PDA

View Full Version : ATVs

DebW
02-03-2003, 11:43
Just attended a gathering of AT trail maintainers in the Berkshires. One issue discussed was the increasing use of ATVs on and near the trail. Just want to hear the perspective of hikers on this issue. Is it a serious problem? Have you seen ATVs riding of the AT? There are some state parks in Mass. in which ATVs are allowed, and ATV trails will cross the AT. But ATVers sometimes ignore or remove the 'foottravel only" signs at the trail crossings and ride on the trail itself, causing serious damage to the treadway.

By the way, the only place on the entire AT where snowmobiles are allowed is the Mass Pike overpass. That overpass is legally part of a snowmobile trail., but the snowmobile trail is officially closed in summer and there should be no ATV use there ever. But it happens. If you ever see ATVs riding on the trail, you could get their license number and report them.

Blue Jay
02-03-2003, 12:03
ATVs are a serious problem. Most of them do not have licence plates so you cannot report them. I do not know how to stop them other than violence, which I do not recomend. They do seem to be worse in Mass., but I hike there more than any other state. I do remember a bad spot in Virginia near the Overmountain Shelter.

ganj
02-03-2003, 12:12
ATVs on the trail: bad. Near the trail: I could care less. A lot of ATV users probably live in rural locations (ie near the AT) and I think they have every right to use other trails/roads.

jlb2012
02-03-2003, 13:25
Trail maintainers will sometimes leave a blowdown (stepover or high stepover) near the beginning of a section of trail just to keep wheeled devices off the trail - the approach works reasonably well.

DebW
02-03-2003, 13:28
Large boulders are used as well, spaced far enough to allow hikers to walk between but not ATVs..

Grimace
02-03-2003, 14:24
Any good tidbits you can pass onto fellow maintainers that you learned at your gathering?

DebW
02-03-2003, 14:45
Originally posted by Grimace
Any good tidbits you can pass onto fellow maintainers that you learned at your gathering?

There are new regulations for chainsaw use in the National Forests, which have been standardized on by the ATC. Takes a 3 day course to get certified. I presume you don't use a chainsaw, and I won't either. We learned about some endangered and unique plants in the Berkshires which some maintainers will have to watch out for. Expect the role of maintainers to expand slightly in coming years to include more monitoring of plants and historic sites, and perhaps in the far future monitoring of air or water quality. Nothing really new regarding maintaining skills, but some talk of proper blazing practices. We Berkshire maintainers were encouraged to get out to our sections in April and report chainsaw-worthy blowdowns by May so the trail can be clear and ready by early summer, and to do as much as possible on our own without waiting for the professional crews. We also compiled lists of projects that will be tackled by groups of volunteers this summer. The Shaker Campsite should get a new sign so that NoBos don't miss it, October Mountain should get a new privy hole, some drainage work, bog bridging and stepping stones needed in places.

Jack Tarlin
02-03-2003, 15:47
"Bad spot in Virginia near Overmountain Shelter?"

Interesting, since the shelter is in North Carolina, quite a ways from the Virginia border.

Blue Jay
02-04-2003, 08:47
I often don't know what state I'm in, or even what month it is when I'm on the Trail. Plus I haven't been there since 2000 or was it '99'. I like Virginia so much I tend to site everything there in my head, no matter where it actually is.

geoffrey morris
04-24-2004, 23:48
Hi everyone, hope all is well. First DebW, ATVs almost never have license tags so getting thier number is almost never going to be possible.Blue Jay you might be the one that gets hurt with the violence idea.HOG on ICE and anyone else ,did it ever occure to you all that some people might have permission to have an ATV on the trail lands as well as a truck or a tractor?That is the case for me in my area. I personally help a friend who has the land that the trail is on leased for the grazing of livestock. This reguires the use of such machines(ATV,trucks and tractors).So next time you see an ATV note if it is the type that might be used for working purposes(4 wheel drive maybe hauling materials things like that). As far as leaving things in your way such as logs and rocks,I'm an expert with a chain saw and my big 4 wheel drive tractor can move most rocks.Most of the time, if the person with the ATV has a right to be there they will tell the concerned hiker about what thier doing.If the ATV operator runs away then most likely they are not performing maintanance and most likely are not supposed to be there.

Tha Wookie
04-25-2004, 01:41
Hi everyone, hope all is well. First DebW, ATVs almost never have license tags so getting thier number is almost never going to be possible.Blue Jay you might be the one that gets hurt with the violence idea.HOG on ICE and anyone else ,did it ever occure to you all that some people might have permission to have an ATV on the trail lands as well as a truck or a tractor?That is the case for me in my area. I personally help a friend who has the land that the trail is on leased for the grazing of livestock. This reguires the use of such machines(ATV,trucks and tractors).So next time you see an ATV note if it is the type that might be used for working purposes(4 wheel drive maybe hauling materials things like that). As far as leaving things in your way such as logs and rocks,I'm an expert with a chain saw and my big 4 wheel drive tractor can move most rocks.Most of the time, if the person with the ATV has a right to be there they will tell the concerned hiker about what thier doing.If the ATV operator runs away then most likely they are not performing maintanance and most likely are not supposed to be there.
There might be certain cases where ATV use is permited on trail lands (although I doubt ON the trail) where easements have been granted, but I think this thread is talking about the "bootleg" use of the AT by ATVs.

For instance, I ran into a group of ATVers on the AT in New York. They barely even fit on the trail, and widened the vegetation, shredding rows of herbs and flowers as they went along. I stopped them when they got to me, and asked them what in the hell they were doing. I lied (very rare of me) and told them there was a ranger behind me on the trail going the other way, but he was nearby and probably heard them. They turned and left, but the damage had been done.

I'm not going to debate ATVs themselves, as my family uses them on our farm in Mississippi (although they aren't necessary to move cattle; get a border collie - much more lovable), but they simply do not belong on the AT, and the Congress of the United States agrees. In fact, I have a real problem with the ATV advertising that promotes using them on Forest Trails - not only is it a lazy way to get a trail experience, it's plain disrespectful in protected natural areas. Most trails are not built to sustain that kind of use (AT), and they are proven to be the most destructive use on trails, creating erosion, and generally ruining the experience.

There's no need for animosity or violence, just some mutual respect and the consideration to recognize how disturbing those machines are to the trail and the people who walk it (not to mention cattle).

Jaybird
04-25-2004, 10:00
Just attended a gathering of AT trail maintainers in the Berkshires. One issue discussed was the increasing use of ATVs on and near the trail. Just want to hear the perspective of hikers on this issue............................................. ........................................

DebW

I can only share the experience(s) i've had...so here goes:

Doll Flats (just past "the Humps") was a campsite last fall (Sept 2003) for a section-hike for "TeePee" & yours truly...we'd settled in...ate dinner...writing in journals....about to hit the tents for the nite...when we heard the LOUD ROAR OF ATVs (i think we counted 8)coming from every direction!

Seems the local 4 wheelers loved to use Doll Flats as their "start line" & then zoom as fast as they can into the meadows & brake hard before hitting a fence on back side of this meadow....loud, obnoxious, & lasted for about an hour.....the exhaust smells penetrated the air for 2 hours after they were gone....needless to say....i fell asleep anyway after a long day of hiking! ;)

Lone Wolf
04-04-2008, 05:50
Just attended a gathering of AT trail maintainers in the Berkshires. One issue discussed was the increasing use of ATVs on and near the trail. Just want to hear the perspective of hikers on this issue. Is it a serious problem? Have you seen ATVs riding of the AT? There are some state parks in Mass. in which ATVs are allowed, and ATV trails will cross the AT. But ATVers sometimes ignore or remove the 'foottravel only" signs at the trail crossings and ride on the trail itself, causing serious damage to the treadway.

By the way, the only place on the entire AT where snowmobiles are allowed is the Mass Pike overpass. That overpass is legally part of a snowmobile trail., but the snowmobile trail is officially closed in summer and there should be no ATV use there ever. But it happens. If you ever see ATVs riding on the trail, you could get their license number and report them.

minor problem

Tin Man
04-04-2008, 06:03
minor problem

and no more of a problem than cars sharing their trail at crossings

gsingjane
04-04-2008, 07:19
I haven't seen or heard ATV's on the AT, but on CT's blue-blazed trails they have caused many problems... primarily erosion, trail widening, smushing of vegetation, etc. One user family, that has refused for years to obey the law (and has been asked politely, warned, the whole deal) is now being prosecuted... they brought their machines out one day in a new-fallen snow, so the trail stewards took pictures of the tracks leading from their garage right onto the trail! Got 'em dead to rights!

Jane in CT