PDA

View Full Version : unwanted companions

tagg
05-31-2017, 14:29
On a recent section hike in VA, my partner and I passed a guy heading in the other direction more than a few miles from a road crossing. He had three beagles in tow, and he looked pretty distressed. He told us the dogs had been following him for hours, that he was really worried about them but hadn't been able to get close enough to them to check their collars, and he didn't know what to do. Dude was waaaay more stressed out than he should have been. We talked about it for a minute or two, but as we went our separate directions, the dogs followed me instead of him. I said to him over my shoulder, "Well, you're in luck, they aren't following you anymore." He called back to us, pleading with us to take care of the dogs and to try to find their owner.

Umm, no. I told my partner that those weren't my dogs, that I don't even own a dog of my own and am not looking to take care of someone else's animals, and I was just going to pretend like they weren't walking in a line 3' behind me. Well, that got old after a couple of miles because I couldn't think about anything else, so eventually I was able to lure one of them in close enough with some jerky to get his owner's name off of his collar. We called "Buckshot" and left a voicemail telling him his dogs would be at the trailhead at the next road crossing in about 30 minutes. We still hadn't heard from him by the time we got there, so we distracted the dogs with some more jerky near a picnic table, made our escape, and didn't see them again.

Later that afternoon, I mentioned it to a couple of girls that we met, and one of them LOST HER MIND because we left those dogs behind. Told us we had no heart, and that we should hope nothing happened to those dogs, that they didn't get hit by a car, etc. because we would be responsible. I thought she was joking at first, but she was not. How would we be responsible?? And how long were we supposed to sit and wait for Buckshot to call back? In the end, I just agreed that she was a better person than us and moved along. I still don't believe we did anything wrong, but I have to admit that after the dogs had been following me for a few miles, I did start to feel a twinge of responsibility for them.

However, it did make me wonder...if you've ever had an animal latch on to you for an extended period of time during a long distance hike, what did you do about it?

Feral Bill
05-31-2017, 14:40
Not your responsibility.

righand
05-31-2017, 14:45
never had it happen but if i did i would do as you did, and if i came across a person that got distressed at my solution i would give them direction to the dogs.. it is most likely hunting dogs that are lost, people are looking for them and they will find them... no worries

Sarcasm the elf
05-31-2017, 15:00
It's tricky. If I saw a dog that by my observation appeared to be a hiker's lost pet then I'd probably try to help. If I saw three beagles like you describe I'd likely assume that they were a local's hunting dogs that were roaming and that they'd just head on home when they got bored.

I've found that a lot of people from suburban areas don't fully appreciate that in many rural areas dogs are allowed to roam and there is no need to "save" some local's dog that is out on it's daily stroll.

Odd Man Out
05-31-2017, 15:15
It's tricky. If I saw a dog that by my observation appeared to be a hiker's lost pet then I'd probably try to help. If I saw three beagles like you describe I'd likely assume that they were a local's hunting dogs that were roaming and that they'd just head on home when they got bored.

I've found that a lot of people from suburban areas don't fully appreciate that in many rural areas dogs are allowed to roam and there is no need to "save" some local's dog that is out on it's daily stroll.

Yes, exactly. I owned a beagle as a kid in the suburbs. It was impossible to keep him contained. He was always gone but always found his way home. I'd be more worried if I saw them roaming the suburbs. In thecwoods, they don't need saving.

Pastor Bryon
05-31-2017, 15:46
I think you did just about right.

Only thing different is maybe you should have given the distressed girl "Buckshot's" number and let her handle it from there. :)

Starchild
05-31-2017, 15:55
Mooching trail dogs. They live nearby and go on trail to follow hikers to try to get a treat, they will latch on to hikers in the opposite direction to come back, never really staying with anyone that long as they have a home that they want to get back to.

Maineiac64
05-31-2017, 16:05
You have no technical "responsibility" but we can have compassion for other creatures and people and go out of our way to help when we can. Some people have a greater sense of this than others but its your life to live. It was nice of you to be creative and call the owner. You could have also called the police or animal control and let them take it from there.

bigcranky
05-31-2017, 16:29
Lots of hunting dogs are allowed to roam and/or get loose. Sometimes Good Samaritan hikers get in trouble for adopting one, and the owner gets mad - they are expensive dogs. Best to leave them alone, so I agree you did right.

We found a goat in a remote area on the trail in Virginia. She was dragging ten feet of chain, and it had gotten hung up in some rocks, so she'd have died if we left her. I freed the chain, and she followed us for miles and miles. No collar, no tags, no one to call. I expect there were several goat dairy farms in the area, she could have come from any of them. She eventually wandered off when we got near a road crossing.

Alligator
05-31-2017, 16:36
What did I do? I consulted with my hiking partner who concluded the dog was a hunting dog. it was looking a bit skinny and had a tag on its collar. We attached a rope to the dog's collar and hiked it out to the road. Before reaching our parking area, we crossed the property of a thruhiker (triple crowner). He took responsibility for calling the owner, who picked up the dog.

Sounds like three hunting dogs so possibly they would wander home eventually. You can't save every stray animal you run across. On the other hand, you had a collar and a phone number and a cell phone. It was a half-hearted attempt you made. You waited thirty minutes and that was it. Seriously, not enough time to get to a rural area. The dogs could have been miles away from home and the owner could have been working. Beagles are all nose and don't know much about cars. They catch a whiff of something and they are off. Did you want the owner to show up at the road with one of the dogs run over? You couldn't wait an extra hour because ... you were on vacation? It was an easy opportunity to practice compassion. If self-interest is the prime motivator, consider you might have been rewarded.

Tipi Walter
05-31-2017, 17:12
I consider stray, roaming hunting dogs to be in the same category as abandoned pets and these pests glom onto me for days at a time with no relief. They will claw my tent and thermarest, steal my food, jump into my tent and even pull my dog's pack out of a tree to get to the food. Real pests. And they often follow me for days.

Where are the owners? Dang good question. If I left my dog out in the middle of nowhere for days at a time, especially in the winter, I'd be cited by the forest service. The saddest sight is seeing these dogs shivering at 10F and wearing not one but three cumbersome battery collars---as below---

Hunters and people should stay with their animals---for the duration.

saltysack
05-31-2017, 17:29
I consider stray, roaming hunting dogs to be in the same category as abandoned pets and these pests glom onto me for days at a time with no relief. They will claw my tent and thermarest, steal my food, jump into my tent and even pull my dog's pack out of a tree to get to the food. Real pests. And they often follow me for days.

Where are the owners? Dang good question. If I left my dog out in the middle of nowhere for days at a time, especially in the winter, I'd be cited by the forest service. The saddest sight is seeing these dogs shivering at 10F and wearing not one but three cumbersome battery collars---as below---

Hunters and people should stay with their animals---for the duration.

Yep I've had same thing happen a few times especially during bear season in NC....red necks sitting on their fat arse drinking Budweiser at the gap while the dog follows me! What does that say about my stench![emoji51] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/58bfc4e4999f7f1cb6f44e138539eb41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpburdelljr
05-31-2017, 17:52
It was a half-hearted attempt you made. You waited thirty minutes and that was it. Seriously, not enough time to get to a rural area.

He did not talk to the owner, he left a message on voicemail.

greenmtnboy
05-31-2017, 18:19
Law enforcement issue, report them to whoever has jurisdiction over lost stray pets in that area, animal control people know how to deal with them. And I thought the topic was about people you were hiking with who you wanted to loose.....

JC13
05-31-2017, 20:08
The only mistake you made was telling a female about it.

skater
05-31-2017, 20:10
I love dogs. A lot. But you did absolutely nothing wrong. In fact, you did more than you were obligated to do. Don't lose sleep over this.

Heliotrope
05-31-2017, 20:21
I had two dogs surprise a friend and me out of the blue while hiking. They glommed onto us and as we were heading back to car we let them tag along. Brought them into town and left them with the police. You made an honest effort. But your choice how much you want to be involved.

MuddyWaters
05-31-2017, 21:05
I dont allow dogs to follow me.

By doing so you are likely getting them even farther lost from their owner or home.

If you allow them to follow you, I think you start to bear some responsibility for them.

All you have to do is be mean and holler at them and they wont.

TexasBob
05-31-2017, 22:30
What did I do? I consulted with my hiking partner who concluded the dog was a hunting dog. it was looking a bit skinny and had a tag on its collar. We attached a rope to the dog's collar and hiked it out to the road. Before reaching our parking area, we crossed the property of a thruhiker (triple crowner). He took responsibility for calling the owner, who picked up the dog.

Sounds like three hunting dogs so possibly they would wander home eventually. You can't save every stray animal you run across. On the other hand, you had a collar and a phone number and a cell phone. It was a half-hearted attempt you made. You waited thirty minutes and that was it. Seriously, not enough time to get to a rural area. The dogs could have been miles away from home and the owner could have been working. Beagles are all nose and don't know much about cars. They catch a whiff of something and they are off. Did you want the owner to show up at the road with one of the dogs run over? You couldn't wait an extra hour because ... you were on vacation? It was an easy opportunity to practice compassion. If self-interest is the prime motivator, consider you might have been rewarded.

The dogs are the owners responsibility not some random hiker who happens on them by chance. Don't berate this guy because he tried to be helpful but not as helpful as you deem he should have been.

fiddlehead
06-01-2017, 01:06
I dont allow dogs to follow me.

By doing so you are likely getting them even farther lost from their owner or home.

If you allow them to follow you, I think you start to bear some responsibility for them.

All you have to do is be mean and holler at them and they wont.

What he said ^.
I remember this happened a lot in the deep south back in '77 when I hiked, and again in '89.

Alligator
06-01-2017, 03:57
The dogs are the owners responsibility not some random hiker who happens on them by chance. Don't berate this guy because he tried to be helpful but not as helpful as you deem he should have been.Having been in a very similar situation, I found the level of effort lacking. He had a phone and a telephone number. It would not have taken particularly long to reach the owner, he only gave the owner 30 minutes to get back in touch. He didn't even really wait that long, it was the road crossing he was approaching.
Then he left the dogs by the side of the road.

I'm responsible for my own dogs too. While rare, once in a while they get loose. I am very thankful when somebody takes the time to secure them before getting smeared on the road. It's what good people do, isn't it? They help those in need.

That's how we got both my dogs. Rescuing a stray and a drop off puppy from the road. Was my youngest who brought home the stray. Said to my wife "Mom I just couldn't leave her in the road." We'd only had her a month or so when someone was knocking on my front door round 9:30 p.m. Wasn't expecting anyone and I was a little gruff answering the door. Was my neighbor across the street. My neighbor was holding the new dog who had dug under the fence on her potty break. Really good people the couple across the street, nice neighbors.

BuckeyeBill
06-01-2017, 04:16
When I lived in NYC, my wife brought an abandoned dog from the dog run. A true mutt (looked like a rottweiler and something else) with big flapping joules. I told her we could not keep it as we already had a dog, 2 cats, a parrot and a 3 foot iguana. She told me that we would only have it long enough to find it a home. Well over the course of a few days we got attached to him and decided we would keep him.
I had called the police, Humane Society, and the ASPCA, and they all told me that I could claim ownership if I wanted it and thanked me for caring for it. I went with my wife to the dog run that afternoon and the guy that abandon it tried to get it back, when a Humane Society Officer took his jacket off and handcuffed him and charged him with animal cruelty as the temperature that day had been hovering around 100*. Bubba and Henry still sleep beside my bed every night and remind me of my wife who passed away in 2001.

TexasBob
06-01-2017, 10:38
Having been in a very similar situation, I found the level of effort lacking. He had a phone and a telephone number. It would not have taken particularly long to reach the owner, he only gave the owner 30 minutes to get back in touch. He didn't even really wait that long, it was the road crossing he was approaching. Then he left the dogs by the side of the road. .....

My point is the guy tried so give him a break. You are making an assumption that it would not have taken long to reach the owner. You don't know when the owner would have called back. It could have been hours or never (which apparently was the case because the OP doesn't mention ever getting a call back).

Stone1984
06-01-2017, 11:02
Did he try yes, but keep in mind it is not the dogs fault its owners have not taken the time to properly care for them. I am not sure what the right thing to do is here as I have never been in that situation. But I would remind anyone in this situation that it was not the dogs choice to get lost in the woods.

FlyPaper
06-01-2017, 11:49
There was a dog we encountered near Laurel Creek falls that has a sign attached to it explaining that the dog was not lost. My guess is the owner got tired of having people "return" a dog that wasn't lost.

perdidochas
06-01-2017, 12:41
On a recent section hike in VA, my partner and I passed a guy heading in the other direction more than a few miles from a road crossing. He had three beagles in tow, and he looked pretty distressed. He told us the dogs had been following him for hours, that he was really worried about them but hadn't been able to get close enough to them to check their collars, and he didn't know what to do. Dude was waaaay more stressed out than he should have been. We talked about it for a minute or two, but as we went our separate directions, the dogs followed me instead of him. I said to him over my shoulder, "Well, you're in luck, they aren't following you anymore." He called back to us, pleading with us to take care of the dogs and to try to find their owner.
Umm, no. I told my partner that those weren't my dogs, that I don't even own a dog of my own and am not looking to take care of someone else's animals, and I was just going to pretend like they weren't walking in a line 3' behind me. Well, that got old after a couple of miles because I couldn't think about anything else, so eventually I was able to lure one of them in close enough with some jerky to get his owner's name off of his collar. We called "Buckshot" and left a voicemail telling him his dogs would be at the trailhead at the next road crossing in about 30 minutes. We still hadn't heard from him by the time we got there, so we distracted the dogs with some more jerky near a picnic table, made our escape, and didn't see them again.
Later that afternoon, I mentioned it to a couple of girls that we met, and one of them LOST HER MIND because we left those dogs behind. Told us we had no heart, and that we should hope nothing happened to those dogs, that they didn't get hit by a car, etc. because we would be responsible. I thought she was joking at first, but she was not. How would we be responsible?? And how long were we supposed to sit and wait for Buckshot to call back? In the end, I just agreed that she was a better person than us and moved along. I still don't believe we did anything wrong, but I have to admit that after the dogs had been following me for a few miles, I did start to feel a twinge of responsibility for them.
However, it did make me wonder...if you've ever had an animal latch on to you for an extended period of time during a long distance hike, what did you do about it?

I think you went above and beyond what you needed to do for kindness sake.

Gambit McCrae
06-01-2017, 12:52
If I encountered...
A hunting dog- I would act as if its not there.
A pet- I would try for a 2-3 min time period to try and retrieve some information from a collar- I don't know what temperament this dog has, I don't know if its owner is ghost camping over the side of the ridge or if I am going to get bit while trying to help a situation I am not 100% sure about.

A lot of us travel a very far distance to hike. At this point I am driving 400 miles one way to complete the next nearest section of un hiked trail. I would be mighty upset if at some point in my trip I put myself in a situation that resulted in a dog bite, when the owner was around the corner.

Now I do understand that someone could point out the fact that I could just as easily get bit sitting at a shelter with the owner present. This is true however if an aggressive dog is with its owner, most owners are pretty good on the trail of keeping their distance(not all< but most). However, avoiding this situation with the lost dog scenario I am increasing my odds by avoidance.

"You have no heart you SOB, BOOHOO!" .....How many dog pounds did you pass to get your whiny butt here? Why aren't you volunteering at them right now instead of walking in the woods?

jackwagon
06-01-2017, 13:37
In Maine it's illegal, under the portion of hunting law that prohibits interfering with hunting, to interfere with hunting dogs, as well. A game warden let a friend know about this when she kept a hunting dog near her truck and called the wardens to help her find the owner. This dog didn't have a radio collar or any other indication that it was a hunting dog, other than it being a breed that's more commonly used for hunting bear. The warden said that any action that keeps the dog from doing what it's intending to do is interference. So giving it jerky to get it to do something could be considered that. Is it likely that it would result in a misdemeanor charge, no, but it's still breaking the law (in Maine).

I'm not sure about dogs that aren't likely to be hunting dogs, but in my view for the case of the OP, the responsibility lies on the owner, not on whoever the dog may become attracted to. The OP did more than required in that situation, IMO.

Bronk
06-01-2017, 14:03
In many rural areas people simply shoot stray dogs. Sad, but definitely true. People get tired of inconsiderate neighbors who moved to the country so they could just let their dogs and children run wild. Then the dogs start killing their neighbor's chickens. Or chasing their cows. Or spreading their trash halfway down the road. People get sick of it. And then they shoot the dogs. If you live in the country and your dog doesn't come home one day, this is what likely happened to it. And your neighbor will never tell you what happened to your dog either. They will just shoot it and bury it like they would a raccoon or other pest threatening their livestock. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

MuddyWaters
06-01-2017, 14:22
In many rural areas people simply shoot stray dogs. Sad, but definitely true. People get tired of inconsiderate neighbors who moved to the country so they could just let their dogs and children run wild. Then the dogs start killing their neighbor's chickens. Or chasing their cows. Or spreading their trash halfway down the road. People get sick of it. And then they shoot the dogs. If you live in the country and your dog doesn't come home one day, this is what likely happened to it. And your neighbor will never tell you what happened to your dog either. They will just shoot it and bury it like they would a raccoon or other pest threatening their livestock. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Fences cost $
A lot more $ than the dog most of time

Worked with a guy many years ago that had a dog on his street chase him. He fed it hamburger with broken glass in it. It lived. He fed it hamburger with poisons in it, it lived. Eventually he killed it, I dont remember how.

We were sued and had to get rid of a dog when i was a kid, it dug up neighbors flower beds.

evyck da fleet
06-01-2017, 14:35
The OP did nothing wrong. They just happened to tell their story to a nut job who loves dogs a little too much. They'll be a few on here as well. I've had hunting dogs follow me as well as strays that I've chased away and those that wouldn't leave. The only time I've felt the need to do or say anything was when I was approaching a dog owner with my unwanted companion and they began to bark at each other. I told the owner the stray wasn't mine so he would know to act accordingly.

As has been said, you are under no obligation and trying to call was more than necessary. The dog is the owner's responsibility.

Seatbelt
06-01-2017, 14:38
In Maine it's illegal, under the portion of hunting law that prohibits interfering with hunting, to interfere with hunting dogs, as well. A game warden let a friend know about this when she kept a hunting dog near her truck and called the wardens to help her find the owner. This dog didn't have a radio collar or any other indication that it was a hunting dog, other than it being a breed that's more commonly used for hunting bear. The warden said that any action that keeps the dog from doing what it's intending to do is interference. So giving it jerky to get it to do something could be considered that. Is it likely that it would result in a misdemeanor charge, no, but it's still breaking the law (in Maine).

I'm not sure about dogs that aren't likely to be hunting dogs, but in my view for the case of the OP, the responsibility lies on the owner, not on whoever the dog may become attracted to. The OP did more than required in that situation, IMO.
There are laws here in Indiana that protect hunting dogs as well. A friend of mine was coon hunting one night and his dog got into a barking match with a home-owner's dog. The home-owner got out of bed and shot the hunting dog right in his own driveway next to his house. Cost him around 10k for that shot.

Tipi Walter
06-01-2017, 15:19

You bet your butt I'll do all I can to stop a stray abandoned hunting dog from tearing up my tent or stealing my food when I'm out on a long backpacking trip. In fact, the hunters I talk to don't want their dogs glomming onto me for severals days and in a single voice tell me to "beat them with a stick" to get them away from me or out of camp. Strong words but these are local boys who don't think twice about branding their dogs with hot irons, leaving them lost for days at a time, and wrapping their necks up with battery packs.

Jackwagon's post reminds me of a trip I pulled in March 2010 when I was backpacking thru the NC mountains during winter and was on the Benton MacKaye trail heading off Hangover Mt into Big Fat Gap, a deadend parking lot for rolling traffic. There was a forest service sign posted in the Gap which read---

"ATT: Forest Users: Hunting is a time-honored sport and is legal in the National Forest. Many hunters use dogs for hunting. These dogs have collars that allow the hunters to find their dogs after the hunt. These collars do not hurt the dogs, these collars are tracking collars. It is against the state law(Statute 14-401.17)to remove or destroy these collars. Please leave the dogs alone so the hunters can find and care for their dogs. VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED!!"

Sure enough. And yet as I looked around thru the gap there was beaucoup trash and cans and human-generated litter and fire rings built by hunters in the center of the gravel lot. So, being the hiker idiot I am, I wrote this in my trip report---

"Where are all the signs warning against litter? Where are the bear proof trash cans like in TN? Why isn't the bulletin board fixed or removed? Here's how I'd rewrite the stupid sign:

"ATT: Out of State Forest Users: Littering is a time-honored sport and is part of the local culture and is legal in the National Forest. Whenever you find cars and trucks you'll find the grand southern tradition of discarded beer cans, plastic bottles, used toilet paper and turds, cigarette wrappers and butts, garbage bags and minor or major trail sign vandalism. If you see a smoldering firepit leave it alone. Dogs are frequently left to fend for themselves overnight and for several days while their owners are at home sitting on couches and sleeping in warm beds. This is especially true in the winter. If you see a skinny shivering dog in your camp clawing into your tent or pulling apart your food bag, DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, because if you do you will be violating NC state Statute 6-666-piggy "Simple Dog Interference" and/or "Shining The Light On Hunter Malfeasance", section 00-69-666shoaty." It's against state law to complain about hunters, to point out hunting infractions, and to criticize them or their dogs. Onboard Collar Recorders will record all hiker interactions with hunting dogs and upon retrieval appropriate legal actions will be taken. Remember: People who show compassion or exhibit stern commands to hunting dogs will be violated."

So ended my 7 year old rant, a rant provoked by scores of hunting dogs invading my camps over the last two decades. It's a grand southern tradition.

tscoffey
06-01-2017, 16:24
Hounds in general, and Beagles in particular, have perhaps the best scent tracking abilities of any dogs. Trust me - those dogs' noses know exactly where home is, and how to get there. They'll be fine.

Seatbelt
06-01-2017, 16:32
Hounds in general, and Beagles in particular, have perhaps the best scent tracking abilities of any dogs. Trust me - those dogs' noses know exactly where home is, and how to get there. They'll be fine.
While this is true to an extent, it is not always true. If they were driven several miles from home before being turned loose to hunt, they might not make it home on their own. Spoken by a hunter of many years of experience.

Alligator
06-01-2017, 17:36

While this is true to an extent, it is not always true. If they were driven several miles from home before being turned loose to hunt, they might not make it home on their own. Spoken by a hunter of many years of experience.Or they pick up the scent of a rabbit and follow it into the road. My beagle mix as a kid loved chasing rabbits. He got hit once by a vehicle, i can't say he was chasing a rabbit. Somebody shot him once too. Shouldn't have been running around but he was an escape artist. Chewed through doors, slipped out of collars, chewed leads, and could climb chain link fences, even ladders but only up.

JohnHuth
06-01-2017, 19:15
"ATT: Out of State Forest Users: Littering is a time-honored sport and is part of the local culture and is legal in the National Forest. Whenever you find cars and trucks you'll find the grand southern tradition of discarded beer cans, plastic bottles, used toilet paper and turds, cigarette wrappers and butts, garbage bags and minor or major trail sign vandalism.

Good one!! I like it.

I can imagine a similar sign up in Maine on some of the fragile coastal islands about traditions established by lobstermen.

blw2
06-01-2017, 19:33
exactly right!
I raised a couple litters of beagles when I was in high school many years ago. Dad & I used to hunt them along with some other friends that also ran packs of beagles. The best dogs wouldn't stray off like that for too long, but it was not uncommon for them to run a long way chasing a deer. They would sometimes be gone many days but would eventually track themselves back home. Those dogs were not lost, they were smart. Got your jerkey didn't they?

And I think elf was right.... urban folks probably just don't understand country practices

Grampie
06-01-2017, 21:47
Not your responsibility.

My daughter has a saying that fits this situation.
"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

becfoot
06-02-2017, 00:42
I have probably rescued and returned dogs to their owners at least ten times in the past eight years. However, that was while local to where I live, and usually dogs that either wandered onto my property or dogs that got out and then got lost in my immediate vicinity. I had the benefit of having leashes, treats, a charged phone, internet connection, and a car to meet the owner. When you're hiking, you have limited resources and , even as a dog owner and dog lover, it isn't fair to expect a hiker to work dog rescue miracles. Sounds like OP did right.

MtDoraDave
06-02-2017, 07:47
As someone pointed out, the dog's owner never called the OP back, so how many days should he have sat at that gap waiting for the dogs' owner to come along or return his call? I think did nothing wrong... except perhaps to allow the dogs to follow him. As someone else said, 3 beagles in the woods are probably hunting dogs and should be left alone or discouraged from following you.

I saw a thread on FB recently, where someone "saved" a dog that was loose, and moved out of state before realizing they couldn't keep it (I forget why, but it doesn't matter in this case), THEN they tried to find the original owners...

I'm not saying there aren't any cases where a dog found by a road somewhere doesn't need saving. My dog of 14 years was one of such. But that goes beyond this thread/ forum's scope. If a dog of a hunting breed tries to follow me on the trail when I'm out of state hiking, I'll discourage it from following me rather than adopt it as my new friend or taking responsibility for it. If I come across a dog on the trail that doesn't appear to be a hunting breed, but possibly a local's dog that got out or a hiker's pet that wandered off - and has no collar to identify the owner - I still believe the dog has a better chance of getting back to the owner with its nose rather than with mine.

garlic08
06-02-2017, 07:56
What someone said about the dogs mooching food from hikers was probably right. They're smart that way. I bet they knew exactly where they were and what they were doing.

On my CDT hike a three-legged dog latched onto me in W. Glacier and followed me into the Park, despite pebbles thrown and scolding. It stayed just out of throwing range for a dozen miles to a ranger station where I found a LEO to take it back to town. She knew that dog.

BuckeyeBill
06-02-2017, 10:49
I have mentioned in another thread about owners training their dogs. I do know that hunting dogs are a "different breed" and are very expensive and specially trained. However they should not be permitted to run wild in the woods unless their owner is within a reasonable proximity to the dogs. I do believe that under the correct circumstances (owners in the immediate area) hunting dogs should have special protections in place. However, irresponsible ownership should come into play as well. If you see a locator collar on the dog, you should do what you can to discourage the dog(s) from following you. Do not beat them with a stick, I won't throw rocks or sticks at them. Totally ignoring them is the best approach. As with all animals that you don't own, don't feed them or you will have more problems with them than you want. I only will get involved with another persons dog if it is injured and then only if I am sure I won't get bitten in the process.

All dogs can tell when they are around "dog people" and act accordingly. You should always let a dog approach you. Only show the back of your hand towards them, as this show a non-aggressive posture. When they are close enough to your hand, let them smell it first, then come up under their chin to pet them. Never come down from the top as this may be interpreted as a act of aggression. Once they can tell you mean them no harm, you can pet the top of their head, but I suggest that you use both hands, one on top and one from underneath. Also remember, NO MATTER WHAT THE OWNER SAYS, ALL DOGS CAN BITE.

tagg
06-02-2017, 10:53
My point is the guy tried so give him a break. You are making an assumption that it would not have taken long to reach the owner. You don't know when the owner would have called back. It could have been hours or never (which apparently was the case because the OP doesn't mention ever getting a call back).

I'm the OP...sorry, I should have mentioned...Buckshot did call back that night while we were sleeping, left a message on my cell saying thanks and that he got his dogs. He said they had been gone for a few days. So all ended well, but truthfully, even if he never called back I still wouldn't think I did anything wrong. I was just curious as to how others would handle it after I got some push back from another hiker.

Alligator
06-02-2017, 11:51
You posted this knowing he called you back...so you already knew you had a positive outcome?

My key point was this. You unwillingly led the dogs out of the woods to a road crossing. Would you leave a three year old human in a similar place? No, because the child does not understand the risk of walking into the road. OOoo buttafly....Same thing for a dog. OOOooo deer....chase deer....Especially a scent hound, as they are singleminded when pursuing game. It's not a good idea to leave dogs near the side of a road even tbough it ended well this time. Most people become indifferent to the road kill they pass everyday but animals get hit by cars on a regular basis, whether they are strays, lost, or in their own neighborhood.

Thank you for making the call, it was more than many others would have done at all.

earlyriser26
06-02-2017, 12:16
Had a similar thing happen to me in Virginia. Me and a friend were hiking and a Jack Russel terrier started following us. He had no collar and followed us for 10 miles. It was cold and raining. We were picked up by a shuttle in the middle of no where. We left the dog with the woman that gave us the ride and she said she would attempt to find its owner. If she was unwilling to take the dog, we would have had to leave it.

Francis Sawyer
06-02-2017, 13:02
A shot across the bow with some pepper spray is usually enough to cause a stray dog to lose interest. It doesn't hurt them.

TexasBob
06-02-2017, 21:11
I'm the OP...sorry, I should have mentioned...Buckshot did call back that night while we were sleeping, left a message on my cell saying thanks and that he got his dogs. He said they had been gone for a few days. So all ended well, but truthfully, even if he never called back I still wouldn't think I did anything wrong. I was just curious as to how others would handle it after I got some push back from another hiker.

It was nice of "Buckshot" to call and let you know he appreciated your help and the dogs got back home safe and sound. I am glad everything turned out OK.

Traveler
06-03-2017, 06:14
You posted this knowing he called you back...so you already knew you had a positive outcome?

My key point was this. You unwillingly led the dogs out of the woods to a road crossing. Would you leave a three year old human in a similar place? No, because the child does not understand the risk of walking into the road. OOoo buttafly....Same thing for a dog. OOOooo deer....chase deer....Especially a scent hound, as they are singleminded when pursuing game. It's not a good idea to leave dogs near the side of a road even tbough it ended well this time. Most people become indifferent to the road kill they pass everyday but animals get hit by cars on a regular basis, whether they are strays, lost, or in their own neighborhood.

Thank you for making the call, it was more than many others would have done at all.

Outcomes aside, the key word in the admonition is "unwillingly". The OP had dogs follow him unwillingly, something a lot of us experience over the years. The only real recourse when this happens is try and shoo the pests away and keep walking. In this instance it failed to dissuade the dogs and the OP continued to walk as this was the only logical option.

Crossing a road on the AT is inevitable at some point. However dogs are not 3-year old human beings so the level of assumed responsibility scales accordingly. If the dogs were prone to chase deer, they would have likely done so regardless of a road crossing nearby and probably had many times before. While I understand the admonition about not leaving a hunting dog by the side of the road because they are "single minded" when hunting (apparently hunting hikers that day), there were few options outside of trying to reach the owner. Setting up camp at the roadside to ensure the dogs wouldn't wander into traffic, wait for an owner who may never show up, or waiting for the dogs to leave on their own aren't viable options, especially if there is a schedule that has to be met.

I agree the OP did more than a lot of people would have in calling the owner, however responsibility for the animals rests with the owner, not the unwilling participant the animals happened upon during their outing.

Tipi Walter
06-03-2017, 08:21
If you see a locator collar on the dog, you should do what you can to discourage the dog(s) from following you. Do not beat them with a stick, I won't throw rocks or sticks at them. Totally ignoring them is the best approach.
ALL DOGS CAN BITE.

So, what do you recommend to keep a hunting dog from following me or staying in my camp? Here's some recent dog pics encountered on my backpacking trips---

This guy followed me for several days.

These guys hung out with me and would not leave.

An emaciated dog out for at least a week and found on Slickrock Creek in NC.

This guy wouldn't leave camp and spent the night on the Rocky Flats trail in Citico wilderness. Protect your food, boys.

Another pest surveying my camp on Four Mile Ridge.

This idiot takes the cake---on a recent trip---he hung out at a reststop and lifted his leg and peed on my beloved pack. Cur!!!

And this hiking dog actually bit me and drew blood. (Hangover Mt, NC, 2005).

Finally, this pic must be included and shows the all-important Circle of Anuses so popular with hiking dogs. Randy is lucky and is part of this special Circle.

BuckeyeBill
06-03-2017, 11:03
Tipi,
About hunting dogs:
I guess I should have said don't feed them, don't encourage them in any manner, if you're ready to break camp and move on; do it. My experience shows that several "Get out of here", "Go home" and/or just a loud "GO" usually works especially around other people, because they get upset with you for yelling at the "poor thing". Tell them they can take care of it then. Don't get me wrong I love dogs, I just don't like irresponsible owners. They should have been close enough by them to get them under control.

I have a couple of rescue dogs now, but I took the time to train them properly. They do listen to me, they don't jump on people or sniff human butts or crotches and they don't bark when someone rings the door bell. Even as well as they are trained, I would never take them on a hike with me. I am sure they would enjoy it, but they really enjoy laying around the house much better.

The owner of the dog that bit you, should be drawn and quartered for failing to control their dog.

Tipi Walter
06-03-2017, 11:33
Tipi,

The owner of the dog that bit you, should be drawn and quartered for failing to control their dog.

As you say, any dog can bite and I wasn't about to alter or curtail (no pun here) my trip just because the thing snapped. The owner was apologetic and I'm not the type to give a crap (short of being dead in two weeks from rabies)---and I certainly would never snitch out anyone to the guvmint.

BuckeyeBill
06-03-2017, 11:59
As you say, any dog can bite and I wasn't about to alter or curtail (no pun here) my trip just because the thing snapped. The owner was apologetic and I'm not the type to give a crap (short of being dead in two weeks from rabies)---and I certainly would never snitch out anyone to the guvmint.

OK, but a few hours on the rack might straighten him out.:D Pun intended.

Alligator
06-04-2017, 01:40
Outcomes aside, the key word in the admonition is "unwillingly". The OP had dogs follow him unwillingly, something a lot of us experience over the years. The only real recourse when this happens is try and shoo the pests away and keep walking. In this instance it failed to dissuade the dogs and the OP continued to walk as this was the only logical option.

Crossing a road on the AT is inevitable at some point. However dogs are not 3-year old human beings so the level of assumed responsibility scales accordingly. If the dogs were prone to chase deer, they would have likely done so regardless of a road crossing nearby and probably had many times before. While I understand the admonition about not leaving a hunting dog by the side of the road because they are "single minded" when hunting (apparently hunting hikers that day), there were few options outside of trying to reach the owner. Setting up camp at the roadside to ensure the dogs wouldn't wander into traffic, wait for an owner who may never show up, or waiting for the dogs to leave on their own aren't viable options, especially if there is a schedule that has to be met.

I agree the OP did more than a lot of people would have in calling the owner, however responsibility for the animals rests with the owner, not the unwilling participant the animals happened upon during their outing.No he never said he tried to shoo the dogs away. He said he just kept walking and ignoring them "for a couple of miles".

Chasing deer deep in the woods isn't a real problem, the risk "scales up" next to the road. Which is where he left them.
Other options:
1. Shoo the dogs away if you don't want them following. Tell 'em to git. NO. NOW GIT!
2. Splash them with water, send a rock crashing. Appear menacing. The farther away when you do this, the more space they have to leave. Dogs are smart they understand an angry human. They won't want to stay. I'm not saying provoke the dog. A little foot stomping, maybe a short chase they run off. Much better for them than letting them follow you four miles.
3. Not wanting to wait at the roadside? Make the call to the owner and tie the dogs up in a safe spot. Call the local police, ranger, animal control. Let them know the dogs are there and that the owner's number is XXX-XXX-XXXX, it's on the collar. There ought to be some rope or cord between two hikers.

He's on vacation. If people can't be bothered to do the right thing when the situation warrants it when they are on their free time, when's it ever going to happen? Going to the store? Running errands? On the way to work?

We talk about the magic of the trail. Be the magician when it's your opportunity.

MtDoraDave
06-04-2017, 06:43
Tie up someone else's dog? No.

I get what you are trying to do, and I certainly don't want to pick a fight with a moderator of a forum I enjoy, but there are several ways that can end badly for the dog.

Traveler
06-04-2017, 15:16
No he never said he tried to shoo the dogs away. He said he just kept walking and ignoring them "for a couple of miles".

Chasing deer deep in the woods isn't a real problem, the risk "scales up" next to the road. Which is where he left them.
Other options:
1. Shoo the dogs away if you don't want them following. Tell 'em to git. NO. NOW GIT!
2. Splash them with water, send a rock crashing. Appear menacing. The farther away when you do this, the more space they have to leave. Dogs are smart they understand an angry human. They won't want to stay. I'm not saying provoke the dog. A little foot stomping, maybe a short chase they run off. Much better for them than letting them follow you four miles.
3. Not wanting to wait at the roadside? Make the call to the owner and tie the dogs up in a safe spot. Call the local police, ranger, animal control. Let them know the dogs are there and that the owner's number is XXX-XXX-XXXX, it's on the collar. There ought to be some rope or cord between two hikers.

He's on vacation. If people can't be bothered to do the right thing when the situation warrants it when they are on their free time, when's it ever going to happen? Going to the store? Running errands? On the way to work?

We talk about the magic of the trail. Be the magician when it's your opportunity.

Given these were described as hunting dogs, which are protected by laws forbidding interfering with them, the trail magic accompanying them may be a signifiant fine if not some guys with attitude in a pick up truck who own them. I take no responsibility towards these animals and am indifferent to their business whenever they show up. Stray dogs on the other hand are a different and I will and have taken some responsible measures to help much as you suggest.

English Stu
06-05-2017, 06:28
I was followed by a bear hound complete with radio collar, it followed me for hours. I did try and shoo it away. I was pleased when it followed a hiker going the other way.

tagg
06-05-2017, 12:07

I posted despite the fact that it was a positive outcome because I was curious what others would have done in the moment without benefit of knowing it was going to work out well.

I see your point about not leaving them by a road, perhaps it would be better to try to leave them farther up trail and then make the call telling him where I saw them last. My thinking in this case was that the dogs were heading south when they latched onto me heading north, so we were walking back towards where they came from. I don't think I'll ever consider setting up camp and waiting to hear from an owner of a dog that might not even need saving, but I'm not completely heartless and certainly don't want to put them in danger. I just don't think I have a moral obligation to see it through to the end, and was curious what other people think. Just like everything else, I suppose it's no surprise that there are passionate people on both ends of the spectrum, which is probably a good thing.

Berserker
06-05-2017, 13:25
I'm a dog lover (have one myself), and I wouldn't have done anything more than the OP. Usually if I see dogs that appear to be hunting dogs when I'm hiking I just leave 'em be. Glad to see that the OP followed up in the thread here, and let us all know that that the dude got his dogs back.

mankind117
06-05-2017, 17:48
I was camping on Bob Bald in the Nantahela national forest about 6 years ago with relatives. In the middle of the night a lost hunting dog wandered into my cousin's vestibule. It just followed us the next morning as we walked out. Luckily we came across a hunter who claimed he knew the owner when he saw the tag and we left him with the hunter. Not sure what we would have done if we had not found the hunter.

One Half
06-05-2017, 18:32
Dogs are not children!

Your dogs, your problem.

I have no obligation to help a dog whether they follow me or not.

LittleRock
06-06-2017, 12:51
You're much nicer than me - I once had an underfed hunting dog start following me and I just turned around and shouted at it until it went away.

peakbagger
06-06-2017, 13:14
I ran into a few strays while sectioning down south. I asked several rural locals over the years about animal shelters and they pretty much told me that the animals take care of themselves and if they aren't smart enough to get out of the road they deserve to be hit. I also heard from a few that if stray is problem it isn't for very long before it gets lead poisoning. There seems to be lot less responsibility for dogs in the rural southeast than up north based on these limited discussions. Maine and NH animal shelters are always getting van loads of strays from shelters down south for adoption. Apparently spay and neuter seems to be far less popular in the south so the stray population is probably higher. Perhaps folks from "away"may be imposing their values on a different approach to dogs down south?

Alligator
06-06-2017, 23:06
I ran into a few strays while sectioning down south. I asked several rural locals over the years about animal shelters and they pretty much told me that the animals take care of themselves and if they aren't smart enough to get out of the road they deserve to be hit. I also heard from a few that if stray is problem it isn't for very long before it gets lead poisoning. There seems to be lot less responsibility for dogs in the rural southeast than up north based on these limited discussions. Maine and NH animal shelters are always getting van loads of strays from shelters down south for adoption. Apparently spay and neuter seems to be far less popular in the south so the stray population is probably higher. Perhaps folks from "away"may be imposing their values on a different approach to dogs down south?Summarizing-Unrestricted breeding solved by running over or shooting strays...quick to learn strays are free to spread disease, starve, and die from exposure...doesn't quite have a humane ring to it.

How long you got to live in a state before youse ain't considered from away? I know it's just about forever in Maine.

MuddyWaters
06-07-2017, 00:14
How long you got to live in a state before youse ain't considered from away? I know it's just about forever in Maine.

This is a frequent topic of discussion about some rural places my employer has facilities in. Basically, its very hard to make inroads into the local community if you transfer there, your always an outsider, doesnt matter if you live there 40 yrs.

A coworker of mine put it this way, her sons were born elsewhere, but grew up, went to school, and graduated HS in their town they transferred to for work. They are outsiders.

Her daughter was born there, and grew up there, shes considered an outsider too.

Her daughters children..if she marries an stays there..might be accepted as locals. If your parents werent born there, grow up and go to school there, youll never be considered a local and invited and included in certain things. Outsiders are seen as transient, transfer in, leave after a few yrs. People are nice to you, they just think of you as temporary.( Many are) In school for instance, on sports teams, locals will be given prefence for playing unless your just outstanding.

Tight knit community of 10,000. Most of the families are from the area for 100+ yrs.

This particular little town has a university, and a couple of mfg plants that bring in employees to area. Basically, the kids from these employers that transfer there, are all outsiders, hang around together, and do sports together that locals werent really interested in, like swim team and band. They dont play football or baseball for the most part, having learned at young age they will not get equal treatment to real locals kids.

TexasBob
06-07-2017, 17:29
Summarizing-Unrestricted breeding solved by running over or shooting strays...quick to learn strays are free to spread disease, starve, and die from exposure...doesn't quite have a humane ring to it. ........................

You and I see our animals as beloved companions and virtual family members. Sadly and unfortunately many people see animals as a tool or implement that has a specific purpose or function and when the critter no longer can fulfill that purpose or function they discard the critter the same way you or I would get rid of a broken TV or toaster. A dog that doesn't hunt or a greyhound that too slow to race anymore are seen by some as worthless and a liability rather than an asset. Cheaper to shoot the dog than feed it. A dog that can't reproduce is seen by some as "ruined" and useless. Not a pretty picture and not one I condone. Economic circumstances, upbringing, community norms and education all play into how you view the value of an animal and how you treat them.

LittleRock
06-08-2017, 08:15
This is a frequent topic of discussion about some rural places my employer has facilities in. Basically, its very hard to make inroads into the local community if you transfer there, your always an outsider, doesnt matter if you live there 40 yrs.
And this would be one reason why populations in rural America continue to decline. I live in a city where most everyone was born somewhere else, and no one cares. In fact, lots of them grew up in small towns like the one you describe and got the heck out of there as soon as they could.

LevyTheSoBoHoBo
06-08-2017, 11:17
I think you did just about right.

Only thing different is maybe you should have given the distressed girl "Buckshot's" number and let her handle it from there. :)

I bet she would have said it's not her responsibility to clean up your mess. But SJWs rarely use logic.

I'd feel bad, maybe call 2x and a text, but after that, those dogs are smart. They probably chill by the trail knowing they had free handouts of jerky coming.

Plus if they looked clean, fed, and healthy then all is well. If not, maybe a little more effort to help them out.

TNGabe
06-09-2017, 07:31
If the urban North is so much better than the rural South, maybe y'all should stay up North. Would you go to Rome and complain about all the Italians?

Bronk
06-09-2017, 08:27

A coworker of mine put it this way, her sons were born elsewhere, but grew up, went to school, and graduated HS in their town they transferred to for work. They are outsiders.

Her daughter was born there, and grew up there, shes considered an outsider too.

Her daughters children..if she marries an stays there..might be accepted as locals. If your parents werent born there, grow up and go to school there, youll never be considered a local and invited and included in certain things. Outsiders are seen as transient, transfer in, leave after a few yrs. People are nice to you, they just think of you as temporary.( Many are) In school for instance, on sports teams, locals will be given prefence for playing unless your just outstanding.

Tight knit community of 10,000. Most of the families are from the area for 100+ yrs.

This particular little town has a university, and a couple of mfg plants that bring in employees to area. Basically, the kids from these employers that transfer there, are all outsiders, hang around together, and do sports together that locals werent really interested in, like swim team and band. They dont play football or baseball for the most part, having learned at young age they will not get equal treatment to real locals kids.I know a lady who moved here about 25 years ago...she told me that her daughter in law once said "I knew I was going to marry Josh [her son] when I was in first grade." The reason? He was the only boy in her class that she wasn't already related to.

greensleep
06-10-2017, 08:34
I know a lady who moved here about 25 years ago...she told me that her daughter in law once said "I knew I was going to marry Josh [her son] when I was in first grade." The reason? He was the only boy in her class that she wasn't already related to.

I've lived in Florida now for more years than anywhere else; over 30 years. I am still considered a "live in tourist" by the occasional local. What a thread drift.

FatMan
06-10-2017, 09:16
Around here there are plenty of local dogs that work the trails and campgrounds. What I mean by that is they know hikers and campers will often give them treats. I suspect my dog might be guilty of such behavior. She knows that Gooch Gap is a delicatessen of dropped and dumped food. My advice is to leave any dog you see alone. No need to call the owner as the dog will head back home for dinner. Hikers always think they are out in the wilderness and miles away from civilization but nothing is further from the truth on the AT. If a dog is lost, someone will put up a notice at the road crossings. In that case, call the owner and let them know where you last saw the dog.

Bronk
06-10-2017, 10:48
Around here there are plenty of local dogs that work the trails and campgrounds. What I mean by that is they know hikers and campers will often give them treats. I suspect my dog might be guilty of such behavior. She knows that Gooch Gap is a delicatessen of dropped and dumped food. My advice is to leave any dog you see alone. No need to call the owner as the dog will head back home for dinner. Hikers always think they are out in the wilderness and miles away from civilization but nothing is further from the truth on the AT. If a dog is lost, someone will put up a notice at the road crossings. In that case, call the owner and let them know where you last saw the dog.So true. You think you are miles from civilization but if you camp on a ridgeline or other high place that illusion will be shattered when the sun goes down and you are surrounded by lights. You really aren't that far out, and people who live nearby may have dogs that roam during the day and return home at night.

BlackCloud
06-10-2017, 12:04
Only in America would people have nothing more important to freak out about than some K-9s in the woods. I despise the woman the OP described as blaming him for not taking care of those animals. Emotional, irrational, and annoying.

When a stray dog gets too friendly with me it gets me walking stick. Gently at first. Not so gently thereafter. If that doesn't work, it gets rocks. That does it every time. I have seen stray dogs piss on a tent and another try to steal food. Steal my food 10 miles from a road I will hurt you.

I don't like people who release their domestic animals on nature and the community at large. I also cycle, and often get chased by neighborhood pouches. My fav was along the Mickelson Trail, a beautiful Rail Trail in SW So. Dakota. Going through some town or other a dog started to run alongside us. As the trail returned to the woods, the dog continued for several miles. Anytime it started to drop back I rang my bell & that spurred fido on some more. The trail began a loooong downhill and we kept going, me ringing my bell, and the dog's tongue dipping further and further to the ground. All told, fido ran 11 miles with us before the trail descended too steeply and left him behind. I had no idea a dog could run that far w/o stopping! The uphill walk back home hopefully taught him to stay away from cyclists.....

bushwhacker88
06-12-2017, 08:53
Years ago my girlfriend at the time, her daughter Ashley (7 yrs. old), and I visited Canada creek falls near Suches. A very adorable dog appeared. It obviously craved attention and the 7 yr. old had a ball playing with it. The dog had a collar with a phone number. This was in the Dark Ages before cell phones. When it came time to go the dog pursued us literally for miles (slow going on a rough F.S. road.) Ashley cried and cried saying it was lost and needed rescuing. Against my better judgement we picked up the dog and retraced our route to the only homes near the area which were a mile or so from the falls. No-one home so we took the dog home with us 40 miles away. We finally got an answer from the owner a couple of days later. They owned one of the houses fairly close by and only came up on weekends, leaving the dog alone all week long. We were the third ones to pick up their dog and bring it home with us. We kept the dog till the next weekend during which time Ash became very attached to it then took it back to its home where no-one was present. Once again it followed us literally for miles down the f.S. rd (this was before the bridge washed out over Canada creek, road is no longer maintained) and shortly after I finally outran the dog I saw a bobcat cross the road in my rear-view mirror (one of the very few I have ever seen up here, I see tons more bears than bobcats.) Hope he made it. I suggested to the owner that he put a sign on the collar indicating that it was not lost. Some people shouldnt have pets!

peakbagger
06-12-2017, 10:46
There was a somewhat famous local dog in the whites that would hang out at trailhead and "adopt" a hiking party going up Mt Chocurua a very popular mountain to hike. The dog would usually join them to the summit and then adopt another group to go down with. There are trailheads on all points of the compass and the dog would frequently end up at the wrong trailhead. If the dog wasn't home in the evening they would drive around and pick it up. I think they posted flyers and had a tag on the dogs collar saying it was not a lost dog.

atraildreamer
06-12-2017, 17:31
I've lived in Florida now for more years than anywhere else; over 30 years. I am still considered a "live in tourist" by the occasional local. What a thread drift.

I thought all Floridians were from somewhere else! :sun

I am from Providence, RI and was staying at the HoJo in Clermont, Florida. While having dinner at the attached restaurant I struck up a conversation with a pretty blond-haired, blue-eyed waitress with a nice southern dialect. A typical belle of the South, or so I thought. :rolleyes:

"Where are y'all from?", she asked.

"Providence", I replied. "Where are you from?" I inquired.:confused:

"Richmond", she said.

"Richmond, Virginia?", I asked.

"No, Richmond, Rhode Island", she replied.

You just never know... :-?

Smithereens
06-12-2017, 22:05
I seldom ever admit this to anyone so don't spread it around!

Despite my hillbilly looks, attitude and accent, I am a Yankee. Actually, one of the worst kinds of Yankee... a Bostonian!:eek: I was very young when we moved to Tennessee and my mother was a native here. But me? I was born "up north" and my dad was a Boston native. So I can rightfully claim to be from Boston, but that doesn't make it accurate.

I thought all Floridians were from somewhere else! :sun

I am from Providence, RI and was staying at the HoJo in Clermont, Florida. While having dinner at the attached restaurant I struck up a conversation with a pretty blond-haired, blue-eyed waitress with a nice southern dialect. A typical belle of the South, or so I thought. :rolleyes:

"Where are y'all from?", she asked.

"Providence", I replied. "Where are you from?" I inquired.:confused:

"Richmond", she said.

"Richmond, Virginia?", I asked.

"No, Richmond, Rhode Island", she replied.

You just never know... :-?

BlackCloud
06-12-2017, 23:51
Florida is a sunny place for shady people...

Leo L.
06-13-2017, 03:50
I have a completely different attitude against (stray) dogs, based on experience.
In Southern Europe, as well as in the Middle East, there are very few privately owned dogs, but strays are a serious plague.
They typically live around litter places.
The ones that stray around populated areas do this for begging or stealing food.
As a foot traveller/hiker you many times have to cross the "litter cordon" around towns, by this crossing through the living area of the local stray dogs pack.
This is anything but comfortable, sometimes even dangerous.
Its best practice, and I had to learn this the hard way, to carry a club or some stones when going there.
So whenever I see a (stray) dog, by instinct I bend down to pick a stone.
I would never come near the idea to take care of a stray in a positive way.

BuckeyeBill
06-13-2017, 10:01
I have a completely different attitude against (stray) dogs, based on experience.
In Southern Europe, as well as in the Middle East, there are very few privately owned dogs, but strays are a serious plague.
They typically live around litter places.
The ones that stray around populated areas do this for begging or stealing food.
As a foot traveller/hiker you many times have to cross the "litter cordon" around towns, by this crossing through the living area of the local stray dogs pack.
This is anything but comfortable, sometimes even dangerous.
Its best practice, and I had to learn this the hard way, to carry a club or some stones when going there.
So whenever I see a (stray) dog, by instinct I bend down to pick a stone.
I would never come near the idea to take care of a stray in a positive way.

I was just about ready to ask if anyone has come across of stray/feral dogs running in a pack. I read in the paper awhile back about a pack of dogs running around the city. They were attacking other dogs, cats and went after a child playing in her backyard. After several attempts to tranquilize and capture them, the decision was made to shoot them. I didn't know how I felt about this until I thought of them attacking my grandchildren. I then agreed with the city's decision. It is sad that this had to happen.

Leo L.
06-14-2017, 17:17
Yes, I happened to run into a very agressive pack of dogs once. Had to fight for my life (at least this was my impression) with a heavy club, finally a native rescued me.
When reading The Tracker by Tom Brown it remembered me on this specific event.

peakbagger
06-14-2017, 17:55
Loggers and folks in the woods used to have no problems shooting dogs that were running deer. Even domestic dogs will get caught up in it on occasion.

BuckeyeBill
06-14-2017, 22:37
I just finished reading this article (https://www.outsideonline.com/2177341/theres-no-such-thing-good-dog?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Indefinitely-Wild-06132017&utm_content=Indefinitely-Wild-06132017+Version+A+CID_30844073b08d97f6e29e20b041f ff6ef&utm_source=campaignmonitor%20outside&utm_term=READ%20MORE) from Outdoor magazine that deals with what it takes to have a good dog.

GoLight
06-16-2017, 19:20
The dogs are the owners responsibility not some random hiker who happens on them by chance. Don't berate this guy because he tried to be helpful but not as helpful as you deem he should have been.
I was searching for something to say in the OPīs defense, but you said it better. I agree, the OP did practice compassion by leaving a message for the owner where he could retrieve his dogs, and the OP took time to feed them some expensive jerky, so yeah, that was a good deed in my eyes.