PDA

View Full Version : Two Days To Go: Last min questions

FooFooCuddlyPoops
05-18-2017, 14:52
Hey guys and gals,

I am hiking the At from Damascus - rt 603 fox creek coming this weekend. It's about 40 miles. I calculated that It will take me about four days to hike the trail, ten a day. I will be back to the car by the end of the fourth day. (Bringing extra dinner just in case)

Can you guys look over my vital gear pieces and pinpoint any problems? Not going to post all my gear, I just want to know if my clothing, and such will be good enough. I am a novice backpacker. I have hiked overnight, but never multi-night before. This will be the longest trip I have ever done, and also in a new area entirely.

Weather seems to be decent: High 70's, Low 50's. Possible thunderstorms. Rain all day at least one day.

Gear:
Netless Hammock System (Dialed in over the past year of usage.)
Tarp
20o down sleeping bag that I use open as a TQ.
30o Under Quilt

Note: I have a bug net, but wasn't going to bring it because it has to be fixed due to a pretty decent rip in the fabric.
Sound okay in going netless?

Cloths:
Work out Capris (hike in)
Work out Short sleee shirt (hike in)

Long Sleeve shirt (sleep in/cold weather)
Long Heat Tech Leggings (sleep in/cold weather)

Rain Poncho.

Camp Flops

One down jacket that can get me to about 30o degrees without special undershirts.

Note: I sleep warm, and am carrying warm gear mixed with my sleepwear just in case it gets chilly. Sound okay for Grayson highlands area? Should I add a cold weather cap, gloves, etc? I am inexperienced with the weather on the balds.

The rest of the gear is typical. I am bringing two smart water bottles and a Platypus 2l water bag. Think thatsover kill for water storage?

ChuckT
05-18-2017, 15:18
Last Oct found water scarce south of Damascus. I would _definitely_ take the Platypus! You don't have to carry it full, water is heavy 😨, but I start looking for a refill when I've got 1 quart left in mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
05-18-2017, 15:53
Mosquitos would be your biggest threat with out netting, hard to say how annoying they would be.

You cross a fair number of water sources between Damascus and Tomas Knob shelter, all of which should still be flowing well. After Thomas Knob, water will only be available at the shelter locations.

Looks like Monday is when the cold front gets there and triggers the best chance of showers and T storms, then cools down with a low of 49 at Tomas Knob shelter, which is probably where you will be.

bigcranky
05-18-2017, 16:24
That's a nice section. Doing it with another hiker next weekend. Your clothing and sleep gear list looks fine for the expected weather. If you have a head net for mosquitos you might bring it (or make something from some netting). I don't find it all that buggy even in summer, but I haven't tried sleeping with no bug net :)

Hope you enjoy it.

scope
05-18-2017, 16:58
Set of dry clothes to put on when what you're wearing is wet? Granted you have to put the wet ones back on to hike in. Goes a long way to staying warm.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
05-18-2017, 19:12
Thanks guys. I am bringing a small head net. And the sleeping cloths are my dry cloths unless it gets super cold and I haven't use them to keep wamr.