PDA

View Full Version : watch with altimeter?

blw2
06-01-2017, 20:02
I haven't worn a watch in years, since I started carrying a cell phone.
As I'm gearing up for backpacking, my phone is off and stowed.... so I was thinking about watches.
I know I know, who cares what time it is.... but I was thinking more in terms of tools such as altimeter. Also might sometimes want to know the time.
I used to be an analog watch guy. Don't like having to mess around and remember which particular combination of buttons to press for this or that...and guessing wrong half the time.
But Altimeter might be somewhat handy I suppose...or interesting at least. Not necessarily for the AT, but trails in general in the mountains or hills...
useful or no?
any suggestions as to which ones?

MuddyWaters
06-01-2017, 20:06
Useless gimmick, for outdoor pursuits.
Your approximate position on a map, or trail profile, is more accurate than an altimeter watch.

If you dont know where you are, you got more important issues at hand than what your altitude is.

Actually a watch tells you exactly where you are when you know pace.

I once used gps altitude ( very accurate) to watch how far to the top on uphills......too depressing. Especially with 11 yr old asking .."how much farther" every minute.

DownEaster
06-01-2017, 20:13
There are a few reasons to wear a watch.

Stay aware of the day of the week and time for post office mail drop availability.
Give yourself a solid (pack off) 5 minute rest every hour.
On overcast days, know when to stop for the day and set up camp before sunset.
Snack in anticipation of low blood sugar "danger times" (roughly 11:00 and 15:00) between major meals.

JohnHuth
06-01-2017, 20:14
But there are pressure changes with fronts coming through, so that throws it off. I can see it being a fun exercise, but I don't think it's necessary. A lot of times you can judge altitude with a topo and looking at nearby peaks.

I have a Brunton hand held weather gizmo, that also has a wind gauge. It was helpful on an outrigger sailing voyage in the Marshall Islands to figure out currents, true winds, that kind of thing. It also has a barometer in the mix - fun to play with.

Engine
06-01-2017, 20:16
Gotta call BS on this one. I use my Casio altimeter daily on the trail. It's extremely accurate when set in the morning to a known elevation. During the day, I refer to it often when climbing or descending. I can pretty well tell within a few minutes when I'll arrive at the top or the bottom...

Necessary? No...but nice all the same.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Miles 2 Go
06-01-2017, 20:46
I bought a LAD weather watch off Amazon, wasn't very expensive. It has an altimeter, barometer, compass and thermometer that work well. You do have to recalibrate the altimeter from time to time but it is easy to do.

Slo-go'en
06-01-2017, 20:54
Hum, it looks like you can spend some serious money on one of these watches. Or $40 for a Casio.

I'm afraid I'd become OCD with one of these, incisively checking the elevation and getting depressed seeing that I'd only climbed 50 feet since I last looked.

MuddyWaters
06-01-2017, 20:58
I'm afraid I'd become OCD with one of these, incisively checking the elevation and getting depressed seeing that I'd only climbed 50 feet since I last looked.

Yup
Damn them switchbacks
Could have been to the top by now

I hate long flat switchbacks that wrap around a whole mountain flank. Walk 1/4 mile and gain 30'.

Sarcasm the elf
06-01-2017, 21:30
Gotta call BS on this one. I use my Casio altimeter daily on the trail. It's extremely accurate when set in the morning to a known elevation. During the day, I refer to it often when climbing or descending. I can pretty well tell within a few minutes when I'll arrive at the top or the bottom...

Necessary? No...but nice all the same.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have a casio as well and have had very good luck with it. I've found it rather accurate so long as the weather stays relatively stable or it is calibrated at known points throughout the day. It works great in conjunction with contour lines to let me know where I am.

scrabbler
06-01-2017, 21:37
Here's a $45 ABC (altitude, barometer, compass) watch review. I've compared the readings to my $500 Suunto, and its been giving same readings. In fact my Suunto doesnt give accurate temps any more below 60 degrees, which is really annoying, which is why I tried this watch, and so far for the price it seems nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlszIM5021Y

peakbagger
06-01-2017, 22:22
I have been using an altimeter watch for bushwhacking for years. I most use it on trails to answer the question "where are we" or how much farther. The Casio's work great but eventually the buttons stop working. I was using another brand for a few years due to large display but they inevitably would leak after battery replacement. I have Suunto currently (bought on close out) it is more robust but the operation is overly complex.

Miner
06-01-2017, 23:09
On a warm day, I find my wrist swells some so I don't like hiking with a wrist watch, especially the altimeter ones as they are bulky. I wore one when I hiked the PCT. However, I do find them very useful. Just knowing my approximate elevation makes it easy to figure out where I am on the trail by matching the contour on my map. And I much prefer to hike in the coolness of the early morning, doing my fastest miles of the day, so having a clock/alarm is good. So I started to use altimeter watches that hang on a carbiner off my pack. Here is my current one on Amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GLLNHPQ/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It's from China and looks like a clone of my old High Gear watch that I can't find anymore.

lonehiker
06-02-2017, 00:10
As mentioned earlier, the best use for a watch is to estimate distance traveled or to project arrival time. You don't need any of the other gadgetry. Just go to Walmart and buy the cheapest watch they sell. People that say they use all of the other stuff (altimeter, barometer etc.) only use those features to justify the expenditure...

Leo L.
06-02-2017, 03:33
In addition to all what has been said here, I find a watch very useful when making an appointment, especially when in contact with civilisation.
This also may happen while hiking, like, telling my partner: "I want to look down this side track, give me 1hr to be back"), or similar.
I personally never carry a watch at the wrist, but always have access to the correct time in some way (most likely via the smartphone, nowadays).
You also can get a good estimation of the bearing by means of the clock and the sun, this way substituting a compass.

English Stu
06-02-2017, 05:54
Altimeter can be useful as another position decider in the mountains, especially in poor visibility.

Traveler
06-02-2017, 06:54
A map, compass, and watch are the three basic components to navigational pursuits. You can do a lot with these simple tools, so a watch is a good investment on a lot of levels. That said, watch altimeters can be interesting, but as a navigational aid they are of limited if not inconsequential value. There are few opportunities to correctly set the altimeter at the start of the hike, even less during the day to verify its accuracy. However, if the weather is stable the altimeter can be a relational tool to measure vertical progress regardless where the original altitude it is set, 200 vertical feet is 200 vertical feet.

saltysack
06-02-2017, 08:20
Save your money...I've had a both Casio and suunto for years....unless you calibrate daily it's not even close to being accurate yet I still wear it for alarm and time. I usually attach to daisy chain or chest strap on my pack......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
06-02-2017, 14:53
I've got a $50 Casio altimeter watch. Quite sensitive and accurate but of course subject to weather changes.

gbolt
06-02-2017, 15:43
I bought a LAD weather watch off Amazon, wasn't very expensive. It has an altimeter, barometer, compass and thermometer that work well. You do have to recalibrate the altimeter from time to time but it is easy to do.
+1 Same story as OP. I only wear a watch when hiking now. Love to check the change in elevation as well.

MuddyWaters
06-02-2017, 15:45
Heres the thing

Average climb might be 1000 ft, takes 1.5 hrs for 2 miles uphill.
I can guess within 200 probably where I am based on rough feeling. Without even looking at profile.

Yeah if accurate, it gives estimate of how much longer to top...for whatever thats worth to a type A.

Your not gonna look at watch hiking and think, "damn, Im at 4000 ft, thought I was at sea level". You simply already know where you are , within a couple hundred feet at all times. If you bother to look at map or profile, you know exactly.

Now, if yur skydiving, could be very useful
Or, in really high elevations you struggle to acclimatize to, where 500' makes big difference, etc

cmoulder
06-03-2017, 09:17
I have Casio and Suunto, although after the novelty of the altimeter wears off I find I rarely use it... it's hardly ever critical to know precise elevation, it's annoying to reset, and the button sequence for recording a hike is difficult to remember unless it is used very frequently.

That said, the barometeric graph on the Casio is very useful for checking the overnight trend, which when combined with other observations is good for predicting weather. The Suunto (Vector) has the arrows that work similarly, but I find I like the graph.

BuckeyeBill
06-03-2017, 10:25
Now, if your skydiving, could be very useful Or, in really high elevations you struggle to acclimatize to, where 500' makes big difference, etc

I wouldn't want to use anything other than a skydiving watch. You have to remember to zero it before takeoff and yes you do keep an eye on. But the rest of your information, as always is spot on.

BuckeyeBill
06-03-2017, 10:33
My girlfriend got me this Casio (https://www.rei.com/product/827093/casio-protrek-prw2500-1-multifunction-watch) a couple of months ago. It works great and I keep it strap to a shoulder strap on my pack. It took 2 days to learn how to do every thing on it, but it reminds me of her when I get out for some weekend hikes, as she is a hotel with room service only person.

MikekiM
06-03-2017, 11:16
Suunto Ambit user..

Can't say the alt info is critical on the trail, though it's fun to look at the history graph and see the gain & loss. I use the date more once I am home as I like to analyze cumulative gain/loss for an area.

I wouldn't recommend the Ambit unless you're multi using it.. I trail run, bike, trek and use the HR monitor as well, so for me it's irreplaceable wearable technology.

Miles 2 Go
06-03-2017, 13:37
The LAD ABC Weather watch for $45.00 off Amazon isn't a bad watch. Along with the altimeter it has a barometer that has a graph and in the left corner shows by symbol the weather prediction. I like the thermometer on the watch also, if you hang it off your shoulder strap it is accurate. I haven't used the compass much but think it would come in handy if I was turned around on the trail. The point is if you are going to purchase a watch for hiking why not get a watch with these features on a fairly inexpensive watch. Do you need those features, no you can hike without them but so far I like my LAD watch.