PDA

View Full Version : Allergic Reaction to Permethrin?

Steppin'Wolf
05-23-2017, 10:38
Hello All,

I have treated my clothing with Permethrin and it seems to work well. However, the last two times I have been out, I have had this rash show up on my lower leg (where the upper part of my socks cover). It is only there and never anywhere else. It does not hurt or itch and goes away in a couple of days.

Could this be an allergic reaction to the Permethrin? I have never had this before (even when times I hiked in Permethrin treated clothing). I noticed that both times my feet got very wet (maybe it leached through).

Have you every had this? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.39387

BuckeyeBill
05-23-2017, 11:01
I would venture to say it is not an allergic reaction because of it only being in one spot. If you were breaking out all over then you may be allergic. What kind of permethrin did you use? Is this happening with all your socks or just one pair?

Once you treat clothing and let it dry out, it won't/shouldn't leach out.

Sarcasm the elf
05-23-2017, 11:31
Several people on Facebook hiking groups have reported similar problems with DIY permethin applications. Those posts speculated that it may have been due to either overuse of the solution in the application, or problems with the dilution ratio from using agricultural permethin.

Sorry that I don't have much solid information to pass on, but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

Disco
05-23-2017, 11:33
I am going to guess that it is 'vasculitis' aka Disney rash, golfer's vasculitis, hiker's vasculitis, etc. A Google search for 'hiker's vasculitis' will yield much info. I used to get it during very hot weather while wearing short pants. Now, when I hike long distances, regardless of the weather, I wear long pants. Seems to work.

OCDave
05-23-2017, 12:03
Atopic dermatitis or contact dermatitis, caused by contact with allergen or simply irritant. Whether allergen or irritant, addition of a liner socks would be prudent.

Slosteppin
05-23-2017, 20:54
I've had a similar 'rash' for several years. Always in warmer weather. It was usually gone in 2 days or less. I have had it last over a week on backpacking hikes. I was able to show my doctor early the day after a hike. He decided it was a form of heat rash.
I've been soaking all my hiking clothes in permethrin every spring for years. I hang them all up to dry for several days before wearing.

jimmyjam
05-23-2017, 21:01
I've gotten that same rash from my wool socks- But only once

Steppin'Wolf
05-24-2017, 08:46
Thanks for all the thoughts so far. Continuing to research the issue.

peakbagger
05-24-2017, 09:30
Time for a double blind test. Make up two pieces of cloth and treat one and let it dry. Now have someone apply them to adjacent skin locations and wrap them with an ACE bandage without you looking. Leave them of for some extended period and see if there is difference between the skin under the two, if there is you may have an allergy to either the permethrin or one of the carrier solvents.

rocketsocks
05-24-2017, 13:27
I've been reluctant to tell this story over the years when this topic comes up cause I don't have a product name to tie it to, but perhaps you'll find it helpful. About 30 years ago I took my dog out on the back porch (as per the instructions to use in a well ventilated place) to spray him with some flea and tick spray, it took about 30 seconds if that. I came in the house to wash my hands and within 2 minutes I asked my wife to take me to the hospital, my throats was closing and I was having trouble breathing, my eyes and nose were watering profuciously. Turns out I had anaphylaxis, an extreme allergic reaction to what ever was in the product. We brought it with us for the doctor to see, his response when all was said and done was "don't use this again"

i wish i could remember the name, it was likely just something we picked up at the grocery store and a name brand. So yes, some of these types products people can be allergic to. I've since mixed permethrin with water as per the instructions and applied to clothes and had no adverse effects.

...and old "Bandit" was fine, but we never used that on him again!

LoneStranger
05-25-2017, 06:58
I have had that, or a very similar experience, after hiking in hot, wet weather in my wool socks with no permethrin on them. The rash pattern looked exactly the same and there was some itching involved. My solution was to not pull my socks all the way up the next day and avoid scratching :) Pretty sure you are reacting to the wet wool rather than permethrin.

rocketsocks
05-25-2017, 07:51
I've been reluctant to tell this story over the years when this topic comes up cause I don't have a product name to tie it to, but perhaps you'll find it helpful. About 30 years ago I took my dog out on the back porch (as per the instructions to use in a well ventilated place) to spray him with some flea and tick spray, it took about 30 seconds if that. I came in the house to wash my hands and within 2 minutes I asked my wife to take me to the hospital, my throats was closing and I was having trouble breathing, my eyes and nose were watering profuciously. Turns out I had anaphylaxis, an extreme allergic reaction to what ever was in the product. We brought it with us for the doctor to see, his response when all was said and done was "don't use this again"

i wish i could remember the name, it was likely just something we picked up at the grocery store and a name brand. So yes, some of these types products people can be allergic to. I've since mixed permethrin with water as per the instructions and applied to clothes and had no adverse effects.

...and old "Bandit" was fine, but we never used that on him again!I should have added what I used was an aresol...not a spritzer!

FreeGoldRush
05-25-2017, 08:38
Several people on Facebook hiking groups have reported similar problems with DIY permethin applications. Those posts speculated that it may have been due to either overuse of the solution in the application, or problems with the dilution ratio from using agricultural permethin.

Sorry that I don't have much solid information to pass on, but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
Agree. I believe it is important to use the permethrin for clothing, such as Sawyer. When using the other concentrated permethrin products you have to remember that most of what is in the bottle is chemicals other than permethrin that were not intended to be used on clothing.