PDA

View Full Version : Mountainsmith Day Lumbar pack. Do ya got one?

Smithereens
05-26-2017, 02:53
Thinking about getting one, but still on the fence. If I'm careful, I'm pretty sure I could use it to carry enough for a couple of nights.

If you have one and use it, what do you carry in it? Does it work well?

roys
05-26-2017, 07:05
I have owned a Mountainsmith lumbar pack for about 4 years. It makes a great day pack, I love the hip belt. But its only day pack in size. It certainly would not work as an overnight pack for me.

Hey Smithereens, I see your from Johnson City. I'm in Johnson City until mid July. If you need a hiking partner feel free to respond. I'm going to Roan Mtn today.

Venchka
05-26-2017, 09:31
I have the big one. I added the shoulder straps. I've used it with 12-15 pounds and it is very comfortable.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler
05-26-2017, 09:36
My hiking buddy has one and swears by it in most all seasons. He can carry gear secured to the outside of it, using the shoulder straps the weight carries well. Most use is for day hikes, but we have gone out for as long as 2 nights where he has used it.

Just Tom
05-26-2017, 14:13
I created an overnight setup with the MS Day. It is tight for me, but doable. Thing is, it isn't optimized for this purpose. With just a few tweaks it could work really well! Lighter materials would be nice, I think it weighs 2 pounds empty. I'd replace the top zipper with a roll-top and a front to pack compression strap like ULA uses to aid in compression and deal with that tiny bit extra of food or lashing an item on top. I'd swap in a hip belt and the pack side pockets from an Ohm (the Day has decent side pockets but the hip belt pocket is tiny). I use the Day strappettes, but a better shoulder-strap system with bottle pockets and other lash points would be helpful. The more small items that can be removed from the lumbar pack and placed in ease of reach the better for several reasons. The front zipper and pocket on the Day could be replaced with a stretch stuff pocket. The straps on the bottom of the Day need to be a bit longer, I tried getting my UL shelter in that location and failed. It does fit my z-seat perfectly thought. Inside the Day there is a neoprene table pocket, that thing got cut out on the first day. I look once a month for a cottage industry version of this and have yet to see one offered. When will ULA or MLD solve this problem for me.

devoidapop
05-26-2017, 15:12
Just Tom, can you post pics of your set up?

Just Tom
05-26-2017, 15:44
Sure I can post some pictures, but when loaded it looks pretty much like a Mountainsmith Day :) Any excuse for me to play with my toys though :)

Just Tom
05-26-2017, 16:20
Going across left to right, top to bottom in the first picture"

Top-left are items stored in the add-on hip-belt pocket.
Rain poncho, which covers the Day with ease. Could be in the pack or outside, depending on weather.
Minimal extra clothing, stored loose in the pack.
Z-seat and small chunk of tyvek, stored under the pack.
NeoAir, stored inside
Straps with water bottle / filter
Day, extra pocket visible.
Back at the bottom left are misc items that I stick in a stuff sack for starge in on of the Day side pockets.
Cook-kit, goes in the other side pocket.
Trowel and TP go with misc items, bear bag gets filled with food (and the biggest problem with this setup is food storage).
Shelter, goes inside the pack.
Quilt, goes inside the pack (the black sack is the one that comes with it, but I usually use the yellow one instead).
Handkerchief hangs where ever

Loaded up you can see that the food bag is bungeed to the face of it

Venchka
05-27-2017, 14:01
I pulled out the Day pack. That is the model. Day.
I just happened to have my new TarpTent StratoSpire 1 handy. The tent easily fit through the pair of straps on the bottom of the pack.
Very interesting.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Tom
05-27-2017, 14:30
It is my understanding that the older version of this pack was slightly larger than the current model. Not sure if that is the difference or not.

Smithereens
05-27-2017, 15:29
Tom,
That's what I was hoping to see. Thanks! Looks like the pack would work well for me.

Smithereens
05-27-2017, 16:10
Amazon had one for $54. It and the straps on on the way.

Just Tom
05-27-2017, 18:11
Glad I could help. Like I said, I find it a bit tight but a fun setup anyway. If this was purpose built for lightweight overnight backpacking it would be awesome. As it is, this setup actually weighs more than my Talon 33 setup, which has even more room.

Smithereens
06-07-2017, 20:46
Got the pack in today. Threw some stuff at it, weighed and took pics. As loaded with water and food, 13.5 lbs (can drop to 11lbs with tarp and no tent). Seems to carry nicely. Space is tight, but I actually have room to spare.

Just Tom
06-07-2017, 21:35
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

StillMoving
06-08-2017, 19:08
Here's hoping your holds up.

I have the Tour Pack that's about 23 yrs old. Granted now I just use occasionally but for 2 solid years I wore it 4 days a week while cycling to work. The thing is tough.

Thing could be filthy dirty and I'd just hit it with soap and water and it looked great again. Never could figure that one out.

About 10 yrs ago I looked at the current version and it was obvious the quality decreased...not a ton but it was noticeable.

naysjp
06-09-2017, 01:45
I too have a day pack by MS. My daypack is 25 years old. I don't know what the quality is like now, but this bag still looks good after all these years.