PDA

View Full Version : Funky dumplings

zelph
05-20-2017, 09:49
Here’s the basic recipe for the Funky Dumpling Mix:
2 cups all purpose flour
2-1/2 TSP Bakers’s Corner Baking Powder
1/2 TSP salt
Mix above ingredients together and add whatever dry seasonings you may prefer.
I’m experimenting with 1/3 cup of the above ingredients when using the Toaks 650 Light pot. I put the 1/3 cup mix into a Ziploc bag and then add 1 TBSP margarine. I mix the margarine into the mix by kneading the sides of the Ziploc till margarine is absorbed into the mix and then I add 2 TSP water and knead that into mixture. Now it’s ready to put into hot soup. noodles and chicken or hot blueberry compote. Simmer until surface of dumplings looks matte, not glossy. Test with toothpick till no mix sticks to it. The dollops of mix will float on top of the hot liquid.

Work with this mix at home on your stove top until you are comfortable taking it on a hike.

zelph
05-20-2017, 20:59
Tomorrow I'll use coconut oil in place of margarine to mix in with the dry mix. Coconut oil is trail friendly and tastes better.

dudeijuststarted
05-20-2017, 22:34
"Mustard on em's good to me" - Slingblade

zelph
05-20-2017, 23:41
"Mustard on em's good to me" - Slingblade

Good thought. I can mix the batter and then curl it around a frankfurter and then em-pail it onto a stick and roast it and then put mustard on it to enjoy :D

The recipe for the basic mix is almost the same as for "bannock"

dudeijuststarted
05-21-2017, 10:18
Hungry now.

Farr Away
05-22-2017, 14:02
If you're putting them on blueberry compote, I'd add cinnamon &/or nutmeg to the dumplings. For savory, garlic &/or a little chicken bouillon granules.

-FA

zelph
05-22-2017, 17:36
I modified the basic dough recipe. I added 2 packets of Stevia and upped the baking powder to 2 TBS and deleted the seasoning. I decided not to add seasoning to the mix, this way I can use it for dessert or meals.
Using my Toaks Light 700 I boiled 2 cups and then added 1 cup MT House, stirred the mix in for 1 min and shut off heat. I used 1/2 cup(instead of 1/3) of dough mix and 1 TBS butter into a Ziploc and kneaded it till mixed and then added 1 TBS water, kneaded that till it released from walls of ziploc. While the dough was still in the ziploc, I flattened it out into a 3/8″ thick disc. I put the disc into the pot and turned on the heat to simmer. simmered it for about 5 min. turned heat off and let sit till cool enough to eat. That took at least 15 min. dumpling was cooked to perfection. 700ml of food is a good, hearty meal for a 235 pounder guy like me.
I used a small 3″ simmering disc to insure no scorching inside pot. I’ll get a photo of it and submit later or tomorrow.

i can add the cinnamon to the corn starch for desert dumplings. Thanks Farr Away

rocketsocks
05-22-2017, 20:19
Thinking about your funky dumplings and crossing over to the bakepacker thread, adding a we bit of baking soda to the water in which the dumplings simmer for a minute will change the texture to that of a pretzel or bagel when finished off in the oven...foods for thought and your personal consumption, don't forget the mustard!

[though I've never tried this particular system in the field]

rocketsocks
05-22-2017, 20:21
...can also be stuffed with cheese, we make pretzel bites here using Brie, but I supposed most cheeses would work.

Wise Old Owl
05-22-2017, 20:22
Tomorrow I'll use coconut oil in place of margarine to mix in with the dry mix. Coconut oil is trail friendly and tastes better. please do not do that... any oil that stays clear and liquid at room temp is OK, Those oils other than butter, that stay solid should be avoided... hope that helps Zelph.

rocketsocks
05-22-2017, 20:29
Poppycock!

devoidapop
05-22-2017, 21:04
Poppycock!

Agreed. My wife bakes with coconut oil all the time. You can substitute just about any saturated fat for butter. Shortening, lard, cocoa butter. They all work. It's just preference and taste.

rocketsocks
05-22-2017, 22:39
Agreed. My wife bakes with coconut oil all the time. You can substitute just about any saturated fat for butter. Shortening, lard, cocoa butter. They all work. It's just preference and taste.granted none of its real great for us, but I made a apple pie last night and can't help but wonder what it would look and taste like had I used liquid oils verses butter and a bit of vegetable shortening to cut-in the flour...that's my favorite part!

rocketsocks
05-22-2017, 22:45
...it would prolly be all gluteny and not lite and flaky dough. In all fairness dumplings on the other hand would likely turn out just fine, and with a name like "funky dumpling" I'm assuming anything goes.

zelph
05-23-2017, 08:18
That's whats great about funky dumplings....anything goes :-) Roast it on a stick and then throw it into the pot. Scoff them down with blueberry compote. Just be creative and have fun!

zelph
05-23-2017, 12:59
Made lunch using coconut oil. Flattened the dough down to 1/4" thick. 2 cups to a boil, dumped in 1 cup Mtn Hse, turned heat off. Mixed dough, flattened it and put into pot and then simmered for 4 min. transfered from pot to ceramic bowl to cool down faster so i can enjoy once I make this post :-)

I used the chicken flavoring packet from Ramen noodles. The photo shows the simmer disc that I used.

rocketsocks
05-23-2017, 14:55
That looks darn tasty!

zelph
05-23-2017, 15:00
The taste was ok. coconut oil flavor was a little strong, needs more Ramen flavoring ;-) dumpling was completely cooked and adds substance to the meal :-)

Next test will be outside at the local forest preserve using an alcohol stove.

JFKinYK
05-23-2017, 16:45
Any tips for cleaning out the ziplock after? That is always the least fun part, and why I avoid dumplings.

rocketsocks
05-23-2017, 17:12
Any tips for cleaning out the ziplock after? That is always the least fun part, and why I avoid dumplings.
And a wee bit more flour, cleans it right up.

rocketsocks
05-23-2017, 17:14
...add

ughin' schpell check!

zelph
05-23-2017, 17:52
I'd clean it out just like I do my pot :D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwLQcqukSug

zelph
05-25-2017, 07:54
The new Missouri Mix may also be a basic "Bisquick" which can be used for the Funky Dumplings.

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/GH1055

New Missouri MixBarbara J. Willenberg and Karla Vollmar HughesDepartment of Food Science and Human NutritionWhy a new Missouri Mix?

For a healthier you! This all-purpose baking mix is lower in salt than the previous version. Also, whole wheat flour can be used in place of all-purpose flour to increase the fiber and nutrient content of the mix. The new Missouri Mix offers more versatility in the tested recipes provided.The new Missouri Mix is as easy to use as a commercial all-purpose baking mix. In addition, it generally costs less to prepare mixes at home than to buy the commercial product. The main reason for the cost saving is that you supply the labor. Keep in mind that sales on commercial mixes or the regular price of store brands or no-frills mixes may be less than the cost of ingredients to make the mix at homeExampleOne 20-ounce box of commercial all-purpose baking mix costs $1.50. Since 2 ounces of commercial baking mix is equivalent to 1/2 cup, 20 ounces equals 5 cups. Therefore: $1.50 ÷ 5 = $0.30 per cup. (Compare to the cost of 1 cup of Missouri Mix.)Use our Missouri Mix calculator.

Large batch of Missouri MixRequires a very large mixing bowl or tub for mixing5-pound bag of flour or 20 cups13/4 cup baking powder2 tablespoons salt2-1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder3-3/4 cups shorteningMakes 27 cups mix.1All-purpose, whole wheat or any combination of both.

Smaller batch of Missouri Mix

8 cups flour (all-purpose, whole wheat or any combination)1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking powder2 teaspoons salt1 cup nonfat dry milk powder1-1/2 cups shorteningMakes 11 cups mix.

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Sift to assure even distribution of ingredients. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mix is the consistency of cornmeal.Preparing and storing Missouri MixAccurate measuring can mean the difference between a prize-winning product and a failure.

Measure dry ingredients in standard dry measuring cups or standard measuring spoons. Spoon ingredients lightly into the cup and level with a spatula. Be careful not to hit the side of the measuring cup with the spoon causing dry ingredients to settle and measurements to be inaccurate.All ingredients to be measured should be lump-free. Sifting will remove lumps from baking powder.Solid ingredients, such as shortening, should be packed firmly into a flush-rim measuring cup so that no air pockets remain. A rubber spatula is useful to get all the shortening out of the cup.When the baking powder is added, stir mix at least one minute to thoroughly distribute.Always stir Missouri Mix before measuring to redistribute the ingredients. Spoon lightly into a cup and level with a spatula. Do not sift Missouri Mix before using.

If stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry location, Missouri Mix will stay fresh for several months.Suitable storage containers for Missouri Mix include: glass jars, plastic containers and bags made for freezer use.The shelf-life of Missouri Mix can be extended by packaging in moisture- and vapor-proof containers and refrigerating or freezing.If whole wheat flour is used, Missouri Mix must be refrigerated to prevent flavor changes due to the higher level of fat in whole wheat flour.Before storing, label Missouri Mix with name of product, date prepared, use-by date and other information you will need to use the Mix.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

West Verginia University extension

Master Baking Mix

¹⁄³ cup baking powder 1 tsp. cream of tartar 1½ Tablespoons salt 9 cups all-purpose flour¼ cup sugar 1¼ cup oil Sift baking powder, salt, sugar, and cream of tartar into flour twice.

Add oil, cutting in with pastry blender until mix is consistency of cornmeal. Store in air-tight container in cool,dry place or in refrigerator. Can be stored for 6 weeks.To measure Master Mix, pile it lightly into a cup and level with a spatula. 12 servings For a non-hydrogenated (free of trans fat)alternative to traditional shortening, try Spectrum Organic Shortening. You can order the product directly from the Web (www.spectrumorganics.com (http://www.spectrumorganics.com)).

dzierzak
05-25-2017, 09:08
There seems to be a problem with the Missouri link - it gave me a 404-page not found. This one seems to work. http://extension.missouri.edu/p/GH1055

zelph
05-25-2017, 09:19
There seems to be a problem with the Missouri link - it gave me a 404-page not found. This one seems to work. http://extension.missouri.edu/p/GH1055

Thank you. I corrected the link :-)

zelph
05-25-2017, 14:45
Today for lunch I made Ramen noodles. Added 1 TBS corn starch to water to thicken it up a bit. Got lazy, added 1 Thomas thin bagel on top after it simmered for 2 min. Let sit for 10 min. and enjoyed. When you stop to resupply get a small package of thin bagels for the next 2 days. The bagels come in different flavors. ;)

zelph
05-28-2017, 20:52
The same dough can be used to make Woof'ems. You can make your own Woof'em stick out of a dowel rod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5OOpPbKp6o

zelph
01-22-2019, 12:18
It's Funky Dumpling weather :D

Trambo
01-22-2019, 15:23
I was doing a bit of experimentation earlier this week, and came up with my own version of the Funky Dumpling. Mine's not really connected to yours in any way other than the name. I hadn't seen the thread prior to today, but the name of Funky Dumpling just fits.

Since I was in the middle of my sourdough starter's infancy, it wasn't proper to bake bread with. I decided that I shall make some sort of fried dumpling. Since I love frying in coconut oil, that is what I did here. I use the refined stuff. It is less healthy than the virgin, but I like that it doesn't impart flavor. I actually use refined coconut oil in place of butter for everything (even popcorn). You just add salt, and it tastes like butter, at least in my opinion. Well, these little dough dumplings came out good.

When salted, there was a tiny taste similar to salt and vinegar chips. No worries though, as this taste was only noticeable when fresh. These little dough balls were so tasty, that I had to dehydrate them. They dried up very nicely, and have been added to a few of my meals. I have a feeling that these are going to rehydrate into nice little dumplings. I decided to dehydrate them whole, as I really didn't want bread crumbs. Since I'll be making them for dehydrating intentionally, I will make them all on the smaller side next time. When I added them to my meal, they picked up a dry coating immediately. Now they have a flour/seasoning/starch coating on the outside. I also feel that leaving them whole allows me more options for food preparation.

I like the option of being able to pick out the fried dumplings. This allows me to cold soak my food, and not lose my dumplings to mush. I would cold soak with about 60 percent of the final water, and then I would boil the other 40 percent of the water. I would add the boiled water to my cold soaked food, and then I would add in the dumplings, give it a stir and allow to reconstitute for a couple of minutes.

Someone gave the suggestion of Gnocchi in place of dumplings and biscuits. That's a decent idea, but more an idea for resupply than for my food prep. I did dehydrate some biscuits to try a homemade biscuit and gravy recipe, but I haven't tried it yet. That's one of the dried foods that went into the freezer.

zelph
01-23-2019, 22:28
middle of my sourdough starter's infancy, it wasn't proper to bake bread with.

Did the fried dumplings retain their "sourness" ? I have not been able to accuire a liking for sour dough in any form. My wife recently made a rye bread starter that had the "sour" taste and smell and eventually the bread was made and had the "sour dough" taste embeded :eek: No matter how hard I tried, the taste lingered.....bummer. Peanut butter was not sucessful at covering it up.

Trambo
01-24-2019, 17:33
Zelph, I would suggest that actual sourdough bread has very little of that sour kick that purchased sourdough often has.. Actual sourdough is just flour and water, while mass produced versions have vinegars and such added to replicate the taste. As for your wife's sourdough journey, there are many things that can impart that flavor. I've found the recipes over at theperfectloaf.com are the best. The way he maintains the starter is amazing, but it is more work.

The sour taste was slightly there when the fried dumplings were fresh, but that quickly mellowed out. I'm not big on sour bread, but I ate the entire mini loaf with no butter or anything slathered on it. It's also important to have a sourdough starter that's a specific age, because they change over time. Mine took between 1.5 to 2 weeks until I cooked with it. I would have your wife look at these three articles:
https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/
https://www.theperfectloaf.com/a-return-to-basics/
https://www.theperfectloaf.com/managing-starter-fermentation-produce-best-sourdough-bread-ever/

zelph
01-25-2019, 12:01
Thank you Trambo, I passed those links onto my wife. She appreciates additional info on bread making. :-)

Trambo
01-25-2019, 14:34
Well Zelph, you maybe shouldn't have said that .......

I'm going to now give you the links to the videos that transformed how I viewed bread baking. These are all about tartine break, and all but one of them are of the same guy. The last is a simplified version of this same process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5kKeKSfyOE - Story - start here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rFijZwp1qU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6Vir93bp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIIjV6s-0cA - masterclass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksgdnd36Icc - manufacturey

zelph
01-25-2019, 21:11
I watched the first video and then had to go to the kitchen for a slice of bread :-)(1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white flour)

I'll have my wife watch them and she'll be grateful :-) Thank you!

Trambo
01-25-2019, 22:02
I followed that general method of making bread, and I made the first load of bread that I could eat without anything slathered on it. Just plain, it was amazing ..... and the loaf still could be perfected. That first video showed me so much of his passion for baking. It was inspirational.

zelph
01-26-2019, 12:57
His passion for a loaf of bread is hard to comprehend:) His worldwide travels to learn more on the process of making a loaf of bread is amazing. The end results is his amazing "manufacturey"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksgdnd36Icc

Traffic Jam
01-26-2019, 15:00
I’ve had my sourdough starter for about 3 years. Sometimes it sits on the cabinet for days, sometimes it stays in the fridge for weeks. My observation is the sour taste is mild to nonexistent when the bread is baked the same day and stronger if the dough is allowed to ferment for several days.

These are some of my favorite bread recipes. The first is easy with little to no sour taste. The second is earthy, hearty, and a favorite of mine for backpacking (though definitely not UL). I have let it ferment for longer than instructed and it’s delicious.

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/02/07/search-perfect-loaf/

https://breadtopia.com/whole-grain-sourdough/

Trambo
02-13-2019, 17:57
Zelph, any results on the bread baking? I would imagine those videos have had your oven cranked up to max for at least a couple of times. =)

zelph
02-13-2019, 21:46
Have not been able to. Busy formulating/testing an Esbit cook kit for a friend that has a dexterity disability "Essential Tremor" The kit is made up of pieces from a Trangia Cook kit.

https://trangia.se/en/other-camping-sets/