PDA

View Full Version : Weather related questions

Megapixel
05-27-2017, 14:07
Hi,

Looking at hiking from Springer Northbound beginning in the 3rd week of June for a 2-3 week duration, until our we can start our thru hike SOBO beginning in mid July. We figure this will give us more time to hike before Winter Weather set in on our thru since a portion of the southern section will already be done, also it will give us a bit of a warm up b4 Maine. MY Question is what kind of weather can I expect for Springer heading North 110-200 miles... specifically Temperature? I'm assuming I can go with a lighter summer-type gear list?

Slo-go'en
05-27-2017, 17:50
I'd guess you don't have to worry about it being too cold.

map man
05-27-2017, 18:23
Go with summer gear. And since hiking in winter weather is a concern, make a point of getting all of Great Smoky Mountains National Park hiked on your first leg so you won't have to hike it in November or December. Through the years many SOBOs have run into serious winter weather in that park -- a lot of the trail is above 5000 feet there.

That means covering at least 237 miles from Springer before you head to Katahdin. Given that you will be hiking in warm weather and at the time of year with the most daylight hours, covering 237 miles in three weeks should be doable without undue hardship -- it's 11 to 12 miles per day.

illabelle
05-27-2017, 18:44
Go with summer gear. And since hiking in winter weather is a concern, make a point of getting all of Great Smoky Mountains National Park hiked on your first leg so you won't have to hike it in November or December. Through the years many SOBOs have run into serious winter weather in that park -- a lot of the trail is above 5000 feet there. That means covering at least 237 miles from Springer before you head to Katahdin.
And really, if you have the time, it wouldn't hurt to get most all of TN/NC done. The Smokies are above 5000', but so are the Grayson Highlands, the Roan Highlands, and possibly a few others in that stretch. But, yes, at least​ get the Smokies done.

Venchka
05-27-2017, 19:19
Aim for US HWY 19E at the NC-TN border. Mountain Harbor B&B/Hostel/Shuttle is there. Mountains done south of Virginia. Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megapixel
05-27-2017, 22:58
thank you all for the guidance and advice. much appreciated.

shelb
05-27-2017, 23:02
I hiked from Amicohola Falls to Clingman's Dome last year, starting June 16. I did not need winter gear. I did appreciate having leggings and a fleece jacket at night...