PDA

View Full Version : Lunch Menu Ideas/Suggestions?

Indigo Hawk
05-21-2017, 16:19
I've got breakfast, dinner, and snacks covered. My problem is lunch. I don't make anything at home usually, preferring meal bars or shakes around the middle of the day.

Anyone have some advice, suggestions, or even just what they did for lunch?

Odd Man Out
05-21-2017, 16:31
I've always had peanut butter and jelly on a tortilla.

Indigo Hawk
05-21-2017, 16:34

Oddly enough, that's what I have when I don't want bars or shakes. I didn't consider it for the trail.

RangerZ
05-21-2017, 16:46

Second PB&J on a tortilla. I save the single serve packages that you get at restaurants or hotel breakfasts. Single serve cream cheese, dehydrated hummus. Anything that you can spread. Cut up single serve spam. Tuna packages.

Ritz crackers with the same. Keep from crushing with Pringles cans or plastic soda bottles cut in half and slid together.

Anything that doesn't take a lot of time.

Megapixel
05-21-2017, 16:57
Fresh fruit on day 1 returning to trail from town, and almost always : nuts (fatty sustained energy), hot tea, jerky or protein bar or wrap with tuna/chicken pouch, and some carbs like crackers or bread... and hard candy for dessert, usually while walking after lunch.

RangerZ
05-21-2017, 17:01
Second PB&J on a tortilla. I save the single serve packages that you get at restaurants or hotel breakfasts. Single serve cream cheese, dehydrated hummus. Anything that you can spread. Cut up single serve spam. Tuna packages.

Ritz crackers with the same. Keep from crushing with Pringles cans or plastic soda bottles cut in half and slid together.

Anything that doesn't take a lot of time.

Summer sausage or pepperoni slices with the same.

Indigo Hawk
05-21-2017, 17:13
I love the wrap ideas. I used to have single serve spam and tuna for my school lunches. For peanut butter do you carrying single servings or powder (I have powder here at home and it's extremely light in a fairly sturdy container)? And should I still plan on protein/meal bars for those days when I don't want to make something?

DavidNH
05-21-2017, 17:21
Lunches.. there is always GORP (good ol' raisins and peanuts, often with m n ms mixed in for good measure. Snickers bars, A good block of cheddar cheese that you can slice up, summer sausage or salami to slice up. Lunch is generally snacks, not some big meal.

Venchka
05-21-2017, 17:38
I love the wrap ideas. I used to have single serve spam and tuna for my school lunches. For peanut butter do you carrying single servings or powder (I have powder here at home and it's extremely light in a fairly sturdy container)? And should I still plan on protein/meal bars for those days when I don't want to make something?

Personal opinion:
Not the powder. Not enough fat or calories to make it worth carrying. It also doesn't have the texture or taste of real nut butters.
Looser on many counts.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indigo Hawk
05-21-2017, 17:40
Lunches.. there is always GORP (good ol' raisins and peanuts, often with m n ms mixed in for good measure. Snickers bars, A good block of cheddar cheese that you can slice up, summer sausage or salami to slice up. Lunch is generally snacks, not some big meal.

I love summer sausage. I'm starting to see lunch = slightly larger than average snack. I'm over-thinking it.

swjohnsey
05-21-2017, 17:50
Another PB&J on flour tortilla.

egilbe
05-21-2017, 18:03
Only one lunch? I usually eat and snack throughout the day when I'm hiking

swisscross
05-21-2017, 18:19
Chicken salad.
small can of white meat, mayo, lemon juice, tobasco, slivered almonds or walnuts, dried fruit if you like.
spread on flour tortilla. Curry power for a change.

Indigo Hawk
05-21-2017, 18:26
Only one lunch? I usually eat and snack throughout the day when I'm hiking

I have some food issues so while I do eat some small snacks throughout the day, if I don't eat three "meals" I forget to eat enough. So having a designated "lunch" helps me keep track and makes sure I have eaten what I need.

windlion
05-21-2017, 18:26
Spiced-up tuna pack, homemade carrot oatmeal bar

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Indigo Hawk
05-21-2017, 18:37
Has anyone tried the savory meal bars like Tanka or Epic?

I just found those while browsing for meal bar recipes.

PGH1NC
05-21-2017, 18:37
Second PB&J on a tortilla. I save the single serve packages that you get at restaurants or hotel breakfasts.

How do you go about in actually obtaining these single serve packages?

RangerZ
05-21-2017, 20:49
Second PB&J on a tortilla. I save the single serve packages that you get at restaurants or hotel breakfasts.

How do you go about in actually obtaining these single serve packages?

Not to put too fine a point on it, I go to restaurants and stay in hotels. :banana

Old Hiker
05-21-2017, 21:31
Forget the single serving sizes - IMO - too much trash for the weight you carry. I always grabbed a tub or bar of cream cheese in town. At first, it lasted 4-6 meals. After a few months, 2-4 meals.

Lots of flavors, lots of variety. Never had a problem with it getting too hot while it was stuffed down in my pack/food bag.

I also went from peanut butter - too dry, too much water to wash down - to a jar of Nutella. Almost the same calorie/nutrition counts. Again, the number of meals dropped as time went by.

Also had to go from the 8" to the 10" tortillas. THESE were the biggest weight in my food bag. 3-4 per meal.

DownEaster
05-21-2017, 22:02
String cheese, Fritos, and summer sausage. Add a lemon flavor packet to some water, and that's a hot weather lunch. In cooler weather I'll make hot tea and instant soup.

JC13
05-21-2017, 22:36
White chocolate peanut butter and pringles.

garlic08
05-21-2017, 23:13
I throw away the whole idea of meals when I'm hiking. I stop for a good break every two hours and eat something, so about five or six times a day. I don't have names for all those meals. I usually have a stack of tortillas, with either cheese or peanut butter, and that's good for two or three of those stops, but I don't care if it's midday.

JFKinYK
05-22-2017, 08:38
Peanut butter isn't dry, as someone stated earlier, if you buy the real stuff. The cheap stuff has had the oil siphoned off and sold separately, hence it being cheaper.

I'll usually have 2 lunches. One at the normal mid-day time and one smaller later in afternoon. If I snacked all day I would run out of food quickly. It is better to set specific times to eat for me.

Cheese is standard. Nuts. Some sort of bread carb for said cheese. PB, nutella. Jerky is nice. I try and save some sort of bar for afternoon snack. Getting in a routine helps plan out food amounts and weights.

KDogg
05-22-2017, 09:21
Don't rule out cooking for lunch. My hiking partners and I cooked at most lunch stops. It's just what we were hungry for. For me this was usually ramen with some sort of meat and nuts thrown in for protein. We took pretty long lunch breaks too and only started back up again when we were "ready".

TKE402
05-22-2017, 11:33
Tortilla, Peanut butter, tuna, and pre-cooked bacon. simply awesome

RangerZ
05-22-2017, 13:25

Together? HYOH.

TKE402
05-22-2017, 14:29
Yup together rolled up in the tortilla.

Indigo Hawk
05-22-2017, 15:24

I'm not sure if that sounds brilliant or terrifying.

Venchka
05-22-2017, 15:30
It's just lunch. Why does it require instructions?
Go hiking.
Eat food.
Done.
Wayne

illabelle
05-22-2017, 16:04
We had a lunch treat one time with Nutella spread on a tortilla, then a banana sliced lengthwise, and sliced almonds. Fold up the bottom and wrap around. Mmm-mmm!

Maineiac64
05-22-2017, 16:46
I like bringing tortillas and a small container with peanut butter, nutella, and raspberry jam for most lunches. Also, might bring a probar. I just ordered greenbelly bars to try as well. I have the bigger challenge with a good breakfast, I always boil for coffee but I can't find a decent dehydrated "breakfast" that I really like.

Indigo Hawk
05-22-2017, 16:58
I like bringing tortillas and a small container with peanut butter, nutella, and raspberry jam for most lunches. Also, might bring a probar. I just ordered greenbelly bars to try as well. I have the bigger challenge with a good breakfast, I always boil for coffee but I can't find a decent dehydrated "breakfast" that I really like.

I have to have my coffee. I've debated switching to black for my hike but can't stand it so I'm looking at flavored creamers to bring. Or flavored cofffees. (I don't put sugar, just creamer. And I don't mind a little extra weight for decent coffee)

For breakfast, I'm a hot cereal person. I usually add fruits and nuts to whatever I'm eating unless it's grits. With grits I add eggs, cheese, bacon or ham, and hot sauce.

Indigo Hawk
05-22-2017, 17:03
In truth, I don't mind a little extra weight for food in general. I will be making some dehydrated meals ahead of time and having them shipped as needed. I'm planning to carry at least an extra day's worth with me between resupply points.

My reasoning behind it is that it's food, you eat it as you go so the weight decreases. A bit extra is alright.

devoidapop
05-22-2017, 18:37
Salami, sopresata, or dry chorizo with some hard cheese

Odd Man Out
05-22-2017, 20:31
I throw away the whole idea of meals when I'm hiking. I stop for a good break every two hours and eat something, so about five or six times a day. I don't have names for all those meals. I usually have a stack of tortillas, with either cheese or peanut butter, and that's good for two or three of those stops, but I don't care if it's midday.

Sounds like a Hobbit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLXeL4HbPr4

Bansko
05-23-2017, 08:01
As others have said, throw out the whole idea of specific foods for specific meals. Sometimes I went for days on nuts, tuna, and Raisinettes (preferably of the dark chocolate variety).

garlic08
05-23-2017, 08:13
That reminds me of resupplying at a C-store outside Harpers Ferry where all I could buy was hot dog buns, peanut butter and bananas. That was just fine for a couple of days.

Food has gotten less important to me the more I hike. At least, I spend less time thinking about it than I used to.

Old Hiker
05-23-2017, 08:52
I have to have my coffee. I've debated switching to black for my hike but can't stand it so I'm looking at flavored creamers to bring. Or flavored cofffees. (I don't put sugar, just creamer. And I don't mind a little extra weight for decent coffee)

For breakfast, I'm a hot cereal person. I usually add fruits and nuts to whatever I'm eating unless it's grits. With grits I add eggs, cheese, bacon or ham, and hot sauce.

Try adding a teaspoon or three of instant hot chocolate to the instant coffee. I liked it, as it sweetened, added creamer and added a mocha flavor. I mixed up a Mayo jar with the following mix: 1 tsp instant coffee, 3 tsps. creamers (or instant milk or Nido) and 3 tsps. hot chocs. Add to a mug to taste and add hot OR cold water. Found the cold water works well on hot days.

FORGOT the instant bacon. Seemed while the young pups were looking for beer in town, I was looking for the instant bacon. Tad expensive, but 1 pack was 3-4 meals.

plexusbritt
05-23-2017, 10:02
A lot of the Knor sides actually taste pretty good cold and prep with cold water as well. I put the water in about an hour before I plan to eat, hike, and then its like a cold pasta salad.

Runner2017
05-23-2017, 13:17
I never stop for lunch on trail and my lunch is always my home-made trail mix, made of raisins, walnuts, almonds, hemp seeds, golden flax seeds and dried figs that I buy from Costco in bulk. Lots of calories thanks to tons of healthy fats and waaaaay cheaper than protein bars and cliff bars. That's why I do tons of mail drops.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Indigo Hawk
05-23-2017, 19:46
I never stop for lunch on trail and my lunch is always my home-made trail mix, made of raisins, walnuts, almonds, hemp seeds, golden flax seeds and dried figs that I buy from Costco in bulk. Lots of calories thanks to tons of healthy fats and waaaaay cheaper than protein bars and cliff bars. That's why I do tons of mail drops.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My original plan was mail drops with homemade meal bars and meals but somewhere I read it wasn't reliable.

I've settled on meal bars and the occasional hot lunch. Almond or peanut butter (Nutella is amazing but too sweet for me most days) on tortillas are also on the menu.

kestral
05-24-2017, 11:14
Try adding a teaspoon or three of instant hot chocolate to the instant coffee. I liked it, as it sweetened, added creamer and added a mocha flavor. I mixed up a Mayo jar with the following mix: 1 tsp instant coffee, 3 tsps. creamers (or instant milk or Nido) and 3 tsps. hot chocs. Add to a mug to taste and add hot OR cold water. Found the cold water works well on hot days.

sounds good! For added calories you could try grace brand coconut milk powder (50 grams -1packet = 340 calories.). I make a similar mix with the coconut milk powder due to lactose issues. I use cocoa powder and a little coconut sugar. Like a mounds bar coffee milkshake!

AngryGerman
06-20-2017, 02:03
If my lunch is on the go it is usually GORP and a Cliff Builders bar and some cheese. I always keep hard candy in easy to reach places too. If I plan on stopping it usually involves a wrap, some sort of spreadable meat w/cheese, nuts, and so on. It also depends on what day I am out from resupply. First meal out of town is usually fresh fruit, cooked steak, a wrap with veggies on it and some A1. MMMMMMMMM yummy!

To each his/her own! HYOH! Consider the scenarios you'd be eating lunch in. You will have to adjust fire as you go and as your appetite changes

CRC
06-20-2017, 09:12
Has anyone tried the savory meal bars like Tanka or Epic?

I just found those while browsing for meal bar recipes.

The chicken sirracha Epic bars are pretty good. The texture is a bit strange at first but the flavor is good and they keep you filled up for a long time - not like a high carb bar that gives you a burst of energy then you leaves you hungry in an hour later, more like a slow burning fuel. I like it for breakfast too - followed by some cashew/raisin/craisin/sunflower seed trail mix.

BuckeyeBill
06-20-2017, 10:52
I usually have Triscuits with cheese (Swiss or a hard cheddar) and salami. Some times I use a potted meat like Red Devil ham or Chicken. I know I have to haul the weight of a couple cans as trash afterwards, but it helps keep me from suffering from food burn out. There is always Shug's favorite, Spam packages.

Puddlefish
06-20-2017, 11:15
I just winged it, depending on what kind of store I'd resupplied at recently. I liked buying mini cheeses, Laughing Cow, Baby Bel, string cheese. Dr. Kracker's crackers were sturdy and delicious, but rarely available. Sesame sticks were a delicious change, and not as fragile as I'd feared. Summer sausage was good occasionally, and pre-sliced pepperoni also lasted a while. Fresh fruit for the first day. Pretty much just variations on the ploughman's platter.

Almond butter if available, peanut butter tuna packets, and tortillas were also in the mix. Tortillas were heavy, and I got sick of them fairly quickly. I tried to split packages with other hikers, or leave half the package in hiker boxes.

After a few weeks on the trail, it's glorious to just walk down the supermarket aisle, pick out something different and think "I can make this work!"

Lib
06-25-2017, 11:03
Check this site https://theepicenter.com/

Venchka
06-25-2017, 11:33
Check this site https://theepicenter.com/

I do better at Walmart. Just pay attention.
Wayne

Dogwood
06-25-2017, 12:52
Do on trail as you do at home...bars, smoothies, energy drinks, etc for lunch. On trail my eating habits tend not to follow a strict B-fast, lunch, and dinner agenda. If I do stop for a lunch it's basically a glorified larger snack fest. However, I do like to stop on desert hikes during the midday hrs to wait out the heat. At those times I might opt for dry hummus reconstituted with EVOO, lemon, and rep pepper flakes with chips or crackers(something like Kashi Fire Roasted or Mary Janes 9 seed crackers) at a place where there is water. I also easily grow trail sprouts that can be added to a wrap with some hard cheese, tuna(foil packed in olive oil!), etc. On short hikes I'll throw in an avocado, semi hard tomato, or small cucumber. Some nuts or sprinkling of shelled hemp seed rounds it out.

AlamoHiker
06-26-2017, 23:05
Obviously the only REAL answer is rib eye steaks for every meal.

DLP
06-27-2017, 12:22
I've been going stoveless for 3 years and usually rehydrate my lunch while walking.

Cold rehydrated pasta and Costco or Buitoni pesto. (Pasta has to be cooked, dehydrated and then rehydrated.)
I haven't had pesto go bad on me. YMMV

Cold rehydrated refried beans, Minute rice, Fritos, Taco Bell hot sauce and True Lime

Rehydrated Angel Hair - (precooked and dehydrated at home)
and 1/3 package of Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef, 2 oz Corn chips, Fritos

Rehydrated 1/3 package Mountain House Breakfast Skillet Pro-Pak, half a carton of Golden Grill Russet Hash Brown Potatoes on a tortilla with hot sauce and ketchup.

As others have said: P&J or Spam or tuna packet or cheese and salami on a tortilla.

Dogwood
06-27-2017, 12:40
The chicken sirracha Epic bars are pretty good. The texture is a bit strange at first but the flavor is good and they keep you filled up for a long time - not like a high carb bar that gives you a burst of energy then you leaves you hungry in an hour later, more like a slow burning fuel. I like it for breakfast too - followed by some cashew/raisin/craisin/sunflower seed trail mix.

Same here...or KRAVE Bars with the trail mix makes a quick energizing snack like lunch.

Dogwood
06-27-2017, 12:41
The EPIC Chicken Siracha is a bit hot/spicy though so most would want some nearby H20 to go along.

BuckeyeBill
06-27-2017, 14:23
The EPIC Chicken Siracha is a bit hot/spicy though so most would want some nearby H20 to go along.

Some bread, crackers or milk takes the sting hot of spicy food much better. A cup of Carnation Dry milk is easy to whip up while your waiting for your food to cook.

BuckeyeBill
06-27-2017, 14:24
hot = out.

Dogwood
06-27-2017, 21:15
Some bread, crackers or milk takes the sting hot of spicy food much better. A cup of Carnation Dry milk is easy to whip up while your waiting for your food to cook.

never thought. Thx. I'll try that although not a super spicy hot trail food admirer.

jjozgrunt
09-24-2017, 12:21
Yanks and your obsession with peanut butter. Yuck Now I love some vegemite on a wrap, or cheese and sausage, bars and scroggen if I'm not particularly hungry (easy day). Tried some of those smoothies from Packit Gourmet, 400 cals, advertised for breakfast, but I used the couple I had at lunch time if I couldn't be bothered to eat, but still knew I needed energy. I'm experimenting now in making my own dehydrated smoothies. I've been known to eat an entree for lunch as well if it's a big day.

egilbe
09-24-2017, 15:23
What is scroggen? I know what vile stuff vegemite is. :D

KCNC
09-24-2017, 16:44
Together? HYOH.

Sounds like a variant of a John's Island SC hot dog:

Peanut butter, mayo, onion.

Ate my first one on a bet in high school >30 years ago. (A local restaurant has offered them forever.) Surprisingly tasty. The tuna might be a stretch, but think Thai Peanut sauce and the gap starts closing.

Definitely has potential, IMHO.

KCNC
09-24-2017, 16:48
never thought. Thx. I'll try that although not a super spicy hot trail food admirer.

Bananas are (IMHO) the ultimate "cool down" food to kill spice. As it was explained to me, there's an enzyme in them that displaces the capsaicin molecules that attach to your mouth.

I do know that one night I put a lot of people to shame in a hot pepper eating contest thanks to a bowl of banana pudding that I was casually snacking on as they were writhing on the ground in pain and screaming in pain. :D

YMMV

GolfHiker
10-08-2017, 17:58
I'm pretty sure I picked up that you are planning for a long hike, possibly a thru. Planning is good, mail drops, home made snacks, all that. BUT, as any thru will tell you it's easy to burn out on any particular food, like tuna, spam, peanut butter, Cliff Bars, etc.. Those lunches roll around every day.... I've seen a ton of good suggestions here, first day fruit, tortilla/wraps, Nutella, summer sausage, string cheese, pre cooked bacon....I did em all. One thing I discovered and tried and really liked was so simple I'm surprised at not seeing it more often. Deli ham ( or turkey) with sandwich thins, not bagel thins, add some mayo & there you go. Any brand will work, the meat lasted at least 4 days ( in summer, no less), was easy to carry, tasted great, and fit nicely in the "thins", which hold up great in your food bag.

Im not saying to abandon PB, but think how good a fresh ham sandwich will taste at lunch.

in the end, mix it up!

jjozgrunt
10-09-2017, 07:23
What is scroggen? I know what vile stuff vegemite is. :D
Vegemite vile? You'll never be allowed in gods country, Australia. Scroggen is just trail mix.

AlamoHiker
10-11-2017, 22:26
I made some nice sandwich bag mixes for fideo. 2 servings each for a wicked awesome dinner on the trail.

Venchka
10-12-2017, 10:05
I made some nice sandwich bag mixes for fideo. 2 servings each for a wicked awesome dinner on the trail.

Recipe? A clue as to what went in the bags?
Thanks.
Wayne

AlamoHiker
10-13-2017, 18:52
Recipe? A clue as to what went in the bags?
Thanks.
Wayne

Pretty much google any fideo recipe.

In mine, I have:

dehydrated onion pieces
garlic powder
cumin
salt
pepper
chili powder
dehydrated cilantro
vermicelli noodles
2 chicken bouillon cubes

Venchka
10-14-2017, 20:48
Pretty much google any fideo recipe.

In mine, I have:

dehydrated onion pieces
garlic powder
cumin
salt
pepper
chili powder
dehydrated cilantro
vermicelli noodles
2 chicken bouillon cubes

I thought you meant food. [emoji1]
Thanks.
Wayne

AlamoHiker
10-14-2017, 22:23
I thought you meant food. [emoji1]
Thanks.
Wayne

It is food. Good food. ALL THE FOOD!!

Venchka
10-15-2017, 09:00
If you say so. “Where’s the beef?” There isn’t enough nutrition in your baggy to justify the space in your pack.
Wayne

Hiker4Jesus
10-25-2017, 07:54
tortilla wrap ideas
1. cream cheese with salami
2. hummus and spinach
3. PB and Jelly
4. PB with Nutella
5. Tuna or spam with cheese
6. PB with sliced bananas and honey