PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for shoulder straps to constantly loosen while hiking?

mgmtrnr
05-22-2017, 14:23
The loosening starts out slowly at the beginning of my hike or workout but gradually gets worse and worse. I am in a panic because my SOBO thru starts in about 2 weeks and I have a backpack that has shoulder straps that won't stay tight. And, it gets worse and worse the more I sweat.

Is this normal?

Also, should moisture (i.e. rain, water, sweat, etc.) affect the ability of shoulder straps to stay tight?

Thanks,

Mike

JC13
05-22-2017, 14:49
Short answer is no.

I had a cheap pack that did this long ago and we ended up tying a knot on each strap to keep it from slipping.

devoidapop
05-22-2017, 14:56
A paper clip on each strap below the cinch might keep them from slipping until you get replacements.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Venchka
05-22-2017, 15:11
It also helps to have a brand, model and photos. Maybe the straps aren't threaded correctly.
Bottom line: Quality brands don't do things like you describe.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ggreaves
05-22-2017, 16:04
Tough to say but it sounds like it could also be a torso length issue. If the backpack's torso length is too short, it will put too much weight on the shoulder straps which would certainly make any problems with the straps worse. You want almost all the weight on your hips and your shoulder straps should mostly be holding the load to your back to the tightness you are comfortable with (combination of shoulder strap adjustment and load lifters). You should be able to push a finger between the strap an your shoulder. If not, it's probably too tight.

Dogwood
05-22-2017, 16:20
"Is this normal?"
I don't find it normal. Although, some adjustment may be needed as the load or apparel layers change.
"Also, should moisture (i.e. rain, water, sweat, etc.) affect the ability of shoulder straps to stay tight?"

YES! What I've found increases the tendency for shoulder straps to slip are grimy grungy tri-glides and when the bite(small teeth or ridges) on the tri-glides wear. The two solutions I've found are: 1) keeping a clean pack including making sure the tri-glides, cinch buckles, etc are scrubbed clean(underneath too where they lay against webbing!) of not only grime but body oils, sunscreens, sweat containing body salts, beach/fine sand, insect repellents, etc. I'm amazed how much total wt these things can amount to on an UL backpack. 2) checking the fine usually plastic teeth/ ridges/gripping areas on the webbing. Use a tiny hobby file or the lightest wt Dremel tool head to roughen up these ridges or file sharply the fine teeth or hone the flat filed area of the shoulder strap hardware.

mgmtrnr
05-22-2017, 18:59
Right now, I don't want to give the manufacturer because I am trying to work out a fair solution for the problem. The company has suggested I tie a knot in the straps or use safety pins to hold the straps and stop them from loosening. I was shocked by this suggestion. I purchased this backpack brand new, paid good money for it, and it has only been used a couple times a week starting in March so I don't expect to have to use safety pins from Maine to Georgia in order to keep my backpack tight on my back.

Mike

dwcoyote
05-22-2017, 19:43
By mentioning the name you can maybe find someone with the same pack that can give you feedback on whether they have experienced the same thing. It looks the like the manufacturer has given there advice.

Greenlight
05-22-2017, 19:46
Outfitters will have miscellaneous strap cinches that are of better quality than the ones currently on your pack. If it is convenient for you, I'd try that first. Pennies on the dollar.

The loosening starts out slowly at the beginning of my hike or workout but gradually gets worse and worse. I am in a panic because my SOBO thru starts in about 2 weeks and I have a backpack that has shoulder straps that won't stay tight. And, it gets worse and worse the more I sweat.

Is this normal?

Also, should moisture (i.e. rain, water, sweat, etc.) affect the ability of shoulder straps to stay tight?

Thanks,

Mike

Venchka
05-22-2017, 19:48
Right now, I don't want to give the manufacturer because I am trying to work out a fair solution for the problem. The company has suggested I tie a knot in the straps or use safety pins to hold the straps and stop them from loosening. I was shocked by this suggestion. I purchased this backpack brand new, paid good money for it, and it has only been used a couple times a week starting in March so I don't expect to have to use safety pins from Maine to Georgia in order to keep my backpack tight on my back.

Mike

You bought a lemon from a less than top tier pack company. Refund time.
As for torso length and excess weight on straps: BOGUS.
I have seen my grandchildren load book bags to bursting and the shoulder straps don't budge. No hip belts.
My experience: Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen Pack built by Hippies in Victor, ID circa 1975 and Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane built in Bozeman, MT circa 1994. Shoulder strap ladder lock slides hold perfectly.
Buy quality once.
Wayne

ggreaves
05-22-2017, 21:37
As for torso length and excess weight on straps: BOGUS.

All I said was that if there was a problem with the straps, having the incorrect torso height would make it worse. Agreed that the straps shouldn't move and the instructions to safety pin or tie a knot is a cop-out from the manufacturer.

Venchka
05-22-2017, 23:07
All I said was that if there was a problem with the straps, having the incorrect torso height would make it worse. Agreed that the straps shouldn't move and the instructions to safety pin or tie a knot is a cop-out from the manufacturer.
Sorry. I got carried away.
But seriously, without a hip belt, shoulder straps shouldn't move. I've owned many belt less packs and over loaded them without strap slippage.
Wayne

Alligator
05-22-2017, 23:31
Are you talking about daily or over the course of several days? On a daily basis, I'll check load lifters (shoulders) and sometimes adjust those. Should straps sometimes loosen a little, particularly with elevation changes--leaning forward or backward. A change in packing will sometimes do it, like finally getting your cook kit situated, or scarfing down a lot of food. What Dogwood said about keeping the plastic parts clean. Webbing will stretch some its not immutable. I've noticed that webbing that has gotten real wet and then dries out completely will tighten up. It can get stiff too, won't give right away on first adjusting on a new trip. Newer packs that I own I have noticed that the buckles tend to have sharper angles (angled down) than the past which helps them grip better.

Starchild
05-23-2017, 08:10
I had a REI brand pack for my thru, it had a known issue, the lap belt buckle would loosen while hiking, many hikers reported this. I tried several things, nothing too successful till I got some other cinch buckles from a outfitter, cost was under $4 for both, made all the difference for my thru. It was harder to adjust with them but that adjustment one does not have to make often, and it didn't slip. I also made another modification along the way for comfort.

I'd say on a thru you will make it work, that's what you do. But are you starting out with a good fitting, durable, comfortable pack? Or do you see signs of premi wearing out?

orthofingers
05-23-2017, 08:27
"Maybe the straps aren't threaded correctly." As someone already stated. Most of those cinch buckles are threaded so that the more weight is on them, the tighter they grip the strap. I'd play with that first.

Traveler
05-23-2017, 09:29
Mike

Admirable to try and protect a manufacturer you are trying to be fair with, but the manufacturer does not appear to want to address the problem and is not being fair with you.

Unless its been a long time since you purchased it, take the pack back to the retailer, tell them you are sorry it didn't work out and you'd like your money back. There are a lot of very good packs out there to choose from built by manufacturers who would give you more than "use a safety pin" to solve a problem.
If the pack is too old to be returned, take it to an outfitter and see if you can find cinch buckles or other bits that will stop the slippage.

BlackCloud
05-23-2017, 12:57
Are we talking internal or external pack here? I've owned a couple of Kelty externals and the straps every hour or so needed a 1/2" - 1" tightening. Never had such a thing on any internal....

George
05-23-2017, 16:08
something that has not been addressed here: new straps are stiff and slippery (smooth)

my experience is this issue diminishes and goes away with time as the straps become soft and fuzzy

the plastic adjustors may also get less smooth with use, but it is hard to see inside them, so ??

if you like the pack otherwise why hassle with returning it - I find that I play with the tightness out of boredom whether needed or not

Leo L.
05-23-2017, 16:37
One of my old Lowe packs has the very same problem: The shoulder straps slip through the tri-glide, but at such a low rate that I rarely notice it.
This pack is really high quality, but over 35 years of use may cause things to fail eventually. The material of the strap obviousely became more smooth over time and usage, as well as the tri-glide's edges became worn and rounded.
I finally locked the straps in the best legth setting with an additional tri-glide (or something similar).

mgmtrnr
05-24-2017, 17:41
After many emails with the manufacturer, it looks like we have worked out a suitable solution to the problem. I will keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments.

Traveler
05-24-2017, 18:18
After many emails with the manufacturer, it looks like we have worked out a suitable solution to the problem. I will keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments.
Out of curiosity for similar problems, what was the solution?

Venchka
05-24-2017, 22:20

Refund. Buy a decent pack from a quality company. Otherwise, you've been had.
Wayne

Puddlefish
05-25-2017, 08:35
My friend had a sliding strap and threaded a safety pin through. The pin promptly deformed into an unsafety pin.

Venchka
05-25-2017, 17:12
Is this the new Gear philosophy? Devise "hacks", or work arounds, for junk gear?
Once again, I don't get it.
Upon further reflection, a decent backpack with a decent hip belt should ride on the belt. The shoulder straps are only there to snug the pack bag against your back. You should be able to slide a finger under the strap. No tension. No slipping. Worked on the ULA Catalyst I used last year in Colorado.
Wayne

Drybones
05-25-2017, 17:45
My straps don't loosen but the gear in the pack settles after walking a ways makes the straps seem loose.

Leo L.
05-26-2017, 02:35
Upon further reflection, a decent backpack with a decent hip belt should ride on the belt. The shoulder straps are only there to snug the pack bag against your back. You should be able to slide a finger under the strap. No tension...

In a perfect world, it should be like that.
In my real hiking world, all the up&down and boulder scrambling lets the pack constantly move and slide around thus delivering the weight from one support to the other. I typically carry a heavy load in my old Lowe, and this permanentely tensioning and releasing might help to loosen the shoulder straps.

Deacon
05-26-2017, 05:59
No matter which pack one may be wearing, straps are going to loosen. That's not a slam on any manufacturer, it just a fact of life.

I'm sure someone is going to argue this.

Engine
05-27-2017, 19:26
My wife's pack, which came from a high end "cottage" manufacturer, did this from the time we started our hike. Eventually she switched to an Osprey model... problem solved. I have the same model she had and I don't have any issues...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Venchka
05-27-2017, 20:20
Another data point:
Stihl 25 pound gas powered backpack mounted blower. Not what you would associate with a quality backpack. Before starting to work with the blower I tried as hard as I could to make the shoulder straps slip or stride. No chance.
Deacon:
I'm not arguing with you.
In 50 years I haven't had a problem with slipping shoulder straps on backpacks, golf bags, blowers, etc. Just a fact.
Wayne

Smithereens
05-28-2017, 00:23
I was using a 36L Outdoor Products pack for a while. At first it wasn't bad, but the more miles I put on it, the more the straps worked loose. It got to the point I was constantly retightening them. I switched to a Jack Wolfskins 34L pack and have had zero issues. I have never had a problem with my Osprey Volt 65L either.

lucky luke
05-28-2017, 02:48
No matter which pack one may be wearing, straps are going to loosen. That's not a slam on any manufacturer, it just a fact of life.

I'm sure someone is going to argue this.

i never heared such a bull**** before!

my nothface pack does not do it, my 2 gregory´s do not do it, my osprey does not do it, and all of my selfmade packs dont slip either.

however, i had one pack that i also made myself that had slippage in the shoulderstraps. and that was clearly a constructional problem coming from very Little experience i had at that time. i had used webbing with a flat Surface for the straps. first i tried buckles with gripping teeth, but that only helped very little. replacing the flat, slippery webbing on the shoulderstraps with some webbing that had "little ridges" going across the webbing did the trick. this Kind of webbing will hold tight also with toothless buckles.
the easiest way to fix this Problem is replacing the slippery webbing. the sewing can be done by Hand if you use a strong thread or a lot of stitches.

too bad your life is slipping through your fingers and you accept it as a fact of life. makes hiking a painful experience when it should be fun and pleasure...

Dogwood
05-28-2017, 14:23
Thx for the info but do you honestly contend the ah hem easiest solution is replacin the shoulder strap webbing
?

Desertdave
05-28-2017, 23:28
I suspect the webbing isn't threaded properly. I've re-threaded others packs, belts etc. There's only one way that locks the straps...and check the keeper....if its on backwards then the manufacturer sewed em on wrong....never scene it but it would cause your issue.

lucky luke
06-02-2017, 05:50
Thx for the info but do you honestly contend the ah hem easiest solution is replacin the shoulder strap webbing
?
absolutely. unless ist a warranty Thing. since the starter of the thread does not want to use that Fixing it fast and easy is what i would do if i were him. its done in 5 minutes, knife to cut, lighter to seal the cuts, and needle and thread or a sewing machine are found in most households. the right webbing can be found in fabric stores or the Internet for a couple of $$.

i do wonder what manufacturer does recomend to tie a knot to solve the Problem. if the pack is as good as this advice i would send it back really fast, because the manufacturer will be out of Business soon.:-?