PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown next week - advice please

PAsectionguy
05-27-2017, 11:06
Coming from PA and have some questions for you locals! Never been this far south on the trail.

What general advice do you have for this area?

Arriving later in day. The interactive map on Trek has a small parking area on VA 620, but AWOL does not list it. Since getting there late, it is possible to park there so we only have a mile to Pickle Branch for the night and can catch Dragon's tooth the next day?

How is camping at Troutville Park and Fire Station?

Bear poles or cables at shelters?

How busy will the trail be next week?

Shuttle recommendation in this area?

Thanks everyone! Love WhiteBlaze!

Pastor Bryon
05-27-2017, 11:56
I'm a year out from doing this stretch. My recollection is that the parking at VA 620 is pretty limited. Guthook says there is room for 2-3 cars in a dirt pull off area there. Parking at the Daleville park/ride lot is better if you can catch a shuttle from there.

I don't recall seeing bear poles there, GH doesn't list them. Pickle Branch is .5 miles off the trail. Water will be plentiful in the creek down below it. Plenty of tent space prior to the shelter.

Trail will likely be very busy.

My 2 cents.

Col. Hannibal Smith
"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Slo-go'en
05-27-2017, 12:08
I found a picture with Google Earth and it looks like there is space for 2-3 cars. Good luck finding it though.

Virginia generally does not have bear pole, cables or boxes. Food is usually hung from the rafters of the shelter.

That is a popular area and with all the thru hikes which are now in the area, I'd guess it will be pretty busy.

Shuttles, I don't know, but expect to pay extra to get back to someplace like VA620 which looks like a long drive on a gravel road.

Southerner
05-27-2017, 17:19
1.) As stated above, Va. 620 does have some limited parking. It is better to access that road off of Va. 624 as there is a ford that might be tricky with all of the water of late if you access Va. 620 from Va. 621.

2.) Camping at Troutville is nice, though some people dislike the noise levels as you will hear traffic on Rte. 11 throughout the night and a train usually goes through at about 2:00 AM. If you are there on Friday or Saturday night of this upcoming week, you will be there just in time for Troutville Trail Days, so expect some company in the park. If you arrive there any other night, I think they want you to check-in with the park manager whose number is on the entry gate.

3. Bears have become a big problem throughout the section in recent years. Lamberts Meadow Shelter was closed for part of the season last year due to a pair of bears who frequented the site. There is a bear box at that shelter now. The rest of the shelters and campsites do not have any food storage devices. Plan to hang a bear bag. Camping is only at designated sites from Va. 624 to the end of the section.

4.) Expect this section to be extremely busy (assuming even half-decent weather), as has been stated above. especially if you are planning for the weekend. Each of the triple crown sites, most especially McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth, will likely be slammed between day hikers and the height of the through-hiker "bubble," which has felt more like a tsunami in recent years. But, there's a reason this section is so popular -- it is outright spectacular! Have a great time!

Southerner
05-28-2017, 09:52
Forgot to add that the Troutville Fire Dept. has stopped allowing hikers to shower and do laundry there.