PDA

View Full Version : Blood mountain in the rain

Zman
05-23-2017, 17:29
Well, it looks like I will be hiking up and over blood mountain in the rain. Does anyone have any experience in this?

royalusa
05-23-2017, 18:46
Yes, I've done it several times in the rain. You should be fine. The slabs of rock may be a tad bit slippery when wet, but other than that I can't see any issues.

Slo-go'en
05-23-2017, 20:58
I've done it in a torrential all day rain and it was not fun after my boots filled up with water. The first 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the ledges from the summit can be really treacherous in the rain, very slippery. Even with the switchbacks lower down, it's still a steep down hill to the gap and the trail will have water running down it. If your not walking in water, your not on the trail.

There is a bad weather by-pass which goes around the summit, but it's very rocky, uneven and exposed. I'm not sure it's really that good of an alternative.

Runner2017
05-23-2017, 21:13
To come down back to Neels Gap or the parking lot from the summit, you can use the Freeman Trail, which is way safer and easier than the way up in snow or down pour.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

scope
05-23-2017, 21:52
I'm with Slo-go on this one... the Freeman Trail might end up being worse in rain. Only issue I see would be just before you summit on AT, but not terribly difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martzy13
05-23-2017, 22:35
I'll second the "not that bad" notion. I did it in the cold, pouring rain and it has honestly been one of my favorite parts of the trail. But yes, caution on the rocks!

LittleRock
05-24-2017, 16:16
Going down Blood Mtn in the rain wasn't too bad, Dragon's Tooth in VA is another story...

One Half
05-24-2017, 17:02
Well, it looks like I will be hiking up and over blood mountain in the rain. Does anyone have any experience in this?

Yes! The up wasn't bad. not much rain. On the down it was down pouring! And it was EPIC! I followed another hiker down to the cabins to snag one of the last 2. We flew down in under 45 minutes. I really wished I had a GoPro attached for that downhill. We raced down the first 1/2 -2/3rds of it and slowed down after that.

joec
05-25-2017, 10:23
Coming down Blood Mountain heading north, there was one spot where it was mostly rock/boulders and the trail was not marked well in one spot, and others had missed the turns through the years and others trails were formed. I got turned around for a few minutes before backtracking and getting back on the trail. I guess that area would be more confusing in the rain.

QiWiz
05-25-2017, 16:28
No rain, no Maine - should not be a problem in most rainy conditions. If lightning, avoid exposed areas.

MkBibble
05-26-2017, 14:07
I did it in a cold heavy October rain; it was fine. I don't remember anything scary or tricky. If you're going NOBO, gives you a good excuse to hang out at Mountain Crossings for a few minutes and eat a microwaved burger or two.

FatMan
05-27-2017, 08:22
Blood Summit to Neels can be tricky in the rain mostly depending upon your footwear. There are several granite faces near the top that can be very slick with worn shoes. I have had to butt slide a couple of times. But with newer shoes it has never been much of a problem.

Elaikases
05-27-2017, 16:41
Look forward to hearing how it went.

Whack-a-mole
05-31-2017, 08:39
Went down it in a February ice storm. Not sure how I didn't end up on my butt, maybe just luck, but I'll take it!

shelb
06-01-2017, 00:14
You CAN do it!!!

Francis Sawyer
06-01-2017, 08:50
The hike UP blood mountain is uphill most of the way just until you reach the top when it tends to slope DOWN . During periods of rain the terrain takes on a decidedly moist character and subsequently a lower coefficient of friction. This can contribute to loss of control for bipeds.

MuddyWaters
06-01-2017, 08:59
I did it in a cold heavy October rain; it was fine. I don't remember anything scary or tricky. If you're going NOBO, gives you a good excuse to hang out at Mountain Crossings for a few minutes and eat a microwaved burger or two.

+

Only trick to blood mtn, is dont do it in dark carelessly if not familiar.
You could walk right off cliff on top if dont follow blazes painted on rocks

Slo-go'en
06-01-2017, 10:58
So, I wonder if Zman ever made it to Blood Mountain and if it was raining?

FreeGoldRush
06-01-2017, 22:36
Only trick to blood mtn, is dont do it in dark carelessly if not familiar. You could walk right off cliff on top if dont follow blazes painted on rocks
The place is like the Bermuda Triangle with many interesting stories of getting disoriented. Blood Mountain seems to be a fitting name.

AngryGerman
06-19-2017, 22:27
The hike UP blood mountain is uphill most of the way just until you reach the top when it tends to slope DOWN . During periods of rain the terrain takes on a decidedly moist character and subsequently a lower coefficient of friction. This can contribute to loss of control for bipeds.

Just can't stop laughing!!! LMAO!!! :D

OP, you will be absolutely fine if you know how to walk! Lean slightly forward going uphill and sink your hips going down. Control your momentum so as to predict the direction you would fall if you were to fall.

JPritch
07-04-2017, 18:09
Did Blood Mtn in a torrential downpour 1st week of April in the bubble. Everyone was up early and racing to Neels to snag a room, only to find out the hostel was closed. Anyhoo, walking down inside that little rock gully full of rushing water was interesting. Visibility was nothing with the fog. Only time I ever fell during a hike...but it was trying to short a switchback and I ended up sliding down a muddy slope. What a day!!

soumodeler
07-04-2017, 18:24
Only time I ever fell during a hike...but it was trying to short a switchback and I ended up sliding down a muddy slope. What a day!!
And that's why you don't cut switchbacks... The trail is there for a reason.

JPritch
07-05-2017, 10:28
I knew that was coming. At least you didn't get too preachy on me. I was hustling to get off the mountain as fast as I could...it was cold and wet, not a good combo. Looking back, I can have a good laugh about it.