PDA

View Full Version : prophet CF or burn

notbad
05-29-2017, 13:50
Base weight is low enough for the burn but thinking about volume?.. Shelter is a zpacks duplex... Currently been using a stripped down golite jam 50... ..wanting to downsize....is prophet to close in size to the jam?...any input on the comparison...prophet or burn??

Malto
05-29-2017, 15:24
I moved from a Jam2 to a Burn in 2011 and love it. But, it has its limit. I have been able to carry 8 days worth of food and it was a major challenge. There is also only one bear canister that can fit in the jam comfortably if that is a factor. It also took me a while to completely hone down how to pack it, the skinny width can be a challenge. (I ended up make my own custom sized food bags to serious help loading.). But I love the size of this pack when I'm carrying it especially the skinny width. You absolutely need to have low volume gear to make this pack work.

cmoulder
05-29-2017, 16:53
What bear can fits the Burn? Bare Boxer Contender, Bearikade Scout?

(Only asking because I have a similar pack, Zpacks Zero, 36L)

I've been thinking about the Contender or other small can for eastern Adirondacks high peaks. I have a BV450 but it ain't gunna work for the Zero!

Malto
05-29-2017, 18:11
What bear can fits the Burn? Bare Boxer Contender, Bearikade Scout?

(Only asking because I have a similar pack, Zpacks Zero, 36L)

I've been thinking about the Contender or other small can for eastern Adirondacks high peaks. I have a BV450 but it ain't gunna work for the Zero!
Bear boxer.

notbad
05-29-2017, 18:43
Thanks for your thoughts Malto. I have enjoyed many of your posts on your pursuit of miles and a simple kit. I'm figuring on giving the burn a whirl!. I think I'm pretty close..Worst case I'll need another pack for different application, but who doesn't like looking for gear..I know your not a fan of CF for packs but I want to give it a try..I was really interested in the palante simple pack in X-Pac but it seems those fellas are more busy hiking than pack building...I can't say I really blame them!

cmoulder
05-29-2017, 19:29
Great, that one is a lot cheaper!

Miner
05-29-2017, 20:22
I own 2 frameless packs. A ULA CDT and a MLD Burn. My baseweight, ignoring the 1.5-2 lbs of camera gear I normally carry (mostly on the outside of the pack) is usually 7.5 to 8 pounds. My shelter is a MLD tarp + bivy which packs smaller than any tent like shelter. I use the CDT for my long distance (ie. long resupply interval) and when I need a bear can (as the black garcia can that most places rent will barely fit). I use the burn for my 2-3 days weekend trips. My normal Gossamer Gear Torso pads that I normally use as my sleeping pad and pack support don't really fit in the burn as it takes up too much of the interior volume (seems like almost a 1/3 of it not counting the extension collar which is above it). I had to get a neo air to use with the burn , which ironically weighs more but is is much smaller, in order to have enough room as I felt my sleeping quilt was being compressed too much between the foam pads and the rear of the pack. Still use the torso pad in my CDT as the tri-fold gives better support than just a single sit pad and/or semi-inflated neo-air.

I could easily make the Burn work on the AT without any issue. But I would really hesitate to use it on the PCT or CDT. Unlike Malto, I don't consider that small Bear boxer as a valid choice in carrying enough food to stay legal on a PCT hike and the bigger bear cans won't fit unless strapped to the outside. I've seen people strap a normal size can to the top of their small pack, but that is top heavy and I don't like how the pack wants to move me when scrambling when I tried it and I didn't find it that comfortable for a long period compared with packing it down low in the pack. When I tried to load my burn up with 4L of water and 5+ days of food (no bear can), it just doesn't carry it as well as my larger CDT pack. I bought my Burn last year, but I still ended up buying another CDT to replace my damaged CDT pack, 2 months ago, as that pack fits some of my needs better for certain types of trips.

cmoulder
05-29-2017, 22:36
Miner, that's a good summation of things to consider for the OP... spot on. :)

notbad
05-30-2017, 08:54
Yep...thanks for sharing your experience miner. Two packs sounds like a good idea..As far as hobbies go hiking is still alot cheaper than sailboats or motorcycles I guess. Moulder send a shout when it's time to hit the high peaks. It has been a few years for me.. beautiful area..I like to park at Meadows road primitive​ campsites and take the old logging road to the trails at march dam

notbad
05-30-2017, 08:55
Big thumbs...Marcy dam!

cmoulder
05-30-2017, 09:57
Will keep that in mind! :sun

lol, I knew it was Marcy Dam. I've parked a couple of times at Loj in the winter and several times at the Garden, but not meadows road... I'll have check a map because I don't remember that campsite area.

notbad
05-30-2017, 11:05
Yep..Meadows road is on the left about half mile before the Loj. Maybe twelve first come free sites.. It's on the map..I believe it is gated in the winter.

cmoulder
05-30-2017, 11:13
Ah, that 'splains that! :D

So I've passed it quite a few times!

saltysack
05-31-2017, 12:46
I bought a dyneema prophet a few months back and it fits my needs well....with my limited experience I really love this pack....my bpw is around +\~ 9-10lbs with pups gear....I don't compress my quilt or down parka just stuff inside so it fills the volume and also can add a few breaths to the neoair which is a long my back. I really like the way the pack carries and the neoair feels like a pillow against my back....I've never had over 25lbs in it but felt great...hoping to do CT with it in July....very happy with it! Ron is great to deal with.....I'm not a fan of cuben for a pack though.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notbad
06-01-2017, 13:02
Hey Salty... I'm sure your experience is understated! I'm glad the prophet is working out so well for you. I'm sure you'll have a blast carrying across Colorado. From what I hear that's an excellent trip. I wound up pulling the trigger on the burn. I have been refining my kit and think I can pull it off..and trying the cuben pack is something I had to at least get out of my system! I may end up with the prophet down the road. I've been known to carry a six pack on occasion. Nevertheless​ I'm psyched to get my hands on a MLD pack. I hear nothing but good things. The past two winters I have been lucky enough to get the chance to hike across Ocala National Forest. I have really come to appreciate the ecosystem in Florida​. Being you're a Floridian, what would you say is the next must see hiking in the state? Good luck in Colorado

saltysack
06-01-2017, 13:49
Hey Salty... I'm sure your experience is understated! I'm glad the prophet is working out so well for you. I'm sure you'll have a blast carrying across Colorado. From what I hear that's an excellent trip. I wound up pulling the trigger on the burn. I have been refining my kit and think I can pull it off..and trying the cuben pack is something I had to at least get out of my system! I may end up with the prophet down the road. I've been known to carry a six pack on occasion. Nevertheless​ I'm psyched to get my hands on a MLD pack. I hear nothing but good things. The past two winters I have been lucky enough to get the chance to hike across Ocala National Forest. I have really come to appreciate the ecosystem in Florida​. Being you're a Floridian, what would you say is the next must see hiking in the state? Good luck in Colorado

Can't help ya there....I can't seem to get into hiking here....I stick to the water.....do distance trips on my sup or canoe camp....i wanted to hike the onf section last winter but never happened.....never really had a winter in NE Fl.....good luck with the burn...

saltysack
06-01-2017, 13:55

Should have said check out Suwannee river section....I've paddled most of the river which the FT follows and it's an amazing place if water levels aren't too high...John @ American canoe outfitters in white springs is a good resource for paddling or hiking shuttle...

cmoulder
06-03-2017, 20:20
Follow-up with the Bare Boxer, which I got in the mail yesterday...

Well it is small, but I am sure I could cram 4 days of food in there if necessary, therefore 6 days and 5 nights if day/night#1 is not "in the can" so I can see how this would work.

Fits very easily into the Zero — and therefore the Burn! Room to spare with the Zero!!

Test fitting and test packing today, I think it would fit best in the very top, above the shoulder blades.... with the middle circumference right at the top of the top shoulder strap attachment point. I'll do a short hike tomorrow to test... I owe the dog a good walk, lol!! :)