PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Essentials Bulk 1lb cans Freeze-Dried Meets?

righand
05-31-2017, 11:50
Hi
i hiked 1000 miles in 2014 and i know how hard and expensive it is to get protein on the trail.. i have a question for the hikers this year. I was thinking about selling a few of the large cans of Emergency Essentials freeze dried Meets in the classified section Ham,white turkey, roast beef, sausage crumbs, Italian meet ball.. . the cans are large over a 1lb do you think hikers would buy them? its the same as mountain house just in bulk so hikers would have to repackage or have the families back home repackage and send it to the hikers in mail drops or something the cans sell for like 60.00 retail and i would be asking like 29.00 honestly its a great deal. but i am just not sure if hikers would buy these or not.. what do you think?

righand
05-31-2017, 12:01
meat is spelled wrong! no way to correct it LOL

DownEaster
05-31-2017, 14:12
Only way to know is to try and see what response you get. Personally I'm happy packing cheese for most of my protein needs, with foil packs of tuna and the occasional summer sausage for variety.

righand
05-31-2017, 14:30
cheese is nothing like real meat though! im just gonna list it and see what happens. thanks for your reply!

BuckeyeBill
06-01-2017, 05:48
You can get most of your real meat on your in town stops. Watched one guy down three triple cheeseburgers with everything one time. I carry jerky for meat on the trail along with tuna and chicken packs. There is always SPAM singles that can be eaten right from the package or fried up for breakfast. For lunches I like summer sausages and extra sharp cheddar or swiss cheese.

As far as your cans go, I will agree that your price is a good deal, but after looking at Emergency Essentials website, even buying in bulk you would be losing money, that is unless you are buying by the truckload. Imitation meats were priced priced in a way you could make a profit. Also your buyers would need a vacuum sealer and a supply of desiccant bags to keep it fresh.

As Down Easter said go for it and see what happens. good luck.

Just Bill
06-01-2017, 11:21
Looks like you're competing with Amazon as well... depending on your actual canister sizes.

Unfortunately not as many of us doing meals as there used to be either.

DuneElliot
06-01-2017, 11:43
I have a whole bunch I'm trying to get rid of (different brand but same FD bulk #10 cans)...will probably use some of them for upcoming hikes and give the rest away. I'm moving into an RV in September and just don't have the room for more than what I already have. It'll be a waste, but I can only find room for around 50 cans in my camper and I'm sacrificing storage for other things.

Venchka
06-01-2017, 19:00
Keep our group in mind for September.
I'll trade toting dog food and beer for freeze dried food.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelph
06-01-2017, 20:13
I have a whole bunch I'm trying to get rid of (different brand but same FD bulk #10 cans)...will probably use some of them for upcoming hikes and give the rest away. I'm moving into an RV in September and just don't have the room for more than what I already have. It'll be a waste, but I can only find room for around 50 cans in my camper and I'm sacrificing storage for other things.

Send me a pm if you want to get rid of them early.