PDA

View Full Version : Tall guy in a Lunar?

von Pepper
01-29-2006, 11:07
I'm a big guy (6'4" 230) looking for a lightwieght tent/tarp option for a thru hike this year. Has anyone here over 6 foot slept in a Six Moon Lunar Solo? How did it work out space wise? Looks like a great option for me, but I'm a bit worried about the size. Thanks for any feedback.

rcli4
01-29-2006, 14:42
I am 6' 2" and 240 lbs. I fit nicely and have room for my junk. I like it a lot and will be carrying it on my AT thru this year
Clyde

vipahman
01-29-2006, 16:40
It might be a problem. At 5'9" (69"), I sometimes feel that I could do with more room on the head or foot of the tent. At 6'4" (76") you would feel that much more than me. The mesh walls at the side are 15" high but that would be assuming a perfectly taut setup. I love the tent but YMMV. Buy it, check it out at home and return it if it doesn't work for you.

von Pepper
01-29-2006, 17:34
Or how about the Six Moons Europa? An extra 10 oz, but looks like more room for a guy my size. Anyone with experience with this model?

chris
01-30-2006, 10:53
I'm 6'4" and can just fit inside with my sleeping bag on. The problem isn't the floor length, but rather the angle at which the walls rise up. That is, there is plenty of length, but because the walls have to come up, the foot and head of the bag are close to, but not touching the walls. If I ever come out of retirement, I'd seriously consider one for a long distance hike.

ronmoak
01-30-2006, 11:36
I'm a big guy (6'4" 230) looking for a lightwieght tent/tarp option for a thru hike this year. Has anyone here over 6 foot slept in a Six Moon Lunar Solo? How did it work out space wise? Looks like a great option for me, but I'm a bit worried about the size. Thanks for any feedback.

To say the least, you'll be pushing the limits of the tent. It's certainly got significantly more room head room than many small commerical tent like the Zoid, etc. Still it would not be a palace for someone your size. On the other hand the Europa would and it's still pounds less than most tents.

The Lunar Solo does have a couple of pull outs on either end. They can be used to lift the ends of the tent to give you more headroom when lying down. They won't have any affect on the height when sitting up.

If you're primarly a shelter hopper who want's a good backup tent when the shelters full or you're unable to reach it, the Lunar Solo would be a good option.

Ron

digger51
01-30-2006, 20:36
Ron..I sent you an email a few days ago from the Phoenix area asking about suppliers in the southwest. I got your answer and decided to wait till I get to Neels Gap to get one. If they are out how long will it take to have one shipped to either Franklin or Hiawassi?

ronmoak
01-31-2006, 00:07
Ron..I sent you an email a few days ago from the Phoenix area asking about suppliers in the southwest. I got your answer and decided to wait till I get to Neels Gap to get one. If they are out how long will it take to have one shipped to either Franklin or Hiawassi?

Digger, if you order from one resupply town I can generally have it to you by the time you get to your next town stop. I understand thru-hiker resupply issues.

Ron