PDA

View Full Version : Fanny pack trail hack

GScout
05-30-2017, 22:19
I'm doing my 2nd section hike this summer. I did my first in 2015 from GA to NC, 150 miles in 9 days. This summer I'll do New Jersey and part of NY or PA. I only have five days this year.

A key piece of gear that I use on the trail and in training is an REI fanny pack, very sturdy and roomy without being large. I wear it low on my hips, just below my pack belt and snug around my pelvis. The back buckle rests right in the slight dip in my lower back and doesn't bother me with my pack sitting nearly on top of it.

I noticed last time I was on the trail that no one else had a fanny pack and never hear mention of them on gear lists.

A fanny pack to me is the perfect trail accessory.

I keep my TP, wipes, knife, fork/spoon combo, hand sanitizer, hard candies, my phone and the day's snack and pages from the AT guide in there. The beauty of it is that when I get to camp or need to take off my pack for other reasons, I have everything I need for "walking around" -- for bathrooming, meals, taking a picture, looking at the map -- still on my person. No need to dig around in my pack or to carry these items on my back all day.

If you're not sure if you would like having one on the trail, try one on training hikes.

Can't wait to get back out there! The AT is calling me home...

Scout

English Stu
05-31-2017, 06:26
I did use one for a trip on European Alps. It was useful and came about to keep essentials in on flights when the backpack was put in the hold. I cut off most of the heavy belt and buckles and added cord and tied a quick release knot to secure it.:)
I now use hip belt pockets for quick access things, suncream, toileting bits, mini foot blister pack. For airport use I now have a small silnylon backpack which later doubles as stuff sack.

bigcranky
05-31-2017, 06:49
I wear my little Walmart waist pack on every hike, though I wear it in front. It holds my camera, wallet, and plenty of other small useful items that I want to have with me all the time.

skater
05-31-2017, 08:04
I use a chest pack (similar to a Ribz or Hill People rig but DIY) that serves the same purpose. Very handy indeed. Just be sure not to expand the list of things you take just because you have the space for it.

lonehiker
05-31-2017, 08:10
I've seen a handful over the years use them. If it works, why even ask about it?

lonehiker
05-31-2017, 08:13
I've re-read the OP and guess that you weren't really asking, simply informing.

becfoot
05-31-2017, 08:44
Thanks for posting this. I actually just asked about this on another forum, so this was super helpful.

Venchka
05-31-2017, 09:51
Interesting.
Define "Hack". I keep running into it. Obviously not in the same context as computer invasions or saws.
I own several small waist packs and a large lumbar pack. I doubt that I could put everything that the OP lists in one of the fanny packs. They aren't very big.
Of my 4 remaining backpacks, I can't picture wearing any of them correctly and having a place for the fanny pack. Just the thought of the buckle in the middle of my back all day is painful. If I put the small pack below the belt of the larger pack I couldn't walk.
Glad it works for you.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk