PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles: Black Diamond vs Leky?

Indigo Hawk
06-01-2017, 00:36
I've been watching videos on gear and have seen both used so I figured it'd be an interesting question. So, experiences and comparisons of the two? Have an entirely different choice in brand? What's your preferred grip and locking style?

Mountain Wildman
06-01-2017, 01:00
I had the Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork poles and they were nice but I heard too many stories of their horrible customer service and warranty, I sold them before using them and bought a pair of Leki Corklite poles, Leki has a lifetime warranty on the aluminum poles if there is a shaft breakage, I've heard nothing but good about their customer service, especially from incidents while on trail, I liked the cork handles better on the Black Diamond but the Lekis are decent also, I prefer the flip locks over the twist locks, I have used the Lekis and I have no complaints, I haven't heard anything recently on Black Diamond service but quality customer service is important to me.

BuckeyeBill
06-01-2017, 04:58
+1 on the Leki Corklites with Flip Locks. They recently changed the lock so it is tighter and smaller (i.e. Less weight). Never had any trouble with mine. Some folks say go to Wally World, but I would say get yourself a set of Leki poles and get out often to use them.

egilbe
06-01-2017, 05:07
I fell on my black Diamond Ergo Alpine Corklites, breaking a shaft section and had the piece mailed to me within the week. I thought their cistomer service was pretty good.

Starchild
06-01-2017, 06:50
I've heard very good things on Leki's customer service even replacing things beyond what they cover, and bad things about Black Diamond - basically saying that yes you broke them, want to buy a new set? The advantage of Black Diamond as I looked several years ago was lighter weight and some innovative designs like their folding models.

And just mentioning there are also some far cheaper options, and a lot of those now offer carbon fiber options.

cmoulder
06-01-2017, 06:59
Cascade Mountain Tech (https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Carbon-Fiber-Trekking/dp/B01MUFDBQ9)

I don't even need these but I bought a pair just to see if they live up to their hype.

I've hiked only 35 or so miles with them but they're really quite decent, especially at that price.:sun

hikermiker
06-01-2017, 07:44
Flick Locks. If they get loose they can be tightened.

nsherry61
06-01-2017, 10:30
Both Leki and BD are good poles. I've had nothing but excellent customer service from both companies over the years. I would never avoid a BD product out of customer service fears. That being said, Leki customer service does have a reputation of being ridiculously generous.

I agree with above posts that the various types of flick-locks are much nicer to use than the twist locks. And, the BD flick-locks are my favorite of the various flick-locks I've used or played with.

Finally, for me, the big difference between BD and Leki (FYI, I am currently using BD poles) is that I slightly prefer the top knob on the Leki grips better than the top knob on the BD poles and the Leki tips are slightly shorter than the tips on the BD poles (the length of the tip below the basket). And, I find the longer BD pole tips get caught in the mud much more frequently than the slightly shorter Leki tips.

If I had both Leki and BD poles sitting side by side, both the same weight and both with flick locks, I'd grab the Lekis.

evyck da fleet
06-01-2017, 10:46
The first time a BD pole failed on my thru (5 years ago) they replaced it. Unfortunately, the other fell into disrepair a year later but I bought another pair because I liked them. When one of those failed last year I got the we can sell you a new pole (for twice the price for a set of theCascades) so I made the switch.

I'll use the BDs for long trips but for daily or weekend use it's the Cascades as the BDs can't handle my normal usage.

illabelle
06-01-2017, 11:27
I use Leki poles. My husband uses BD. At the time, BD was recommended to us because they had some elliptical-shaped poles that were a bit stronger and more resistant to bending forces than the typical circular shape. My husband is a big guy and had bent a few poles previous to that. His BD have held up well.

Sarcasm the elf
06-01-2017, 11:36
I have a strong preference to poles where the expandable sections are tightened using a lever or flick lock system, as opposed to poles that use a twist lock style bushing.
Leki used to only make poles with the twist lock style fitting, which is why I bought black diamond. Now that Leki also makes poles that come with a lever lock, I would say that the two companies are equally good.

Sarcasm the elf
06-01-2017, 11:37
I use Leki poles. My husband uses BD. At the time, BD was recommended to us because they had some elliptical-shaped poles that were a bit stronger and more resistant to bending forces than the typical circular shape. My husband is a big guy and had bent a few poles previous to that. His BD have held up well.
I have two sets of BD poles, one pair is that elliptical model and absolutely love them. It really
is a shame that they discontinued that design.

DuneElliot
06-01-2017, 11:41
I also use Cascade Mountain Tech...300+ miles on them so far and they have held up well. Flick/flip locks only.

Indigo Hawk
06-01-2017, 12:20
Just took a peek at the Cascade Mountain Tech and for a price like that I'd at least try them.

Any other brands out there that someone has tried? REI seems to have a large line of poles and Dicks Sporting Goods has a few. So, store brand opinions?

(Also, I hate spelling. I did mean Leki.)

Starchild
06-01-2017, 12:25
Perhaps they were stronger but not due to them being elliptical. The elliptical shape will add strength only along bending around the elongated diameter while losing strength around the shorter diameter
, and in all this being on average weaker than if it was cylindrical. Added strength would come from added material or stronger alloys.

illabelle
06-01-2017, 13:56
I have two sets of BD poles, one pair is that elliptical model and absolutely love them. It really
is a shame that they discontinued that design.

I didn't know they were discontinued. Guess we'll have to take good care of these!

Perhaps they were stronger but not due to them being elliptical. The elliptical shape will add strength only along bending around the elongated diameter while losing strength around the shorter diameter
, and in all this being on average weaker than if it was cylindrical. Added strength would come from added material or stronger alloys.

Hmm. Makes sense. Didn't think about that. I guess I thought it was kind of like how a corrugated sheet of metal is very resistant to bending in the direction of the corrugations. But yeah, it would bend easily in the other direction. Anybody out there making a corrugated trekking pole?

soumodeler
06-01-2017, 14:08
I use a set of Leki CorkLites mainly because I liked the grip better than any others I tried. Although I do prefer the flick locks over the twist style, it is not a deal breaker should I find a grip I like better.

Engine
06-01-2017, 20:19
Neither. Cascade Mountain Tech from Amazon. MUCH lighter and 1/2 the cost of anything from BD or Leki.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Traveler
06-02-2017, 07:19
Much like footwear, trekking poles are a very subjective bit if gear that only the user can properly identify what is best for them. For some, carbon fibre poles are great due to their low weight and predictable impact points. For others the slightly heavier aluminum poles provide a better solution or feel. There is no "better or best" pole, there is only the pole set right for the individual.

Myself, I have a set of aluminum, flick lock BD poles with well over 2000 miles on them without a problem. Since I use them most all the time their weight is not a factor. When I stand on a scale resting the poles on the floor and holding them, my body weight goes down a few pounds, so logically, they pay for themselves in weight costs when used.

To find the pole and grip type best for you requires a trip to a retailer or several that have a lot of different types and models you can look through and try in the store.

Maineiac64
06-02-2017, 12:32
I have a strong preference to poles where the expandable sections are tightened using a lever or flick lock system, as opposed to poles that use a twist lock style bushing.
Leki used to only make poles with the twist lock style fitting, which is why I bought black diamond. Now that Leki also makes poles that come with a lever lock, I would say that the two companies are equally good.

100% agree on staying away from twist-lock.

Lyle
06-02-2017, 17:17
Do yourself a huge favor and don't follow the masses. Check out and try PacerPoles. Unique - a great improvement over traditional grips.

http://pacerpoles.com/

MuddyWaters
06-02-2017, 17:52
Do yourself a huge favor and don't follow the masses. Check out and try PacerPoles. Unique - a great improvement over traditional grips.

http://pacerpoles.com/
Pacer poles been around a long long time

Ifn they wuz the greatest thing on the trail, the majority would use them by now. Or especially for cross country skiing...

Their best feature imo, is they are impossible to use wrong

Unlike the people that refuse to use straps and use their poles correctly, placing load across palm with strap. People invent all kinds of reasons to do things their way....

The reason that they're not more popular is that they are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Or exists for just a few people

Mugthumper
06-03-2017, 22:42
I would never consider buying twist lock poles again. However, they served their purpose when I started out at only $15 for the set I purchased. Flick lock models were much more pricey and I didn't know at the time if poles were something that I would even want to use frequently. Since then I moved on to a pair of Black Diamond Trails that have been nothing short of awesome. I've put around 800 miles on mine and besides some chipped up paint they are as functional as the day they were purchased. My poles are the only piece of gear that I would say actually get abused. But they've never even so much as slipped on me even when Ive had to put a large portion of my 200+ lbs on them a handful of times. My favorite feature of the BD Trail poles is grip that extends an additional 6 inches which allows me to temporarily lower my grip while in the past I would have needed to shorten the poles length for the same effect.

I unfortunately do not have any experience with Leki poles. The Lekis that I have come across were running 2-3x the price of what I paid for my BD set ($50) and the weights were similar.

I plan to stick with aluminum over the lighter carbon fiber options for the foreseeable future. As mentioned previously they really are the only piece of gear I completely use and abuse and I like knowing that they can take whatever I throw at them.

handlebar
06-04-2017, 09:03
Never had any problems with the Leki twist lock poles (model was Makalu) that I had for over 10 years and over 6000 miles. Unfortunately lost one in the Gila River on the CDT and had to replace----with another set with twist locks, again no problems except me foolishly leaving them at a trail head. I've been very pleased by Leki's customer service. They even sent me new bottom sections when I broke one on the AZT via Priority Mail at their expense (2 bottom sections as they didn't have the shock absorbing ones and wanted me to have the same feel on both poles). My current set has flick locks also working fine. +1 on proper use of straps as noted above.

Lyle
06-04-2017, 09:20
My bet is that MuddyWaters has never owned or used a pair of PacerPoles, at least not for longer than 20 feet.

Runner2017
06-04-2017, 09:43
I bought a new one pair of Leki poles in May 2016. They have both twist and flip-flop mechanism built-in. When I section hiked from Springer to GA/NC border in April 2017, one of the twist failed to lock right after Neels Gap. I emailed Leki from their web site a couple times and there's no response even two months later today. I wouldn't buy another Leki products again.

MuddyWaters
06-04-2017, 10:02
My bet is that MuddyWaters has never owned or used a pair of PacerPoles, at least not for longer than 20 feet.

Correct.
Ive seen anothers, examined it, tried with it briefly.

They been around 16 yrs
Dontcha think they would have caught on......? A little maybe...?

They might be very good at one aspect of what a pole does, for some people, in some circumstaances. Maybe flat ground , where not needed at all btw. Seems to be where their demo propaganda is oriented. How about going uphill steep with poles extended behind you pushing yourelf up. Hows that wrist angle work then? Overextended?

I can tell you theyd really suck at pitching a tarp....
And are ridiculously heavy at 11+ oz each if I recall...
Deal breakers for many hikers
When you see competitive athletes use something, thats when youll know there may be a real advantage, thats all they care about. Any fkters or ultra runners using them?

There was extensive evaluation, testing, discussion about them 10+ yrs ago on bpl. The designer participated in some discussions.

Everyone likes something different. Thats why theres so many flavors of ice cream.

lonehiker
06-04-2017, 12:16
Everyone that uses poles will probably recommend what they have (myself included with BD) but I suspect either work just as well. I actually used Komberdell for about 15 years and really liked them. They had the twist lock which eventually started to slip. That is why I now prefer the flip-lock mechanism.

One comment I will make on Leki brand. In 08 on the AT it seemed as if a lot of people were having to get replacement parts for their poles. From what I understand, their customer service was top notch and readily did whatever to remedy the situation. But, I would rather not have to find out how a products customer service department is...

MuddyWaters
06-04-2017, 12:31
Everyone that uses poles will probably recommend what they have (myself included with BD) but I suspect either work just as well.

Precisely.

Also applies to just about everything...

I dont recomend what I use though. I generally prompt people should educate themselves, then reach a decision of what is best for them. Buying something because someone else uses it, isnt sound approach. Unless they are similar to you in ability, style, and intended use. What works for a 10 mpd hiker, may not for a 25. What works for a 150 lb person, may not for a 225. What works for someone that hikes till dark then sleeps, doesnt for someone that stops at 3pm and sits around camp for 4 hrs.

Unfortunately, too many want easy answers, tell them what to buy.

I like my twist locks, lighter than flip. Mine dont slip. Do the people with problems have bad designs, or poor maintenace, or operator error? Could slight mod like roughing inside of shaft solve their problems? They are all different, and there are tradeoffs.

The one thing that is ALWAYS true when you make blanket statements.....is that you are wrong.

SWODaddy
06-04-2017, 12:46
Both are top notch products. However, Leki has the better warranty and customer service, which makes it an easy call. Get the Lekis.

I did fall and bend a pole once. Emailed Leki pictures and my address and had a replacement to me in less than a week mailed Fedex. You can't beat that.

MuddyWaters
06-04-2017, 12:59
My poles

Arent available in US
Cant get spare parts
Are twist lock
No mfg support

Sucks right?

But they are:

3 piece collapsible
Very light, great grips and straps
Aluminum and durable, unlike some carbon
Long enough to pitch my tarp

Where my priorities lie
If someone wants same features, they will gravitate to them. If not, they will be happy with something different.

Lyle
06-04-2017, 17:22
Actually, I think they excel, and show their ultimate worth, on steep downhills - exactly when I want a pole the most.[/COLOR]

I can tell you theyd really suck at pitching a tarp....

I've been using the PacerPoles to set up my tents and tarps for years. The original Gossamer Gear "The One", Six Moon "Wild Oasis", and currently my Z-packs Hexamid Plus Tarp. Have also used them to set up my Speer Tarp when going to ground on hammocking trips. They work excellently.
And are ridiculously heavy at 11+ oz each if I recall...

I'll give you they are expensive, if the weight of the normal poles are too much, they do make carbon fiber as well. I think they are well worth the price. My original pair (about 12 or 14 years old) are still going strong. The twist lock has never slipped except when I wanted it to, and I lean on them when on steep descents, as I alluded to.

I think the main reason they have not caught on is because they are not sold through outfitters, only direct from the factory in GB. Couple with that the higher price and folks don't take a chance.

I got mine from Brian Frankle, when he was still running ULA. He highly recommended them and carried them for a few years.

I will never go back to traditional grips, been there, done that. These are substantially better.
Deal breakers for many hikers
When you see competitive athletes use something, thats when youll know there may be a real advantage, thats all they care about. Any fkters or ultra runners using them?

Actually, I couldn't care less about competitive hikers, or what they use, not even on my radar. I've hike more miles then most of them, perhaps you have too, I do not need a fkter or ultra runner to tell me what works. If you are infatuated with their feats, good for you, I get my own experience.

There was extensive evaluation, testing, discussion about them 10+ yrs ago on bpl. The designer participated in some discussions.

Everyone likes something different. Thats why theres so many flavors of ice cream.

So why are you denigrating them? Especially since you admit that you never actually tried them.

My comments above.

MuddyWaters
06-04-2017, 18:32
I think the main reason they have not caught on is because they are not sold through outfitters, only direct from the factory in GB. Couple with that the higher price and folks don't take a chance.

And I think the main reason they havent caught on is there isnt a widespread demand for a better, more complicated mousetrap.

Ive seen more GG, tigoat/ Ruta Locura, Locus poles on trails than pacer. None are sold in outfitters, none are cheap, all on market far far shorter time than pacer.

Heck my own poles arent available in US either. But I dont try to convince anyone to use them, because it dont matter to me. I not evangelizing them. I discuss the plusses and minusses.

At end of day, they all all just poles.

cmoulder
06-05-2017, 07:29
The very lightest PPs are 508g, without baskets. I have listed WTB posts a couple of times to try to find some handles to make my own much lighter version, and also contacted PP directly to see if they would sell me some handles. No go.

No, I am not buying some heavy-@$$ poles just to experiment with the handles. However I am willing to try the concept so if any PP People out there have some handles they are willing to part with reasonably cheaply I would buy them for a MYOG project.

Dogwood
06-05-2017, 16:57
What no love for Komperdell?Fliplocks, Komperdell Carbon Vario 4,...Do not like the Pacer pole grips. Liked the BD Ultra Distance UL carbon poles as well but the Komperdell Carbon Vario 4 have an AL lower shaft and a 3 yr no questions replacement guranteeeeeee. $$$ however!

Venchka
06-05-2017, 18:28
What no love for Komperdell?Fliplocks, Komperdell Carbon Vario 4,...Do not like the Pacer pole grips. Liked the BD Ultra Distance UL carbon poles as well but the Komperdell Carbon Vario 4 have an AL lower shaft and a 3 yr no questions replacement guranteeeeeee. $$$ however!

Aye. Komperdell. Twice. Aluminum 3 section twist locks. Had them forever. Still working perfectly. And the Carbon Vario 4 that Dogwood mentioned. Love them both.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder
06-05-2017, 19:54
For winter I use the REI Powerlock 3-section CF poles, which are made by Komperdell. Zero problems with a good amount of use... just too robust and unnecessarily heavy for 3-season use IMO. Not much lighter than many aluminum models.

AngryGerman
06-12-2017, 17:11
I agree with Dogwood and Venchka and prefer the Komperdell carbon variants w/flic-lock adjustments! That being said; I've also used Leki and BD trek poles. All versions serve the purpose. I personally do not use the cork style grips. Flic-locks are my preferred adjustment method but have used a set of Komperdell twist locks with no issues. If you are a novice to trek poles I highly recommend you read and watch instructions on how to use. After learning to use properly they will just be an extension of your arms making you a four legged hiker vs. two. I've had good warranty/customer service with all three company's I've spoken of. Went a whole through hike w/o replacing the tips on my Komperdell twist locks but did have to replace one section due to a fall. Still have all four sets of trek poles and use them all but tend to grab the Vario's first.

shelb
06-13-2017, 00:31
Definitely prefer the cork grips!!!!! THANK YOU, for bringing the on! Looking forward to running the romantic, relaxing, quiet area!