PDA

View Full Version : Naturehike Cloud UP 2 ( Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Clone)

DownEaster
05-25-2017, 01:48
Does someone here have experience with this knockoff (the higher-quality gray version)? EBay has a 20% off deal through Memorial Day that applies to the "Sporting Goods" category. The YouTube reviews of this tent have been surprisingly glowing. There's just one door, which opens only at the bottom, so condensation due to inadequate ventilation (if rain requires you to zip everything up) is a concern.

ScareBear
05-25-2017, 06:49
Does someone here have experience with this knockoff (the higher-quality gray version)? EBay has a 20% off deal through Memorial Day that applies to the "Sporting Goods" category. The YouTube reviews of this tent have been surprisingly glowing. There's just one door, which opens only at the bottom, so condensation due to inadequate ventilation (if rain requires you to zip everything up) is a concern.

It's a poor knock-off, both in design and construction. It weighs almost TWICE what the BAFCUVUL2 does.

I get that folks need low-priced tents, but I'd look elsewhere for my shelter. There are plenty of name-brand options in 2P tents that weigh 4 pounds for under $200.

Your concerns about the single door and inadequate ventilation are not applicable to the FC series. The entire tent body is essentially a net tent with a floor, so condensation should never be an issue. It usually isn't with a double-wall tent...

DownEaster
05-25-2017, 13:26
It weighs almost TWICE what the BAFCUVUL2 does.
REI's weight figures say the Big Agnes model is 2 lbs. 4 oz. for the tent and footprint (sold separately); they don't list the stuff sack weights, but list "Packaged Weight" as 2 lbs. 5 oz. without the 5 oz. footprint, so 2 lbs. 10 oz. + footprint stuff sack weight. Amazon's got some partial weight figures including 3.9 lbs. shipping weight for the Naturehike tents, including the heavier (orange, green) models and the fact that the gray tent is 260 grams (9 oz.) lighter than those. So the Naturehike gray tent with everything (including packaging) is 3.3 lbs. or 3 lbs. 5 oz. Even if the Naturehike packaging is really light at 2 oz. and the Big Agnes footprint stuff sack is weightless, we're talking 2 lbs. 10 oz. (Big Agnes) vs. 3 lbs. 3 oz. (Naturehike). That's a maximum weight ratio of 1.2, not "almost TWICE" as heavy. If the Naturehike packaging is heavier, the weight difference between the two tents is less.

Your concerns about the single door and inadequate ventilation are not applicable to the FC series. The entire tent body is essentially a net tent with a floor, so condensation should never be an issue. The design is similar for the two tents (same net construction), except the BA fly door zips open at both top and bottom whereas the Naturehike fly zips only one way. There's always a condensation concern when your rain fly has just a single opening for ventilation.

Because you didn't know the weight or construction details of the Naturehike tent, I have to conclude that you don't have any actual experience with this knockoff. Experience is what I'm looking for here, please.

ScareBear
05-25-2017, 13:58
REI's weight figures say the Big Agnes model is 2 lbs. 4 oz. for the tent and footprint (sold separately); they don't list the stuff sack weights, but list "Packaged Weight" as 2 lbs. 5 oz. without the 5 oz. footprint, so 2 lbs. 10 oz. + footprint stuff sack weight. Amazon's got some partial weight figures including 3.9 lbs. shipping weight for the Naturehike tents, including the heavier (orange, green) models and the fact that the gray tent is 260 grams (9 oz.) lighter than those. So the Naturehike gray tent with everything (including packaging) is 3.3 lbs. or 3 lbs. 5 oz. Even if the Naturehike packaging is really light at 2 oz. and the Big Agnes footprint stuff sack is weightless, we're talking 2 lbs. 10 oz. (Big Agnes) vs. 3 lbs. 3 oz. (Naturehike). That's a maximum weight ratio of 1.2, not "almost TWICE" as heavy. If the Naturehike packaging is heavier, the weight difference between the two tents is less.

The design is similar for the two tents (same net construction), except the BA fly door zips open at both top and bottom whereas the Naturehike fly zips only one way. There's always a condensation concern when your rain fly has just a single opening for ventilation.

Because you didn't know the weight or construction details of the Naturehike tent, I have to conclude that you don't have any actual experience with this knockoff. Experience is what I'm looking for here, please.

Why don't you go to Naturehike for stats, like I did? They claim a tent weight, with lines, pegs and a "mat"(bag?) at 1820g. That is 3.99 pounds.

https://www.naturehike.com/cloud-up-2-ultralight-two-men-tent/

The BA website specs the BA FCUVUL2 at 1pound 15 ounces.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Fly-Creek-HV-UL2-Person

That is twice the weight. More than twice the weight. Don't bother going through your convoluted contortionist weight calculations. The cheap tent weighs twice as much as the real tent.

No, I don't have any actual experience with this knock-off. But, I don't need to buy a cheap copy that weighs twice as much as the real deal to know that it isn't worth the money. But, since you want somebody who actually bought this thing to vouch for your purchase decision, go for it.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. It's true for cars, guns, homes and appliances. And tents. Especially tents.

And advice on tents. Especially advice on tents. Now, since I've given you solid advice, where's my check?

The BA is on sale at REI for$289 right now.

Mags
05-25-2017, 16:28
Reviews on Reddit you may find useful:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2 Fultralight+Naturehike+Cloud+UP+2&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS707US707&oq=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fultra light++Naturehike+Cloud+UP+2&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.9807j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The folks on the Reddit UL are gear junkies. You won't learn (much) technique and the way to go UL is to buy more gear apparently ;), , but they are good at giving accurate info and real world results for all sorts of gear.

Overall consensus seems to be a decent budget tent. The red and gray one is lighter than the orange and green ones.

FYI, here's a WB initial impressions. But the gentleman weighed both tents himself.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/119599-Chinese-knock-off-BA-Flycreek-UL2?p=2080190&viewfull=1#post2080190 (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/119599-Chinese-knock-off-BA-Flycreek-UL2?p=2080190&viewfull=1#post2080190)

Looks like the orange or green one is 13oz heavier. IIRC the Red and Gray one is 5 oz heavier.

DownEaster
05-25-2017, 16:40
Why don't you go to Naturehike for stats, like I did? They claim a tent weight, with lines, pegs and a "mat"(bag?) at 1820g.
First, thank you for the link. Second, you misread the stats; it's 1560 grams (55 oz.) for the tent at issue, not 1820. That includes the footprint.

The BA website specs the BA FCUVUL2 at 1pound 15 ounces.
Again, thank you for the link. It's not the tent I was trying to use for comparison purposes (the original Fly Creek UL2, not the newer HV UL2), but it's relevant if I were also considering the new BA item instead of just the (cheaper) discontinued model. Also again, you misread the important information. I'm trying to compare the packed weight of both tents, rather than the packed weight of the Naturehike vs. the weight of the Big Agnes without footprint or stuff sacks.

Packed Weight 2lb 5oz / 1.05kg
This is excluding the footprint, which weighs 5 oz. (plus stuff sack). So we've got 55 oz. (Naturehike) vs. 42 oz. (new Big Agnes), or a ratio of 1.3:1. Also a price ratio of

DownEaster
05-25-2017, 16:55
Using the current prices, Big Agnes (REI) will cost me $373 (with footprint and sales tax), and Naturehike (eBay) will cost me $73. That's a $300 difference and a price ratio of 5.1:1.

ScareBear
05-25-2017, 18:34
Using the current prices, Big Agnes (REI) will cost me $373 (with footprint and sales tax), and Naturehike (eBay) will cost me $73. That's a $300 difference and a price ratio of 5.1:1.

I hope it works out for you! :D

If you get it, could you please post real world weights?

Also, I have never ever needed to open the door on my BAFCUL3 to reduce condensation because condensation is NEVER an issue. There is sufficient airflow into the tent from 360 degrees because of the fact the fly does not reach the ground and the peak of the inner tent is far enough below the peak of the fly. You can also adjust the side pull outs to add/reduce airflow, as needed.

Elaikases
05-25-2017, 21:42
I hope it works out for you! :D

If you get it, could you please post real world weights?

Also, I have never ever needed to open the door on my BAFCUL3 to reduce condensation because condensation is NEVER an issue. There is sufficient airflow into the tent from 360 degrees because of the fact the fly does not reach the ground and the peak of the inner tent is far enough below the peak of the fly. You can also adjust the side pull outs to add/reduce airflow, as needed.

I'd love a real review as well.

DownEaster
05-25-2017, 23:33
Also, I have never ever needed to open the door on my BAFCUL3 to reduce condensation because condensation is NEVER an issue. There is sufficient airflow into the tent from 360 degrees because of the fact the fly does not reach the ground and the peak of the inner tent is far enough below the peak of the fly.
My experience is that Murphy's Law applies here. Either you get leaves accumulating on the windward side so there's very little airflow, or horizontal rain soaks your sleeping bag to tell you your fly wasn't staked down tight enough. :datz

Smithereens
05-26-2017, 02:26
Before anyone does anything rash, hang on.

I have the exact tent in question. For $80? Grab it! The listed weight includes the the extra floor used to pitch the tent without the inner tent. I'll go weigh mine here in a few and post the details.

I have two Naturehike tents and I have to say, they both are really nice for the money. You might find a minor cosmetic stitching issue, but nothing that impacts the functionality. The quality overall is really good.

Smithereens
05-26-2017, 03:39
Total weight with everything 3lb 7oz
The optional floor weighs about 8 oz, but I rarely carry it. So normal weight is just under 3 lbs.

It's very roomy solo and just fine 2 up.

ScareBear
05-26-2017, 07:00
Total weight with everything 3lb 7oz
The optional floor weighs about 8 oz, but I rarely carry it. So normal weight is just under 3 lbs.

It's very roomy solo and just fine 2 up.

Is that weight including all guy lines, stakes, poles and bags?

JC13
05-26-2017, 08:43
If you watch thru hiker potentials on YouTube, I believe Kiwi on the Trail was using that exact tent. It was definitely a NatureHike but I am not positive on the model.

connolm
05-26-2017, 09:40
I bought the Naturehike 3 copy of the BA Flycreek 3. BA lists their 3 at 3 lb 5 oz. My NatureHike 3 weighs 5 lbs 12 oz.

I also have the branded BA Flycreek UL 1 for solo trips. It cost quite a bit more than the NatureHike.

The big difference I observe is in the material thickness and weight/unit area. The BA material is "paper tissue" light and almost see through. The NatureHike is considerably thicker and not translucent. I agree with above - the stitching seems comparable.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Smithereens
05-26-2017, 13:02
Is that weight including all guy lines, stakes, poles and bags?
Yes, everything that shipped with the tent. My carry weight is under 3lbs.

Ethesis
05-26-2017, 14:16
Yes, everything that shipped with the tent. My carry weight is under 3lbs.

Thanks for chipping in on this thread.

Smithereens
05-26-2017, 16:02
Oops, carry weight is 3lb 2oz, with everything but the extra floor.

Ethesis
05-26-2017, 19:25
Oops, carry weight is 3lb 2oz, with everything but the extra floor.

good to know. Three person versions all seem to be dramatically heavier than the 2p.

DownEaster
05-29-2017, 06:58
Well, I placed the order, and got a shipping ETA of June 6-13. I'll give exact weights and my impressions when it arrives.

Colter
05-29-2017, 10:23
I just got this Naturehike tent (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL-freeshipping-New-2-Person-Camping-Tent-Waterproof-20D-Silicone-Fabric-Double-layer-Tent-4-seasons/32674117252.html) for boat camping.

I haven't used it yet but I've set it up. The listed weight is close and I was really impressed with the sewing and construction details, better than most shelters I usually use. I expect it will prove to be a very good value.