PDA

View Full Version : Parking around Rt 4

brian.spigel
05-18-2017, 11:11
Howdy,

I'll be hiking the LT north of Maine Junction this August. I'll be parking somewhere between Rutland and Killington, then hitching to the northern terminus and hiking sobo. With a nero day, I estimate this'll take 12 days, though I'm weekend hiking my local Finger Lakes Trail this spring and summer to get back into overnight shape, so the mileage is subject to change.

Anyway, can we have a discussion about parking options near the LT intersection with Rt 4?

Feel free to correct any of this, but what I've gathered so far is:
-Parking at the Inn at Long Trail for up to a week (for guests only?)
-Unmonitored parking across the street from the Inn
-Unmonitored parking at the trail crossing, across the street from Fox Commons Condos

Would anyone try to talk me into paid parking for security reasons? Or is "it's Vermont" the reply to that?

Thanks!

Brian

Slo-go'en
05-18-2017, 11:50
I would go with the lot across from the Inn. Any trail head parking has it's risks, just take the usual precautions of not leaving anything of value in the car and don't lock the doors.

brian.spigel
05-18-2017, 13:04
DON'T lock your doors? I've never heard that advice. This would mean that thieves break car windows in order to look for contents to steal, correct? But they can see the contents through the windows, and if I left the back seat down to show the trunk is empty, that would achieve the same effect, would it not? Because if the car itself is stolen, then I don't care about the window.

Honestly, how often do hiker cars get broken into between Rutland and Killington?

Best,
Brian

Slo-go'en
05-18-2017, 13:35
I never lock my doors. If they want to go and rummage around, I'd rather they not break a window. Anyway, I always own 10+ year old cars no one would want to steal and if they do, good luck to them.

Deadeye
05-18-2017, 19:43
I agree with the suggestion to park in the lot across form the Inn, and that any trailhead parking has risks. Perhaps this lot has less risk than some others due to its proximity to a 24/7 business and heavy traffic - park near the road in full view, not in the back of the lot. I also use my "winter" car when parking, and try to find people like Slo-go'en to park next to, but I do lock my doors. One more hint, an empty gun rack and NRA bumper sticker, prominently displayed, is about as good as a fancy alarm system.

Frankly, I've never had a problem with parking my car for a day or several in VT, NH, and NY, and only once seen the aftermath of a break-in. In that case, there was clearly a lot of tempting stuff in the car.

brian.spigel
05-19-2017, 12:30
Thanks for the input. I'll plan to park across from the Inn, and I've always locked the doors on my unattractive car.

One more question, since this will be late August, is the parking maybe going to be a nightmare? Should I have a contingency plan like finding a hotel with pay-to-park? Or will I probably be okay just winging it?

Thanks again!
Brian

Slo-go'en
05-19-2017, 12:38
Thanks for the input. I'll plan to park across from the Inn, and I've always locked the doors on my unattractive car.

One more question, since this will be late August, is the parking maybe going to be a nightmare? Should I have a contingency plan like finding a hotel with pay-to-park? Or will I probably be okay just winging it?

Thanks again!
Brian

If I remember right, the lot across from the Inn is pretty big. A lot bigger then the typical trail head lot. Unless it's a weekend during foliage season, shouldn't be a problem.

GoldenBear
05-19-2017, 13:57
> If I remember right, the lot across from the Inn is pretty big

This photo from Rohland should give a good idea of how large it is:

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_VTsection4/100_0871.JPG

brian.spigel
05-22-2017, 11:13
I'm confident that's big enough. Thanks.

hikermiker
05-23-2017, 07:37
The Inn at Long Trail will let you park in their lot (away from the building) for $1 or $2 a night even if you are not a guest. When you finish your hike ask for the hiker rate & stay there the night.

peakbagger
05-23-2017, 11:38
Over the years the trailheads with the most publicized break ins in VT seem to the more rural ones north of Mt Mansfield. Generally the break ins seem to be clustered a bit which implies some locals working the lots. The RT 4 location is quite visible with lots of traffic going by which tends to reduce break ins.

enduranceron
08-09-2022, 11:22
I'll be doing a section from Lower Cold River Rd to the Maine Junction next Monday. Anyone know if I can park at the end of Old Coach Rd? From the satellite map it looks like a parking area but don't see it referenced anywhere in any LT/AT parking info I find. For now, planning to park at Rte 4 crossing and do a road walk back to car.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/43%C2%B039'58.4%22N+72%C2%B050'55.0%22W/@43.6719456,-72.8424447,1538m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d43.66621 45!4d-72.848619