PDA

View Full Version : Slightly Handicapped hiker Trip Plan review needed

LostandFound
05-21-2017, 09:06
I have stage 4 osteoarthritis in my knees. I can't walk all day, like I use to. I really miss being on THe AT, so I'm trying to plan a trip around 1.) very short hikes to scenic AT campsites. 2.) camp overnight & then drive to a new awesome location. Finding parking that is close will be crucial.
Here's what I'm thinking...

Day 1- Grayson Highlands: park at Massey gap, hike up to Wilbourn ridge & camp in the little valley, by the horse trail & water source. I camped there years ago & im still dreaming about it. It was awesome. I think the little valley is Wilbourn. I believe it's about 4 miles. That is the very most miles I can do, and It scares me. My wife will really enjoy seeing the ponies.
Day 2- drive to Roan Mtn. Park at Carvers Gap & NC261, hike 2 miles up to Grassy Ridge Bald and camp.
Day 3- drive to Pisgah & Black Balsm Knob. Hike 2 miles up the Art Loeb trail and find a camp spot on a bald.
Day 4- drive to Franklin area. Park at Deep Gap. Hike 2.5 miles up The AT to Standing Indian. Camp on the cliff.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

MrSmiley
05-22-2017, 15:06
Only day I can comment on is the second day. Carver's gap is not that hard of a section and can be easily done if you are up for it. There is some elevation change but the trail is pretty well maintained and if you did not want to go that far you could always camp on the first bald that is roughly 1/4 to 1/5 up the trial.

illabelle
05-22-2017, 15:52
Sorry about your arthritis. Real bummer for sure. :(
Your first two options are two of my favorite places to go. Excellent choices!
I'm not familiar with the other two.
Enjoy the outdoors while you still can.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-23-2017, 11:21
Undermountain Shelter is very easy to access and a great place to camp.....oh those views!

Max Patch and Wayah Bald can be driven to, and they are equally wonderful

Blood Mountain, Springer, McAfee Knob, Dragon's Tooth, Grayson Highlands, and many other of these iconic spots on the trail can be reached via very short, relatively easy hikes. I've had a similar problem and still got to see them all :) Do you have in mind any specific location?

bigcranky
05-23-2017, 12:52
Re: Mt Rogers area. Sounds like you mean the saddle in the middle of Pine Mountain where the Lewis Fork Trail hits the Pine Mountain Trail and the Crest (Horse) Trail. There is a wide, open saddle with great views, lots of camp sites, and a spring in a small corral. This is about 3.5 miles from the parking area, and it would be a pretty stiff hike up and over -- but it's doable I think if you take your time. If you end up wanting to stop short, there is another good camping area much closer to Rhododendron Gap, to the west (compass) of the AT where the Rhododendron Gap horse trail does its "S" curve around Wilburn Ridge and connects to the AT near Rhodo Gap. There is also a reliable spring inside a corral near the horse trail. Lots and lots of campsites in this area.

If you want an easier, more level hike in that area, park at the small trailhead lot at the Grayson Highlands camp ground, then hike the ~2 mile trail that heads out toward the Wise Shelter. You can tent camp along the AT past the shelter, on the USFS side of the fence -- plenty of great sites out in the open, and good water there, too, and it's a much easier hike.

Good luck.