of the sections in PA several times myself.

Panzer

lbbrown
02-20-2006, 11:58
How about from Hunters Run (road access) short hike to Fry Shelter then about 7 miles south to Pine Grove Furnace with a stop at Pole Steeple for an AT 2006 sendoff for Cheesewhiz,Mouse and Trailgirl80.

Jester2000
02-20-2006, 12:23
Thanx Jack...Got it all mapped out!!!!! Philly Hikerz Eastbound for the Partay!

Followed your advice direction-wise and am now in Ireland. Have settled in at the pub most like that at the Doyle.

RobK
02-23-2006, 22:41
Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch
Four days, three nights; Mizpah hut, Lake of the Clouds hut and Madison hut.

Yo Philly Hikerz - I am GOING to do this! Anyone else always want to hike the huts? Oh by the way, Mt. Washington IS the first thing after breakfast on the third day! It's only 1300' above Lake of the Clouds hut.
The first day is 6.5 miles, second 4.8 miles, third 7.2 miles, fourth 8 miles.

Here is the link to all the rules - info - $$ - etc for the huts.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/huts-lakes.cfm

The Huts will be just under $270 for the three nights - includes Dinner and Breakfast.

I'm thinking the last week of July or the first of August. With the 4th night being a motel to clean up in (and drive home Thursday morn) the I'm estimating $500. including everything - food & gas - start to finish.

Reservations need to be made for the Huts.

Rob

Wonder
02-24-2006, 02:10
Sounds good....Due to financal issuses.....I regret to inform the Philly Hikers that I will not be persuing a Thru hike this year. I will be hiking for about 1 1/2 - 2 months then returning to enroll in school to complete my degree. I do want to hike several sections this year. I think that exploring the hut system would be fun.

RobK
02-24-2006, 07:36
TG80,

You'll never regret the degree....

The AT will always be there....

You'll love your month and a half hike.

Sounds good to me. But that's coming from someone who's still waiting for a window of opportunity - to walk north from Springer, is still a dream.

Rob

Panzer1
02-24-2006, 12:10
Yes, I agree with RobK. Education is a higher priority. You must take care of that first. A degree will help move your life forward, and is the best use of your time right now. The trail will still be there when you get out of school. Until then, you will have one more thing to look forward to. Plus a 2 month section hike doesn't sound that bad anyhow.

Panzer

lbbrown
02-24-2006, 13:51
Sounds good....Due to financal issuses.....I regret to inform the Philly Hikers that I will not be persuing a Thru hike this year. I will be hiking for about 1 1/2 - 2 months then returning to enroll in school to complete my degree. I do want to hike several sections this year. I think that exploring the hut system would be fun.
Happy Birthday T-80!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let the thru-hike reschedule get you down! It ain't goin' nowhere. Enjoy your Birthday!:banana:banana:banana:banana From the 16 members of the Philly Hikerz!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Tried to put 16 bananas but only allowed 4)

Wonder
02-24-2006, 15:36
Awww.... Thanks! And just so everyone knows, my 25th year was a good one all and all. I think that I'm going to do it again! So........Yea! I"m 25 again!

Cheesewhiz
02-24-2006, 18:08
Happy Birthday to ya TG-80, My birthday is on Monday the 27th. Yeah, agreed don't let the reschedule get ya down. I am looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

Mouse
02-24-2006, 19:30
A little is nicer than nothing. And there will be that much finished next time you have time and $$ for hiking. :)

RobK
02-24-2006, 22:16
Feel like hiking the Presidentials again?

I'm looking at the decent north off Mt. Madison.... 2000' in one mile?!

I hope I still have my knees with me.

Gulp.

Rob

Mouse
02-24-2006, 23:14
Come down mad as a wet hen and it is a breeze.

Well, sort of. I was ready to quit at Madison Hut and the crazy hutmistress told me it was an easy trip to the next campsite. HAA! I was ready to strangle her before I was halfway down that mess and did not get to the bottom until dark was setting in.

Panzer1
02-24-2006, 23:26

What school are you going to? When do you start? What are you majoring in?

Panzer

Wonder
02-25-2006, 14:16
Delaware County, June, No Clue

RobK
02-27-2006, 06:53
TG80,

If you liked biology, nursing! Big demand, big $$, you can live anywhere. Or the medical field in general. Good job stability

My two cents,
Rob

Wonder
02-27-2006, 11:27
My mom is a Nurse......after seeing what she deals with, not a chance in hell. I am looking at either environmental of stage lighting design. I had a nack for it in a past life.

Wonder
02-27-2006, 11:28
Happy Birthday Camp

Wonder
02-27-2006, 15:01
Now that my keyboard isn't acting so dumb......HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAMPTIM!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheesewhiz
02-27-2006, 15:21
It's CampTim's B-day also! well Happy Birthday to ya CampTim, it's mine aswell.

lbbrown
02-27-2006, 15:46
It's CampTim's B-day also! well Happy Birthday to ya CampTim, it's mine aswell.
Happy Birthday Cheesewhiz and CampTim!!!!!!! I sang Happy birthday to Miss Janet and Trailgirl80 but sorry guys, I only sing to the ladies!

We will have to do Birthday shots at the Doyle this weekend- ok?

Panzer1
02-27-2006, 23:22
My mom is a Nurse......after seeing what she deals with, not a chance in hell. I am looking at either environmental of stage lighting design. I had a nack for it in a past life.

Whatever you pick, be sure it pays good money before you get into it.

Panzer

CampTim
02-28-2006, 10:12
If any of you Philly hikez were tuned into WXPN this morning (Tuesday) you might have caught the select-a-set, which was a shout out to my thru-hike from one of my co-workers! Don't be fooled though, they weren't actually my three favorite songs, but rather three that our office rips into on a daily basis. Now I'm just afraid that I'll end up with the trail name "Hooky Junk".

And on another note, from a former post - did I miss something? It's my birthday? Maybe in the Mad Hatter very merry unbirthday sort of way, but I'll be celebrating my real birthday on the Trail, probably somewhere in PA!

Wonder
02-28-2006, 10:38
I'm sorry camp tim and cheesewiz.....I got dates mixed up! And yes, I heard the shout out......I was serving a table at the time and had to giggle. Also had TWO whiteblaze visiters at World Cafe Live this past week! It was awsome! I'm done there in two weeks, but everyone should come check out the venue.......it's a really cool place!. Oh, and did anyone else catch Appalachian Impressions on PBS this weekend? It's really a great program....

Wonder
03-03-2006, 02:32
Everyone have a GREAT time at the warmer this weekend. Do a shot for me!
P.S Eight days until I"m done working!!!!!! I'm getting psyched

RobK
03-03-2006, 07:55
TG80,

Are you going to give us a journal to follow you with?

I doesn't matter if your not a thru-hiker...

Remember, when you get to trail towns, you can read our entries in your guest book!

Rob

Cheesewhiz
03-03-2006, 18:17
TODAY WAS MY LAST DAY OF WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I leave in TWO WEEKS

unfortunately i will not be attending the warmer.

Wonder
03-04-2006, 02:40
Cheesewiz.....when is your date....I leave on the 20th.

Cheesewhiz
03-04-2006, 08:33
If I hike the Approach trail I start on the 21st if I don't I am starting on the 22nd. Are you hiking the approach? Im not sure yet.

Wonder
03-04-2006, 14:11
No, I'm taking the forest service road and back tracking....I think that I have a map if you would like it

Cheesewhiz
03-04-2006, 16:33
yes please, my email is [email protected]. Do you know Mike Mott or Kevin Cassidy in paoli

Wonder
03-05-2006, 04:59
no sorry....Maybe to see them. WIth my work, I kinda have a public face around here. I'll send that to you as soon as I get it back from my mom. How are you getting there?

RobK
03-05-2006, 08:19
It would be great if you two did start off together - we Philly hikers could follow along on CW journal. Anyway, best wishes to you both!!!!

Cheesewhiz
03-05-2006, 08:52
My Mom, Dad, Girlfriend and other family are taking me to TN on the 17th near Damascus. From there I am spending a couple days in TN clearing my head and spending time with my grandfather after that my uncle is taking me to GA mon or tues not sure yet. I don't think im gonna do the approach trail. Even though I hate hiking the same mile twice in one day.

How are you getting down to GA?

Wonder
03-07-2006, 14:17
My mother is driving me down on the 18th then I'm stepping of early on the 20th. I'll be in the area on the 19th, so I"ll pm you my # so you can call me if you want to step of together!

Wonder
03-10-2006, 19:17
Oh man....it's real now. I just finished my last day of work, and I'm getting ready for my goodbye party tonight. I'll admit, I got the shakes a bit when I was signing out of work today. I can't beleive that this is really happening........and that I just quit my job to go for a walk lol

Panzer1
03-10-2006, 21:47
Oh man....it's real now. I just finished my last day of work, and I'm getting ready for my goodbye party tonight. I'll admit, I got the shakes a bit when I was signing out of work today. I can't beleive that this is really happening........and that I just quit my job to go for a walk lol

Hay!! how come we weren't invited..

Panzer (the party animal)

Wonder
03-11-2006, 02:50
YOu were....I"m sorry, I told LB over the phone, I've just worked a lot this week. I just got home from the shindig. It was pretty nice......many old friends I haven't seen in a lomg time. We had this living room type area over a bar....it was like home but with endless beer, a juke box, and I learned how to play beer pong!

lbbrown
03-11-2006, 10:21
YOu were....I"m sorry, I told LB over the phone, I've just worked a lot this week. I just got home from the shindig. It was pretty nice......many old friends I haven't seen in a lomg time. We had this living room type area over a bar....it was like home but with endless beer, a juke box, and I learned how to play beer pong!
Sorry we didn" t get to the Berwyn. I had to chaperone 13 year olds at the bowling alley til 11:30. I'll bet u had a good time. Maybe we'll fondue.:sun

CampTim
03-11-2006, 10:36
Congrats to Cheesewhiz and Trailgrl on your last days of work! Isn't it such a lovely feeling? I had mine a week ago and spent this past week doing some physical and mental preparation. And, as did Trailgrl, had an awesome goodbye party, at the Irish Pub! Just yesterday I flew home to Boston to work with my mom who's playing the awesome role of support person/camp chef along the way. I'm going out for an overnight tomorrow on the MA Midstate Trail. I was hoping it would be cold out to get a feel for camping out in freezing cold weather, but this hot spell has made that impossible it seems. Anyway, it's nice to be at home and working with my mom on dehydrating my meals (bbqed pulled pork is wafting through the house right now!!) and finalizing everything in my pack. I fly down to GA on Thursday, staying with my aunt and uncle in Atlanta, and then headed to Springer (sans approach trail...what is it with Philly Hikerz and not doing the approach??) on the morning of the 18th. I'm so psyched, nervous, restless, etc. How did this dream of mine that I've had for seven or more years all of a sudden end up being one week away? Hope to see you guys out there. Good luck with your last few days.

Wonder
03-11-2006, 11:24
BBQ pork.........good idea. Yeah, it is wild that we are 1. all leaving around the same time 2. that we are all here on this thread. I hope to run into you and Cheezewiz both...just remember, my trail name is Wonderfoot. COuldn't stand going by my email address out there

lbbrown
03-11-2006, 11:44
BBQ pork.........good idea. Yeah, it is wild that we are 1. all leaving around the same time 2. that we are all here on this thread. I hope to run into you and Cheezewiz both...just remember, my trail name is Wonderfoot. COuldn't stand going by my email address out there
Maybe you should change your Whiteblaze name just before you leave. Then you can post from the trail when u r in town. :-? I can see Philly Hikerz trail magic......cheesesteaks and soft pretzels!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Yuengling (PBR for L.Wolf)!!!!

Cheesewhiz
03-11-2006, 14:19
Whiz, with. please!

lbbrown
03-11-2006, 15:51
Whiz, with. please!
The only kind of cheese is whiz cheese! with fried onions , of course!
And hot and sweet peppers and a layer of provolone.

CampTim
03-11-2006, 17:49
If someone showed up with a pizza steak with provolone, bell peppers, and onions I think I would hike the AT every single year just for that one moment of pure bliss. :jump

Wonder
03-12-2006, 01:56
Pure philly....cheesesteak hoagie.....or if from Ginos....wiz, wit. Oh, man....now I gotta go back down town for some grub

Wonder
03-12-2006, 02:03
ik....feelin' dumb....how do I change my screen name......checked options, but I can't find it

Panzer1
03-12-2006, 03:29
ik....feelin' dumb....how do I change my screen name......checked options, but I can't find it

I don't know if you can change a screen name...
You might have to be Trailgirl80 forever..

Panzer

Wonder
03-12-2006, 12:34
oy........

lbbrown
03-17-2006, 13:25
Happy St. Pats Day and Good Luck!!!!!!

Trailgirl80,Cheesewhiz and CampTim starting their thru-hikes in the next couple of days.

Have fun and keep us informed of your progress.:sun

Mother's Finest
03-17-2006, 13:40
I second the best wishes to all the Philly hikers on the trail this season....

best of luck and enjoy everyday.

peace
MF

Mouse
03-17-2006, 14:06
Have a nice trip! :banana

lbbrown
03-17-2006, 14:15
I second the best wishes to all the Philly hikers on the trail this season....

best of luck and enjoy everyday.

peace
MF
:welcomeI've added your name to the Philly Hikerz roster if thats ok with you.
When we have our little get-togethers, I'll send a message.

lbbrown
03-17-2006, 14:21
Philly Hiker mweinstone has been on the trail about 2 weeks. Anyone know how he is doing?

Wonder
03-17-2006, 14:37
I haven't heard anything since he hit franklin.....someone posted a pic of a register entry

Mother's Finest
03-17-2006, 15:07
thank you lbbrown....

glad to be back in the game. I have been out for about ten years.

if anyone notices a crazy long hair walking in Fairmount Park/Chestnut Hill area of Philly with a Lowe Contour III pack, do not be alarmed. That is just me exercising.

Peace
MF

Wonder
03-17-2006, 19:03
WooHOo!!! Go COntour III!

CampTim
03-17-2006, 21:39
I just finished up my final dinner of London Broil, mashed potatoes and asparagus (my pee is going to stink up the Trail). The brownies are in the oven and ice cream is in the freezer. Oh man it's going to be good.
I leave tomorrow, hoping to start up from Rt. 42 at about 9am. The pack is all set, weighing in (with full water and food) at 34lbs, which I'm pretty happy with. And my knees are pretty psyched about the hiking poles I recently got, too!
I'll be sure to post along the way.

See you in the mountains!

Will

Panzer1
03-18-2006, 01:56
Good luck CampTim..
Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing..

Panzer

Wonder
03-18-2006, 02:07
Goodnight, and farewell. Tomorrow morning at 10am I depart for Georgia. I will be stepping of at springer on Monday. My pack is not quite as lite as CampTIms' but only plus a couple pounds(made a bad tent choice) I guess that i'm as ready as I'm gonna be. I'll be in touch.......
ps....the melting pot dinner that I had tonight will b the source of food fantasy for months to come!

RobK
03-18-2006, 11:37
Best Wishes to you BOTH!!
Wishing great weather, good health and... well, the other great people will be there waiting for ya. Hike well!

Looking forward to following your journal Tim

Take care,

Rob

Panzer1
03-18-2006, 17:43
Good luckTrailgirl/Wondefoot, have a good time. It looks like you got some good hiking weather, not too cold.

Panzer

Mother's Finest
03-18-2006, 17:46
trailgirl, good luck...if you used to work at World Cafe Live, I know your Chef there. Carl is a great guy. I was also down there a couple months back to see Boris Garcia.

have a great hike.
peace
MF

Wonder
03-25-2006, 20:10
Hello all....just checking in. I'm hip hopping my may up the trail so that I can see as much of it as possible. I've met up with some great people(met Cheesewiz yesterday at Neel's Gap) Now I"m hiking out of Hiawassee with Nokia. I'm digging this Nomad thing! Talk to ya'all soon! ~~Wonderfoot
ps...mothers finest. If "Ronnie" was your server...the one who stayed after drinking with the band....that was me!)

Mouse
03-25-2006, 20:49
Have Fun Hiking!:banana

CampTim
03-30-2006, 15:52
Hey Philly Hikerz,
It's CampTim, now known as Freeze Out, checking in. I'm in Fontana, staying at The Hike Inn. Kind of pricy for my budget, but very nice to have a big bed and bathroom all to myself. I'm making sort of absurd time, and my knees are starting to let me know it. So a slow day today and tomorrow. But the weather has been amazing and I'm loving this new job!

Freeze Out

lbbrown
03-30-2006, 16:47
Good to hear from the hiking Philly Hikerz! Those who can should start making plans for Trail Days. Let us know where on the trail you think you will be so we can pick you up and bring you back. Do you think you'll be in PA or farther north by then?

Wonder
03-30-2006, 19:20
Fontana! Dang! I'm actually back in Hawaissee. I've been doing work for stay here at the new cloud 9 hostel. It rocks because it is a vacation rental and trout farm.....they let hikers use it cheep when it's not rented out.
Life could be worse...fly fishing...jacuzzi...pool table...ping pong. I'm jetting out of here the end of next week and hopping upto NOC ( they've hired me on for a week) I will have to leave my buddies Nokia and Livin' after we go to the Franklin, NC hiker fools bash this weekend, but we shall all meet again. I'm really loving this nomads life! I pay my own way up the trail, and when I run out of work....or the bug gets me...I just hike on! Catch up with you all soon!
Wonderfoot out!

lbbrown
03-30-2006, 19:51
I hear that place has 10 pound trout--is that true?

Jester2000
04-08-2006, 21:47
Just a note to any Philly folk on the trail or here and planning on heading down -- make sure to stop by Billville while you're at trail days. It was good to meet some of you at the Warmer, hope to see more of you in Damascus. Peace and Chicken Grease. . .

Jester

HIKER7s
04-10-2006, 06:44
Just checking in here. Good luck to all the Philly Area Hikers going out this year. You should all be gone by now.

lbbrown
04-14-2006, 19:35
All Philly Hikerz on the trail---Check in please! What's your 10-20? OVER.

Wonder
04-14-2006, 19:36
I got the farm record the day I left! 14lb. 7oz. Yep, its going on the wall! I'm in Gatlinberg at the moment...we beat our selves up in the somkies, so we decided to take in a night here. This place is wild!
I'm heading back out tomorrow, and hiking to trailfest in HotSprings....then try to find work again. Talk to y'all soon!

lbbrown
04-14-2006, 19:43
I need some ideas for the Philly Hikerz tent at Trail Days. Billville always puts on a good show.

Wonder
04-17-2006, 13:06
CHEESESTEAKS!!!!! Oh yeah, pretzels too! Im r tanding bear and having a blast! Can't wait too see y'all...oh,we have a new member.....philly john fom the NE

CampTim
04-19-2006, 13:32
Hey Philly!
I made it to Damascus two days ago after a bout with a thunder/lightning storm and deluge, had a nice night at The Place, then zeroed, moved to Mt. Rogers Outfitters Hostel for the second night. Great night with amazing pizza at Sicily's and drinks at Dot's. Woke up this morning to pouring rain and thunder, decided to zero again! Ahh it's so nice to relax...
Freeze Out

RobK
04-19-2006, 20:58
Congrats to all Philly Hikerz!
CampTim, my last hike was Mt. Rogers and Greyson Highlands - I hope the weather is good to you, or was.

You all sound like your having the time of your lives - you are blessed!

Hey I have reservations at the huts (Presidential range, NH) starting July 25 at Mitpah Hut. It would be great to find one of you there!

Take Care

Rob

Wonder
04-23-2006, 16:37
Hello all! Well' I survived hiker fest! Good times had by all......if they remember them? I'm up here in Hot Springs to work for a week at Elmers( LB, I won't be there until monday) We had a little hikers commune at the Hot Springs Campground and were treated to meals by Malas Magic maddness and mayhem. I also got to run in to our friend ABRambler .....he brought really good beer...Thanks,Man!
And keep your eyes pealed for some new names.....I'm running into a lot of Philly Pholk. Happy Trails all!!!

CampTim
04-29-2006, 12:00
In Pearisburg zeroing. The library closes soon, gotta make it quick. Meeting the girlfriend in Daleville in 6 days. Booyah!

Cheesewhiz
04-30-2006, 19:14
Im in Erwin with my girlfriend right now and will get back on the trail on Mon. the 1st at Carvers Gap and will be in Damascus by the 6th.

Wonder
05-01-2006, 15:48
Hello, I'm in Erwin for the next couple days and then I'm pushing on to Kincora......can't wait for trail days!

Wonder
05-11-2006, 17:22
Ahhhhh...sweet Damascus! Just got here today! Was a wonderful hike, and now I'm here......this trail thing R*O*C*K*S!!!!

galaleemc
05-12-2006, 12:50
Hey Sharon

I am home from CA tell you about later............Can you come home with us after Damascus on the 21st and work for us until June 12ish?:-?

Call us...........make sure we get your number!

Had a great through hiker Spyglass here for 5 nights!

Laura
Cloud9
706 896 8959