PDA

View Full Version : Resupply Stops

Miles 2 Go
06-02-2017, 08:35
My hike is soon getting here, I'm so excited! My resupply plans are for the Western Route:

1. Breckenridge, take free bus from trail to town. Stay at The Bivi or Fireside Inn overnight.
2. Twin Lakes, short walk to store. Probably just camp by lake, doesn't seem like any inexpensive places to stay overnight. Is there any place to do laundry and possibly take a shower?
3.Monarch Crest Store, hitch a ride to Salida and overnight at the Simple Lodge and Hostel. Will this be a hard hitch, what about shuttle service or cabs?
4. Lake City, take free shuttle service to town from trailhead and overnight at The Ravens Rest Hostel
5.Silverton, get shuttle service from Blair Street Hostel and overnight.

I will send mail drops to the places that I'm staying at. My goal at each place would be to do laundry, get a shower, some good meals and to recharge my electronics. I think my resupply places are easy to get rides to except maybe Salida. Any advice on improving my resupply plans or your experiences at those locations I'd like to hear about.

Also I'll be flying into Denver Airport Sunday July 2 and should be landing around 9:00am. I'm looking for a trail angel to get a ride to Waterton Canyon the same day. If anyone is interested pm or email me at [email protected]

ddanko2
06-02-2017, 08:47
Ambitious plans to get to Waterton.

1. Breckenridge is good, but my wife and I ended up staying in Frisco/Dillon instead. Had an outfitter, brewery, and good food next door.

2. Twin Lakes will run you $90+ for lodging, so yep, camp by lake.

3. Salida should be a fairly easy hitch

Only have done these stretches so cannot comment on 4 and 5!

StubbleJumper
06-02-2017, 09:54
A few comments:

1) Why are you planning to bugger around with mail-drops? There are excellent grocery stores in Breck and in Salida. Twin has a store with limited re-supply options, but you can certainly make it work. I've never been to Lake City, but I understand that it has a small supermarket. And Silverton has a small, but adequate supermarket. There's a potential argument in favour of a mail drop to Twin (because the store is marginal), but you should have no trouble at all to resupply at the other four places. Why would you tie yourself down with a rigid resupply plan? My personal preference is to buy as I go, which enables me to adjust my purchases for whatever cravings I might be feeling (ie, sometimes you'll want to eat nothing but Idahoan night after night, but on other occasions, the mere thought of potatoes will make you want to vomit...and you'll crave pepperoni wraps with avocado).

2) Consider the possibility of slack-packing from Breck. It does cost a bit more money, but you can leave most of your gear in Breck and take the bus from Breck to Copper and then walk back to Breck. The Copper-Breck slack-pack is one of the joys of the CT in that you traverse the 10-mile range with only perhaps 10 lbs of gear on your back. The 10-mile range is stunning, and it's a real pleasure to hike it without a 30 lb pack. In Breck, I stayed at the Fireside -- in the context of being a hostel, it's not cheap, but the owners are top-notch and you get a good place to stay for the money spent.

3) As ddanko noted, accommodations are a bit steep in Twin (you should be thinking ~$100). There's a general store where you can do a marginal re-supply and the tavern serves a good burger. I'm not sure that camping is permitted/appreciated near the visitor centre beside the lake in town. If you want to camp near the lake, you probably should be planning to re-supply in the store (or collect your re-supply box at the store) and then continue another 4-ish miles out of town, past the dam where you can find some camping.

4) Salida's not the easiest hitch, but it's not impossible either. It's a good full-service town. The Simple Hostel is an okay facility, but it tends to be busy during the summer with hordes of cyclists, so you might need a reservation. There are a few cheap, sleazy motels along Route 50 which can be an alternative to the Simple Hostel, but they are more expensive (when I say cheap and sleazy, I mean the type of motels that hikers love!). You can either hitch back to the trail, or arrange a shuttle (probably $20).

5) Never been to Lake City, but other hikers had good things to say. Given that the shuttle is scheduled for once per day, you'll need to think about where you need to spend the night so that you'll have time to hike to Spring Creek Pass in the morning. Perhaps Middle Mineral Creek would be about right, but it's something that you'll need to think about a couple of days in advance so you can get set up properly for an easy morning hike to the trail head.

6) Getting a hitch into Silverton has not been a problem for me (took less than 5 minutes for me, on both occasions that I did it). About 200 yards from where the trail hits the road at Molas Pass, there's a wayside where tourists stop and enjoy the view, take pictures, etc. If you walk over there and chat with some of them, you should easily be able to yogi the 5-mile ride into Silverton. I've never stayed at the Blair Street Hostel as there are also a few modestly priced motels. The store in Silverton isn't cheap, but it has everything a hiker needs for a 4 or 5 day re-supply. Getting a hitch out of Silverton was a bit more of a chore as there wasn't much southbound traffic in the morning.

lonehiker
06-02-2017, 10:21
My hike is soon getting here, I'm so excited! My resupply plans are for the Western Route:

1. Breckenridge, take free bus from trail to town. Stay at The Bivi or Fireside Inn overnight.
2. Twin Lakes, short walk to store. Probably just camp by lake, doesn't seem like any inexpensive places to stay overnight. Is there any place to do laundry and possibly take a shower?
3.Monarch Crest Store, hitch a ride to Salida and overnight at the Simple Lodge and Hostel. Will this be a hard hitch, what about shuttle service or cabs?
4. Lake City, take free shuttle service to town from trailhead and overnight at The Ravens Rest Hostel
5.Silverton, get shuttle service from Blair Street Hostel and overnight.

I will send mail drops to the places that I'm staying at. My goal at each place would be to do laundry, get a shower, some good meals and to recharge my electronics. I think my resupply places are easy to get rides to except maybe Salida. Any advice on improving my resupply plans or your experiences at those locations I'd like to hear about.

Also I'll be flying into Denver Airport Sunday July 2 and should be landing around 9:00am. I'm looking for a trail angel to get a ride to Waterton Canyon the same day. If anyone is interested pm or email me at [email protected]

You have a viable plan so go for it. Report back what worked well and what didn't.

Slo-go'en
06-02-2017, 10:59
I had a bit of an adventure getting to Waterton Canyon. I arrived in Denver about noon on the Amtrak train. I then took the light rail to Littleton, then found a friendly bus driver (one of those mini-buses) who took me to near the entrance to the Chartfield state park (at no charge, but I had to walk about a mile down the highway to get to the actual entrance and found out the camping area was another 2 miles away, but at that point I was able to hitch a ride to the camping area).

I was then able to hike from the park to the canyon the next morning, which was about 6 miles. I hiked up the canyon to the first camping area, about another 8 miles. No wonder I was worn out just starting! I hope you can find a shuttle.

hikeandbike5
06-02-2017, 11:10
it seems like i've posted this in every ct resupply thread for the last year or so.

resupply in:

frisco
twin lakes
salida
lake city
silverton

no need to mess around with maildrops.

MuddyWaters
06-02-2017, 12:45
Call an uber from mineral station. The app will likely show several cars in area. Arrive at 9, you can be on trail at lunch. Side trip to rei downton to get cannister may add hr.
If mail anything ahead, po downtown add more time.

I found it best to just spend leisurely day downtown. Maybe take in ball game is schedule agrees. Downtown denver is pretty cool place to spend a day.

If you get off at garfield, as opposed to monarch pass, the monarch lodge is 2 miles off the trail. May be easier place to wrangle ride than at the pass. Theres a taxi service in salida that covers the area as well, so you do got option, not cheap though

saltysack
06-02-2017, 14:21
I'm flying in same day as you but plan to start walking out of IC the next morning....read CR sticky about Denver logistics if you haven't....I can only comment about salida....simple hostel is great...kind of a pita getting in/out of Salida last September....$35 cab ride out Rocky man taxi....try Chaffee shuttle if it's during week only $10 if not in a hurry. I'm on a tight schedule so plan to send package to MC store. I'm still trying to decide on lake city or riding into gunnison with apple. The rest of my plans look similar.....maybe see ya out there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCx
06-02-2017, 15:22
Twin Lakes has a hostel for $25 a night on AirBnB https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18909641?location=twin%20lakes%20colorado&s=4ajD3dEX (https://www.airbnb.com/s/twin-lakes-colorado/homes?allow_override%5B%5D=&ne_lat=39.21942358070905&ne_lng=-106.19080812903383&room_types%5B%5D=Shared%20room&search_by_map=true&sw_lat=38.79477157098518&sw_lng=-106.60760195227601&zoom=11&s_tag=n-pRc7i4)

StubbleJumper
06-02-2017, 17:15
Twin Lakes has a hostel for $25 a night on AirBnB https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18909641?location=twin%20lakes%20colorado&s=4ajD3dEX (https://www.airbnb.com/s/twin-lakes-colorado/homes?allow_override%5B%5D=&ne_lat=39.21942358070905&ne_lng=-106.19080812903383&room_types%5B%5D=Shared%20room&search_by_map=true&sw_lat=38.79477157098518&sw_lng=-106.60760195227601&zoom=11&s_tag=n-pRc7i4)

That's awesome! It's nice to have another lower-cost option for hikers. It'll be good for the general store and for the tavern because most hikers will be looking for snacks, a meal or beer!

Miles 2 Go
06-02-2017, 21:53
ddanko2, I'd like to think it more eager to be on trail. So if my flight is on time I should be fine, but there is always a plan B if needed.

StumbleJumper, I hear you on shopping in towns, but this is my first long distant hike and hope mail drops are easier. My thoughts were if I need to add food or crave any foods I can still shop for them and supplement my mail drops.

lonehiker I will post after my hike on how it went for me.

Slo-go'en I hope my trip to Waterton go a little more smoothly than yours did LOL.

hikeandbike5 looks like my stopping locations are what you'd recomend except for Breckenridge.

MuddyWaters, REI for fuel is for sure and I need to put the Uber app on my phone.

saltysack was the cab/shuttle pick up from Monarch Crest Gift Shop to Sailida? The $10-$35 cost doesn't sound to bad if I can't get a hitch. With your start date so close to mine and the MPD you'll be hiking I'd say there is a good chance we will meet on the trail.

TyCx, I emailed the hostel for some information and will most likely over night their if I can.

Thank you all for your insight and help with my trip planning. I do look forward to meeting people out on the trail and maybe even some of you on this site.

saltysack
06-02-2017, 22:44
ddanko2, I'd like to think it more eager to be on trail. So if my flight is on time I should be fine, but there is always a plan B if needed.

StumbleJumper, I hear you on shopping in towns, but this is my first long distant hike and hope mail drops are easier. My thoughts were if I need to add food or crave any foods I can still shop for them and supplement my mail drops.

lonehiker I will post after my hike on how it went for me.

Slo-go'en I hope my trip to Waterton go a little more smoothly than yours did LOL.

hikeandbike5 looks like my stopping locations are what you'd recomend except for Breckenridge.

MuddyWaters, REI for fuel is for sure and I need to put the Uber app on my phone.

saltysack was the cab/shuttle pick up from Monarch Crest Gift Shop to Sailida? The $10-$35 cost doesn't sound to bad if I can't get a hitch. With your start date so close to mine and the MPD you'll be hiking I'd say there is a good chance we will meet on the trail.

TyCx, I emailed the hostel for some information and will most likely over night their if I can.

Thank you all for your insight and help with my trip planning. I do look forward to meeting people out on the trail and maybe even some of you on this site.

I hitched into Salida twice and it took about 45 min each time....getting back out from simple caught ride to poncha then after hour or so of trying to hitch I called a cab....$35.....chafee shuttles operates during the week...

hikeandbike5
06-03-2017, 11:49
the reason why i don't recommend a mail drop at breckenridge is that the postoffice literally shares a building with a grocery store: http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles7053.jpg

and there is a larger kroger just a few blocks away.

saltysack
06-03-2017, 11:54
the reason why i don't recommend a mail drop at breckenridge is that the postoffice literally shares a building with a grocery store: http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles7053.jpg

and there is a larger kroger just a few blocks away.

Sending to hostel where staying for night...I never do post offices...get stuck if don't make in time or day....

MuddyWaters
06-03-2017, 12:37
For those that have never used uber..thought id mention

Free $20 promotion for first ride

So that ride from mineral station to waterton can be essentially free...maybe $5 on sat.:)

Miles 2 Go
06-03-2017, 13:19
saltysack I also will not be sending my drop boxes to the post office, I will send them via UPS to the places I'm stopping at.

MuddyWaters thanks for the promotion heads up with Uber.

MuddyWaters
06-03-2017, 13:40
saltysack I also will not be sending my drop boxes to the post office, I will send them via UPS to the places I'm stopping at.

MuddyWaters thanks for the promotion heads up with Uber.

I think the simple hostel may say to sent it USPS. But you might want to check. They are a couple blocks from PO, the PO has no problem finding them.

Its late to suggest it, but I always say if have good credit and can always pay in full, plan ahead and sign up and churn credit cards that give sign up bonuses redemmable for travel (barclays world mastercard, capital one venture, etc). Free $500 redeemable against credit charges. Taxis, bus, trains, motels, hostels, all apply. All charges from hotel/transport/ hostel/etc can apply when not itemized separately on bills, Ive had resupply fees, mailing charges, even food covered. Takes the wallet sting off of yearly trips. And when you get to a town, and are tired after 7 days on trail, its nice to stay in a nice place without worry, and not a crappy dive. Ive had several thousand dollars of free travel related expenses from these. Thats not counting the 15-25 free nights per year I usually spend in hotels using points I accumulated thru work travel ,or freq flyer miles from same (several thousand $ per yr of free travel). The one perk to spending 100-150 nights per yr travelling for work.

handlebar
06-04-2017, 09:13
No problems hitching into Salida, Lake City (twice) or Silverton. All have good grocery stores for resupply as does Breck. I sent a mail drop to Twin Lakes General Store, but check to see if they still accept. Highly recommend Simple Hostel in Salida, Ravens Rest in Lake City, and hostels in Breck as well as the slack pack using Summit Stage (check their web site for free bus schedules). Suggest reserving a bed at Simple Hostel in advance if you can predict your arrival. Managed to hitch both into and out of Silverton and do my resupply with only about 3 hours off trail.

Miles 2 Go
06-04-2017, 13:18
MuddyWaters I emailed Simple Hostel to see if they take packages via UPS. Also good advice on the credit card, I am doing that to help offset the cost of the trip.

handlebar, good to know getting a hitch should not be so hard into those places. I hope the General Store will be open at Twin Lakes and I can get a bed at the new hostel too. I will be calling the store soon to see if they will be taking packages and have sent the new hostel an email asking for some info.

Wolf - 23000
06-05-2017, 06:42
StubbleJumper, hit on this about mail drops. You are better off buying food as you go. The CT has several fair size supermarkets and to mail anything from PA to Colorado it is going to be some $$. I stayed in Lake City for several days. Great people and fair place to resupply. No supermarket but 2 general stores.

MuddyWaters
06-06-2017, 22:19
Mail drops are good in my book for shorter hikes of only a couple weeks.

Takes too much work to get freeze dried meals, condiment packets, Aqua Mira, etc in addition to grocery store food. Time spent repackaging sucks too. Also no reason to carry all your maps or guidebook pages at once.

If you dont use them things, much simpler. Theres something to be said for simple.

Miles 2 Go
06-07-2017, 16:21
FYI, Just talked to the nice folks at the Simple Lodge & Hostel in Salida. They do except drop boxes via UPS or FedEx.

saltysack
06-07-2017, 17:02
FYI, Just talked to the nice folks at the Simple Lodge & Hostel in Salida. They do except drop boxes via UPS or FedEx.

Great hostel...can't beat the pizza at Moonlight pizza just down street! Breakfast burritos were also top notch at brown dog coffee....

Venchka
06-07-2017, 19:43
Great hostel...can't beat the pizza at Moonlight pizza just down street! Breakfast burritos were also top notch at brown dog coffee....

I'm going to have to put Salida on my route this summer.
Wayne