PDA

View Full Version : Want to do a section near Gatlinberg but want to avoid GSMNP shelter restrictions.

Slymer
05-18-2017, 16:57
Going on a vacation with family at the end of September to Gatlinberg. I want to do about 30 miles of hiking while there however, I like sleeping under my tarp and don't want to deal with the Smokies shelter restrictions. Any ideas would be great, I wanted to do Clingman to Fontana but again the shelter rules in the park are a little of a turn off.

TNhiker
05-18-2017, 17:04
here ya go----tons of non shelter options in the park...

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/gsmnp-map_june14-complete4-2.pdf

Tundracamper
05-18-2017, 17:20
here ya go----tons of non shelter options in the park...

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/gsmnp-map_june14-complete4-2.pdf

Are you referring to the campgrounds? I only see two near the AT, and those are near the edges of the park. I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I just assumed I would have to do short section hikes and sleep in town with the family. Have zero interest in sleeping in a shelter.

Slo-go'en
05-18-2017, 17:26
Are you referring to the campgrounds? I only see two near the AT, and those are near the edges of the park. I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I just assumed I would have to do short section hikes and sleep in town with the family. Have zero interest in sleeping in a shelter.

Then your not going to be hiking the AT through there. There are 900 miles of trails in the Smokies, 70 of which are the AT. Plenty of other places to go to, things to see and places to camp.

Or skip the Smokies and all their regulations and hike Davenport Gap to Hot Springs instead. That's about 30 miles and has some nice stuff like Snow Bird and Max Patch.

Runner2017
05-18-2017, 18:01
you can reserve backcountry camp sites and you don't have to use shelters. only thruhikers are required to stay in shelters.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

bigcranky
05-18-2017, 18:30
Most of the backcountry camping in the park is at designated campsites, that don't have a shelter. Also, 95% of those sites are not on the AT. There are plenty of options for loop and one way hikes through the Smokies that don't require staying in a shelter.

TNhiker
05-18-2017, 20:05

OP wrote--"I want to do about 30 miles of hiking while there however, I like sleeping under my tarp and don't want to deal with the Smokies shelter restrictions."

there are about 70 ish miles of the AT in the park and as slo has pointed out----there are about 800 miles of trails in the Park, leaving 730 or so miles of trails, with about 80 or so land based backcountry sites...............theres only on non AT shelter in the Park, so there are plenty of places to sleep in a tent or under a tarp........

TNhiker
05-18-2017, 21:05
i'll throw out an option that includes a tarp night on the AT and another campsite...

park at twentymile ranger station..

go up twenty mile trail to the AT and hang a left...

stay at site 113----which is the only non shelter site on the AT in the Park...

next day----head over to gregorys bald......

spend night at 13....

come down wolf ridge....

not sure mileage but you'll see alot on this loop-----creeks and have some views...

you could even include some views at shuckstack but that would require doubling back to get to 113.....

capehiker
05-18-2017, 21:23
you can reserve backcountry camp sites and you don't have to use shelters. only thruhikers are required to stay in shelters.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

This is incorrect with regards to the AT portion of the Smoky's. Non-thru hikers must reserve their spot at a shelter or camp site. Thru hikers may stay at either a camp site or shelter as long as it is along the AT (and must give way to a section hiker if the shelter is full).

To the OP: I just thru hiked through the Smoky's a few weeks back. When you get to the shelter, wait long enough and there will be enough people to fill the shelter and you can tent. A thru hiker will be more than happy to have your shelter spot. I found the Smoky's to be more difficult in the internet hiking world than actually on the trail.

TNhiker
05-18-2017, 21:57
When you get to the shelter, wait long enough and there will be enough people to fill the shelter and you can tent.

this is incorrect.....

first of all----you shouldnt suggest that someone break the rules, just to get around not sleeping in the shelter..........

what happens when rules are broken, in regards to the Park? well.....they are just going to add more rules.....

also----the only people that can tent outside of a shelter are thru hikers (and that's only when the shelter is full)..

by the Park's definition of a thru hiker----which is different than what most think of a thru hiker-----is that one must start AND end 50 miles outside of the Park....

OP does not qualify.....

sooooooooooo...............dont break the rules........its not that hard...

capehiker
05-18-2017, 22:25
this is incorrect.....

first of all----you shouldnt suggest that someone break the rules, just to get around not sleeping in the shelter..........

what happens when rules are broken, in regards to the Park? well.....they are just going to add more rules.....

also----the only people that can tent outside of a shelter are thru hikers (and that's only when the shelter is full)..

by the Park's definition of a thru hiker----which is different than what most think of a thru hiker-----is that one must start AND end 50 miles outside of the Park....

OP does not qualify.....

sooooooooooo...............dont break the rules........its not that hard...

All I'm saying is when there's 20 people at a shelter that holds 12, the most important aspect is that the shelter gets filled first. If a thru hiker and a section hiker want to swap spots, it's not the end of the world. Saw it happen twice when ridge runners were present. Nobody called the police and the spirit of the shelter rules were upheld.

Tundracamper
05-19-2017, 06:59
I read somewhere back where rangers tend to patrol those areas and actually check permits. Not sure if want to have to deal with that. As for finding other trails, this post is in an AT forum. My plan will likely be to just skip the park, unfortunately.

madgoat
05-19-2017, 09:12
I have been hiking in the smokies for 20 years and have only had my permit checked once..... by a ranger leading a group of volunteers half a mile from Cades Cove. I think he was just showing off to his fresh faced volunteers.

Regardless, the definition of integrity is who I am when nobody is looking. Please follow the rules, even if they are easy to break and even if people think the rules are dumb. This makes it better for everybody.

Tennessee Viking
05-19-2017, 09:52
Hike/loop a AT section but find campsites just off trail.
Mountains to Sea route
Benton MacKaye route

HooKooDooKu
05-19-2017, 10:54
i'll throw out an option that includes a tarp night on the AT and another campsite...
park at twentymile ranger station..
go up twenty mile trail to the AT and hang a left...
stay at site 113----which is the only non shelter site on the AT in the Park...
next day----head over to gregorys bald......
spend night at 13....
come down wolf ridge....
not sure mileage but you'll see alot on this loop-----creeks and have some views...
you could even include some views at shuckstack but that would require doubling back to get to 113.....
Great loop... did it with my then 8yo son in the month of October. Shuckstack is only 1/2 mile out of the way (1 mile out and back) if you go to Shuckstack before heading to 113.

But I didn't consider this loop in response to the OP because it's less than 20 miles in total. However, Gregory Bald did come 1st to mind.
So an alternate loop I'll toss out is Abrams Falls, Hannah Mtn, Gregory Bald, Gregory Ridge, and Forge Creek Rd. IMHO, this loop gives you the best water fall in the park (Abrams) and the best campsite in the park (#13 below Gregory Bald). When I did this loop, I parked at the Gregory Ridge trailhead, walked to Abrams Creek trail head (3 miles) and stayed at campsites #14 and #13.

If you want to be closer to Clingman's Dome, a larger loop I've done was Clingman's Dome, AT (towards Silers Bald), Welch Ridge, Jonas Creek, campsite #70, Forney Creek, Whiteoak Branch, Lakeshore to the Tunnel at the end of the road to nowhere, 3/4 mile road walk to Noland Creek, campsite #62, Noland Divide to Clingman's Dome Road, turn RIGHT - away from Clingman's Dome and in 3/4 miles you hit Collins Gap where you can pick up the AT and hike it back to Clingman's Dome (turn left and it's a 1-1/2 mile road walk back to Clingman's Dome parking lot).

Slymer
05-20-2017, 02:16
Thanks for all the great responses. I have been looking into SLO's suggestion of Davenport to Hot Springs. Just save the Smokies when I finally have the ability to attempt a thru.