PDA

View Full Version : Rufus Morgan Shelter (w/picture)

timhines
01-29-2006, 17:56
I couldn't let this shelter go any longer without having a proper picture.

I walked up there today, sat in the shelter and enjoyed watching the wind blow while being warm inside away from the wind.

I also hiked on up the trail and ran into a hunting dog on the way back. No collar. But it was friendly enough.

FloridaHoosier
04-14-2008, 21:59
Good picture of Shelter!

Monkeyboy
07-13-2008, 20:53
No privy and very little flat land for camping.

Good water source.

Tenderheart
11-13-2008, 13:28
This picture brings back memories of 2000 thru hike. Bamboo Bob watched our gear while New Jersey Slacker and I went into the NOC for burgers and Ben & Jerry's. We surprised Bob with a large Wesser burger and a pint of ice cream. My dog and I were through here around the first of October of this year. There is no sign and the shelter is so hidden that you may miss it. Thanks for the picture.

litefoot 2000

Lyle
11-13-2008, 13:30
This picture brings back memories of 2000 thru hike. Bamboo Bob watched our gear while New Jersey Slacker and I went into the NOC for burgers and Ben & Jerry's. We surprised Bob with a large Wesser burger and a pint of ice cream. My dog and I were through here around the first of October of this year. There is no sign and the shelter is so hidden that you may miss it. Thanks for the picture.

litefoot 2000

I agree, very easy to miss. There should be a sign.

Berserker
05-26-2009, 12:39
I had read that this shelter did not have any room for tenting. There is actually a considerable amount of room out in the "clearing" in front of the shelter that the AT goes through. It's not particularly flat and parts of it would be bad to be on in heavy rain, but the point is that there is room to tent.

One thing I don't understand is why there isn't a privy at this shelter. If ever one needed a privy this one would be it. The "toilet" (the hill behind the shelter) is a nasty mine field. My buddy found that out the hard way.

Lone Wolf
05-26-2009, 12:44
One thing I don't understand is why there isn't a privy at this shelter. If ever one needed a privy this one would be it. The "toilet" (the hill behind the shelter) is a nasty mine field. My buddy found that out the hard way.

agree. if the maintaining clubs are gonna build stinkin' shelters they oughta build stinkin' privies to go with them

BlackCloud
10-19-2009, 00:00
I missed it...where was it???

Lyle
10-19-2009, 10:27

About 3/4 mile or so south of NOC.

Berserker
10-20-2009, 13:41
It's above the last large "clearing" you walk through before getting to the NOC. The "clearing" is a large dirt/leaf covered area that slopes down to where the spring is located. There is a fire ring there. The shelter is maybe 100 yards up the side trail, and likely not visible from the AT when there are leaves on the trees.

pjbarr
10-20-2009, 14:17
it's more like a small stream rather than a spring.

emerald
10-20-2009, 14:23
I'd be far more interested in a good picture of Rufus Morgan and people learning something about the man for whom it was named.

We'd accomplish more by going there. Can anyone deliver the goods?

pjbarr
10-20-2009, 14:23
per chance, i spent the first night alone that i've ever slept in a shelter here - having always had others present at the shelter before, even when hiking alone. good thing - it's small. like i'm sure so many other shelters do, this one has a tin roof that sounds like being inside a metal drum and having it banged with a hammer when acorns fall from the trees. spooks you when it wakes you from mid-sleep:eek:

pjbarr
10-20-2009, 14:25
delivered:

http://www.dnet.net/jparker/StFrancis/RevMorgan.html

emerald
10-20-2009, 14:37
Beautiful! I only wish it would say more about his specific contributions to the Appalachian Trail, but maybe someone has more of that kind of information from another source.

Bulldawg
10-20-2009, 14:48
Beautiful! I only wish it would say more about his specific contributions to the Appalachian Trail, but maybe someone has more of that kind of information from another source.

I'd be willing to bet Ronnie Haven could tell us.

pjbarr
10-20-2009, 15:12
this from the Nantahala Hiking Club's website:

In 1940, A. Rufus Morgan, an Episcopal Minister, returned to his family's home place in Macon Co. The following year he took responsibility for 55 miles in the Nantahalas, doing brushing, blazing and small tree removal. For 27 years he was called "the one-man hiking club" as he did trail maintenance with friends and boy scouts. His church work included building the first chapel for the Cherokees, years of service to St. Cyprian's negro congregation, prison camps and youth summer camps. All this with the responsibility of at least 6 congregations within a 60 miles radius, many times walking to his churches. He was an Appalachian Trail Conservancy Board member for over 20 years and was given Honorary membership in 1964. Dr. Morgan's hiking was well known at Mt. LeConte where he climbed to the camp at the top over 160 times during his lifetime. He passed away in 1983.

veteran
10-21-2009, 10:51

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7200&stc=1&d=1256136458

pjbarr
10-21-2009, 22:29
FWIW, the A. in A. Rufus Morgan stands for Albert, a la Albert Mountain (lookout tower). Albert Siler (as in Siler Bald, named for Rufus's greatgrandfather, William Siler) was Rufus's grandfather and an early settler, a man known to be able to speak the Cherokee language and was sympathetic to Cherokee people, even deeding them land which legally allowed them to avoid forced removal (although this wasn't always upheld).

AUhiker90
01-16-2010, 22:00
Very cool shelter and not too far away from NOC if you dont like paying for a room while on the river for a day

Doctari
01-16-2010, 22:25
No privy and very little flat land for camping.

You need flat ground to camp???? OH, a "tenter", sorry. LOL :p

When I was through there a few years ago, there were some flatish spots at least large enough for a 1 person tent. They were close to the stream. I almost stopped, but it was only 3PM, so I went on to NOC & got a bed in one of the hostel rooms.

MattRamsey
04-10-2010, 17:25
Yeah, I have camped out at this shelter before. We had a large group of 20, we were able to fit around ten in the shelter and the rest just camped out open skies in sleeping bags at the base of the shelter. The shelter is pretty hidden, we only discovered it because one of our group members went and its direction to find a good "pee spot".

You can set up five tents in this spot easy. The water source is fairly small though, a small stream running out of a plastic pipe. Very easy for it to drought out. But overall, great experience! Nice place to stay before heading in to town