PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this hike

JLorenzo77
05-22-2017, 10:18
Hello hikers - My buddy and I are thinking of doing an overnight hike this Friday afternoon - Saturday. We'd start at Snickers Gap in VA, hike south for 3.5 miles to Sam Moore Shelter, camp for the night and hike ~10.5 miles to Ashby Gap. I know this is mostly on the roller coaster and I haven't carried pack weight since October. However, I am in decent shape and my knee is only a little messed up. Just wanted your thoughts on this hike, if you have any.

Thanks!

illabelle
05-22-2017, 10:53
We did the roller coaster last year (I think). It wasn't as bad as advertised. Several little hills, nothing unusual about them. I doubt they'll be an issue for you, especially since you're breaking it into two days.

Deacon
05-22-2017, 10:57
We did the roller coaster last year (I think). It wasn't as bad as advertised. Several little hills, nothing unusual about them. I doubt they'll be an issue for you, especially since you're breaking it into two days.

I agree. Lots of up and down but not really difficult.

Malto
05-22-2017, 11:33
The roller coaster is overhyped.

Femadog
05-22-2017, 15:04
You should be fine. I did it a few weeks back as part of a 2 week section hike that started in HF and went south. The hike up to Bear's Den is a climb but not very long. The next couple of miles are along the contour and then you have one down, up and a down to the shelter. The second day only has 6 miles? of the Roller Coaster. The part near Rod Hollow is smooth trail and easy walking and just some mild ups and downs. At least that's how I remember it.