PDA

View Full Version : Silly pet question

Wonder
01-28-2006, 14:15
I was wondering if anyone has had the issue that their pets don't know them when they get home? I have a cat, and she is very special to me.....I just want to know if she will still know who I am after 6 months?

lobster
01-28-2006, 17:50
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">She won't know you so you better stay home!!!!!!!</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
S

Hikes in Rain
01-28-2006, 18:15
Oh, she'll know you, all right. But she'll be sure to try to make you believe she won't.

Decades ago, I got married and moved to Alaska. My parents insisted on keeping my white cat, who was already seven or so. Seven years later, when I came back, she knew who I was, crawled into my lap and started purring. She lived with me another six years.
<table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr width="100%" unselectable="on" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%"></td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
S[/quote]

Hammock Hanger
01-28-2006, 20:28
I was wondering if anyone has had the issue that their pets don't know them when they get home? I have a cat, and she is very special to me.....I just want to know if she will still know who I am after 6 months?

My cats rubbed all over me when I first got back, then ignored me for 2 days. Then all was back to normal. Well one wouldn't let me out of his sight for a while and laid on my lap everytime I sat down. -- They will still love ya when ya get back. I think it is harder on dogs... but they have long memories as well.

dixiehiker
01-28-2006, 23:20
We have 3 doggies, and I always miss them sooooooooo much when we go on a trip! But, they ALWAYS remember me! I've read a lot on animals, and they have INCREDIBLE memories. In fact, I just saw a study that suggests they have lifelong memories. People don't give animals enough credit! They are HIGHLY intelligent. In fact, I think we'd do good to take a few lessons from them sometimes!

They should know you just fine when you return. I just suggest that while away, you have someone that you really trust taking care of them. I have a family member housesit and stay with my puppies! I think it's best for them to stay in their own home when possible! Leave the caregiver all your vet emergency numbers, enough food, any medicines with directions and other important things. Also, leave them something to sleep with that smells like you...like a shirt or something. That gives them comfort when they can't be with you.

For me, my trip is a success when I know my furry babies are taken care of! And, when I get home and see them, it's a joyful reunion!

Have fun!
-dixiehiker

dizzyT
01-28-2006, 23:24
Long trips have never seemed to affect my fish in any way

Wonder
01-29-2006, 03:36
I have lived with my boyfriend and my cat for about the same amount of time.....6 years. The have a love hate relationship.....they love to hate one another. I still think it best that she stays here with him. WHo knows, maybe they'll have some kinda thing goin on when I get back

Ridge
01-29-2006, 03:41
Dogs have family, Cats have staff. Yes they will remember you, but don't expect any cards from them while you're gone.

bogey
01-29-2006, 09:07
Long trips have never seemed to affect my fish in any way I started to say it, then I thought, "Naww, just close the window, and go on." but then ...what the heck?

I never take fish on the trail.

there I said it, I'm sorry.

Mouse
01-29-2006, 10:05
Sometimes I am tempted to take our pet cockatiel backpacking. She loves looking around and meeting people. But even the shelter mice would rather disconcert her at night, let alone the bears. Oh well.....

hikerjohnd
01-29-2006, 10:23
I have lived with my boyfriend and my cat for about the same amount of time.....6 years. The have a love hate relationship.....they love to hate one another. I still think it best that she stays here with him. WHo knows, maybe they'll have some kinda thing goin on when I get back

I'm willing to bet she will have something going on with him when you get back. The hand that rocks the cradle... or fills the food dish. My wife had a cat (it was her mothers cat) who didn't like anyone - and I was NOT a cat person. I spent 3 months house/cat sitting while she was away and the cat warmed up to me and we became the best of friends. She lived to be 21 years old (I met her when she was 11) and I still keep a picture of her on my desk.:)

hikerjohnd
01-29-2006, 10:24
I never take fish on the trail.

Then what do you use for bait? :D:D

Doctari
01-29-2006, 14:56
Judging from my 4 cats: They will be soooo glad you are back for about 2 - 3 hrs, then ignore you for up to about a week, then back to normal.

For non cat owners: "Ignore you" means, sit right in front of you, with thier back turned so you know they are ignoring you, usually after getting your attention.

My wife just spent about 35 hrs gone to the hospital, the largest cat called for her for about 24 of those hrs. Acted estatic she was home, he is now ignoring her.

The rat however hasn't left her side all day. but then again, the rat is at least 2x smarter than the cats.

Doctari.