PDA

View Full Version : Inch of snow predicted on Mt Washington today

peakbagger
06-02-2017, 06:24
Not summer yet in the Presidentials. The 10 day forecast is below average in the region, I expect SOBOS are going to justify bringing the right gear (or wishing they did)

Slo-go'en
06-02-2017, 10:41
It sure has been a cold and wet start to the summer. If this keeps up I'll have to order more propane and turn the heat back on :(

The AT weather app doesn't show snow for Lake of the Clouds Hut, but it will be cold, wet and windy up there this weekend and into next week. Looks like about the same for most of Maine. Lots of showers and temps in the high 50's during the day, high 30's at night. The early SOBO's are definitely in for a rough start.

Deacon
06-02-2017, 10:48
I just looked at the weather temperature records for Mt. Washington for July and August, for 2014 through 2016.

It very seldom, almost never gets above 60 degrees, and the nights are usually down to the mid 40's.

That convinced me to take more clothes for sure.

LoneStranger
06-02-2017, 10:49
Early SOBOs are going to be tested with a lot of wet and cold over the next week. We spent four cold wet days up in Baxter last weekend, but low mileage so we weren't out on trail for more than a few hours each day. The water crossings aren't much fun right now, running high and cold. Long range forecast doesn't really improve much until the end of the month either.

BuckeyeBill
06-02-2017, 10:58
It sure has been a cold and wet start to the summer. If this keeps up I'll have to order more propane and turn the heat back on :(

Or you can do what my mother and grandmother said, "If you're cold, put on a sweater and get a blanket.:D

Slo-go'en
06-02-2017, 11:28
Or you can do what my mother and grandmother said, "If you're cold, put on a sweater and get a blanket.:D

I'm still wearing my winter clothes! The dampness is becoming a problem, maybe I should invest in a de-humidifier.

Kaptainkriz
06-02-2017, 21:30
"Greeter" should be there now. What is the wind looking like?

peakbagger
06-03-2017, 07:04
Easiest way to see the weather on Mount Washington is go to the Observatory website, you can get all the info you want there.

Kaptainkriz
06-03-2017, 07:51
Thanks, I forgot about that!

Easiest way to see the weather on Mount Washington is go to the Observatory website, you can get all the info you want there.

4eyedbuzzard
06-03-2017, 11:43
Over many years I've seen various forms of frozen stuff fall from the sky in late May and early June in northern NH, even at lower elevations. Which is why we always say we only have two seasons in NH - winter and July.

While we tend to think meteorological summer is roughly the 3 months between Memorial Day to Labor Day (June, July August), but in northern NH and ME it's more reasonably only 2 months long - late June to late August.